• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Alpende

So what are the purposes of Power Conduits? Why can't I attach wires from them to switches so I can use light bulbs? Really annoying... I'm trying to light up my house and the most I can do is use one light bulb.

light bulbs work near the vicinity of power conduits and power poles. No need for switches to turn them on.

void666

Banned
Is the jetpack attachment for power armor interchangeable between all of the different models of armor?

Also, if I put a jetpack on a suit of power armor that my companion wars will they be able to utilize it as well?

I don't think so. NPCs already have enough trouble with path finding as it is.

psylah

I only have like 70 fusion cores atm, but I think each full one is 500 rounds for the Gatling Laser, so if you combine that with the perk that makes them last twice as long, you'd essentially be good for a very long time.

Hmm I have that perk, but I only thought about it in terms of lengthening the use of my Power Armor.

I wanted one but didn't want to pay for it, so I followed a BoS member who had one and he was a sliver of life away from dying when he killed the last Raider in the area.

Is the jetpack attachment for power armor interchangeable between all of the different models of armor?

Also, if I put a jetpack on a suit of power armor that my companion wars will they be able to utilize it as well?

The jetpack is a mod for the Torso, so it goes where the torso goes. take it off of one frame and put it on another.

Chitown B

the whole defending settlements thing is broken. I won't even get a notice mine is being attacked and then I'll fast travel and it will say that I failed a defense of my settlement. WTF

Chitown B

Why is everyone saying Sneak is broken? I keep getting spotted, even with 3 points invested in the perk. It's killing my urge to continue playing my melee character.

did you mistype? you asked why people are saying it's broken, and then show that it's broken for you.

it's broken for me too - I have 4 points in Sneak and I have quite a few magazines for sneak boost, plus I have chameleon armor and silenced weapons - enemies still see me the second I start shooting.

Lakitu

st5fu
light bulbs work near the vicinity of power conduits and power poles. No need for switches to turn them on.

I've tried that using power conduits and it doesn't work for me. Just connect a wire to the conduit from the generator. Then I place a lightbulb near it and it still won't light up.

I'm getting more and more frustrated with the settlement stuff. Like I assign my NPCs to certain locations and they don't do anything. I must have assigned that deadbeat Sheffield like 2 or 3 times and he just doesn't do what he's supposed to. Except he moves my shit. Can't stand him.

Alpende

I've tried that using power conduits and it doesn't work for me. Just connect a wire to the conduit from the generator. Then I place a lightbulb near it and it still won't light up.

I'm getting more and more frustrated with the settlement stuff. Like I assign my NPCs to certain locations and they don't do anything. I must have assigned that deadbeat Sheffield like 2 or 3 times and he just doesn't do what he's supposed to. Except he moves my shit. Can't stand him.

Try connecting the generator to a power pylon and connecting that pylon to the conduit.

Finally, a usable legendary drop. Combat Rifle with Instigating (Does double damage if the target is at full health). A modded combat rifle was already my workhorse weapons, so getting double damage with my opening shots, especially on top of a 3x sneak multiplier is pretty great.

ReaperXL7

Game is just amazing, every time I tell myself nothing can top one thing or another and something always comes along to prove me wrong.

The Silver Shroud quest=Awesome

Randomly coming across an abandoned mining operation that's clearly become haunted and being presented with random flashbacks to what happened= Fantastic

Coming across two massive death claws and an Assualtron duking it out in the middle of a radiation storm while aimlessly exploring= amazing.

It's not always easy to explain but there really is no other Dev out there that makes games like Bethesda. I often wonder if Bethesda could fix many of the issues with a new engine but building that new engine ment no more mods for awhile what the reactions would be. I also wonder if a new engine would kill a lot of the things I love about their games.

N° 2048

Game is just amazing, every time I tell myself nothing can top one thing or another and something always comes along to prove me wrong.

The Silver Shroud quest=Awesome

Randomly coming across an abandoned mining operation that's clearly become haunted and being presented with random flashbacks to what happened= Fantastic

Coming across two massive death claws and an Assualtron duking it out in the middle of a radiation storm while aimlessly exploring= amazing.

It's not always easy to explain but there really is no other Dev out there that makes games like Bethesda. I often wonder if Bethesda could fix many of the issues with a new engine but building that new engine ment no more mods for awhile what the reactions would be. I also wonder if a new engine would kill a lot of the things I love about their games.

This game is something else man. Seriously. Another level.
One of the best experiences I've had in YEARS.

Watevaman

Finally, a usable legendary drop. Combat Rifle with Instigating (Does double damage if the target is at full health). A modded combat rifle was already my workhorse weapons, so getting double damage with my opening shots, especially on top of a 3x sneak multiplier is pretty great.

You can buy one called the Overseer's Guardian that shoots double on every shot from
Vault 81

Did I fuck up the Silver Shroud quest because I already looted (location)
Hubris Comics
?

Also, quest items still don't weigh anything right?

N° 2048

Did I fuck up the Silver Shroud quest because I already looted (location)
Hubris Comics
?

Also, quest items still don't weigh anything right?

If anything you're ahead of the game, haha. You don't have to go get the quest items you just hit the speech option "I have this item already,"

Lakitu

st5fu
Oh my god.

East City Downs. lol

Turning the robots against the raiders/triggermen is fucking hilarious and makes for an awesome battle.

Why is everyone saying Sneak is broken? I keep getting spotted, even with 3 points invested in the perk. It's killing my urge to continue playing my melee character.

I think it is but from time to time, it gets its uses. The problem I have is that the a.i. is extremely range sensitive. No matter where you are shooting from they will always know where you are shooting from. Do not fire another shot after your initial shot from long range because they will know where you and they will shoot you with accuracy, especially if they have explosives (which they will spam like crazy until they run out of explosives). They also apparently can hear very, very well hearing you coming from a mile away. In that sense, it is broken all the time lol.

You also have to realize that max damage capability favor sneaking essentially forcing you into a sneaking character.

10x melee sneaking damage
Instant death sandman kills
3.5x the damage of your ranged attacks
Silenced weapons do 50% more sneaking damage

You also can't forget that weapons can also come with the legendary Instigating name, doubling the damage of any weapon when your opponent is at full health. Yeah, do the math lol.

Find a halfway decent melee weapon that can deal close to 100 damage and you can find yourself dealing well over 1k damage or close to it on any enemy that doesn't see you.

If you can fully mod a Gauss rifle, you are nearly unstoppable since that gun can deal over 1k worth of damage suppressed and while sneaking. 350ish damage, multiplier of 4.5 with both sneaking skills maxed, and you can deal 1.6k worth of damage. I can almost one-hit a legendary mythic deathclaw on survival. Holy crap, imagine a Instigating Suppressed Gauss Rilfe!! That would destroy almost everything in one hit lol9

It's crazy how much damage you receive from the sneaking skills. Fallout 4 is essentially allowing us to be an OP sneaking god/goddess since they didn't put in any level cap :/ -> :)

Watevaman

So guys, where the hell do I find 1) deathclaw variants (I've only come across one Legendary Alpha, rest have been regular deathclaws) and 2) behemoths (once again, I've only come across 2 in 70 hours)?

edit: I'm level 47 atm, too.

ReaperXL7

So guys, where the hell do I find 1) deathclaw variants (I've only come across one Legendary Alpha, rest have been regular deathclaws) and 2) behemoths (once again, I've only come across 2 in 70 hours)?

edit: I'm level 47 atm, too.

Death claws I have seen northeast around the Salem area and in the southwest near the glowing sea(this is where the monster death match went down for me)

Behemoths I have only come across two one at fort strong (which is scripted) and the other I can't remember where I came across it unfortunately.

Beefy

So I have done MacCready's quest yet haven't got his perk? Any one know how long after he gives his perk to you?

I found a glowing Deathclaw in the swamps down in the southern region of the map.

So I killed Gristle early on in the minigun segment in Concord but forgot to loot his body and it's gone now. Is there any other way to find the Corvega Storage Key? (I'm on PS4). I know I can unlock the storage room later on but the OCD in me hates knowing there's a missable item I can NEVER obtain.

So glad to have read all the responses about the legendary drops. Good to see it's not just me. Now I know I'll just have to up the difficulty and grind it out a bit more.

haikira

As someone who's defended this game as not being all that buggy from what I'd played, I'm starting to get hit by an awful lot of issues. Notable ones being, last week an optional objective for Human Error couldn't be completed, now Feeding the Troops quest for Proctor Teagan is stuck in an infinite loop, and just a bunch of other small ones.

I love this game, I really do, but shit like this can make it hard to enjoy sometimes.

For mods, do you use the manager on nexus or just do it by yourself. I'm sort of new to mods, I've only done some things for KOTOR/2 and a few other games. What's the best way to go?

So I've just finished after 31 or so hours and I don't know how I feel. I went with
the minutemen and I was friendly with the Brotherhood of Steel.
I have mixed feelings - I enjoyed it, but the last third or so of the main quest felt weak and kind of put me off continuing.. I now feel no motivation to play. I did enjoy it though.

So I've just finished after 31 or so hours and I don't know how I feel. I went with
the minutemen and I was friendly with the Brotherhood of Steel.
I have mixed feelings - I enjoyed it, but the last third or so of the main quest felt weak and kind of put me off continuing.. I now feel no motivation to play. I did enjoy it though.

I'm at 65 hours and don't think I'm anywhere near the end :lol

Haven't got around to playing this yet but am about to pick it up and give it a go. Before diving in, I wanted to get an opinion or two so I can set my expectations going in. I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I've tried to remain on something of a media blackout, so it'll be news to me.

Basically, I understand the complaints with the performance and visuals, lack of innovation, or dumbing down of role-playing elements. That said, my favorite thing about Fallout 3 was roaming the wasteland and happening upon random settlements of people or other points of interest, with no obvious "gamey" indication of, "Hey, player! Go here and check THIS out!" It was a game that rewarded curiosity and exploration with the deliciously unexpected. Assuming I can look past all of the aforementioned issues, will I get something similar to what I enjoyed so much about Fallout 3?

If anything, Bethesda has doubled down on this aspect of the game. I'm 100+ hours in and am still finding new things at random locations. I'd ignored a random repeatable quest to clear out a place I'd never been, and I figured it would just be a bunch of raiders in an abandoned warehouse or something. There turned out to be two interwoven storylines told through computer terminals and holotapes.

I'm actually a little scared about how I'll like the game once I've unveiled everything on the map, and will probably intentionally leave some places unexplored for a future all-DLC run. But like I said: 100+ hours and still finding new stuff.

If anything, Bethesda has doubled down on this aspect of the game. I'm 100+ hours in and am still finding new things at random locations. I'd ignored a random repeatable quest to clear out a place I'd never been, and I figured it would just be a bunch of raiders in an abandoned warehouse or something. There turned out to be two interwoven storylines told through computer terminals and holotapes.

I'm actually a little scared about how I'll like the game once I've unveiled everything on the map, and will probably intentionally leave some places unexplored for a future all-DLC run. But like I said: 100+ hours and still finding new stuff.

Have you found the Saw inspired maze yet?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Current Status: Ballin'

LqWlPv8.jpg

Dries

So, I just started the quest in
Covenant
(location name). I made my way all the way into the
Sewers and straight up to the lady scientist
(quest details) just by passing CHR checks. So awesome. Had to save the game right there to spend some time with the missus but I'm really impressed about all the small details in this quest. There are a lot of interactable objects which your hero will comment on when you press A. I love stuff like that. Also loving the whole Voight-Kampff tribute vibe.

For mods, do you use the manager on nexus or just do it by yourself. I'm sort of new to mods, I've only done some things for KOTOR/2 and a few other games. What's the best way to go?

Nexus Mod Manager all the way. Would you rather move and install mods manually or would you rather have software that does all the stuff for you? It's so easy.

Can anyone advise whether I'd enjoy this game? Posted something similar in the xenoblade thread :) I immensely enjoy some JRPGs (ffx, p4g, terranigma, stick of truth, but not much else), adventure (TLOU, sunset, TR), platformers (yoshis world), and love FPS games' particularly a good campaign (eg I love all Halo games).

That said, I don't enjoy popular games like bloodborne (too hard), witcher (too complex, always having to stop to upgrade or craft), MGS V (loved gameplay, but too slow moving, too grindy, prefer more action), mass effect (cool setting but always play 20 hrs then never finish), and even CoD.

So is Fallout 4 something I would enjoy?

Se_7_eN

Haven't got around to playing this yet but am about to pick it up and give it a go. Before diving in, I wanted to get an opinion or two so I can set my expectations going in. I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I've tried to remain on something of a media blackout, so it'll be news to me.

Basically, I understand the complaints with the performance and visuals, lack of innovation, or dumbing down of role-playing elements. That said, my favorite thing about Fallout 3 was roaming the wasteland and happening upon random settlements of people or other points of interest, with no obvious "gamey" indication of, "Hey, player! Go here and check THIS out!" It was a game that rewarded curiosity and exploration with the deliciously unexpected. Assuming I can look past all of the aforementioned issues, will I get something similar to what I enjoyed so much about Fallout 3?

Personally, I didn't think anything would come close to 3, but this has... The exploration and random hidden stories / lore is also my favorite aspect (like you), I was really worried it would be dumbed down or removed for 4 and it was not... If anything there is a LOT more of it.
I am over 80 hours in, and haven't even completed the 4th Main Storyline quest because of the amount of exploration and side stories there are... Absolutely amazing game, if you hear a name or see something strange, I can almost guarantee you can learn the story behind it or find it somewhere in the Commonwealth.

Fallout 3 was my favorite game ever made, until I played Fallout 4. Now I am not so sure.... And that is saying something.

did you mistype? you asked why people are saying it's broken, and then show that it's broken for you.

it's broken for me too - I have 4 points in Sneak and I have quite a few magazines for sneak boost, plus I have chameleon armor and silenced weapons - enemies still see me the second I start shooting.

Yeah its irritating, especially with mole rats. At night I shoot one far distance from me with my silence sniper, crouched with chameleon armor. Some how the rest of the pack know were I am and burrow into the ground and pop up right underneath me :(

Nah son, don't do shit manually. Can fuck something up. Until mod organizer is released or fallout steamworkshop is out, nexus mod manager is the way to go. It's super easy and super difficult to get wrong. You literally click the download button on a mods nexus web page and it starts downloading on the nexus mod manager and click the green check mark on the mod to install it once it done downloading. And your done. Launch the game and the mod is there. Wwaayyy better than trying to figure out which mod goes into which folder and fucking it up.

N° 2048

Nah son, don't do shit manually. Can fuck something up. Until mod organizer is released or fallout steamworkshop is out, nexus mod manager is the way to go. It's super easy and super difficult to get wrong. You literally click the download button on a mods nexus web page and it starts downloading on the nexus mod manager and click the green check mark on the mod to install it once it done downloading. And your done. Launch the game and the mod is there. Wwaayyy better than trying to figure out which mod goes into which folder and fucking it up.

Yep, either one works great.

Moonstone

I also increased the difficulty to Hard a few days ago, and feel like the quality of legendary drops are worse. Most of the weapons I'm using now were either story weapons, ones I bought off a vendor, or ones I collected from before I moved up in difficulty. I've had better luck with armor, though; one new arm piece with +1 STR/END, which I NEED for carrying things.

Drops are random. You can get a lot of legendary crap. But you will meet more legendary enemies on higher difficulties, which means more legendaries. RNG.

Messed around with VATS and crafting in sanctuary and tested it. I formerly used big scopes on my guns (pistols), because stats looked better. But after some testing I switched from short scope to reflex sight on my Kellogs 44. Can now do 10 shots in VATS instead of 5, while I lose 7 points of accuracy.

Funny thing is, I can also use it ranged weapon as I get +15% for every limb shot shot thanks to concentrated fire perk. Build a bolt action sniper without big scope and it's way better than my former night visioned hunting rifle.

I also found out that some rifles can be converted to guns (so gunslinger applies) and vice versa. Depends on the stock. But it doesn't work for all weapon types. Some weapons can't be converted. 44 will be a pistol, hunting rifle will remain a rifle.
But you can turn Rightous Authority into a gun and use it, if you are more skilled for pistolero.

Level 28 now and my Kellogs does 129 damage with 10 shots in VATS. Have also maxed critical banker and four leaf clover. And after every crit I get all Action Points back. Damage is insane now.

The jet pack is not interchangeable between different power armor models. If you build one for the x01, it won't fit on the t45 and so on and vise versa.

And companions don't use the jet pack. So its a complete waste.

I learned the both of these out the hard way.

sappyday

I hope there is an exploit to allow more than 20 settlers for a settlement. I'm on PS4 so I have to wait for mods to arrive.

JJD

Guys can someone help me?

I want to make the Vault Tec Rep a merchant on my main settlement. Thing is, I sent him to run a caravan between Sanctuary and the Red Rocket Post.

Now every time I talk to him he just opens the trade window and doesn't let me send him back to Sanctuary or assign him a shop I already build.

How can I make him go back there?

I'm playing on the PS4 by the way, so I can't use console commands.

Nevermind, I figured it out.

Macready still hasn't given me his perk. I guess it's a bug? Also fully upgraded my X-01 armour now.
It took a while for me. Longer than anyone (except Strong). I found I had to walk around with him for quite a while actively fighting raiders etc. I even wondered if getting headshots helped. Pretty sure all the "(character) idolizes you" came during combat.

I want to make the Vault Tec Rep a merchant on my main settlement. Thing is, I sent him to run a caravan between Sanctuary and the Red Rocket Post.

Now every time I talk to him he just opens the trade window and doesn't let me send him back to Sanctuary or assign him a shop I already build.

I think you can change his role when he is in one of your settlements but not when they are travelling between them. No idea if this works though.

sappyday

I think you have to wait for him to go back to Sanctuary and open up the workshop menu and command him to do something else. However I learned that he's terrible to assign a shop to since for me it would be on it but only repeat the same stupid stuff about feeling better.

Aces&Eights

50 hours in and level 38 and the Overseer's Guardian is still my go to gun. Thing just lays waste to everything. On Survival mode.

Top Bottom