• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

ramyeon

Idiot Savant definitely makes you level fairly quickly. I started the game with INT 6 and idiot savant as my first perk. I just finished the main storyline after ~ 130 hrs at level 64 with still a few major quests left - most of my quests failed because
I sided with the institute

Edit:

It depends on what type of character you want to play as, but in general, your SPECIAL stats dictate which perks are available. (Also keep in mind whether or not you want to depend on getting bobbleheads or not to increase the special stats w/o leveling).
For instance, I wanted to play as a sniper with increased damage from sneaking, so I put 7 points in agility to unlock the "Ninja" Perk. I also put 5 in luck to unlock "idiot savant" to level faster.
In addition, I wanted the benefits of modded armor and guns, so I placed 3 points in strength and 6 in intelligence to unlock "armorer", "gun nut", and "science".

Here are some links to help choosing perks:
http://www.gosunoob.com/fallout-4/perks-list/
http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/get-perky-a-ratings-guide-for-every-perk-in-fallout-4

Really depends how you want to play. Luck is probably the best stat, at least IMO.
Though the game has no level cap and you are able to put a level point into either a perk or a skill point so I doubt it really matters. Will just take longer. (My friend is hovering around Level 84 right now and has done almost everything. He has Idiot Savant L3, and about 6 Int or so)
Thanks for the replies! Really just looking for the best all rounder set up for a first play through since I'm new to the series and don't know enough about perks etc to plan a proper build my first time around.

joecanada

Thanks for the replies! Really just looking for the best all rounder set up for a first play through since I'm new to the series and don't know enough about perks etc to plan a proper build my first time around.

Ha, even though I'm a fallout veteran, I for some reason thought when you first levelled you had to add to your SPECIAL, I didn't even think to scroll down to the actual perks (I have no clue why) so I actually ended up with a fairly competent character in all stats, but fell behind in perks (but you make it up later anyway) ... so it really doesn't matter except at the beginning. I actually started with a strength build and wrecked stuff with melee, but morphed into sneak melee/rifle/explosives guy........

Valus

Anyone else notice how the Super Sledge becomes one handed in 3rd person if you have power armor? Your attack speed is a lot faster as well, yet when you go first person he does the 2h animated swings so it's a lot slower. You can also cancel attack animations by switching views in the middle of an attack. It is hilarious how quickly you can swing the super sledge by swinging in 3rd person and resetting the animation.

Rflagg

So I just did/found the
"treasure' of the Jamaica plains holy hell you have to disable like fifty laser tripwires and get a crappy world series bat

I won't have anyone speaking ill of the '76 baseball bat.

Has anyone done an idiot savant character with an INT of 3 or more? How did the the bonus XP feel?I want the perk to be the most effective, but I don't think I can live without Gun Nut.

EDIT oh you guys were JUST talking about this. Sorry, thanks for the info.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
So I just did/found the
"treasure' of the Jamaica plains holy hell you have to disable like fifty laser tripwires and get a crappy world series bat

I think you mean "awesome" instead of crappy. Seriously - when the special feature of that weapon procs it's hilarious.

v0mitg0d

So I was in Diamond City taking care of some business when suddenly a Triggerman started taking shots at me. I have no idea who they are or what quests set them off, but I didnt want to attack back just in case this was some kind of bug. So I tried to get Diamond City Security involved by walking near them and they wouldn't attack back. So I tried to lure the Triggerman so while shooting me he would also hit the security guard, but all the guard would say is "I don't see anything."

Comical. Kinda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzIx8EcasaQ

HD up!

I had sent her to Abernathy and saw her shooting up! So she must like jet or crack or something... also doesn't she like bad stuff? stealing and whatnot? I haven't used her much.

Cait's an "I got mine" kind of person. She likes it when you take the selfish option in dialogue trees (ex. "give me more caps"). She's also quite fond of lockpicking.

Thanks guys. I know what should I do now.

Just one more thing. Is there any other missable bubblehead rather than the one in Asylum?

Lucreto

I have 11 perks to claim and I am hesitant to spend them in case I needed them later.

Anyone have any recommendations?

I have already invested one or two levels in lock picking, hacking and gun and Armour mods. Others in more ammo in chests and scavenger perk.

I suppose I should invest in the 10% resistance perk and the non automatic and pistol damage perks

I have 11 perks to claim and I am hesitant to spend them in case I needed them later.

Anyone have any recommendations?

I have already invested one or two levels in lock picking, hacking and gun and Armour mods. Others in more ammo in chests and scavenger perk.

I suppose I should invest in the 10% resistance perk and the non automatic and pistol damage perks

Go for the weapon damage boosts for whichever class you use mainly. If you wear power armor or use energy weapons boost up Science. Also if you use Power Armor get your INT to 9 and get the Nuclear Physicist perk and get your Armorer perk up too.

Its hard to recommend specific perks without knowing how you play.

Rflagg

What???
There was a reward???

In the case to the right of the room if I am remembering correctly, but in one them for sure is the spoiler reward also some miscellaneous junk all around. I knew the reward would suck, but was hoping for a
bobble-head

Edit: to be clear you don't get a traditional reward for a quest npc or anything.

what does Nick Valentine like? I would really like to do his quest. Also, he saw me kill a certain person and the prompt said that "Nick hated that." is that something I can overcome?

Rflagg

I am on the
last voyage of the USS Constitution and can't decide between the robots and the scavengers. I would have picked robots for sure, but damn piper had to plant the they do this do feed their families seed

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Is there a known issue with the main menu that makes it so your mouse and keyboard do nothing? I can't select anything or move my mouse

nvm figured it out, it was my controller that was plugged in

psylah

I am on the
last voyage of the USS Constitution and can't decide between the robots and the scavengers. I would have picked robots for sure, but damn piper had to plant the they do this do feed their families seed

Side with the humans, like that noble looking human in your avatar.

Kssio_Aug

Just finished the story! Just to be sure I'm not missing anything, there's no end credits, right?

I finished with 38 hours (and played 10 on PC before start playing it on XB1).
Joined the Brotherhood of Steel and
destroyed the Institue

I really liked it and its among the best games of this generation until now, imho. However, the side-quests can turn out really repetitive... I was focusing on doing them without rushing the story mode and got quite tired of it, so I decided today to rush the story missions till the end. I think I'm done until they unlock mods for consoles since I don't feel right now there's enough content to keep me interested anymore.

I've played the XB1 version and, except for one or two times in the whole game, I have not encountered those freezing issues Digital Foundry shown in their analysis. I'm using a standard XB1 with 500gb HD, and played the game using the internal hard drive. Also, except for the very end of the game, I've not encountered other sections with what I'd consider a trully bad frame-rate. It was quite stable for the most part actually. I'd say it was running much better than I expected from a Bethesda game.

In terms of performance what bothered me the most was undoublty the loading times. At the start I wasn't bothering too much with it, but 20 hours in I was getting sick of facing 20~60 seconds loading screens all the damn time. Still, it has not affected the general experience to me, wich was really great! =)

Devil

Has anyone else had issues with the Silver Shroud sidequest? The guy on the radio just doesn't tell me what the next objective is supposed to be after the first one. No matter where I'm at in Goodneighbour, I've been listening to too many boring minutes of the Silver Shroud radio play without anything happening to get the quest going on.

I used a wiki to see where the next target is supposed to be and it actually worked. Though he still doesn't give me the next target over the radio. Fucking bugs.

Replicant

Have we confirmed that the 1.02 patch fixed the infinite building / materials duping glitches?

I need to know this. I stopped and deleted the patch before it could fully downloading. I didn't want to be deprived of my precious adhesive.

Has anyone else had issues with the Silver Shroud sidequest? The guy on the radio just doesn't tell me what the next objective is supposed to be after the first one. No matter where I'm at in Goodneighbour, I've been listening to too many boring minutes of the Silver Shroud radio play without anything happening to get the quest going on.

I used a wiki to see where the next target is supposed to be and it actually worked. Though he still doesn't give me the next target over the radio. Fucking bugs.

You need to leave the Silver Shroud card and without it, sometimes it won't work. Also, for the last mission you need to travel back to Goodneighbor

Devil

You need to leave the Silver Shroud card and without it, sometimes it won't work. Also, for the last mission you need to travel back to Goodneighbor

I have always left the card and have travelled back and forth to GN several times. As I said, the next objective didn't even popup on the screen or in the quests section of the Pipboy, but when I killed a target and put the Silver Shroud card there, the missing objective suddenly popped up as successfully finished (with a check mark next to it), even though it never was there before.

I'll try to keep following the quest via a wiki tomorrow... But I'm just angry when faced with such bugs.

My fallout game in steam says [BETA] and I wanted to turn that off but the BETA tab is gone from the games properties... How do I know I have the latest patch?

Think I'm already done with this game after a few hours of gameplay for a few reasons:

a) no guns at all. I'm in lexington to continue the story and i constantly get killed. I only have a pistol and that stupid one shot laser gun or whatever.

b) like I mention above, constantly getting killed.

Glad I only paid 40 bucks for it as I had xbox rewards credits added to my account a few months back.

I am on the

don't listen to her!
& just drop her off somewhere for a bit - helping the robots results in maybe the best mission ending in the whole game :) ...

Disxo

In the case to the right of the room if I am remembering correctly, but in one them for sure is the spoiler reward also some miscellaneous junk all around. I knew the reward would suck, but was hoping for a
bobble-head

Edit: to be clear you don't get a traditional reward for a quest npc or anything.
Thanks...thats weird I always check every corner.

Does anyone else constantly jam the Q key (or L1/LB on consoles) to "check" for enemies with V.A.T.S.?

Sometimes it feels like cheating, but man it's a tough habit to break.

Does anyone else constantly jam the Q key (or L1/LB on consoles) to "check" for enemies with V.A.T.S.? Sometimes it feels like cheating, but it's a tough habit to break, I tell ya!

ready to throw my xbox one controller at my TV every time I play this game now. Barely scratched the surface of this game and I hate it already. don't like games that I repeatedly get killed and can't continue the story.

psylah

Does anyone else constantly jam the Q key (or L1/LB on consoles) to "check" for enemies with V.A.T.S.?

Sometimes it feels like cheating, but man it's a tough habit to break.

Well the radar doesn't work like it did in Fallout 3, where if there was an enemy in range they were a red dot on your radar whether they are alerted or not.

It sucks. I've shot innocent folks a few times thinking they were raiders.

I am on the

She's not wrong.

SHE'S TOTALLY WRONG.

Well the radar doesn't work like it did in Fallout 3, where if there was an enemy in range they were a red dot on your radar whether they are alerted or not.

It sucks. I've shot innocent folks a few times thinking they were raiders.

I actually kind of like it, not only because it encourages me to walk up to people without attacking them first (you know, like a normal person) but also because it lends a certain tension to stealth encounters. Did you really knock everyone out or is there still one bastard with your head in the crosshairs?

It's just too bad that 99% of the time, the people you see in the distance really are enemies and you were better off shooting them. The two or three times they turned out to be friendly were pretty neat.

ramyeon

Thinking of focusing mainly on Perception, Agility and Luck for my first build. Is it going to be best to throw as much as possible into these three stats at the start or should I try to put some into the other stats as well?

Tigress

Has anyone else experienced this? I was sneaking around with Valentine as my follower and I saw some raiders up ahead. I decided to get the jump on them so of course they start searching for me and one finds me before I see him (They moved and it was foggy so I lost track). I'm trying to find them and all the sudden I hear one apologize to Nick saying if he knew it was him he would have not shot at him. Nick says it is ok and asks how he is doing and then they are peaceful with me. I was even able to go up to one and try to talk to him (He wouldn't talk back but he didn't attack me either). And they weren't named characters, just random raiders (I guess the game gives a chance that a raider recognizes Nick or something?).

I'm pretty impressed with the small touches Bethesda puts in like that. I know it's gotten weaker in some ways as an RPG but Bethesda does seem to have improved in other ways (like more NPCs interacting with your followers and they seem to have more character, not just some person hanging behind me saying one of five canned responses. I mean sure the writing still isn't great but that still is a big improvement over 3).

psylah

I actually kind of like it, not only because it encourages me to walk up to people without attacking them first (you know, like a normal person) but also because it lends a certain tension to stealth encounters. Did you really knock everyone out or is there still one bastard with your head in the crosshairs?

It's just too bad that 99% of the time, the people you see in the distance really are enemies and you were better off shooting them. The two or three times they turned out to be friendly were pretty neat.

Nah if I think there is anyone left in the area I just shoot randomly into the air to alert them, so they show up on my radar for me to find and kill them.

Tigress

I didn't like it at first cause I hated how easy it was for an NPC to sneak up on me (and also not knowing if they were friendly). Well until I realized that if you watch the brackets around your sneak status they would give away if something was around to detect you (they stay far away from the word when you are the most stealthy. And if no one is there to watch you they just stay that way.. they start moving when some one is there cause you will vary in how hard you are to detect at any given moment).

So now I love it cause it gives me just enough hint to not feel like I have to constantly move around 360 everywhere I walk (and I don't fast travel so that would get really tedious) but makes it more challenging cause I have to find the watcher myself. And as you said, it makes it so you have to try to decide if they are friendly or not (For example the raiders in my above story I decided were raiders because they were wearing typical raider armor... I was still relieved to see I hadn't guessed wrong when the game labelled it for me when I managed a hit).

So I unplugged the Xbox one for an hour then tried to load the game again.... No dice. Finally, after about the 10th save file I found one that worked. Back in it. Only lost about 2 hours of game play.

rjinaz

I've been playing along time but I kind of want to restart now that I am more familiar with the game. Currently at about level 50. The problem is, I don't think I could go back to not having a jetpack, it is that convenient for me. Really wish they would have snuck a jetpack in the game somewhere that was not
end game
or require over level 40.

I've got like, 3 minutemen settlement quests in my questlog that are bugged and can't be completed. Clear a location, talk to Preston, and something else. It's really bugging the hell out of me that I can't clear these off my screen :mad:

Started a new playthrough of this badass guy named after my last name, Lor, who is super nice but will murder anybody that gets in his way. If they aren't friendlies, they're dead lol. Being frozen for so long, having to witness his wifes death, and his son's kidnapping he won't take anymore bullshit and will do anything to not allow good people to die.

I have him maining automatic weapons and plasma weapons. As soon as he gets his power armor, it's going to be game over for these fools!

I skipped talking to Preston entirely. Did not go inside Concord at all so far lol. As soon as I started I ran straight towards Diamond City, Good Neighbor, and Bunker Hill :D

For those questioning Idiot Savant like I did on my first playthrough, grab it as soon as possible. It's entirely worth it.

Edit: for those wondering, the dogmeat duping still works. I don't know if anybody has been paying attention but dogmeat can dupe stacks.

- Have him dupe your stack of whatever you want. Stacks can glitch out i.e., not have full stacks or seperated stacks. Experiment when the stacks break off. More often than not, I noticed that items don't fully stack if you are using this glitch. I've duped a stack of 4k ammo. Total is now 8k right? Tried to drop the 8k stack and it seperates the stacks. I don't think we can ever dupe our dupes fully without having seperated stacks of any items.
- Drop your stack of items that you wanted to dupe
- Quicksave from the settings menu and quit the game from the settings menu
- Continue from that quicksave and lo and behold you will notice you have two, three, or however many you duped stacks of items

Rocketz

I started the game up today and the patch corrupted my save file. I almost had a freak out moment but was able to load up a quick save from exactly where I was.

Trogdor1123

How do you get more people to your settlements? I don't know how to trade, get people to do things, or to run shops or tend to food production.

Beefy

The mod for the X-01 helmet that makes every living thing show up red is useless. You can't tell who is a enemy or not. Also talking some one as red lines move down them gets boring after a while.

Top Bottom