• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

TyrantII

Seriously, this "Benevolent Leader" trophy is driving me crazy, been going at it for short bursts over several days.

I'm attempting it at Sanctuary Hills, and I have the following stats:

People: 18
Food: 18
Water: 62
Power: 73
Defense: 207
Beds: 19
Happiness: 90 (stuck here, no green arrow now)
Size: Almost full (~90% of the bar)

I have just a couple of people assigned to food, the rest to level 3 Medic stations. I have also created tons of decorations (e.g. paintings, fountains, statues), but the happiness is barely increasing. :( What's the actual trick here?

EDIT: Can also add that I've scrapped all TVs I could find, and
checked if there are any infiltrating synths, which I don't believe.
Can the happiness keep increasing even if I don't have the green arrow?

All you need is 3 people, 2 on level 3 clinics and 1 on food. 6 food, 6 water, 4 beds under a roof, and about 20 def (just use turrets)

All you need is 3 people, 2 on level 3 clinics and 1 on food. 6 food, 6 water, 4 beds under a roof, and about 20 def (just use turrets)

Is the trophy/achievement bugged? cuz the description says Large Settlement, three people isn't Large. Or does large mean Large Build Area? or Near fullness on the Settlement Size meter?

Is it worth getting the perks that rank up your armour and weapons, it should I use my perks elsewhere?

If you don't want to take the time to inspect every weapon and armor piece you come across in the game. You can detach and reattach mods freely without putting any points into the perks, but if you don't want to rely on luck and just want to build your own mods then you'll need the perks.

Rainy

Banned
Bleh, ending spoilers,
I did the railroad ending and while I was okay with blowing the institute up, the ending just felt unsatisfying overall. Oh well time to move on to other games. There was definitely a lot I didn't do but I'm done with it for now. Kinda burnt out on fallout.

TyrantII

Is the trophy/achievement bugged? cuz the description says Large Settlement, three people isn't Large. Or does large mean Large Build Area? or Near fullness on the Settlement Size meter?

At which settlement?

Any side settlement will do, but its easier to manage and keep track of workers in smaller one. It's not bugged, just tied to the number of settlers somehow, and the more settlers the harder it is to get happiness up.

Yo, WHAT? BETHESDA HAS THIS SHIT IN THEIR OFFICE.

https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/675419599840657408

But why? Codsworth is shit compared to Curie <3

You don't, but its the quickest, easiest, guaranteed way if you want the trophy quickly. There are other methods, but they get harder the more settlers you have to manage.
Good. I don't want to waste two perks just to get those. But still I don't know if I even want to bother with this achievement. Maybe I'll wait until my second playthrough or the GoTY Edition

Preston gave me one of those radiant quest for Sanctuary Hills while we were in the fucking Sanctuary Hills....WTF!!! What the fuck are you good for, Preston, if you can't take care of it even when you are right there? I really hope Bethesda fixes this constant shoving of annoying radiant quests unless player asks for it.

On Demand

Banned
Preston gave me one of those radiant quest for Sanctuary Hills while we were in the fucking Sanctuary Hills....WTF!!! What the fuck are you good for, Preston, if you can't take care of it even when you are right there? I really hope Bethesda fixes this constant shoving of annoying radiant quests unless player asks for it.

I finished a quest but I didn't go speak to him because I know he's going to give me another. It's so annoying having it automatically do that. When I see him walking towards me i run away.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Is there some way to indicate in a settlement that a certain structure is my damn house and everyone else should stay the hell out? It's only an aesthetic thing to me, but for my character's sake I like to consider my pre-war house as MY house, and stupid Preston has decided he wants to sleep in my bed.

v0mitg0d

just bought this game and i have a quick question that has probably been discussed many times but i don't want to read 90 pages: am i doing something wrong with all the shit i am picking up? and when you get back to a settlement, are you supposed to dump all the junk on one of the workbenches? can you use stuff that is on the gun bench when working on the furniture bench? i haven't really bothered much with either because the whole thing has been a total chore. this game really could use some infinite carry cheat codes. the actual game has been pretty fun, but this inventory bullshit has really soured the experience so far.

These guides will help, especially the Workshop Guide:

Workshop Guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEYty7x6BME&index=2&list=PLUeP4wqAXXLAPtA87Yx1JEi9Mn7H57Rnd

Understanding Supply Lines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nmuIS6wnFo&index=9&list=PLUeP4wqAXXLAPtA87Yx1JEi9Mn7H57Rnd

Power Armor Guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czky-2GNGnc&index=6&list=PLUeP4wqAXXLAPtA87Yx1JEi9Mn7H57Rnd

Adhesive Guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzINvusZEQM&index=4&list=PLUeP4wqAXXLAPtA87Yx1JEi9Mn7H57Rnd

Alpende

But why? Codsworth is shit compared to Curie <3

Good. I don't want to waste two perks just to get those. But still I don't know if I even want to bother with this achievement. Maybe I'll wait until my second playthrough or the GoTY Edition

You can also create a save before doing the trophy, pick the perks, get the trophy and reload the save. I did that because I sunk in quite a few caps building 5 tier 3 clinics.

Is there some way to indicate in a settlement that a certain structure is my damn house and everyone else should stay the hell out? It's only an aesthetic thing to me, but for my character's sake I like to consider my pre-war house as MY house, and stupid Preston has decided he wants to sleep in my bed.

Nope but you can do something to make it seem like it's your house. Usually I put a shelf full of comics in the house so I know that it's my house. Other times, a special container, and then I usually put a rug in front or inside the house to differentiate it from other houses in my settlements.

I believe comic stands, bobblehead stands, and special containers work. I've been in my settlements for days and they don't ever sleep in my bed. The only ones who have slept near me or in my bed are my romantic partners.

I finished a quest but I didn't go speak to him because I know he's going to give me another. It's so annoying having it automatically do that. When I see him walking towards me i run away.

Usually I am avoiding him but I am trying to get his perk.

On that note, I did the castle quest for Preston and also one after that (Old Guns) and he is still not giving me perk. During one conversation, I had option for romance but I wasn't interested so selected one of other options. I thought by end of his quests, he would give me perk. But it didn't happen.

Do you have to romance companion to get perk?

Can I complete the game with a high strength, high endurance melee build? First play through and I don't want to set myself up for failure.

Is stealth/sniper way more effective?

Replicant

Can I complete the game with a high strength, high endurance melee build? First play through and I don't want to set myself up for failure.

Not in my experience. Enemies come after your ass after you snipe them maybe once or twice. Sniping would work from time to time but there will be time when you need high strength and endurance, especially with enemies that go after you.

*cackling like a madman* That Preston is more useless than I thought. Him combined with Marcy Long make me seriously entertaining the idea of moving my companions to another place that's less.....Minutemen-infested.

johnsmith

remember me

You can complete the game with any build you want. It's not a hard game, even on very hard. Survival is the only difficulty that's challenging, and even then only in the beginning.

Faenix1

Not in my experience. Enemies come after your ass after you snipe them maybe once or twice. Sniping would work from time to time but there will be time when you need high strength and endurance, especially with enemies that go after you.

Then you pull out a shotgun and aim for the face.

(Or if it's a big thing, like a Mirelurk Queen, you replace Shotgun for Fatman - I can kill em that way fairly easily without anything in Explosives)

Replicant

Phew, that was tense. I didn't expected to get attacked right away (SPOILER for "The Devil's Due" / Museum of Witchcraft):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW2iiKQdi9E&list=PLzzZJsRYlIJZbjXSVusDW1PJv-EnPIsAE&index=5

Then you pull out a shotgun and aim for the face.

(Or if it's a big thing, like a Mirelurk Queen, you replace Shotgun for Fatman - I can kill em that way fairly easily without anything in Explosives)

Of course. But shotgun is slow to reload (even after the ultimate upgrade) and usually only has 2 shots per round. Without the extra strength, big monster like Deathclaw can really fuck you up quickly (2 swipes in the case of Savage Deathclaw seen above). That's why as of late I'm not too fond of shotguns to dispose big guys, even though mine has about 109+ damage points per shot. Guns with quick reload, good bullet sprays, and many VATS points like a rifle would have done the job a lot faster and quicker.

dankir

Just beat it following the Brotherhood quest line. .. 7/10 for me. I played for about 85 hours and thats it foe a while I will come back to get the other institute and railroad achievements eventually. I'm at 850/1000 now.

The next game really needs to work on the loading. I'm really tired of loading to leave a building and then to fast travel. Why cant it just be one smooth transistion. I swear out of my 85 hours at least a few of them must have been just staring at the loading screen.

Hoping the DlC will be as good as operation anchorage or mothers hip zeta. Come to think of it I never completed the Pitt DLC in Fallout3 let's go back and see how well it aged on the 360.

johnsmith

remember me
Of course. But shotgun is slow to reload (even after the ultimate upgrade) and usually only has 2 shots per round. Without the extra strength, big monster like Deathclaw can really fuck you up quickly (2 swipes in the case of Savage Deathclaw seen above). That's why as of late I'm not too fond of shotguns to dispose big guys, even though mine has about 109+ damage points per shot. Guns with quick reload, good bullet sprays, and many VATS points like a rifle would have done the job a lot faster and quicker.

The combat shotgun has like 32 rounds fully upgraded. Nobody uses the double barrel shotgun after the very early game unless you find a legendary one with infinite ammo capacity.

Replicant

The combat shotgun has like 32 rounds fully upgraded. Nobody uses the double barrel shotgun after the very early game unless you find a legendary one with infinite ammo capacity.

I wasn't talking about double barrel. I was talking about the number of hits you get in VATS with most shotgun (without upgrading your VATS hits). And besides, if you do plan on using shotgun outside VATS, you better beef up your strength, accuracy and agility especially when fighting giant fast creatures.

I don't like the Shotguns in this game. And it's a pitty that there are only 2 in the game.
I was playing Fallout 3 mostly with the shotgun. In Fallout 4 they're not really that good.

A friend of mine is doing that and I watched him a little. Looks like it's definitely doable. And it looks like fun too. I might try it with my second character. Focus on Melee, Strength and Luck. No intelligence and get the Idiot Savant perk as soon as possible. Maybe also focus on explosives and big guns. So actually the opposite of my character right now

N° 2048

I wasn't talking about double barrel. I was talking about the number of hits you get in VATS with most shotgun (without upgrading your VATS hits). And besides, if you do plan on using shotgun outside VATS, you better beef up your strength, accuracy and agility especially when fighting giant fast creatures.

I'm using a combat shotty with low STR and AGI just fine.

ADS takes care of anything outside V.A.T.S.

I wish I took a video of me clearing out like 15 ghouls with my shotty no problem.

Replicant

I'm using a combat shotty with low STR and AGI just fine.

ADS takes care of anything outside V.A.T.S.

I wish I took a video of me clearing out like 15 ghouls with my shotty no problem.

Isn't that overkill? A slightly upgraded Laser Pistol or even 10mm will do just fine to kill ghouls. You just shot their legs and they fall over. If they are not dead yet, they usually pose no threat until you can clean them up after shooting the others' legs.

I think I know which area that too. Manor Croupe or something like that.

Don't know if this this is old but I've found a little exploit yesterday. It allows you to maximize your companions affinity towards you in a very short time. Unfortunately, there's a catch. It only works with companions who are supportive of stealing. I managed to trigger Cait's main quest in about 5-10 minutes by doing this method.

Make sure your companion is with you and near enough to witness the theft.

The way it works:
  1. Go to any NPC and successfully steal one item. One item is enough. You'll see why.
    => Wait for the "Companion liked that." indication to appear.
  2. Make a save. Preferably a quicksave since it makes the whole process faster.
  3. Reload the save you just made and steal again. It can be the same NPC.
    => Wait for the "Companion liked that." indication to appear again.
  4. Go back to step 2. and repeat as often as you like.

Now usually, stealing a second time in the same area / session wouldn't trigger an affinity increase. But the game's saving mechanics make it possible to let the game think it's a new session. I think that's the way it works.

I've made a short video on this showing how it works.

I wonder if this exploit can be utilized for other characters who don't support stealing as well. Any ideas?

N° 2048

Isn't that overkill? A slightly upgraded Laser Pistol or even 10mm will do just fine to kill ghouls. You just shot their legs and they fall over. If they are not dead yet, they usually pose no threat until you can clean them up after shooting the others' legs.

I think I know which area that too. Manor Croupe or something like that.

Overkill? I love it. Role Playing a rifle/shotty toting female who mods armor/weapons and has high CHR and INT. So I am only using the Rifleman perk for guns.

When I feel like having fun I use my .50 rifle to snap their legs like ya said :D

Garuda1One

wait im confused about the quest path

if i choose a faction to help me construct the teleporter, does that means im stuck with them till the end ?

Zack..... I'm sorry to say this but many people (I don't know about GAF) have known about doing that almost since the game released. Many companions that like you doing stuff that are easily abuseable can be exploited.

Taking chems or alcohol, getting into pa, healing dogmeat, lockpicking, hacking, stealing, etc. are abuseable to max your affinity with some of the companions.

Some of the things in Fallout 4 are easily abuseable via qsing for example legendary farming.

So completed it ...
Completed the game with the institute ending yesterday, taking out the railroad was hard and clearly not right. I don't really like the Institute what they say and what they do seem totally unrelated.

Taking out the brotherhood was insane so many troops to get through Just have taken out over 100. Not sure I did it right.

The ending is pants where's the old talk through each settlement and faction to tell you how things turn out.

I've got the saves so should be easy enough to go back.

TyrantII

wait im confused about the quest path

if i choose a faction to help me construct the teleporter, does that means im stuck with them till the end ?

No. There's a BOS (stops railroad progression) and then a Institute (pisses of BOS) quest that are points of no return. They will also say so. Hard Save before them.

Institute is Mass Fusion, and the brotherhood is the mission after Blind Betrayal.

Don't know if this this is old but I've found a little exploit yesterday. It allows you to maximize your companions affinity towards you in a very short time. Unfortunately, there's a catch. It only works with companions who are supportive of stealing. I managed to trigger Cait's main quest in about 5-10 minutes by doing this method.

Make sure your companion is with you and near enough to witness the theft.

The way it works:
  1. Go to any NPC and successfully steal one item. One item is enough. You'll see why.
    => Wait for the "Companion liked that." indication to appear.
  2. Make a save. Preferably a quicksave since it makes the whole process faster.
  3. Reload the save you just made and steal again. It can be the same NPC.
    => Wait for the "Companion liked that." indication to appear again.
  4. Go back to step 2. and repeat as often as you like.

Now usually, stealing a second time in the same area / session wouldn't trigger an affinity increase. But the game's saving mechanics make it possible to let the game think it's a new session. I think that's the way it works.

I've made a short video on this showing how it works.

I wonder if this exploit can be utilized for other characters who don't support stealing as well. Any ideas?

Yep it works for all characters for exa. you can keep reattaching (you don't even have to build it if you already have it) gun mod, save, reload when Codsworth is around.

Top Bottom