• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

is there a list somewhere of faction quests? everytime i do one i'm hoping i'm not pissing off another. anyone know how to trigger companion quests? i can't seem to get danse to trigger his.

The game will outright tell you via a prompt when a quest will turn certain factions hostile, so no worry there. In regards to companions, not all of them have quests. As far as I know only Curie, Valentine, Cait and MacCready have quests. Danse is a special case since his quest is directly tied to a late game Brotherhood quest called
Blind Betrayal
You don't get this quest directly from Danse and you can't max affinity, or get his perk until it is completed.

Help gaf I've been trying to get into this game over the last 3 days got up to around level 9 and I honestly am so bored I feel like just deleting it. It's all so confusing not to mention it feels a technical mess. I've just rescued Nick Valentine and I appreciate I've only just scratched the surface, is there certain things I should be doing to level up?

Also fuck the house building stuff, like I said I really want to like the game it's just not grabbing me, not to mention I have blood borne and witcher 3 sat there untouched.

For the record Its my first fallout game

Jezbollah

Help gaf I've been trying to get into this game over the last 3 days got up to around level 9 and I honestly am so bored I feel like just deleting it. It's all so confusing not to mention it feels a technical mess. I've just rescued Nick Valentine and I appreciate I've only just scratched the surface, is there certain things I should be doing to level up?

Also fuck the house building stuff, like I said I really want to like the game it's just not grabbing me, not to mention I have blood borne and witcher 3 sat there untouched.

Explore. Talk to everyone. Do side quests.

Replicant

Turn on the Diamond City Radio while you bop around the wastelands in your power armor. It's strangely feels liberating especially when songs like "Crawl Out Through The Fallout" or "The Wanderer" playing.

Also, don't know about you but I like this game a lot more in 3rd person view. I never like playing as myself. So controlling a character that I created and watching him forming relationship with the in-game character feels like watching a TV series.

Get the over-the-top perks as well like "Bloody Mess" and some of the gun perks. It'll make the game more fun and less of a chore.

GavinUK86

The game will outright tell you via a prompt when a quest will turn certain factions hostile, so no worry there. In regards to companions, not all of them have quests. As far as I know only Curie, Valentine, Cait and MacCready have quests. Danse is a special case since his quest is directly tied to a late game Brotherhood quest called
Blind Betrayal
You don't get this quest directly from Danse and you can't max affinity, or get his perk until it is completed.

Ohhh, thanks! I get it now.

Blind Betrayal

Question regarding Danse (spoilers oviously)
Does he automatically die when you side with the railroad? When I did this Danse was suddenly gone after I blow up the Prydwen. He was at the Red Rocket Station like all my companions at taht time. Is this a bug or does he really die?

Garuda1One

anyone ? im confused

story spoiler warning

im trying to get all 4 endings here, i hard saved at
mass fuison
and already did minuteman and railroad ending before. so i load my game at that point to try finishing with other faction..
but first, let me get this straight...

if i didnt
build that teleporter thing with BOS (did it with railroad), and didnt gave the holotape to BOS (gave it to railroad)..

even though i finished
mass fusion by alerting the BOS

i still cannot continue BOS story ? as in getting BOS ending..

so i have to load my game all the way back to
institutionized
?

God Damn..

anyone ? im confused

No I don't think so. You should be able to obtain the holotape even if you gave it to somene. I gave mine to Sturges (Minutemen) afterwards. There is a dialogue option and he says something like "ok here you can have it I don't need it anymore". But somehow you don't get it lol. But you can pick pocket it from him (he doesn't even seem to care). You can bring the Holotape then to the BOS and continue there. It worked for me that way for me. So try to pick pocket or talk to the person you gave it to at the railroad. What is also funny is that noone at the railroad asked me to give him the holotape.

And I didn't even know there was a Minutemen ending? I was already wondering why they had no influence at the ending at all. I played through the Institue, BOS and Railroad ending but at no point it was able to continue with the Minutemen.
Also there are no Trophies/Achievements for a Minutemen ending, I got Platinum without them.

Those whole ending thing is kind of confusing I must say

Question regarding Danse (spoilers oviously)
Does he automatically die when you side with the railroad? When I did this Danse was suddenly gone after I blow up the Prydwen. He was at the Red Rocket Station like all my companions at taht time. Is this a bug or does he really die?

If you did not complete
Blind Betrayal
, he
dies with the rest of the Brotherhood during the assault.

If you did complete the aforementioned quest, he will
just ignore you after you blow up the Prydwen
but not be hostile. Either way,
you permanently lose him

Replicant

Also there are no Trophies/Achievements for a Minutemen ending, I got Platinum without them.

I believe "The Nuclear Option" trophy is applicable to all factions including The Minutemen because there is actually The Minutemen's version of "The Nuclear Option".

You can save
Danse and the Brotherhood and the Railroad
using the Minutemen's ending.

Garuda1One

No I don't think so. You should be able to obtain the holotape even if you gave it to somene. I gave mine to Sturges (Minutemen) afterwards. There is a dialogue option and he says something like "ok here you can have it I don't need it anymore". But somehow you don't get it lol. But you can pick pocket it from him (he doesn't even seem to care). You can bring the Holotape then to the BOS and continue there. It worked for me that way for me. So try to pick pocket or talk to the person you gave it to at the railroad. What is also funny is that noone at the railroad asked me to give him the holotape.

And I didn't even know there was a Minutemen ending? I was already wondering why they had no influence at the ending at all. I played through the Institue, BOS and Railroad ending but at no point it was able to continue with the Minutemen.

Those whole ending thing is kind of confusing I must say

but theres no "
outside the wire
" quest for BOS that told me to give the holotape to BOS, i just happen to read a guide and told me to give the holotape to them, and i think i missed one of the quest where
we must find the BOS scientiest inside the institue because i pissed them off already post mass fussion..

this is really confusing...

and for minuteman
i think its because the fact that we have to do the Banished From Institute quest which is where we betray the institute by killing one of their scientist then running away and the quest will only shows up in you quest tracker the moment you shot one of their scientist or even father, then the next minuteman quest will show up which is Form Ranks, from there you will continue with minuteman for the ending.

If you do Banished from the institute when doing Underground Undercover from Railroad, you cannot finish and continue the Railroad mission

but theres no "
outside the wire
" quest for BOS that told me to give the holotape to BOS, i just happen to read a guide and told me to give the holotape to them, and i think i missed one of the quest where
we must find the BOS scientiest inside the institue because i pissed them off already post mass fussion..

this is really confusing...

and for minuteman
i think its because the fact that we have to do the Banished From Institute quest which is where we betray the institute by killing one of their scientist then running away and the quest will only shows up in you quest tracker the moment you shot one of their scientist or even father, then the next minuteman quest will show up which is Form Ranks, from there you will continue with minuteman for the ending.

If you do Banished from the institute when doing Underground Undercover from Railroad, you cannot finish and continue the Railroad mission

Oh you don't even have the "
outside the wire
" quest. That's shitty then. Man this whole thing is so complex. I think they should have made it a little bit simpler.

I believe "The Nuclear Option" trophy is applicable to all factions including The Minutemen because there is actually The Minutemen's version of "The Nuclear Option".

You can save
Danse and the Brotherhood and the Railroad
using the Minutemen's ending.

Yo, lol, you quoted the wrong person. I'm not even attempting to Plat Fallout 4.

Kenai

Been trying to play this more and outside of the kind of annoying faction vs faction stuff I am trying to wade through and my mixed opinions on the more fleshed out canon character backstory (not necessarily bad but kinda a weird fit for a game like this, especially coming off 3 and NV) I am having a lot of fun with this title.

Just completed Danse's final quest
Blind Betrayal
and
good lord at the Paladin Danse eye candy. Games shouldn't make me pause like that. I need armor option mods yesterday! Makes me sad Piper doesn't have a story like that too, it was well written (and rewarding) Almost makes up for me not being able to pick both Lady Killer and Confirmed Bachelor..almost

I am probably going to look into the Minutemen stuff to see if I can get a happier ending overall. I don't want
The Brotherhood of Steel killing the Railroad
so that's out.

Doc_Drop

So should I not do
Old Guns before doing some Railroad missions? Because that YouTube video keep saying not to start any of Railroad quests until I finished some
Minutemen and Main Story mission. They said that only make sure that I don't start doing Form Ranks and Defend the Castle before finishing the main story.

I think I'm just going to postpone building more crazy settlements until after some experimentation with the plot. I'm at a point now where I have great bulidings and collection of power suit so I can just dive into the plot. There's nothing worse than building awesome stuff and then having to erase them due to plot shenanigans.
Basically so after
reunions
and
dangerous minds
, you'll get
tradecraft from railroad
and
shadow of steel from brotherhood
. Do not advance these and focus on
minutemen through the main quest
, get
access to institute
, get
banned immediately either
by
telling father to fuck off
or
killing someone
but do not
give holotape to sturges
. You'll get
form ranks
which shouldn't be advanced until you do
brotherhood quests up to show no mercy
, don't even start
show no mercy
, you are then free to
form ranks
and
defend the castle
. That's when you need to avoid starting
the nuclear option
until you've
quested more with the railroad
. This is where I messed up and was unable to fully get it right but still managed to keep everyone happy.

Reading that though, shit is convoluted as hell. I assume you've done the first bit already and hopefully you haven't locked yourself out from some of the choices

Replicant

Basically so after
reunions
and
dangerous minds
, you'll get
tradecraft from railroad
and
shadow of steel from brotherhood
. Do not advance these and focus on
minutemen through the main quest
, get
access to institute
, get
banned immediately either
by
telling father to fuck off
or
killing someone
but do not
give holotape to sturges
. You'll get
form ranks
which shouldn't be advanced until you do
brotherhood quests up to show no mercy
, don't even start
show no mercy
, you are then free to
form ranks
and
defend the castle
. That's when you need to avoid starting
the nuclear option
until you've
quested more with the railroad
. This is where I messed up and was unable to fully get it right but still managed to keep everyone happy.

Reading that though, shit is convoluted as hell. I assume you've done the first bit already and hopefully you haven't locked yourself out from some of the choices

Thank you!

Yeah, sounds like I'm safe so far.
complete all of BoS recon team mission including Lost Patrol (which you can't complete of you go through this method unless you do it BEFORE Reunions. Then I did road to Freedom but run away and not talking to Deacon yet (aka haven't started Tradecraft). I just finished old Guns, which temporarily ended the Minutemen quest until I finish some main quest

Made a diagram of the plot points here (SPOILER ALERT!!!):

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=191378060

Great, my character's eyes are bugged and she now looks like she is high all the time. lol

3dkQUZG.jpg

Ok I got a question and it might sound extremely stupid. Maybe I just missed huge parts of the game but I don't think so.

What does the Insititute even do/want? Why are thay making Synths? Why are they sending them up and replace people with their Synth counterpart? What's their long term goal? They always talk about them being the future of mankind, but how? I did not understand what they are trying to do at all.
That's why I didn't want to side with them. I could not determine if they were good or bad. I played their ending though but that didn't give out more information as well.

N° 2048

Yep so many questions, no damn answers. The game story falls apart at the end. I can't tell if I am done the main story or not.

Garuda1One

Oh you don't even have the "
outside the wire
" quest. That's shitty then. Man this whole thing is so complex. I think they should have made it a little bit simpler.

yeah, im going to load my game back to when im building that
teleporter
, gonna choose BOS from that point on. It is sucks, really hope they made it a bit simpler..

Doc_Drop

Ok I got a question and it might sound extremely stupid. Maybe I just missed huge parts of the game but I don't think so.

What does the Insititute even do/want? Why are thay making Synths? Why are they sending them up and replace people with their Synth counterpart? What's their long term goal? They always talk about them being the future of mankind, but how? I did not understand what they are trying to do at all.
That's why I didn't want to side with them. I could not determine if they were good or bad. I played their ending though but that didn't give out more information as well.

My interpretation would be that:
They decided that humanity itself was destined to fail or become extinct due to radiation and mutation. Their plan was to create an entirely new species based on what they interpreted was the most 'perfect' evolutionary model (hubris at work there) in humans. They would probably look to continue to stay underground and ignore the outside world save for scavenging and experimentation until the felt they arrived at a new species (although that seems odd as they say themselves that they view synths as a machine and not a life form). I assume they thought humans would die out and that they only ever had to intervene when a particular group threatened or undermined them. The other factions are certainly easier to interpret and less open to interpretation in my opinion. But I would say they were probably correct ultimately but acted incorrectly to get to that end.

squadr0n

Could someone please help me with finding GENE, the guy who is selling junkyard dogs. I tried the console command to send him to me but he wont even talk to me. Is there a way to move to his location? His ID is 00194334.

Why the fuck vendor dialogs can't be skipped? I assigned Vault-Tec guy to trading emporium. Every time I have to go through long dialogs before any transaction. Same with other traders everywhere. Is there any way to avoid it?

Alpende

GAF, who do I work with?
Minutemen, Railroad, Insittute or Brotherhood of Steel
?

Pick the one you think is right.

Why the fuck vendor dialogs can't be skipped? I assigned Vault-Tec guy to trading emporium. Every time I have to go through long dialogs before any transaction. Same with other traders everywhere. Is there any way to avoid it?

Annoyed the shit out of me. I just assigned him to working the crops.

Faenix1

Dang you can end the game with people more or less happy with eachother?

Bah I'm probably too late to try that plus I do want the platinum. (Got all the factions, minus Institute, done as many main quests as possible before Molecular Level)

Could someone please help me with finding GENE, the guy who is selling junkyard dogs. I tried the console command to send him to me but he wont even talk to me. Is there a way to move to his location? His ID is 00194334.

Unfortunately, the game is still filled with bugs and you came across one of them :(

Have you looked at reddit?

Replicant

But you can? Just keep pressing X (on PS4) and the dialogue is shortened and you get to "barter" part.

How did you do that? I have a hard save before starting Mass Fusion that I'm using to do all the Faction endings and then reload for pre-pissing people off to prepare for the DLC playthroughs.

A bit too late. Your first save should be before "Reunions" since that's when all hell breaks lose then you do a few more saves for separate factions ending then one point where you pacify most of them.

Filben

I bought Fallout 4 at release and played a couple of hours but haven't got much time since then. But I'm planing to return to the wastelands in semester break.

I just wanted to point out, in case no one did that already, that I totally fallen in love with the dialog system. Before you rant on me, I'm not talking about the four choices, not even the writing quality. I won't judge that right now.

It's more how freaking dynamic and natural the system is. Conversations start even before I push anything-- from any direction, no matter if I'm sitting, standing still or just passing by. The dialog camera can be bypassed on the fly if I choose to turn away or permanently in the options. People start talking to me and I can respond without having a mechanical dialog-scene where I'm stuck till the game chooses to end it (and when skipping my character respons with a "eh-hm"; cool!). It feels so smooth and natural like it should be in every game. The less mechanics-like the better.

illusionary

It's more how freaking dynamic and natural the system is. Conversations start even before I push anything-- from any direction, no matter if I'm sitting, standing still or just passing by. The dialog camera can be bypassed on the fly if I choose to turn away or permanently in the options. People start talking to me and I can respond without having a mechanical dialog-scene where I'm stuck till the game chooses to end it (and when skipping my character respons with a "eh-hm"; cool!). It feels so smooth and natural like it should be in every game. The less mechanics-like the better.

The only problem that I have with this is that I find it far too easy accidentally to skip companion dialogue sequences, which often come up when I'm in the middle of doing something,

But you can? Just keep pressing X (on PS4) and the dialogue is shortened and you get to "barter" part.

I keep pressing X but honestly it seems it is not making any difference. He still goes through couple of dialogs. What I don't understand why the hell someone at Bethesda think this is needed. Why can't they have player go to trading menu immediately? May be some background data is loading but as you say, if you can really skip, it seems background loading is not the reason for it.

Fuck that Minutemen radio. Now without even approaching Preston, you get radiant requests immediately the minute you get into the Castle. I want to build stuff there but I don't want to get 3 extra missions that I have to do. FML

Hahaha...I've been through that. That's why I sent that asshole to Hangman's Alley alone. I am never ever going there until Bethesda fixes it.

Doc_Drop

Fuck that Minutemen radio. Now without even approaching Preston, you get radiant requests immediately the minute you get into the Castle. I want to build stuff there but I don't want to get 3 extra missions that I have to do. FML

You can turn off the tower by removing it's power source and you won't get anymore quests. It was a godsend

Fuck, my game won't start now. I get to the save loading screen and I get a ctd. Uninstalled all the mods and verified the install on Steam but to no avail. So I deleted the install and downloading again. I'm going to be pissed if I lose everything.

How big are your save files up to? Mine is currently sitting at 16MB each and seem to be going up quickly.

Faenix1

For some reason I never assumed save file was the cause of long loads. I just assumed it was the area I was fast traveling too.

Bah.

Went back to Listening Post Bravo to pick up someone after a certain quest but now he won't engage with me at all, even though I choose the right dialog to keep him on. I should still have him even after destroying his former faction. Is this a glitch?

TyrantII

I had radio broadcast turned off and I was still getting quests.

Don't remove the power source, just hit the switch to the speakers on the side.

Preston also give you the same quests when you get close. You need to turn in a finished one and run away the second he starts with "Hey, I got..".

I've banished him to a lone outpost at the end of the map until I feel like doing his crap.

Having fun with my playthrough and am at a level and kitted out where I will start save scumming to move through the faction quests and endgame in one go, so I wanted to clean up the non-quest related trophies and fuck man... that Benevolent Leader trophy was such a pain in the ass.

Getting that Happiness up to 100 seems like alchemy and however the game calculates it seems completely counter-intuitive to how the game presents the settlement building to you. Finally got it last night by following a dumb "build x muttfruits, x Surgery Centers, x Defense; send 6 settlers and rest for 24 hours after Happiness goes up a little -> rinse, repeat." Saw that it was creeping up crazy slow so just left my guy in the settlement, left the game running and went to bed around 11:30PM while I had 87 Happiness. Had 100 this morning and saw the trophy popped at 4:03AM. Such a broken aspect of the game.

Having said that, I'm really looking forward to how the mod community will flesh out settlement building options (i.e. models), and which ones Bethesda will greenlight to allow access to console users.

Question:

Reading the latest Kotaku aricle on the 5 stages of video game disappointment, I realized that I haven't heard ANYTHING from ANYONE about the lack of mod support for Fallout 4 that was "promised" to xbox one (and maybe PS4) owners.

Wasn't that announced during the E3 reveal? Didn't it come from Todd Howard himself?

Does anybody have any info in this?

Top Bottom