• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

valkyre

It has changed. It's much better (especially early Corvega mission) and the draw distance is fixed. Also the graphics actually got better. Check the analysis from DF.

What about the stutters though? Especially indoors i remember hearing lots of stutters and framedrops. Still true?

It has changed. It's much better (especially early Corvega mission) and the draw distance is fixed. Also the graphics actually got better. Check the analysis from DF.

Oh, ok. Well I never realized that the framerate was bad so now wonder that I didn't feel it getting better.
But the draw distance got sooo much better, it's incredible.

EDIT: Just found out that Robots can be used like settlers, very cool. Think I'll use some of them for supply lines

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So overall how would you rate Fallout 4's first DLC as opposed to Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 3's?

Would you say its worth buying currently if your interested in the gameplay? or would it be better to wait for a sale?

It's decent. Its pretty much equivalent to Operation Anchorage. Although IMO, slightly below since OA at least gave you a kickass armor set at the end. I don't feel that Automatron gives you any truly dominating loot.

BUT, making robot mods is a ton of fun.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My biggest criticism of the DLC (and really Fallout 4 in general) is that they made the game almost exclusively focused on combat. The final battle was actually pretty frustrating as it would have been an excellent opportunity to utilize your speech skills.

In New Vegas so many fights could be talked out of.

It's decent. Its pretty much equivalent to Operation Anchorage. Although IMO, slightly below since OA at least gave you a kickass armor set at the end. I don't feel that Automatron gives you any truly dominating loot.

As far as I see the Robot Armor is extremely good. It ways a lot though. But spontaneously I would say it's the best armor set in the game right?
Looks cool too

Its so damn ugly though.

Hm well yes it might not be quite pretty.

I thought I was going to get a little saturated by the game. Questing wasn't that fun recently. I'm playing that game now since launch and haven't really been playing anything else.

But I just wandered around a little and I realized that this game is soooo good just wandering around. Not making quests, just going around and explore everything.
Just been to the Boston Mayoral Shelter. This place is so amazing and a perfect example what makes this game so great. It's not the quests and big storys, it's the little storys in the game, the wandering and the combat.

Venture

Is Bethesda serious with this mole rat disease from Vault 81? Wow. They don't even give you heads up or anything.
I actually liked that part.
I wish it had been a bigger handicap though. It was a really easy choice to make as it stands. 10 points off your health is negligible. 10% would've made me really think about it.

Is Bethesda serious with this mole rat disease from Vault 81? Wow. They don't even give you heads up or anything.

I wish it had been a bigger handicap though. It was a really easy choice to make as it stands. 10 points off your health is negligible. 10% would've made me really think about it.
Does wearing power armor prevent you from contracting it? I don't remember ever getting it.

On Demand

Banned

Yeah it's really not that big of a deal. But they could of made it more clear that
by giving the cure away you wouldn't be able to cure yourself permanently. I didn't even know i had the disease in the first place. I hate knowing i have -10 health and can't do anything about it.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Do automatrons count as settlers? Would be fun to start replacing my human guards with assaultrons sporting dual gatling laser arms.

Venture

Do automatrons count as settlers? Would be fun to start replacing my human guards with assaultrons sporting dual gatling laser arms.
I did a quick experiment of making a robot and sending it to a settlement and it appeared to work as a settler. I read somewhere that they can be assigned to all jobs except for shopkeeper.

piggychan

How's the game's performance on Xbox as of late? Did they improve the framerate at all? Does installing it on an external hard drive still help with those mini-freezes when switching weapons?

I'm a bit late into the fallout 4 party but so far I'm just about played about 3 days worth and just did the hunter/hunted achievement. I haven't noticed much freezing during weapons swap but I do noticed the drops running through dense foggy forests and in small rooms which annoys me somewhat. My biggest complaint is the fast traveling and the loading seems to feel like it takes well over a minute to load. I currently run mine through external HDD but I am thinking of getting a cheap 250 gig SSD just for Bethesda games.

I'm enchanted and disenchanted with this game mainly because of those bethesda glitches.

When that epic battle music starts the heart beats a lil' faster!

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Digichan2006/video/15989254

Quite epic mini boss VS boss battle on the xbox
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Tannr97/video/15786554

Well, made my character for Survival, might as well do a rehearsal run before it comes out for real and try out Automatron.

78EE764EA0EB9926F5EE26420AE8FEB17A13CCE9

Now, I give you all a guess to figure out who this is and thus, which faction I'm going with.

Nyari

Neo Member
I'm a bit late into the fallout 4 party but so far I'm just about played about 3 days worth and just did the hunter/hunted achievement. I haven't noticed much freezing during weapons swap but I do noticed the drops running through dense foggy forests and in small rooms which annoys me somewhat. My biggest complaint is the fast traveling and the loading seems to feel like it takes well over a minute to load. I currently run mine through external HDD but I am thinking of getting a cheap 250 gig SSD just for Bethesda games.

256 gig is the minimum requirement for an external HD for the X1... i learned that the hard way...

That being said, once i got my 500gig SSD i saw some nice improvements in the loading speed. Definitely worth it

Laekon

Is the settlement system linked to the main story at all or is it just a side game? Trying to figure out if it is worth putting time into it.

Is the settlement system linked to the main story at all or is it just a side game? Trying to figure out if it is worth putting time into it.

Not linked to the main story at all, It's only there for your personal enjoyment.

The main advantage to having a large amount of settlements is that the signal flare becomes more reliable, and you'll have a squad of Minutemen at your location anywhere on the map. It becomes very helpful during the more tense firefights.

DarthWoo

Apart from whatever quests require you to do stuff, like the initial stuff in Sanctuary Hills and occasionally having to build just one or two things for a faction somewhere, there's almost no story involvement. It is a fun distraction though, as all the mega-settlement builders out there can attest.

Unrelated, but had a funny bug occur. Not sure if it was Automatron-related, but went to a settlement that was under attack by Mechanist robots (seems that for the moment, they're the antagonists in every settlement attack) and the hostile Mr. Gutsy that always respawns just west of Finch Farm had joined in, but somehow glitched underground. I had armed Finch Farm's settlers with 5 gauss rifles, several miniguns, and other heavy weaponry, in addition to the multitude of turrets. It was amusing watching the massive amount of fire being poured into the ground ineffectually. I'm not sure if the Mr. Gutsy was doing it, or if friendly fire can do it, but either way, the entire farm's supply of crops got completely shredded in the process.

Laekon

The main advantage to having a large amount of settlements is that the signal flare becomes more reliable, and you'll have a squad of Minutemen at your location anywhere on the map. It becomes very helpful during the more tense firefights.

Do the settlements need to be successful or just exist to get these squads? I've really only made improvements to a few of them and the Castle while the rest only have 2 to 3 people. There are also a few places, like Jamaica Plain, that I've cleared but don't think have any people in them.

Moofers

I found a complete set of X1 power armor in the Rust Devil area. I only had the X1 helmet before that and I'm level 65. I was pretty happy about it.

I'm enjoying the Assaultron DLC. Taking it slow and not fast traveling, nice robot companion. Was also entertained by the
"Worst. Robot. Ever."
(or something to that effect). Have gotten a little challenge out of it, hard difficulty I think around 70. Nothing that stopped me more than once except for one surprise moment where I needed to beat feet for space or be insta-killed.

DLC also earns bonus points for the new holotape videogame you get
Robotron variant ftw
. Will probably finish tonight then build stuff for fun...oh yeah, nice new weapons and armor to be found as well.

piggychan

256 gig is the minimum requirement for an external HD for the X1... i learned that the hard way...

That being said, once i got my 500gig SSD i saw some nice improvements in the loading speed. Definitely worth it

mmmm thanks for the heads up

new patch out

Sayers

Do the old companions have new dialogue for this DLC? I generally prefer to stick with Piper at all times but if she has no unique dialogue I will just take the robot.

Do the settlements need to be successful or just exist to get these squads? I've really only made improvements to a few of them and the Castle while the rest only have 2 to 3 people. There are also a few places, like Jamaica Plain, that I've cleared but don't think have any people in them.

The settlements just needs to exist, though I'm not sure if it works with empty settlements. The flares don't use up your actual settlers either, so you don't need to worry about the patrols dying and leaving you with a diminished population.

I found a complete set of X1 power armor in the Rust Devil area. I only had the X1 helmet before that and I'm level 65. I was pretty happy about it.

I'm level 51 and I already got 1 1/2 complete X1 power sets before I found the one in that area. Was still nice to find a complete one too.

DarthWoo

I like the heads you can put on your automatrons.

Just threw that one together to see the options, you can make far more bizarre looking things, like giving that same robot a Mr. Handy thruster instead of the Sentry legs. In case it's not obvious, it is sporting dual Fat Man launchers on its shoulders in addition to its explosive minigun arms.

Ketch

thinking about picking this up on sale on steam... not sure if I should though, heard it was fairly disappointing entry in the franchise. Have they released high res texture pack or anything like that already? I completely checked out of the news when this came out.

thinking about picking this up on sale on steam... not sure if I should though, heard it was fairly disappointing entry in the franchise. Have they released high res texture pack or anything like that already? I completely checked out of the news when this came out.
If you are expecting anything like New Vegas or even a competent RPG you'll be disappointed. It has even less story choices than Mass Effect 3.

Dead Man

It's pretty amazing at everything it tried to do except telling a story. Shithouse at that. And most of what it was trying to do different to its predecessors is not what I was hoping for or wishing for. But for the most part (writing aside) I think they probably did really well at the things they were trying to do. Put it this way. I think it's probably the weakest of the whole series, with so many major structural and functional design issues I've lost track, but I've already sunk 100's of hours in, and expect many more once the rest of the DLC and GECK are released.

So where in the game can I get plastic surgery? It must be in the game right, I thought I saw it on a loading screen mentioned. Haven't found anything tho. Would like to do it because I don't really like the look of my char anymore.

It's pretty amazing at everything it tried to do except telling a story. Shithouse at that. And most of what it was trying to do different to its predecessors is not what I was hoping for or wishing for. But for the most part (writing aside) I think they probably did really well at the things they were trying to do. Put it this way. I think it's probably the weakest of the whole series, with so many major structural and functional design issues I've lost track, but I've already sunk 100's of hours in, and expect many more once the rest of the DLC and GECK are released.
Yeah, I just like to pretend it doesn't carry the name Fallout. It is still really fun.

So where in the game can I get plastic surgery? It must be in the game right, I thought I saw it on a loading screen mentioned. Haven't found anything tho. Would like to do it because I don't really like the look of my char anymore.
It is somewhere in Diamond City I believe.

Diamond City, next to the doctor's shop, it's just a door, can't remember if it's marked

Story is shit, but I think everything else is great. It's the most fun I've had with combat in the series, which is good since that's what the game mostly is. It's no New Vegas but way better than 3. Not sure how I'd rank it compared to the first two.

Tigress

Yeah, I just like to pretend it doesn't carry the name Fallout. It is still really fun.

Yeah. I like the game better than fallout 3 but it is the fallout with the least fallout soul of the main games. Also, it's weak in even stuff I think Bethesda did good with 3. Like the vaults have lost why they were so fun. No unraveling a creepy story as you delve deeper into the vault. I've found a few dungeons that are still good that way, the hallucinegenic building is a taste of when they do a fallout "dungeon" well. Also the state capital building was fun though the story ends up not having much of a point. When I say story I mean the notes you find that tell a story of the past and unravels more as you find more notes.

So yeah, as a game it's great. As a Fallout, it kinda falls short :(. And I say it falls between borderlands 2 and fallout 3 in how much an rpg it is. It's still more of one than borderlands 2 but it is less rpg like than even 3.

Top Bottom