• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

So where in the game can I get plastic surgery? It must be in the game right, I thought I saw it on a loading screen mentioned. Haven't found anything tho. Would like to do it because I don't really like the look of my char anymore.

Diamond City, next to the doctor's shop, it's just a door, can't remember if it's marked

Yeah the town has two doctors, one selling shit on the street and the other hanging around in a cellar next to him (should say doctor whatever on the door and during the open times the door wouldn't be marked red).

Btw. it's not just for reshaping your character, you can roleplay by adding more scars and dirt on your characters as well as get some (face) tattoos (though most are pretty shit imo) if you found the magazines.

I'm pretty sure you also get more customization options than at the start of the game, at least all those different facepaint things I didn't remember at all. You can look like Furiosa!

Yeah the town has two doctors, one selling shit on the street and the other hanging around in a cellar next to him (should say doctor whatever on the door and during the open times the door wouldn't be marked red).

Btw. it's not just for reshaping your character, you can roleplay by adding more scars and dirt on your characters as well as get some (face) tattoos (though most are pretty shit imo) if you found the magazines.

I'm pretty sure you also get more customization options than at the start of the game, at least all those different facepaint things I didn't remember at all. You can look like Furiosa!

Ah ok cool. But I hope
it's not that doctor that dies in that one detective quest

And yes you can get more tattoos through magazines you find.

Yeah. I like the game better than fallout 3 but it is the fallout with the least fallout soul of the main games. Also, it's weak in even stuff I think Bethesda did good with 3. Like the vaults have lost why they were so fun. No unraveling a creepy story as you delve deeper into the vault. I've found a few dungeons that are still good that way, the hallucinegenic building is a taste of when they do a fallout "dungeon" well. Also the state capital building was fun though the story ends up not having much of a point. When I say story I mean the notes you find that tell a story of the past and unravels more as you find more notes.

So yeah, as a game it's great. As a Fallout, it kinda falls short :(. And I say it falls between borderlands 2 and fallout 3 in how much an rpg it is. It's still more of one than borderlands 2 but it is less rpg like than even 3.

Bad RPG, bad story, but still far better than Far Cry because you can choose how your character looks like, mod weapons, build little villages, have a huge open world, huge modding capabilities on PC and turn the minutemen into a powerful force if you want. I wish I could actually roleplay Ciri who found herself in the Fallout universe with my Ciri lookalike character, but the 'WHERE IS MY SON?' story really stops me from doing that, so I can only have her look like Ciri, rather than actually be Ciri. I hope the next Elder Scrolls isn't like Fallout 4 though.

BizzyBum

Just finished Automatron. I thought it was pretty good for a $10 DLC. We all know this and Wasteland Workshop are just appetizers for Far Harbor which is the major DLC in May.

In regards to Automatron -
Using serial killers' brains as test subjects for robot integration, what could possibly go wrong? Bethesda always has the knack to take something seemingly mundane and uninteresting at the start and warp it to some twisted, dark shit by the end in Fallout. Their writing may not be the greatest but their atmosphere and environmental story telling is definitely top notch and it shows again in this DLC with the Mechanist's lair.

Mistel

Banned
In regards to Automatron -
Using serial killers' brains as test subjects for robot integration, what could possibly go wrong? Bethesda always has the knack to take something seemingly mundane and uninteresting at the start and warp it to some twisted, dark shit by the end in Fallout. Their writing may not be the greatest but their atmosphere and environmental story telling is definitely top notch and it shows again in this DLC with the Mechanist's lair.
That's been a thing since Fallout it's nothing new.

Tigress

Bad RPG, bad story, but still far better than Far Cry because you can choose how your character looks like, mod weapons, build little villages, have a huge open world, huge modding capabilities on PC and turn the minutemen into a powerful force if you want. I wish I could actually roleplay Ciri who found herself in the Fallout universe with my Ciri lookalike character, but the 'WHERE IS MY SON?' story really stops me from doing that, so I can only have her look like Ciri, rather than actually be Ciri. I hope the next Elder Scrolls isn't like Fallout 4 though.

Well, you can always do that with New Vegas. Honestly, New Vegas is the most open about letting you create your own story of any of the Fallouts. And the story is good too (certainly better than the ones Bethesda has done). There's a reason New Vegas is my favorite Fallout ;). I think more RPGs should make the story be about the world and let your character react however you decide to the world the character is in. Rather than write the story for your character (if you think about it, New Vegas seems pretty unique in that. Even the original Fallouts gave your character a background you had to work with).

I will say at least Bethesda is trying even if they don't do it near as well. This time around they let you join any major faction, even the villain one and they tried not to have any faction be truly good/truly evil (I just hear they did it not so well. I have only gotten through half hte game maybe?). And the survival mode sounds like it might be really awesome. I think they really flubbed dialogue though (and I think it does have a lot to do with voiced characters and not wanting to pay for more dialogue options cause having to pay for more voiced stuff. Sure they gave your character a ton of lines, but then they had the other characters respond the same no matter what your character said meaning less lines having to be paid for each option you chose). I disagree with people that they didn't learn anything from New Vegas or try to take into account things people liked. I just think they didn't do it as well and as some one who loves RPG and dialogue is a very important part of it the dialogue tree being so bad really takes a lot away from it as an RPG.

Actually, I think my two major gripes with the game is the dialogue trees that really don't let you roleplay who you want (You're still stuck playing their character with slight variations) and the fact that they seem to forget what they did well with Fallout 3 (The whole dungeon crawling and finding neat little notes that told dark stories about a group. And having to unravel the story as you go deeper in the dungeon. Too few dungeons in 4 seem to do that and the vaults are all a disappointment in that way).

I just wish Obsidian gets to do another one. They seem to take everything that was good that Bethesda did and improve on the stuff Bethesda was weak on. A Fallout by them based on 4 would be amazing. If they get rid of voice acting for your character *grumble*.

Well, you can always do that with New Vegas. Honestly, New Vegas is the most open about letting you create your own story of any of the Fallouts. And the story is good too (certainly better than the ones Bethesda has done). There's a reason New Vegas is my favorite Fallout ;). I think more RPGs should make the story be about the world and let your character react however you decide to the world the character is in. Rather than write the story for your character (if you think about it, New Vegas seems pretty unique in that. Even the original Fallouts gave your character a background you had to work with).

I will say at least Bethesda is trying even if they don't do it near as well. This time around they let you join any major faction, even the villain one and they tried not to have any faction be truly good/truly evil (I just hear they did it not so well. I have only gotten through half hte game maybe?). And the survival mode sounds like it might be really awesome. I think they really flubbed dialogue though (and I think it does have a lot to do with voiced characters and not wanting to pay for more dialogue options cause having to pay for more voiced stuff. Sure they gave your character a ton of lines, but then they had the other characters respond the same no matter what your character said meaning less lines having to be paid for each option you chose). I disagree with people that they didn't learn anything from New Vegas or try to take into account things people liked. I just think they didn't do it as well and as some one who loves RPG and dialogue is a very important part of it the dialogue tree being so bad really takes a lot away from it as an RPG.

Actually, I think my two major gripes with the game is the dialogue trees that really don't let you roleplay who you want (You're still stuck playing their character with slight variations) and the fact that they seem to forget what they did well with Fallout 3 (The whole dungeon crawling and finding neat little notes that told dark stories about a group. And having to unravel the story as you go deeper in the dungeon. Too few dungeons in 4 seem to do that and the vaults are all a disappointment in that way).

I just wish Obsidian gets to do another one. They seem to take everything that was good that Bethesda did and improve on the stuff Bethesda was weak on. A Fallout by them based on 4 would be amazing. If they get rid of voice acting for your character *grumble*.

The New Vegas character creator is beyond awful though :/

N° 2048

Thinking of picking this up on Wednesday, any tips for a first time Fallout player?

Please for the love of God go in blind.

Fallout is that world that you just learn by jumping into. Do not spoil anything, I am so damn jealous of you.

You're in for a damn nice treat.

Volimar

I FOUND A GAME BREAKING BUG RELATED TO AUTOMATRON!!!

If you alter Codsworth's head, he can't wear the bowler hat anymore! DLC RUINED!!!

She might have some lines in the usual Talk section but afaik there is no perk.

I wish they would have put her or somebody else in as a new "real" companion. I hope we'll get some new companions in the following DLCs.

Even though I really love going as lone wanderer right now. The bonuses are just so good. And I really need that extra carry ability. I'm using tons of different weapons and the robot armor set is so damn heavy.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The thing that New Vegas does best is cater to different playstyles. I have repeatedly griped about how most speech checks amount to little more than extra caps and/or XP. In New Vegas you can heavily invest in speech and it will often change the outcome of certain battles. You could more or less make your entire character revolve around it.

The final battle of the Automatron DLC is a perfect example. If that battle were done by the New Vegas team you could likely have skipped the entire battle with a (very difficult) speech check, while for Bethesda it changed little to nothing.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Once MODs make their way to the X1 and PS4 I plan to use mods that do the following:

Allow ballistic weave to be added to any article of clothing.
Allow for additional mods slots to be added to armor. Dammit, I want deep pocketed and Lead Lined.
Create legendary weapons and be allowed to scrap them, where you can save legendary benefits to craft to an armor/weapon of your choice.

Others that I would like, but not screaming for:
1. Be able to change my companions hair (Curie's hair, ugh!)
2. Invisible armor.

Of course I will get the PC version eventually....

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
The thing that New Vegas does best is cater to different playstyles. I have repeatedly griped about how most speech checks amount to little more than extra caps and/or XP. In New Vegas you can heavily invest in speech and it will often change the outcome of certain battles. You could more or less make your entire character revolve around it.

The final battle of the Automatron DLC is a perfect example. If that battle were done by the New Vegas team you could likely have skipped the entire battle with a (very difficult) speech check, while for Bethesda it changed little to nothing.

While it doesn't involve a speech check, you apparently CAN (according to guides, I didn't do it myself) avoid the entire final battle.
You need to have collected all the staff holotapes, then gone back to the beginning and hacked a master level terminal, whereupon you can get into the Mechanist's locked room.

JoeNut

Damn the new dlc is hard as hell, sneaking doesn't seem to work against the robots so I'm just getting rushed by them all the time. My explosive shotgun is the only way to get through it

Once MODs make their way to the X1 and PS4 I plan to use mods that do the following:

Allow ballistic weave to be added to any article of clothing.
Allow for additional mods slots to be added to armor. Dammit, I want deep pocketed and Lead Lined.
Create legendary weapons and be allowed to scrap them, where you can save legendary benefits to craft to an armor/weapon of your choice.

Others that I would like, but not screaming for:
1. Be able to change my companions hair (Curie's hair, ugh!)
2. Invisible armor.

Of course I will get the PC version eventually....
The worst.

Laekon

Played this a lot this weekend and think they did a really good job with the city. After joining and getting an armor suit from the Brotherhood, all I see is them getting shot down all over the map. No matter where I go they seem to be flying around getting blown out of the sky by 3 or 4 raiders. Think I should join the raiders instead.

N° 2048

I'm actually finding the DLC too easy. I can pretty much kill everything so far in max 6 shots.

So from Hard to Very Hard it is.

Honestly since I hit level 70 I pretty much run through anything :/

Hmm, bets on Survival releasing tomorrow? The depot for its beta was last touched Friday - Obviously not released since noone would be on call over Easter to respond to any bug reports of the beta - And Tuesday is generally the time Bethesda rolls out updates.

That and it'll have been exactly one week since they announced its beta release on Twitter.

Replicant

I'm actually finding the DLC too easy. I can pretty much kill everything so far in max 6 shots.

So from Hard to Very Hard it is.

Honestly since I hit level 70 I pretty much run through anything :/

I think it's quite fair. I mean I'm at level 93 so I one-shot everything using Gauss Rifle.

But I'd imagine that the DLC would be rather tough if you're at level 15, which is the starting level allowed for this DLC. Also, if you're not careful, the explosion from damaged robots can still kill you regardless of levels.

Volimar

If you're thinking of an all robot settlement, may I suggest (minor side mission spoilers)
Covenant? You can't use or scrap the beds there anyway and there isn't a whole lot of space. Plus it'd be kind of ironic given the townsfolk's mission.

Tigress

Hmm, bets on Survival releasing tomorrow? The depot for its beta was last touched Friday - Obviously not released since noone would be on call over Easter to respond to any bug reports of the beta - And Tuesday is generally the time Bethesda rolls out updates.

That and it'll have been exactly one week since they announced its beta release on Twitter.

I think they said the beta was going to be released next week (last I heard). But they said could be a month before they release it for everyone (because apparently they haven't fully decided on the featuers and they are using the beta for people's feedback on what works and what does not).

Replicant

If you're thinking of an all robot settlement, may I suggest (minor side mission spoilers)
Covenant? You can't use or scrap the beds there anyway and there isn't a whole lot of space. Plus it'd be kind of ironic given the townsfolk's mission.

Still kinda
morbid. All of those dead bodies..... >_>

I FOUND A GAME BREAKING BUG RELATED TO AUTOMATRON!!!

If you alter Codsworth's head, he can't wear the bowler hat anymore! DLC RUINED!!!

I actually did find a game breaking bug in the DLC. During the last part of the last mission of the DLC
Restoring Order
, I somehow got into a loop where after defeating all the enemies,
the Mechanist never initiated dialogue with me or came out of the sealed room
, and I was trapped in that room. Spent 30 minutes thinking there was a button or something I needed to push, then I watched a walk through and realized something didn't trigger properly for me and I was trapped.
I think this occurred because when I entered the room, I used VATS and targeted the spotlights and blew them up, then ran around the space collecting junk - causing me to miss the opening dialogue.
I was able to reload to a save immediately prior to going through the final door, and complete the mission. Playing on XB1.

Other then that, I really enjoyed the DLC. I like the addition of robot companions and more robotic enemies. I wouldn't mind a few more robot focused side quests.

Tigress

BTW, according to reddit if you have the PC Fallout 4 (on steam I guess) the beta for survival mode is out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/4cfjcl/survival_update_is_out/

They made it way more hardcore than New Vegas's (stimpacks have weight for example, even Obsidian wasn't that cruel ;) ). I think the thing I dislike most is that stuff doesn't repopulate as quick (combine that with you'll have less carry weight means building settlements is going to be a lot more annoying especially as you can't carry much and stuff nearby won't repopulate junk as quick).

Overall it sounds good but I'm not sure I can cut it (I'm certainly going to try though. I think carry weight though might get to be a bit much to worry about as already with trying to gather junk for my settlement I'm finding it a lot. And I like weight mechanics!!!!). I do like that instead of your followers dieing they just leave you if you don't heal them (that was the one thing I disliked about hardcore mode in New Vegas. The AI of followers is too stupid to make it fun to have to worry about them surviving. It got to be a chore and even though I would have loved to travel around with Rex I only used him for his quest cause he was particularly weak and I'd like to choose followers cause my character likes them/gets along and well I always liked the idea of exploring with a dog).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I think it's quite fair. I mean I'm at level 93 so I one-shot everything using Gauss Rifle.

But I'd imagine that the DLC would be rather tough if you're at level 15, which is the starting level allowed for this DLC. Also, if you're not careful, the explosion from damaged robots can still kill you regardless of levels.

Yeah, that can be very frustrating at times.

So what's the deal with Lorenzo's Artifact Gun? It seems like it does magnitudes more damage than the stats say.

Also, since the last patch I've been noticing Brotherhood vertibirds flying around again (and attacking me) even though I destroyed the Prydwen.

I enjoyed the "alternate ending" of the DLC. I really appreciated that path.

Venture

Won't those... Uh, things, respawn in their original location?

I'm asking for a friend, obviously.

EDIT: Damn it, first post of a new page.
They don't disappear, but they seem to stay where you put them. I dumped them all in a hole just outside town and they've never moved.

I actually did find a game breaking bug in the DLC. During the last part of the last mission of the DLC
Restoring Order
, I somehow got into a loop where after defeating all the enemies,
the Mechanist never initiated dialogue with me or came out of the sealed room
, and I was trapped in that room. Spent 30 minutes thinking there was a button or something I needed to push, then I watched a walk through and realized something didn't trigger properly for me and I was trapped.
I think this occurred because when I entered the room, I used VATS and targeted the spotlights and blew them up, then ran around the space collecting junk - causing me to miss the opening dialogue.
I was able to reload to a save immediately prior to going through the final door, and complete the mission. Playing on XB1.

Other then that, I really enjoyed the DLC. I like the addition of robot companions and more robotic enemies. I wouldn't mind a few more robot focused side quests.

I had the game crash on me and I reloaded and this happened. I think it's because I shot the robots out of their transporting arms rather than waited for them to drop.

Tried again and died so gave up!
DLC has been underwhelming. Expected more.

Going to wait and focus on bloodbourne until the may dlc arrives.

Holy shit, I just changed Curie's look. She was a
synth
and now she's back in her old form...
I used the robot workbench on her and it switched her back to this. Can't reverse her now it seems...

edit: ok i reloaded an old save and now she got...both forms... What the hell...
CevBWFmWwAAuLeZ.jpg:large

Volimar

Holy shit, I just changed Curie's look. She was a
synth
and now she's back in her old form...
I used the robot workbench on her and it switched her back to this. Can't reverse her now it seems...

edit: ok i reloaded an old save and now she got...both forms... What the hell...

Good Lord!

Top Bottom