• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

So Survival Mode is like it was leaked. Nice.
I'll definitely try it but I don't think I will make it that long. No fast travel just sounds too hardcore. ALso I think my character is not good enough to survive that long

EDIT: You should be able to switch difficulties after chosing Survival right?
So play Survival, switch to hard, fast travel, switch to Survival again should do it right?

StereoVsn

So Survival Mode is like it was leaked. Nice.
I'll definitely try it but I don't think I will make it that long. No fast travel just sounds too hardcore. ALso I think my character is not good enough to survive that long

EDIT: You should be able to switch difficulties after chosing Survival right?
So play Survival, switch to hard, fast travel, switch to Survival again should do it right?

Nope. Once you switch to Survival I believe thats that. It's kind of buggy too. Especially disease, hunger, thirst hits way too often. I think got bugged and char is constantly hungry/thirsty despite drinking/eating, not sure what's going on.

Also, actual beds are fairly rare so you keep going tired all the time. The save function in Bethesda game being tied to beds is also a bit off. I dunno, I feel whole bunch of tweaking must be done and because console mode is disabled any bugged quest will kill your save (happened to me when I finally got to Preston Garvey and he wound up falling through the floor.

I think I will let this be for now and play on modded Very Hard instead. Ideas in Survival mode are good but need a lot of tweaking and there is no way I am going to live without console/mods (mods are disabled on survival alongside console) with the very limited save system.

Volimar

Are there survival mode options? Can I toggle on certain things like ammo weight, etc.? If not, I hope a modder out there makes a mod for it.

Ok so some questions for people who already tried survival mode?

Can you switch your current character to survival mode or do you have to start a new char.
If yes can you switch back to any other difficulty?

Man I really wish you could combine Survival features with different difficulties. I'd love to play the game with survival but hard difficutly right now. That would be amazing ;(

StereoVsn

Ok so some questions for people who already tried survival mode?

Can you switch your current character to survival mode or do you have to start a new char.
If yes can you switch back to any other difficulty?

Man I really wish you could combine Survival features with different difficulties. I'd love to play the game with survival but hard difficutly right now. That would be amazing ;(
You can switch to Survival mode. Once you do that save can't be switched back. I do wish parameters were tunable as certain things like disease, hunger and thirst kick off too often.

EDIT: Crisis averted lol

Sounds like I won't be playing Survival then. I'm gonna stick with my char.

Maybe I'll start a new Survival char in 1-2 years again but not now.

Tigress

You can switch to Survival mode. Once you do that save can't be switched back. I do wish parameters were tunable as certain things like disease, hunger and thirst kick off too often.

Which is the opposite I felt of hardcore mode in Vegas. I liked it but it was too lenient on everything but thirst.

Anyways, I think the beta is around so that Bethesda can get input on the balance so you might want to give them feedback on it (I think wh have a forum for the beta testers).

Also, you start developing a habit for learning where to find beds (I always role play having to sleep at night in Bethesda games). Beds at least are findable for sleeping every night. Just gotta know where to look and keep a memory of where beds are that you found. For example raider camps usually have one (my character who started a good guy has gotten a little callous about seeing camps and killi them off for the beds (feeling that they're bad so who cares). She used to not want to kill unless forced.

Does it restrict crafting and settlement building in any way? Because by mid-game you could basically eliminate the threat of lack of sleep, food, and water by having developed settlements all over.

I mean you could just build a small shack with a bed, a few plants, a water pump and a turret or two at fairly equidistant locations on the map.

I was thinking of starting a stealth character in survival, but how useful is stealth actually in this game?

Why would they do that? Maybe it's because of some of their survival-only subsystems that would get lost between switching but why prevent people from switching back at all?
If it's about "cheating" then you can already do that simply by starting survival mode with a maxed out character with tons of food , settlements etc.
Also in vanilla F4 you can switch from the highest difficulty to the lowest for specific parts of the game...

I was thinking of starting a stealth character in survival, but how useful is stealth actually in this game?
IMO it takes a lot of perks before stealth is useful. Maybe if you focus from the start only on the relevant perks but in the early game I was quit frustrated with how I could not sneak up on anyone and that all floors would basically go into alert mode once they somehow hear footsteps from me 4 floors below. Even if you put a lot into stealth perks and armor, you still need more perks to boost the damage from stealth kills etc. Because if you don't do single-shot/hit kills from behind, you alarm everyone anyway. Suppressors are also showing up fairly late into the game.
Much later it will tip to the other extreme in that people forget you are killing all their buddies etc. because they can't see you...

What's sucks also imo is that the stealth perk is coupled with evading traps ability. I really liked watching out for traps and mines, but then again you need to create less noise when sneaking around enemy camps so you take the perk...

Tigress

What's sucks also imo is that the stealth perk is coupled with evading traps ability. I really liked watching out for traps and mines, but then again you need to create less noise when sneaking around enemy camps so you take the perk...

Agreed. I also dislike how I can't skip the perk to make running silent before I can get the perk that distant enemies lose me if I engage stealth. Mainly cause I got the perk to let me run and stealth and I found it made stealth a lot less fun for me (I like having to worry about how fast I'm going as to how well it affects my stealth). For me it ruins the mechanic of stealth to make running not make you noisier. I'd really love to have that last stealth perk though if I can get over the running no longer matters part.

StereoVsn

Does it restrict crafting and settlement building in any way? Because by mid-game you could basically eliminate the threat of lack of sleep, food, and water by having developed settlements all over.

I mean you could just build a small shack with a bed, a few plants, a water pump and a turret or two at fairly equidistant locations on the map.

I think Bethesda also replaced some beds with bedrolls in Survival and those don't get you full rest. Disease kicks off way too often as Rad-X/Med-X/Radaway/etc lower your immunity. Plus there are bugs with hunger system.

A lot of times it won't register your food/drink properly so my char is chugging Purified water and yet is still thirsty or eating some grilled molerat but hunger is still there.

Stealth is OP in Survival just like its in other modes. Higher levels of stealth with Ninja and other related perks make you a killing machine (with a silencer, .50 cal or plasma rifle). Mind you that happens around level 25-30.

Agreed. I also dislike how I can't skip the perk to make running silent before I can get the perk that distant enemies lose me if I engage stealth. Mainly cause I got the perk to let me run and stealth and I found it made stealth a lot less fun for me (I like having to worry about how fast I'm going as to how well it affects my stealth). For me it ruins the mechanic of stealth to make running not make you noisier. I'd really love to have that last stealth perk though if I can get over the running no longer matters part.

Yeah that's what I meant with tipping into the other extreme. I just pretend that I still need to crouch&sneak lol
At least that feels right compared to when you don't have any sneaking perks yet.

Morokh

They really need to revise their stance on beds being the only way to save, wayyy to many bugs still in the game to even be considered.
I just lost one hour of playtime to a bugged terminal .....

Other than that it's pretty fun, and some simple things like not seing ennemies on your radar really make a huge difference.

One thing though, they really need to fix their radiant quests, because with the increased respawn times, having settlers kidnapped in empty places is even more common than before ... and it was already VERY common.

I tested my melee character for a bit, and it didn't go well at all ... curious to hear about other people's experience on that front.

Going to keep this short and concise since I'm tired as hell right now before I catch some rest:

A solution to the issues people have been having with the Bed Save system of survival, without compromising the way it was designed - Have Blank Holotapes as a medium-rarity loot item out in the world, akin to the Ink Ribbons of classic Resident Evil. The player can spend a Blank Holotape as if they're writing to a journal out in the wastes, and save out in the wild that way.

It enhances roleplaying, gives the player more opportunities to save without encouraging save-scumming, and doesn't compromise the idea of why they restricted saving to beds in the first place.

Volimar

I have to say I'm really disappointed with (Automatron spoilers)
The Eyebot pod. First, what do you mean I can't build an aeyebot companion? WTF?!?! Then the eyebot pod used to find scavenged materials just makes you go fetch them yourself, and it's never enough materials to justify going to the location. Why can't the eyebot go gather materials itself?

I'm in the minority here but I love all of the crafting and settlement building stuff in this game. I hope we get a lot more options this month in the DLC and I'd love to see more power armor mods.

Still trying to get 100 happiness in Sanctuary but I think I just can't, happiness won't reach past 82...
I saw some message saying that armor/weapon shops don't produce happiness but in the game it shows that they do. Did Bethesda change that or is the game lying to me ? ><

Anyway, I've noticed that robots could be assigned to food. So I'll try making a lot of them so I can put all my settler behind a shop...

Oh and, do I need to wait (real time) for the happiness to go up ? Or can I use a chair or something to pass time ?

(I have 23 people in Sanctuary Hill btw)

Edit: Also I've noticed a bug. Sometimes, all my settlers stop whatever they were doing. All resources are left unaffected and happiness decrease greatly. I have to reassign each one of them.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Still trying to get 100 happiness in Sanctuary but I think I just can't, happiness won't reach past 82...
I saw some message saying that armor/weapon shops don't produce happiness but in the game it shows that they do. Did Bethesda change that or is the game lying to me ? ><

Anyway, I've noticed that robots could be assigned to food. So I'll try making a lot of them so I can put all my settler behind a shop...

Oh and, do I need to wait (real time) for the happiness to go up ? Or can I use a chair or something to pass time ?

(I have 23 people in Sanctuary Hill btw)

Edit: Also I've noticed a bug. Sometimes, all my settlers stop whatever they were doing. All resources are left unaffected and happiness decrease greatly. I have to reassign each one of them.

I've read that robot settlers are actually a drag on happiness, as their own personal happiness that they contribute to the average can never be above 50, so if you're going for a 100 settlement, you don't want any robots in it.

Volimar

I've read that robot settlers are actually a drag on happiness, as their own personal happiness that they contribute to the average can never be above 50, so if you're going for a 100 settlement, you don't want any robots in it.

Wish I had known that before I went on my "A killbot in every settlement" personal mission. I'm almost halfway through. Happiness is overrated anyway.

Morokh

After playing more of the survival update, I think i'd rather have some kind of auto-save akin to Iron-man mode in Xcom rather than the sleep on bed thing they chose to go with.
(Just restrict-it to outside of combat)

Sure, it adds some tension, and that's a very good thing, but it also affects your gameplay in a very negative way, and it also clashes with other mechanics like sleep and thirst that are fine on their own to make them become a complete hassle.

Overall it simply doesn't create challenge in a fun way, it basically just gets in the way of playing the game.
It might look like 'Dark Souls' on paper but F04 definitely isn't as well crafted around the system as any DS game is.

Everything else is overall fine, although in need of some further tweaking.

Thanks for the info. I'll try to reach 100 happiness in another settlement... This one seems just glitched anyway.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well I have encountered a glitch. Preston sent me to recruit the Warrick settlement and the NPC is stuck in the water tank. Can't get him out.

I really wish they'd patch the endless 'help defend X settlement' miscellaneous objectives.

Putting a lot of time into building a settlement, giving settlers good armour and weapons, having a high defence rating for it to be virtually destroyed by a few bum raiders is so frustrating.

Most of the time if I show up at the settlement it's over within seconds by my turrets. Don't show up and the settlement is just destroyed automatically. Fuk that noise.

I really wish they'd patch the endless 'help defend X settlement' miscellaneous objectives.

Putting a lot of time into building a settlement, giving settlers good armour and weapons, having a high defence rating for it to be virtually destroyed by a few bum raiders is so frustrating.

Most of the time if I show up at the settlement it's over within seconds by my turrets. Don't show up and the settlement is just destroyed automatically. Fuk that noise.

It's not automatic. Settlers can succesfully defend themselves. I didn't know until yesterday, when I got the message that 'The Slog succesfully defended itself' without me traveling there to help out.

GhaleonEB

I purchased the edition that came with the season pass, and entered my code for it when the game was released; the code was recognized and accepted. I'm trying to download Automatron, but the PS store is telling me I have to pay for it. Can't seem to find a way to download it from the Fallout UI.

Is there something particular season pass holders need to do in order to download the add-ons?

N° 2048

I purchased the edition that came with the season pass, and entered my code for it when the game was released; the code was recognized and accepted. I'm trying to download Automatron, but the PS store is telling me I have to pay for it. Can't seem to find a way to download it from the Fallout UI.

Is there something particular season pass holders need to do in order to download the add-ons?

Try Restoring License option.

Replicant

Check if you're downloading from the right country instead of the country of your main PSN account. For example, even though my main PSN account is US, I bought my Fallout 4 + DLC from Australia store. So I had to download them from Australian PSN.

On the Xbox my son couldn't get it to work and then I read a suggestion that said to start a new character. He did and was able to play, even with his old characters. Worked for me too

Tigress

Is there a release date for Wasteland Workshop or for Survival Mode to go out of beta?

I think Survival mode is supposed to come out before Wasteland Workshop and I heard somewhere the announced DLC was going to come out one a month (so sometime in April for WW).

I also though heard 3-4 weeks for Survival mode (depending on how beta goes and how much they have to tweak change).

I'm so excited for survival mode and I'm actually pleasantly surprised at the last DLC (I haven't even started the quest really but I love the random encounters I get now with the robots as they are fun and add more chaos to the game cause they seem to happen at the same time as other random encounters leaving interesting experiences to be had). And well, more crafting. You can't complain about more crafting ;).

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I need help.

I want to finish the main quest but i want to know what are the different endings and what i've got for go with one or others?Where i can find this information?

Doc_Drop

I need help.

I want to finish the main quest but i want to know what are the different endings and what i've got for go with one or others?Where i can find this information?

There is a turning point quest that will greatly influence what story avenues are open or closed to you at that point. If you've gone past that then your options are limited, if not you have some time to work around stuff and think about who you prefer.

I'm assuming you want a spoiler free version so it may be easier if you say where you are in the story and I'll try my best to advise as a gamefaqs or wiki page may end up ruining some stuff for you

Edit: Lol, or just see above

Volimar

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Doc_Drop

But i want to know before i choose the ending what i've got from the factions not the route to go to the final.

For example,if i choose the brotherhood i have a car,if i choose for the institute i have a horse...etc.

Brotherhood -
access to vertibird/vertibird grenades, prydwyn remains
Institute -
access to institute, synth spawning grenades, synths all over the place
Railroad -
Ballistic weave upgrade for most clothing/armour (really useful), excellent silenced pistol, railroad hq
Minutemen -
Commonwealth wide settlements and support, artillery grenades (call in air strikes from nearby cannons that you build at settlements

This may be oversimplified, some things I may have forgotten, and the remaining hostile factions vary depending on how you approach stuff

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Brotherhood -
access to vertibird/vertibird grenades, prydwyn remains
Institute -
access to institute, synth spawning grenades, synths all over the place
Railroad -
Ballistic weave upgrade for most clothing/armour (really useful), excellent silenced pistol, railroad hq
Minutemen -
Commonwealth wide settlements and support, artillery grenades (call in air strikes from nearby cannons that you build at settlements

This may be oversimplified, some things I may have forgotten, and the remaining hostile factions vary depending on how you approach stuff

Thanks!That's the information i want to know.

And what is the best faction to go to the end for the rewards?

Doc_Drop

Depends on your character to be honest and I haven't fully completed the Brotherhood line. Institute was somewhat underwhelming to me, minutemen was great for commonwealth domination (but you can keep them sweet whilst completing some of the other faction's story and still run things with them), for me the railroad was the one I preferred. But if you skim back through the thread (I can't remember the no. of the post) there is a detailed explanation of how to get some of the bonuses without completing the story for the faction. But yeh, the railroad to me were the lesser of the evils with minutemen a close second

You actually get most of these rewards way before finishing the final quest with one of these fractions. You can play any fraction very far right before the end.

For the end I recommend just going for the fraction that you personally like the most. The one that stands closest to what you think is best for the commonwealth.
Other than that it doesn't really matter imo.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I had a question in regards to the DLC? I'm playing on PS4 and I have a terrible glitch that I can't fix.

i can't install that beacon on Ada. I've tried multiple things like shooting her and then healing her, asking her about it in different ways, but all it does is give her the beacon (I can see it on her) and then it won't satisfy the quest. I've replayed the DLC to the point before this, where you fight the robot with the brain and then I uninstalled/reinstalled the entire game. It won't let me install the beacon and move on to the next objective. I built the workstation around the large contraption I made for the main quest because that might be where I have enough resources? The videos I watch are at other locations and even in Sanctuary. It just won't satisfy the quest and I've looked all over the Internet for a solution and unless you're on PC, there's no real fix.

Edit: Bethesda fix this, it's obviously an issue with this DLC of yours!

I had a question in regards to the DLC? I'm playing on PS4 and I have a terrible glitch that I can't fix.

i can't install that beacon on Ada. I've tried multiple things like shooting her and then healing her, asking her about it in different ways, but all it does is give her the beacon (I can see it on her) and then it won't satisfy the quest. I've replayed the DLC to the point before this, where you fight the robot with the brain and then I uninstalled/reinstalled the entire game. It won't let me install the beacon and move on to the next objective. I built the workstation around the large contraption I made for the main quest because that might be where I have enough resources? The videos I watch are at other locations and even in Sanctuary. It just won't satisfy the quest and I've looked all over the Internet for a solution and unless you're on PC, there's no real fix.

Edit: Bethesda fix this, it's obviously an issue with this DLC of yours!
I
built the workstation in Sanctuary too but the quest marker pointed me somewhere else (Jamaica Plain?). I had the same issue but when I traveled to Jamaica Plain from Sanctuary with Ada she approached me and the next quest triggered. It's like it was ties to the location rather than Ada herself

Hope that helps

JoeNut

Damn i do not feel drawn to play this, i've done the first couple of bits, it was hard as hell, i don't feel the pull to get me playing it that i did before it came out :/

Top Bottom