• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Recall

I know, and I try to place them in the water in Sanctuary. Just to be more precise, the item is highlighted in the menu but I dont see it in the editor. Normally you see the item highlighted red if you are unable to place it at the current location and green if you can place it at the current location. I dont even see the item...

I have the same problem with turrets. Reloading the save fixes the problem.

Sarcasm

I am freaking out. So I got Red Rocket as a small sleeping spot. I wandered and found that Abernathy farm, got a quest and then I found a CoOp.

Should I go to Concord or do what else?

I am freaking out. So I got Red Rocket as a small sleeping spot. I wandered and found that Abernathy farm, got a quest and then I found a CoOp.

Should I go to Concord or do what else?

Why don't you just play the game and find out yourself. Don't think too much about all this, just explore and find out and enjoy the ride.

Sarcasm

Why don't you just play the game and find out yourself. Don't think too much about all this, just explore and find out and enjoy the ride.

Yea I am goign to taek a break or go back to non-survival character. Going outside of Sanc in any direction gets me killed...how do I get exp...

I mean I dont' have resources flowing besides a water pump so that is a slow death right there. I leave and things two shot me..in vats even.

Tigress

Yea I am goign to taek a break or go back to non-survival character. Going outside of Sanc in any direction gets me killed...how do I get exp...

I mean I dont' have resources flowing besides a water pump so that is a slow death right there. I leave and things two shot me..in vats even.

That's why I said emphasize sneaking and shooting from afar ;). Survival really focuses on that. Oh, here is a really good tip for sneaking I didn't know when starting Fallout 4 that will help you sneak better. Those brackets around the [ Hidden ] [ Caution ] [ Danger ] will inform you of how close to being seen (or in danger's case how close the danger is to you). They are far away when you are not very visible (or the enemy not close in danger's case) and get closer the louder/more noticeable you are. So 1. If you see them moving at all you know there is some one nearby. 2. If they start moving closer you are getting closer or moving too fast or getting into their field of view... stop and move slower/find where they are. 3. If they are rapidly coming close you're probably fucked for not being seen, run and hope to get out of their view (if you run in the right direction this can help get you back in Caution. 4. Get a recon scope as soon as you can and start scanning with it everytime you see those brackets move (or use your pip boy but I consider that cheating for my playthrough but if you don't mind it's a valid strategy too. I just like to play with the real time action. More immersive to me). 5. Detected status doesn't mean they're not hostile. Could just mean they'll only be hostile if you get too close <- bloodbugs do this as well as ghouls who aren't standing up but looking dead. Some mobs only get aggressive when you get close or attack them from afar.

But it also encourages you to start thinking outside the box. To get past a quest yesteray where I had a legendary mutant keep killing me over and over.... well sneak wasn't going to work well cause he was inside a building and close to the entrance so nowhere to run and hide if he heard me (and close enough he'd come find me before he lost interest). So I put a mine outside the door and ran out. Except he'd come out with me and I got blown up. So I put the mine further outside, told my follower to wait further down the hill where I felt I'd have a second to tell him to follow me before the mutant saw me and then run far enough the mutant wouldn't find me and I could maybe start sniping him (if you get enough distance super mutants aren't very observant so you can keep them from seeing you with a little caution, sometimes just running from them while in caution to make sure the distance keeps good works just as well). Worked like a charm.

And the game respawned the behomoth I had to fight in the first place (I had a vertibird to kill him the first time but then it respawned him again and no more vertibird). Sneak would eventually kill him but I'd be tired from two in game days of not sleeping and still had a building to clear (no beds before that). I had to go find a different follower (I had dogmeat and he isn't really helpful when it comes to attacking mobs but I like the idea of it being me and my dog) and some missiles and come up with a strategy that I could kill him fast enough and get him focusing on a different person than me while I killed him.

I love survival cause it does force you to start thinking tactics and really trial and error to find the best way to solve a problem. It's actually what is great about Fallout 1 and 2.. it forces you to have to be creative cause it's not going to be easy unless you find ways to give yourself advantages. But yeah if you just want to run and shoot survival probably isn't for you. Hell, even if you just like sniping from afar and shooting you will find you have to thin outside the box cause that doesn't always work too ;) (That's my usual playstyle).

Though I'm still terrified of going into the glowing sea and have no idea how I'm going to tackle that.

(oh, and go find a map that shows the easy areas of Fallout. Stick to those until you level up some. I'm level 30 and only starting to venture into more dangerous areas <- I'm honestly not good at gaming and I find that what people can do in lower levels I have to be higher leveled).

Sarcasm

Well thing was I am trying to get that locket, I run into the issue. Then I go more north, more raiders. Great wall of raiders. So if I can't get past these dudes don't think I can do that quest =p.

Tigress

Well thing was I am trying to get that locket, I run into the issue. Then I go more north, more raiders. Great wall of raiders. So if I can't get past these dudes don't think I can do that quest =p.

Oh, that locket? SNeak really is your friend there. I don't think I did that one until I was a little levelled up (but not much, I did it before the corvega quest, probably one of my first quests though really).

Maybe work on finding resources for your settlement to build first, I found that was a great way to level up (also, building new stuff gives you experience ;) ). It won't get you in a cramped area like that but will have you come across some mobs

But yeah.. what I'd do is stealth in there and stealth kill the first guy then run up to the stairs and wait til they stop searching for you, and go for the next (headshots are very good and will probably get you a one shot kill if you have a good gun. This is why I kinda disagree with the advice of some one to ignore gun nut... being able to make a good gun at the beginning will help a lot cause one shot kills are more important in survival. Easier to get them to stop searching if you kill the guy who noticed you cause you shot him. They search less if they haven't been shot).

Try to pick them off one by one. And definitely try to pick off the one with the minigun with a headshot (She will get into view if you look through the right door and if you are far enough away she won't notice you looking at her). But if she notices you she probably won't run too fast after you so run far away (like at least to the lobby before the stairs if not the stairs) and then hide and if you are in caution with brackets not right next to it, sneak farther away and then watch the brackets and if they aren't going closer wait until they move farther away and you are hidden again.

Also, in my game and I am betting it will be in yours too, there is a sniper gun you can get on the second floor of the town near Sanctuary (it's one of the buildings on the south edge I believe, overlooking a campfire and some mattresses. It's on the second floor by a skeleton and I'm betting it's always a sniper rifle cause it looks like one of those set up by the developers as telling a story through placement of skeletons/items). A good sniper gun will really help you to get those one shot kills from far enough away they won't outright notice you (but put you in caution) when you shoot some one.

Repost from Far Harbor thread.

Maybe you guys can explain this issue for me. I do game sharing in my house on my two Xbox Ones. My living room console is the primary console, my office console is the away console.

No Fallout 4 dlc is working on the living room console. It shows up under the add-ons menu in game, but the season pass and individual dlc doesn't show up under the manage game section.

In game, the dlc doesn't ever activate or work.

Does the season pass or dlc not work with game Sharing?

Seems to be working OK for me.

Sarcasm

Oh, that locket? SNeak really is your friend there. I don't think I did that one until I was a little levelled up (but not much, I did it before the corvega quest, probably one of my first quests though really).

Maybe work on finding resources for your settlement to build first, I found that was a great way to level up (also, building new stuff gives you experience ;) ). It won't get you in a cramped area like that but will have you come across some mobs

But yeah.. what I'd do is stealth in there and stealth kill the first guy then run up to the stairs and wait til they stop searching for you, and go for the next (headshots are very good and will probably get you a one shot kill if you have a good gun. This is why I kinda disagree with the advice of some one to ignore gun nut... being able to make a good gun at the beginning will help a lot cause one shot kills are more important in survival. Easier to get them to stop searching if you kill the guy who noticed you cause you shot him. They search less if they haven't been shot).

Try to pick them off one by one. And definitely try to pick off the one with the minigun with a headshot (She will get into view if you look through the right door and if you are far enough away she won't notice you looking at her). But if she notices you she probably won't run too fast after you so run far away (like at least to the lobby before the stairs if not the stairs) and then hide and if you are in caution with brackets not right next to it, sneak farther away and then watch the brackets and if they aren't going closer wait until they move farther away and you are hidden again.

Also, in my game and I am betting it will be in yours too, there is a sniper gun you can get on the second floor of the town near Sanctuary (it's one of the buildings on the south edge I believe, overlooking a campfire and some mattresses. It's on the second floor by a skeleton and I'm betting it's always a sniper rifle cause it looks like one of those set up by the developers as telling a story through placement of skeletons/items). A good sniper gun will really help you to get those one shot kills from far enough away they won't outright notice you (but put you in caution) when you shoot some one.

Yea this mode is interesting but implementation is off. I can't go into concord, giant mosquitoes two shot me. Can't go NE due to wall of raiders. East..I got to the CoOp. Got the magazine that is suppose to double meat drops (for most part it does). Further, I get two shotted.

I decided to go to the museum and there is only a bed at the start of town. I get two shotted by the raiders in lobby in VATS. I killed the two guys up top but I can't do much else as there isn't anything strategic you can do in this room. So really, what am I to do? Also how do I get settlers....if I can't get past entrance to the museum.

Or what am I doing wrong? I go slow and look (that is even how I did it with my other save) but this isn't working so well. I guess I just don't know how to handle incoming damage or something.

Volimar

I gave up on building outer walls for my settlements. They don't do any good and they take up too much of your building allowance. Instead I just run street lights along the perimeter, and then build a laser turret next to each street light. Thank God for fusion generators. End up with a hugely high defense so I can just ignore settlements that need help when I'm in Far Harbor, etc.

You only get Vetibirds if you ally with the Brotherhood, the other factions don't have another means of fast travel in the Wasteland. Which creates balance issues in Survival mode where normal fast travel is disabled. It'd be cool if the Institiute had teleportation conduits you could build within settlements to at least fast travel to those.

N° 2048

You only get Vetibirds if you ally with the Brotherhood, the other factions don't have another means of fast travel in the Wasteland. Which creates balance issues in Survival mode where normal fast travel is disabled. It'd be cool if the Institiute had teleportation conduits you could build within settlements to at least fast travel to those.

Railroad gets Vertibird grenades too ;)

Tinker Tom sells em once you're in enough with them.

Institute is the only one that does not get Vertibird grenades.

Tigress

Yea this mode is interesting but implementation is off. I can't go into concord, giant mosquitoes two shot me. Can't go NE due to wall of raiders. East..I got to the CoOp. Got the magazine that is suppose to double meat drops (for most part it does). Further, I get two shotted.

I decided to go to the museum and there is only a bed at the start of town. I get two shotted by the raiders in lobby in VATS. I killed the two guys up top but I can't do much else as there isn't anything strategic you can do in this room. So really, what am I to do? Also how do I get settlers....if I can't get past entrance to the museum.

Or what am I doing wrong? I go slow and look (that is even how I did it with my other save) but this isn't working so well. I guess I just don't know how to handle incoming damage or something.

Well, it's too bad it's not for you but I honestly think the implementation is more spot on that I expected it to be (I was hesitant about the save mechanic and even more so about how often enemies respawn). It's way better than hardcore mode in Vegas (and usually I find very little that Bethesda did or does better than how Obsidian treated Vegas).

It does make you have to be a lot more creative. BTW, in buildings if you run out of the building when they are chasing you they will either lose you or a few might come out but if you run further away soon as you loud outside and then hide, a lot of times you can get them to lose you and then you can snipe them before you go back in. This is how I killed the legendary mutant butcher in a mission where he was so close he'd find you if you alerted him. I ended up using that to my advantage (I planted a bottlecap mine outside the door, had my follower wait further down the hill where I'd have a chance to tell him to let's go (otherwise he'd cause me trouble as he'd stay and try to fight), waiting for him to lose me, and then sniped him from far enough away he couldn't find me but hitting him caused him to stay in caution so he didn't retreat back inside.

Tigress

I will never play Fallout 4 without Survival Mode on.
It forces you to adapt and think in such amazing ways.

I love it.

I feel the same way. Well until I find the one obstacle I can't seem to find my way around. But so far that has yet to happen even when the game bugged and insisted on spawning a second behemoth for me to fight after I killed the first one (but had a vertibird and mini gun for the first one). The most unfair enemies I find are the ones that burrow cause as soon as they hear you/get alerted they know exactly where you are and will teleport straight to you (even if you are moving around and not staying still). That honestly I feel is a little cheaty of the game but that's more a problem with their AI design than survival mode.

DireStr8s

Anyway to make vertiturds hover when riding them?

Had a really cool emergent moment destroyed when I took my first ride to a settlement under attack. Here I am taking in the view, pondering the wonder of flight in survival mode. We approach Abernathy Farm; the place is swarming with enemies. The vertiturd pitches around to give me a prfect angle to use the minigun to inflict some scorched earth policy...then it promptly lands and boots me out right into thier jaws. No chance. Totally dead. Moment ruined, lol.

Replicant

Question: On PS4, does anyone know how to find out how long I've been playing this game?

I know it's been precisely 7 months as of tomorrow. But I want to know the exact hours and I can't seem to see it from the save file or in-game stats. All it says is that my character has been around the Commonwealth for 615+ days (aka almost 2 years-ish).

N° 2048

Question: On PS4, does anyone know how to find out how long I've been playing this game?

I know it's been precisely 7 months as of tomorrow. But I want to know the exact hours and I can't seem to see it from the save file or in-game stats. All it says is that my character has been around the Commonwealth for 615+ days (aka almost 2 years-ish).

Go load a game and hit options button on the save file then hit information

Replicant

Go load a game and hit options button on the save file then hit information

Okay, it only shows me days? And it's only 16 days...which means 384 hours.

I guess since I don't play this 24/7, that's accurate? I mean 7 months have actually passed but I don't actually play the game 24/7 in 7 months.

N° 2048

Okay, it only shows me days? And it's only 16 days...which means 384 hours.

I guess since I don't play this 24/7, that's accurate? I mean 7 months have actually passed but I don't actually play the game 24/7 in 7 months.

It should show DaysHoursMinutes playtime when you hit Information on a Fallout 4 save file.

My survival mode save says 2d.9h.18m = 57 hours 18 min
Another save says 8d.8h.14m = 200 hours 14 min

So just add up the times for the latest save on each character.

Replicant

It should show DaysHoursMinutes playtime when you hit Information on a Fallout 4 save file.

My survival mode save says 2d.9h.18m = 57 hours 18 min
Another save says 8d.8h.14m = 200 hours 14 min

So just add up the times for the latest save on each character.

Yeah, it says 16d.0h.14m which I guess rounds about to 384 hours. 2 full weeks out of 7 months of my life. Heh.

Any tips for newcommers? What stats to invest at start? Strength for extra carrying?

any secret locations, weapons early in game?

S 3
P 3
E 3
C 3
I 3
A 3
L 3
=21

balanced ok?

Sarcasm

So as I am playing survival I can't really venture out so I need to build a base.

So far I planted what I found which mostly everything besides razergrain. Where can I find some? I have a waterpump. Now I got questions!

1) Do I need settlers for the food to grow?
2) Industrial water pumps, if I put these down by the water, do I need settlers?
3) Do I need to protect the industrial water pumps for when I do get settlers then invasions?
4) If yes, I assume power must be protected right?
5) Does type of wall matter in terms of protection?

Volimar

So as I am playing survival I can't really venture out so I need to build a base.

So far I planted what I found which mostly everything besides razergrain. Where can I find some? I have a waterpump. Now I got questions!

1) Do I need settlers for the food to grow?
2) Industrial water pumps, if I put these down by the water, do I need settlers?
3) Do I need to protect the industrial water pumps for when I do get settlers then invasions?
4) If yes, I assume power must be protected right?
5) Does type of wall matter in terms of protection?

1). Yes. They work the crops when you're not there and they have to have crops to work so they can feed themselves.

2). Industrial powered pumps work autonomously, so you don't need settlers for them to work at all.

3). You need defenses for your settlements period to stop attacks. The game says to have a defense rating at least as high as your food and water combined to help prevent attacks, but they'll still happen occasionally.

4). Your power and water pumps can become damaged during attacks, so it's good to have defenses, but too near to the power/pumps and they are more likely to get damaged in the crossfire

5). Walls around the settlement are fairly useless sad to say. Enemies will still glitch through, but putting walls around your pumps and food and water can protect them from being damaged. As for the type, it's generally whatever you can manage or prefer. I haven't anything to suggest that one type of wall is more protective than another.

Morokh

5). Walls around the settlement are fairly useless sad to say. Enemies will still glitch through

Not entirely true, there are spawn points in some settlements that are inside the build area, so if you put your walls based on the build area some ennemies will of course spawn inside.

If you can spot those spawn points and build accordingly, you're golden, but in some places it means loosing a ton of space.

Or you know, there are mods for that :p

Volimar

Not entirely true, there are spawn points in some settlements that are inside the build area, so if you put your walls based on the build area some ennemies will of course spawn inside.

If you can spot those spawn points and build accordingly, you're golden, but in some places it means loosing a ton of space.

Or you know, there are mods for that :p

Yeah, this is true (abernathy farm), but the glitching is too. Especially anything that flies. You could have walls to the highest building point and they'll still glitch in.

N° 2048

I feel like my settlements never get attacked because I surround it with every possible Turret type.

Have some with 18+ people.

Sarcasm

There is no achievement for survival right? I am about done with it. It was interesting but with how things work ingame it becomes more work/tedious then actual fun.

I found out I can't go to Concord yet. So that is okay. I go west got the locket mission (USAF to the east) and magazine from CoOp.

Get to USAF after few tries from the raiders (group of 3 at a camp). I can't fight the boss chick with minigun.

Think I just won't pick up the game anymore lol. Was hoping it be a fun mode but it isn't for me. The food/Hunger system is unimaginative. Haven't dealt with illness stuff yet but I think it is more interesting at least.

N° 2048

There is no achievement for survival right? I am about done with it. It was interesting but with how things work ingame it becomes more work/tedious then actual fun.

I found out I can't go to Concord yet. So that is okay. I go west got the locket mission (USAF to the east) and magazine from CoOp.

Get to USAF after few tries from the raiders (group of 3 at a camp). I can't fight the boss chick with minigun.

Think I just won't pick up the game anymore lol. Was hoping it be a fun mode but it isn't for me. The food/Hunger system is unimaginative. Haven't dealt with illness stuff yet but I think it is more interesting at least.

4 or 5 grenades took care of the girl with mini gun and her buddies. I might have set some mines for backup as well.
Stay up top and get her from there.

Sarcasm

4 or 5 grenades took care of the girl with mini gun and her buddies. I might have set some mines for backup as well.
Stay up top and get her from there.

I don't even have grenades...

You mean run back again but instead of trying to get to cover go to the area with a railing above?

N° 2048

I don't even have grenades...

You mean run back again but instead of trying to get to cover go to the area with a railing above?

Yea I picked her apart from the railing. I took advantage of the wonky A.I pathing.

You can sneak down and set some mines just before they see you (careful your Companion can aggro them) and then once they rush you they will get blown up or get heavily damaged.

Also;
Chems
Chems
Chems

rofl

Sarcasm

Yea I picked her apart from the railing. I took advantage of the wonky A.I pathing.

You can sneak down and set some mines just before they see you (careful your Companion can aggro them) and then once they rush you they will get blown up or get heavily damaged.

Also;
Chems
Chems
Chems

rofl

Yeah I got sneak attack on her.

Now I can take lone wanderer which stacks with dogmeat but what about the bonuses from other companions? Is it worth the loss of those for the level 1 +50 carry limit (niceeee) and -15% incoming damage?

Top Bottom