• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
I killed everyone in Diamond City and I'm regretting it. If I use the resurrect command to bring them all back will they function as normal?

the guy who owns the bar in the stands died when i did that ambush
. i managed to bring him back to life but he wasn't leaving the area where he died and i couldn't really talk to him. i tried punching him to see if he would chase me back to diamond city but he just started shooting at me. so i killed him again and left him there to rot.
__

anybody able to give me an idea of how far into the story i am? the next main quest i have to do is go to
the glowing sea to find virgil
. i'm just focusing on side quests at the moment and exploring. i haven't done any faction quests as far as i know except the initial minutemen ones where you start the settlement/clear raiders.

thanks!

Had a really funny thing happen to me randomly last night and I thought I'd share because it seems like it's missable, put it in spoiler tags just in case even though it isn't a spoiler about the story or anything.

I was walking down the street around the eastern coast I believe, in full power armor and a black guy in a cowboy hat and a laser musket comes up to me and says he's Preston Garvey of the Minutemen and he's been sent around the Commonwealth by order of the General to collect money for their cause, he then says he's a lieutenant and my character says "Huh, well I'm the General" sarcastically and the guys laughs it off and continues his act and then my character says "Well... I'm the General." And then he's like "Oh God I'm sorry!" or something like that and just hauls ass as fast as he can. It was genuinely one of the funniest moments in the game and something I could have totally missed.

Sagroth

Head shots are considered criticals, correct? Does that mean the perks increasing critical hit damage also boosts headshot damage?

uberluigi

Banned
Is anyone else experiencing a weird bug on the Clearing the way for Sanctuary Hills mission? I been ignoring the mission for awhile so I decided to finally give it a shot, well for some reason the settler that I have to speak too is half way across the map and he's dead... But the way point is still on him. Anyone know how to fix this?

Rizzi

Is anyone else experiencing a weird bug on the Clearing the way for Sanctuary Hills mission? I been ignoring the mission for awhile so I decided to finally give it a shot, well for some reason the settler that I have to speak too is half way across the map and he's dead... But the way point is still on him. Anyone know how to fix this?

If you're on PC you could use a console command to resurrect him.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
so, without going into spoiling anything, as I've gotten further into the main story, is it getting really dumb with huge holes, or do I need to just wait it out?

Acinixys

The hacking mini game is probably the worst thing ever invented in the history of video games

I have honestly never had to deal with such an unfun mechanic in a game before

I realize that most people probably love it but sweet jesus

Give me the Bioshock pipe hacking game over this bullshit any day

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
actually, I'll have to be specific. I'm trying to gauge how far along I am with the main story.

I've made it to the institute and I am reclaiming 4 lost synths. The Battle of Bunker Hill Mission.
Am I far along enough that I should stop and do quests for other factions before I get locked out and make enemies of them?

Thanks

Ken

The hacking mini game is probably the worst thing ever invented in the history of video games

This is why I'll be sad when I change Nick out for another companion: goodbye not having to do terminal unlocks myself.

vocab

2885718-8800263791-laugh.gif

Plumbing puzzles should just die and never return.

R0ckman

Just got passed a certain part of the main quest and felt kinda weird about it.

I love what they did with Kellog and the memory thing and making it deeper, but it felt weird that they made hunting him down and fighting him so climatic, I liked that, but the story made him a punch-clock villain, so its hard to view him as more than a glorified enemy you run into in the wild, right down to his defeat he just didn't really give a crap, even in his death he didn't care. Makes me defeating him feel kind of empty. Different for me I guess, but I liked the overall design of that part, I really like this game.

Zekes!

I actually like the codebreaker aspect of hacking terminals. I just feel like there aren't enough attempts available.

Also, it would be good if there was a few different hacking minigames to add some variety. Not sure how you'd do the same for lock picking though.

May16

Started a couple days ago, some questions...

1) How long does it take for shopkeepers and stuff to replenish their supply of caps?
(I sold some stuff to a lady at a farm, went around questin' for a couple of hours, including resting for several more in-game hours, then came back but she still just had 10 caps. This means I couldn't sell her anything. Any reliable way to know when a shop will have caps again?)

2) Is there a way (I'm on PS4 btw) to set, like a favorite set of armor and then quickly equip or unequip all of it? I like to change into Charisma-boosting clothes before buying and selling, then back into battle gear, but going piece-by-piece is slow. Any way around that?

Thanks!

CloudWolf

Goddammit, I went to Sanctuary and it got attacked by raiders which caused the settlers to jump in my three power armors I had stored there... and then they fucking walked off and when they came back they were out of the armor. I have no clue where they took the armors

This is why the new power armor wasn't a great idea. At least with the old system people couldn't just walk off with your shit.

I actually like the codebreaker aspect of hacking terminals. I just feel like there aren't enough attempts available.

Also, it would be good if there was a few different hacking minigames to add some variety. Not sure how you'd do the same for lock picking though.
Fun fact, you can reset your tries/remove duds by searching for bracketed off sections in the code. It's the first thing I do.

FarmerGiles

actually, I'll have to be specific. I'm trying to gauge how far along I am with the main story.

I've made it to the institute and I am reclaiming 4 lost synths. The Battle of Bunker Hill Mission.
Am I far along enough that I should stop and do quests for other factions before I get locked out and make enemies of them?

Thanks

You've already locked out the Railroad by this point. As for the others, this quest is pretty much the linchpin where you get to decide if you're going to side with the Institute or someone else.

Corpekata

Banned
I installed that Power Armor helmet mod for the "highlights living targets" and regretted it. I'd stick with it if like it let you toggle it or something but everything having that red shimmer including friendly NPCs is just ugly as shit.

SirNinja

So apparently if you do the retake Castle mission for the Minuteman before the Brotherhood cavalry arrives you cannot recruit Preston again as your companion.

I don't use him too much but this is quite annoying ://///
Wha? I did the Castle mission way before the Prydwen's arrival and I can recruit Garvey just fine.

And you never will, if you bring Nick along with you.

Had a really funny thing happen to me randomly last night and I thought I'd share because it seems like it's missable, put it in spoiler tags just in case even though it isn't a spoiler about the story or anything.

I was walking down the street around the eastern coast I believe, in full power armor and a black guy in a cowboy hat and a laser musket comes up to me and says he's Preston Garvey of the Minutemen and he's been sent around the Commonwealth by order of the General to collect money for their cause, he then says he's a lieutenant and my character says "Huh, well I'm the General" sarcastically and the guys laughs it off and continues his act and then my character says "Well... I'm the General." And then he's like "Oh God I'm sorry!" or something like that and just hauls ass as fast as he can. It was genuinely one of the funniest moments in the game and something I could have totally missed.

That means Minutemen are shady basically; they are one of those abuse-prone factions or social structures. I know about their past, but that encounter can be interpreted either way depending on whether you actually met the real Preston in that encounter.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
see those comics/magazines/bobbleheads you collect to get perks/rewards do i need to keep them or can i sell them once i've put them in my inventory?

The damage listed calculates your perks already.
Really? I have bonuses for silenced and sneak attacks. Shame if that's the case. I understand if the Perk for Rifles is added but Sneak is situational. That's where my x5.3 comes from, my Sneak attacks. Or the Ninja perk I should say. The Silenced bonus may be added already.

Also just got my X-01 fitted with a jumpsuit!
Flying in a Blue Suit!

see those comics/magazines/bobbleheads you collect to get perks/rewards do i need to keep them or can i sell them once i've put them in my inventory?
I wondered too. I guess the simplest thing to do is save, check your bonuses in the menu then sell a mag and check again to see if it's changed. I'll try this myself later.

Aces&Eights

Goddammit, I went to Sanctuary and it got attacked by raiders which caused the settlers to jump in my three power armors I had stored there... and then they fucking walked off and when they came back they were out of the armor. I have no clue where they took the armors

This is why the new power armor wasn't a great idea. At least with the old system people couldn't just walk off with your shit.

Fun fact, you can reset your tries/remove duds by searching for bracketed off sections in the code. It's the first thing I do.

It's my understanding that if you take the core out of the armor then people won't steal/borrow it. I can't say for sure this is fact but I've left armor at Sanctuary for over 41 hours now and it's never been taken.

So apparently if you do the retake Castle mission for the Minuteman before the Brotherhood cavalry arrives you cannot recruit Preston again as your companion.

I don't use him too much but this is quite annoying ://///

Arrrgh, he better come back. I need that perk. (Also, he's a very nice fellow.)

24 hours in and just discovered that holding down the VATS button target rather than tapping it gives you a green path to highlight your way to your current quest....

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is this a bug or by design?

Wha? I did the Castle mission way before the Prydwen's arrival and I can recruit Garvey just fine..

Arrrgh, he better come back. I need that perk. (Also, he's a very nice fellow.)

I checked the Fallout Wikia, apparently it's a known bug :// Now all I can do is just talk to him and he says generic stuff but the option to recruit him won't appear.

The wikia says if you want to avoid it you need to make sure you do the castle retake mission after the Brotherhood arrives.

It's too late for me right now... ah well... PS4 version btw.

Vex_

Banned
Really? I have bonuses for silenced and sneak attacks. Shame if that's the case. I understand if the Perk for Rifles is added but Sneak is situational. That's where my x5.3 comes from, my Sneak attacks. Or the Ninja perk I should say. The Silenced bonus may be added already.

Also just got my X-01 fitted with a jumpsuit!
Flying in a Blue Suit!

I wondered too. I guess the simplest thing to do is save, check your bonuses in the menu then sell a mag and check again to see if it's changed. I'll try this myself later.

There's a status tab on your pip boy that lists are bonuses and status effects. Go there to see the list. I put my magazines/comics on a stand... Still have the bonuses.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Guys. I don't get it. I consider my self a pretty jaded gamer, I am super critical. I think the graphics are amazing. The lighting, atmosphere and art direction is simply superb! The game reminds me of stalker mixed with last of us. I don't get the hate! Am I in the minority here?

vocab

I found a magazine that marks Diamond City permanently on your map.

A magazine that marks Diamond city permanently on your map

Diamond City

Permanently on your map

WOW.

I checked the Fallout Wikia, apparently it's a known bug :// Now all I can do is just talk to him and he says generic stuff but the option to recruit him won't appear.

The wikia says if you want to avoid it you need to make sure you do the castle retake mission after the Brotherhood arrives.

Thank you for letting us know. I'll go forward with the Brotherhood missions, then. I'm on PS4, too, and retaking the Castle was something I was planning on trying to do again tomorrow (
I was extremely unprepared for the Mirelurk Queen on Survival, holyfuckshit
). Thank you so much again for sharing, you saved my Preston perk!

danowat

Banned

You mean after the people who are sent to help retake the castle? I didn't think they were brotherhood?

sappyday

I found a magazine that marks Diamond City permanently on your map.

A magazine that marks Diamond city permanently on your map

Diamond City

Permanently on your map

WOW.

Did not understand the point of that magazine. When I restarted my character I went to get that mag before one of the characters in the early missions mention it and I don't think it was even marked on the map still .

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm about to start this and I have a question: is any of the settlement building required or forced on you? I don't like any building/recruiting/rts-type stuff, so I'm not looking forward to that part of the game. I wonder if the game lets you ignore it if you want to.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Guys. I don't get it. I consider my self a pretty jaded gamer, I am super critical. I think the graphics are amazing. The lighting, atmosphere and art direction is simply superb! The game reminds me of stalker mixed with last of us. I don't get the hate! Am I in the minority here?

I think it's because I'm playing games like GTA V/The Witcher 3/Battlefront so when I go to Fallout 4 it just looks really bad. However, without comparing it to those games I think it looks just fine. I'm just comparing it to 3/NV and it looks so much better.

I'm fine with it but it's a shame cause it could definitely look/run a lot better than what it does. It's just Bethesda doing what they do. They are using a dated engine and know that modders are just gonna do some of the work for them in terms of both visuals and performance. I support modding games but I don't think developers should get away with what Bethesda does.

that all said the game is still fun. it's already my top 3 most played games on Steam behind only GTA V and The Witcher 3. I suspect it will overtake GTA V to become 2nd.

Vex_

Banned

Like I've said before. This is the greatest game this year for me. It also goes into my top ten pushing out f3 and its expansion pack fonv.

I am a sucker for arpgs but even more a sucker for a world with endless loot and cool crafting. Also, any game with character customization is automatically gaining +10 coolness in my books.

Ultimadrago

I'm about to start this and I have a question: is any of the settlement building required or forced on you? I don't like any building/recruiting/rts-type stuff, so I'm not looking forward to that part of the game.

Not, really. The Minute Men ask you to build some basic stuff, more like a tutorial. You will also be told to build something at a base or two depending on which faction you roll with. So, it's very minimal if you decide to ignore the feature in leisure.

Hahs

Like I've said before. This is the greatest game this year for me. It also goes into my top ten pushing out f3 and its expansion pack fonv.

I am a sucker for arpgs but even more a sucker for a world with endless loot and cool crafting. Also, any game with character customization is automatically gaining +10 coolness in my books.
!
giphy.gif

The art style is excellent.

Top Bottom