• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Replicant

So I made a music video (not working in Germany for some reason):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCjpx4q515c

Well, not really. But one of the most enjoyable moments in the game for me was when I turned on the radio station and it was playing Skeeter Davis' "End of the World" while I was attacking the Super Mutants' tower with Codsworth.

Unforch, PS4's video capture didn't capture the radio song so I ended up having to re-construct the experience later on.

Spent two hours last night building a tree house in sanctuary. I know it's pointless, and it was incredibly frustrating with the tools they provided, and that bastard Nick kept walking between me and the items I was moving to decorate the interior sending them flying. But it was satisfying in the end. I just need to build a storeroom for all of my power armour now.

Zocano

A raider in power armor and a fatman has to be the most BS enemy in the game.

Boomer?

Boomer.

_____

After 100 ish hours and still only like half way through the main quest (but explored a huge chunk of the map), I'm starting to get worn down by how stilted and unchanging characters and environments are. Even the companion stuff just feels really terrible because they hardly feel like they grow as characters. I went through 2 "phases" of Cait's relationship because a building I went through had so many damn things to lock pick. I like exploring the world and that's why I got the game and it has lived up to that expectation quite a bit, but most of the storylines feeling so disconnected and disjointed (and then promptly forgotten/ignored by most in the world) has begun to grate on me immensely.

There's a Power Armor hidden inside a locked container in the Army Recruitment Camp. I think it is more than enough defense for you to make a run towards the shack and get that recording and then just jump down and ran away.

Ah... it's an expert lock though.

But even with power armour, it feels like I'm either going a much harder way then I have to, or that it's a bullshit mission this, with the amount of really strong enemies surrounding that place.

I mean, it's like the third mission for the brotherhood, and from where I'm looking, there is at least 5 super mutants, one legendary, and two mutant hounds in my way. And as soon as I attack one of them, all of them runs towards me.

It feels like your aren't meant to have to beat them all?

My attempt now was the surround a house with mines, hide in it, and try and draw the enemies out towards it, but then of course a raider in power armour also appears.

Zocano

It feels like your aren't meant to have to beat them all?

I managed to beat that encouter when I was fairly early on (I think level 10?) on survival by just spamming grenades. Also I think the missile launcher guy killed himself so I didn't have to contest with him. Lots of reloading though until I got everything down.

I'm prettyyyy sure they want you to do that later. At least until you're capable of dealing with super mutants somewhat unscathed.

edit: Playing this has made me want to replay New Vegas (especially because I never technically "beat it" when I played it originally). It should fill the void of Bethesda's story stuff while Fallout 4 has better moment-to-moment gameplay. Gonna miss the power armor system of 4 when I go back to New Vegas.

Almost 4 days of playing in-game and I haven't done much in the story. I'm up to the part with
meeting the detective after saving him.
. Damn this game is fun even without a plot.

I'm prettyyyy sure they want you to do that later. At least until you're capable of dealing with super mutants somewhat unscathed.

Yeah, right now I think that I will just wait with that mission until I have some stealth boys, or have crafter a ridiculous amount of explosives.

It just feels like such a weird jump in difficulty. I am level 18, so maybe it's something with level scaling for me. I understand that a brotherhood quest line should be action focused, considering what they are, but it's still odd in the quest line, that you're supposed to do deal with a threat a whole squad of brotherhood knights apparently failed to handle.

Arjen

How can the words "EVIL" and "GOOD" both have a Likeliness=1?!

I hate the fact you can only have one map marker active at any given time. I found a master terminal I needed to hack back at level 15 that I couldn't access at the time around the mid west sector now that I finally unlocked master hacking and can't remember the exact area :(

If the word was GIRL for example, the l from the first word is correct and the word from the second one.

Mr Swine

Banned
What lvl? What guns you got? What perks? Armor helps mitigate damage but I can pretty much wear whatever I want because my gun game is on point.

Also, what difficulty?

You shouldn't be dying like souls game dying.

I've played for 32 hours in survival and I'm lvl 12 with a bayoneted combat shotgun and a scattering Laser Rifle

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
If the word was GIRL for example, the l from the first word is correct and the word from the second one.

Oh, I see. Does that mean the rule of likeliness representing number of letters that appear in the correct position still stands or does the first likeliness simply represent form.

I take screenshots of the Pip Boy's map out and the terminal in the background to remember what to do and where it is.

Awe man :( Wish I knew this before... at least I can use it now. Thanks :)

Please tell me someone knows how to fix this...

I'm 85 hours in and, out of nowhere, the screen turned dark and colors are all washed out. It hasn't gone away after an hour, and the only way to fix it is to reload a prior save (which is 6 hours back).

I had the same bug after using a night vision scope. Unfortunately the only fix I could find was to reload an older save. Luckily it was only an hour back.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yeah, right now I think that I will just wait with that mission until I have some stealth boys, or have crafter a ridiculous amount of explosives.

It just feels like such a weird jump in difficulty. I am level 18, so maybe it's something with level scaling for me. I understand that a brotherhood quest line should be action focused, considering what they are, but it's still odd in the quest line, that you're supposed to do deal with a threat a whole squad of brotherhood knights apparently failed to handle.

What difficulty are you playing at? I did it at 15 and brought Danse with me. I sniped a lot from afar and it went pretty well. A bit rough but manageable.

Be forewarned that the quest has some glitch associated with it. You don't want to do all those hard work only to have it glitched on you.

Hasney

CUayXAnWwAAS51w.jpg:large

Gauss Rifle is love. Gauss Rifle is life.

Seyavesh

I love the game, though graphically is outdated, you have to understand that so many other games look better than fallout 4, with time mods can improve.

it's just so bizarre to me that it's considered 'outdated'
like.. compared to what? everything i can think of that looks better has a more limited scope

to provide perspective i'm coming from this -with- mods:
WSHQzPz.gif

to this unmodded:
PwJUWwa.gif

and being blown away while you're saying that it's outdated. it's just alien to me, haha

What difficulty are you playing at? I did it at 15 and brought Danse with me. I sniped a lot from afar and it went pretty well. A bit rough but manageable.

Be forewarned that the quest has some glitch associated with it. You don't want to do all those hard work only to have it glitched on you.

I'm level 18, playing on normal. And as far as I know, Danse hasn't been made available for me as a companion. This is the first quest he gives me, after him, Rhys and the scribe can give you quests when you join the Brotherhood.

It would make more sense if it's quest I do with him.

I took my power armour there now, to try and check it out up closer, and the when I approach the site from what I think is the closest one to the distress call, I could count these enemies coming at me:

1 legendary super mutant.
3 ordinary.
2 hounds.
1 suicide bomber.
1 with a missile launcher.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
how do i know i get a companion perk? does the companion talk to me and give me something or will it just happen?

ElFly

has anybody tried reverse-pickpocketing armor into NPCs?

with the maxxed out thief perk I can steal their clothes, but they seem to ignore the new armor

which is a shame, since dressing people out of character was one of the best things to do in Fallout 3

how do i know i get a companion perk? does the companion talk to me and give me something or will it just happen?

Just have your companion with you and do stuff he likes. From time to time he wants to talk to you. If he likes you enough you will get the perk (the game will tell you that you got it)

U2NUMB

So anyone know how to get this from happening.. its super annoying in my game.

When I go back to Sanctuary I am given no promps.. can not talk to anyone, can not even go into build mode.. even weapons are not raised. I have to walk out of my home area and then back to get anything to show up.

Insanely annoying and I can not seem to get it to stop. I am on the X1.

GReeeeN

does every companion have their own individual quest?

for example should I be spending time with strong, trying to advance his quest, or bring along someone like pipper which I know 100% has a quest.

N° 2048

That feeling when you're out of ammo in V.A.T.S but the Mysterious Stranger saves your ass.

Does Strong always hang out at Trinity Tower? I didn't pick him as a companion yet but might in the future.

So I discovered the Parsons
asylum
yonks ago and was wondering what the heck I'd find in there.

The answer to that question was much zanier than I imagined.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

has anybody tried reverse-pickpocketing armor into NPCs?

with the maxxed out thief perk I can steal their clothes, but they seem to ignore the new armor

which is a shame, since dressing people out of character was one of the best things to do in Fallout 3

Just have your companion with you and do stuff he likes. From time to time he wants to talk to you. If he likes you enough you will get the perk (the game will tell you that you got it)

They'll talk to you about 3 times after you've done enough stuff that they like. After that you'll get the perk.

thanks guys
Plus, a big achievement/trophy will pop.

Just received unlinted ammunition for my 10mm.

I was at Spectacle Island where I have a small community and gave one a 10mm pistol and all the 10mm ammo except one. Assigned him to the gaurd tower saved and fast travelled to dona mission. When I pulled out my 10mm it had a full clip and 999 ammo.

I don't know whats happened. If its a known thing or what but I am rocking this 10mm

So I just finished up the main quest at 26 hours and level 30. I must say the ending is as bad as FO3, seriously it was pretty underwhelming lol.

Rizzi

Rather than playing New Vegas again, I decided to make a new character.
This is Elise. She is unhappy. She has a bat, and would very much enjoy introducing it to faces.
How do I play this game melee only?

does every companion have their own individual quest?

for example should I be spending time with strong, trying to advance his quest, or bring along someone like pipper which I know 100% has a quest.

Piper has a quest? I got her perk already but no quest. Quess I have to go back to her again

Zabuza

Banned
it's just so bizarre to me that it's considered 'outdated'
like.. compared to what? everything i can think of that looks better has a more limited scope

to provide perspective i'm coming from this -with- mods:
WSHQzPz.gif

to this unmodded:
PwJUWwa.gif

and being blown away while you're saying that it's outdated. it's just alien to me, haha
What is that top game it looks nice

I've done Macready, Cait and Curies quests. Piper doesn't have one.

I've read Codsworth does. Not sure about anyone else.

So you can get the perk before the quest? That seems odd. I got Codsworth perk but no quest as well.
Only quest I got so far was Nick. And I got his perk after finishing the quest

Man loving this game . My first fallout , I was always put off by the vats shooting but the shooting here is so much better .

I'm only level 7 and barely scratched the surface, I love just wondering off on my own and finding tons of new areas . Everything is so densely packed it's amazing .

My game of the year so far , despite some of the janky systems .

Goddammit, I went to Sanctuary and it got attacked by raiders which caused the settlers to jump in my three power armors I had stored there... and then they fucking walked off and when they came back they were out of the armor. I have no clue where they took the armors

This is why the new power armor wasn't a great idea. At least with the old system people couldn't just walk off with your shit.

Fun fact, you can reset your tries/remove duds by searching for bracketed off sections in the code. It's the first thing I do.

Then don't leave your cores in the power armor.

Does Strong always hang out at Trinity Tower? I didn't pick him as a companion yet but might in the future.

Yes, he's there. But just be prepared for a LOT of talking and complaining. Dude is worst than Raul.

What is that top game it looks nice

Fallout New Vegas(with mods)

Hasney

So you can get the perk before the quest? That seems odd. I got Codsworth perk but no quest as well.
Only quest I got so far was Nick. And I got his perk after finishing the quest

Just re-read the page. The "associated quest" was just the opening one where you meet him.

Been playing for about 6 hours on PS4 but my save file says 16 hours... does it keep the clock ticking while the game is suspended? Kinda lame if so, I'll never know my true playtime.

Kamina777

Banned
I'm level 18, playing on normal. And as far as I know, Danse hasn't been made available for me as a companion. This is the first quest he gives me, after him, Rhys and the scribe can give you quests when you join the Brotherhood.

It would make more sense if it's quest I do with him.

I took my power armour there now, to try and check it out up closer, and the when I approach the site from what I think is the closest one to the distress call, I could count these enemies coming at me:

1 legendary super mutant.
3 ordinary.
2 hounds.
1 suicide bomber.
1 with a missile launcher.
Sounds like you've got a build that can't handle that pat of the quest yet and you need weapons and a strategy to beat it. I completed all three of those quests before i even met the botherhold from wandering the wasteland to get stronk.

I was level 11 with a silenced sniper rifle, plently of fragment mines and a strategy of constantly changing positions after offing each one with a perk build that almost tripled damage from silenced ranged attacks.

Quicksave wa my friend, Every time they would lose me and go back to patroling i would save, things fell apart often enough but being able to escape and hide when they did helped..

Took me an hour and getting through the last guy guarding the brotherhood soldier was puzzle like, yet pushing through it taught me there is no battle you can't win without the right tools and the right conditions!

Hasney

So from the Fallout Wiki (don't go unless you've finished the game, spoilers abound), the companions with quests are:

Cait, Nick, Curie & Macready

Top Bottom