• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Pillville

Vita remote play is soooooo well done!

I had emergency surgery to remove my appendix last week.
Being able to lie in bed and do some settlement building, Diamond City visiting, and minor exploring was a nice way to pass the time while recovering.

The mods for settlement building have improved it so much that the vanilla system is already a relic. Hopefully console players will get to experience the same whenever the workshop is up and running.

AJ_Wings

So after 60 hours, I think I'm gonna put the game down until some interesting mods pop up or the Bethesda DLC turns out to be interesting. My overall thoughts on the game are well... I like it. Really like it, more so than Fallout 3 and Skyrim especially in terms of playability and game feel. It's no Destiny but I really have to hand it to Bethesda for improving the actual core mechanics in the action side from Skyrim. The very act of playing is so much more enjoyable than their last game which featured incredibly weak feeling melee combat and unsatisfying magic system.

That being said, I just can't help but feel that as an experience it felt ultimately hollow. The most memorable moments I've encountered was Nick Valentine explaining his backstory, the park filled with Mr. Handys and that one bunker where
the mayor of Boston was desperately trying to protect his family from an angry mob and failing
. And that's pretty much it. To say that the questing and storytelling is a step down from New Vegas would be the understatement of the goddamn century. It feels soooo bland in comparison. While I'll hand it to Bethesda improving their writing from the awfulness that was Fallout 3, even that game featured more dynamic quests and variety in situations.

Like... go to linear hallway on this dot of the map, murder the fuck out of everyone, collect loot, get out, go back to quest giver...etc. It's so boring. To be fair, they did step the level design on the dungeon front. They are more interesting to navigate than the majority in Skyrim. I'll give them that. Even the settlement building which I really like is let down by an atrocious UI coupled with incredibly buggy controls that flat won't let you navigate the menu properly.

Like I said, I really like the game but a lot of the minor irritations are putting me off (I didn't even bring the terrible decision to bind melee to grenade throw which is just flatout awful in how it'd register the wrong command for no good reason) but there are a still a lot of I like so I'll probably come back to the game. Honestly, I feel like I want to start a new playthrough with New Vegas right now...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Always fun to get a new type of ammo without knowing what kind of gun it goes to first. Kinda exciting in a weird way hah.

psylah

The mods for settlement building have improved it so much that the vanilla system is already a relic. Hopefully console players will get to experience the same whenever the workshop is up and running.

Whatevs, man. I'll play through it on console, and then when I feel like revisiting it I'll play it on PC with the Oculus / Vive / whatever comes to market.

I feel like being on the console helps me to actually play the game, rather than open the console and just skip a lot of the systems of the game.

R0ckman

Man, the Protectrons are really better than I expected. I was doing a quest where I unleashed 2 of them (one of the bots actually turned into a legendary, on my side) on well over 4 to 6 super mutants including a legendary one and they literally steamrolled them in about 10 seconds, the only one left for me to attack by the time I got into a position to help out was the legendary super mutant and he was barely alive by that point. I guess part of it is that mutants seem to be weak to energy attacks. The alien blaster just blows through them.

I wish you could build the protectrons in settlements.

Speaking of that encounter, I had a bug where while I was fighting the super mutants at the entrance a suicide mutant walked through the door behind us that we used to enter from the commonwealth and blew us up. Never happened any other time during my reload.

Onikaan

Guys I need some insight into what I should do in the main story...

Who do I side with? I find them all to be self interested, and I cant relate with any of them. Perhaps the minute men, but i don't seem to have an option to inform them? What's that about.

Who'd you side with and why?

lem0n

Vita remote play is soooooo well done!

I had emergency surgery to remove my appendix last week.
Being able to lie in bed and do some settlement building, Diamond City visiting, and minor exploring was a nice way to pass the time while recovering.

Heck yeah. Way better than just going to Pillville

I don't know what people are doing with 100+ hour save files and stillhave a bunch of quests, it doesn't make sense!!! How!?!?!?

Have you tried building a LARGE settlement? Have spend countless hours on getting the castle as I want it alone and now I am into some other projects as well It is so addicting to me but really hate the size limit since I am constantly hitting that and makes me have to decide what to keep and what to give up :(. Hoppfully mods will remove it on PS4 even if it means framerate at sub 30 I dont care.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I'm not at home but I could tell you exactly where I found it when I see a map. I remember coming out of a 3-level school, getting a radio signal for a Military checkpoint, and heading out the door to the right. It was halfway between the school and a junkyard full of super mutants. It was abandoned on a road by an open APC that was being guarded by a Mr. Gutsy that exploded when it died.

Found a map with the area. I found it near an APC in this pink box.

Map spoilers below:

s9PgjXv.png

You need to be level 40+ for it to appear.

Power armor is level based and it seems like the x1 is only available at 28 or higher.
I am about mid 40s so I am good. Thanks for the tips, guys.

neoism

sooo guys is their a faction guide...?

i join RR first but just started BoS how far can i go in all the factions before having to decide the final one???

Branson

Just bought this yesterday. This really does have a been there done that feeling with the game lol. It feels like the Skyrim engine with upgrades which felt like the fallout engine with upgrades, etc. I didn't really feel super compelled to put a lot of time into it yesterday. I like the upgrades to the engine if I'm only comparing it to those older games.

I put 100s of hours into those other games so hopefully it grabs me. I just got out into the wasteland.

There's also a noticeable difference in the quality of writing coming from NV.

Damn, just found Libertalia. Right as I was approaching a Vertibird set down and dropped off some BoS paladins, while I had another group at my back that was defending a checkpoint. We assaulted that place together, culminating in me using the Big Boy on the fortress to shell it with Mini Nukes.

It was beautiful.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Damn, just found Libertalia. Right as I was approaching a Vertibird set down and dropped off some BoS paladins, while I had another group at my back that was defending a checkpoint. We assaulted that place together, culminating in me using the Big Boy on the fortress to shell it with Mini Nukes.

It was beautiful.

I had a different experience. Slowly working my way up to the big fortress with my girl Cait. Creeping along, taking cover, I approach the large fortress after killing tons of dudes.

Then, mini nuke drops from the sky. I die and say I'll return to it later. Awesome place, though. Wished it was a city.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is nexus mod manager easy to use? Ive never modded a bathesda game so Ive never used it

I know I know what was I doing with my life :/

bumclot

Not a bug, that wall is linked to a conversation with Bobbi and the other guy. It's just not given quest markers.

I'm late, but thank you! Sucks I'll have to do the quest over as I already loaded an earlier save, but I'm glad to hear I can complete it and get that
X-01 power armor hidden behind one of the destructable walls.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
So, I want to know if I am going to have to deal with some clashing factions later on and have some questions. I have heard conflicting stories on whether or not this will be come an issue. Kind of complicated.

I was originally helping the BoS. I helped them gain access to the Institute and originally gave them the holotape to learn about it. I then helped them work on Liberty Prime. It was at that point, after thinking on it more, that I decided that the Minutemen had the overall best interest in the commonwealth. I asked to have the holotape back (to give to the Minutemen) and they were more than happy to give it back (even stated they got what they wanted from it anyways). I told them I was going to give it to the Minutemen and they pretty much said "...well, if you trust them". I gave it to Sturges who is currently decrypting it. I have begun assisting settlements throughout the wasteland with the help of the Minutemen. My question is will the BoS or even the Railroad become a problem toward the end? I have heard people say that both the BoS and the Railroad were still active with the Minutemen ending.

HBP

Ok so I sent Dog Meat away and I can't remember which option I selected to send him to, looking online I saw you can send him to Sanctuary, and the Starlight Drive In, but I feel like there were more options on the list, does anyone know what the other locations may be?

Ok so I sent Dog Meat away and I can't remember which option I selected to send him to, looking online I saw you can send him to Sanctuary, and the Starlight Drive In, but I feel like there were more options on the list, does anyone know what the other locations may be?

You can send them to any location where you can build stuff. That can be a lot. If you press R1 (PS4) while you're on the map you can see all locations where he could be.

He was at the Red Rocket near Sanctuary when I found him again this morning.

Guevara

So I got the Aquaboy perk:

For one stupid mission at the excavators. I'm kind of regretting the decision? At least now I don't have to worry about water, though.

Do your companions or settlers add to the Def rating of your settement?: It doesn't show on your settlement stats. but I would have to figure having more guns in the fight is a good thing.

I've been using the third person view more lately, cause i really like to see my character now and then but there's definitely a bug in there. Basically when i am moving around, forward for example, it sometimes just automatically moves my character sideways or backwards. Annoying for sure.

Weebos

Banned
Does using VATS in power armor consume more battery?

And is there a decent power armor guide out there? I'm thinking about doubling down on it and seeing where it takes me.

Valus

Chameleon armor is awesome. But my only peeve is it makes your Pipboy unreadable when you're invisible. SUPER bright. WTF?

Not only that but it triggers that radiant bloom nonsense like crazy, at least on PS4. Everyone time I de-stealth it's as if my dude just opened up the blinds for the first time of the day. Had to stop using it.

Chitown B

my guys keep somehow ending up on my roof. WTF

Not only that but it triggers that radiant bloom nonsense like crazy, at least on PS4. Everyone time I de-stealth it's as if my dude just opened up the blinds for the first time of the day. Had to stop using it.

Yeah it does that too. I guess so you can see better without having your flashlight on.

Roni

Gold Member
Does using VATS in power armor consume more battery?

And is there a decent power armor guide out there? I'm thinking about doubling down on it and seeing where it takes me.

Don't know if there are static Power Armor drops outside quests. Places I've found X-01 Power Armor showed basic T-45 or maybe T-51 to some of my friends. People have theorized it's based on your character level. I was level 32+ when I found it, my friends were level 30-.

Nothing more exciting than stumbling upon a new suit of Power Armor when randomly exploring the Wasteland. Feels like Xmas morning.

Roni

Gold Member
Probably a stupid question, but i need some leather to upgrade my armor pieces for more carrying capacity. Where do i find leather in?

Easiest method I can think of is to murder some Raiders, loot their Leather armor and scrap it. Some animal hides might have it too...

Now that I think of it, never gave Leather much thought.

Top Bottom