• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

TheJLC

Definitely going to try and Platinum this game. But I've just been too busy having fun building stuff and killing random mutants, raiders, and gunners.

johnsmith

remember me
I have more caps than I can spend. Time to buy power armor batteries and wear a suit full time.

Still haven't found a single piece of X-01 though.

Well, (super late game spoilers???):
I immediately pulled out a shotgun and killed Father without letting him talk.

Let's see how this goes!
lmao

just a question, do you understand the implications of what you've just done? Have you been spoiled at all on the Institute or its denizens?

when fully considering context, that's a... rash decision to make, lol

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I have more caps than I can spend. Time to buy power armor batteries and wear a suit full time.

If you ever get heavy into settlements, the tier 3 stores are quite expensive just so you know

Zocano

lmao

just a question, do you understand the implications of what you've just done? Have you been spoiled at all on the Institute or its denizens?

when fully considering context, that's a... rash decision to make, lol
Nope!

This is my first playthrough and I couldn't help myself (there was a specific line said that happened as I pulled out the shotgun that made it even more fitting). I am kinda in this weird place where I just don't care for much of the story stuff because everything from companions to larger quests has felt stilted. I want to see what happens if I just try and break the game.

Nope!

This is my first playthrough and I couldn't help myself. I am kinda in this weird place where I just don't care for much of the story stuff because everything from companions to larger quests has felt stilted. I want to see what happens if I just try and break the game.

hahaha. I won't spoil anything but you'll be laughing your ass off when you realize.

I did the North Eastern part of Boston last night. That area sure is something widely different.

Ocean, sand dunes and a wide open space and also one of the most annoying enemy types near the lighthouse.. Gamma Ray equipped humanoids.

That area feels like a breath of fresh air.

So when you dump all your junk at a workbench, it gets automatically converted into resources that can only be used at that specific town, right?

Kind of annoying, I wish you could use stuff anywhere. I didn't realize that's how it worked at first and I dumped stuff at random workbenches. Now Sanctuary is my designated upgrade town. At least they work between workbenches so you don't have to separately manage resources for weapons, armor, building, etc.

UberLevi

Nope!

This is my first playthrough and I couldn't help myself (there was a specific line said that happened as I pulled out the shotgun that made it even more fitting). I am kinda in this weird place where I just don't care for much of the story stuff because everything from companions to larger quests has felt stilted. I want to see what happens if I just try and break the game.

That's funny as fuck when given the proper context.

Vex_

Banned
OK, what melee weapons CAN stro
ng
equip???? Holy shit I wasted so much money.

Are all companions like this??!!

I did the North Eastern part of Boston last night. That area sure is something widely different.

Ocean, sand dunes and a wide open space and also one of the most annoying enemy types near the lighthouse.. Gamma Ray equipped humanoids.

That area feels like a breath of fresh air.

I'm in loooooooove with the Glowing Sea myself. That place sure did reward my 20+ hours of stocking up on Power Armor and powerful heavy weapons/ammo.

I'm so enamored by the place that I spent half the night drawing up designs for an AWOP-like area expansion mod that I really want to achieve come hell or high water. The idea of entire towns buried by the bomb is just rife for literal exploration.

Haven't been to Northeast Boston yet. Been saving that for a rainy day, the museum of Witchcraft sounds like it'll end up my favorite location in the game.

Zocano

Another few points that amused me (again late game spoilers):

I entered the Institute through the Brotherhood and having Maxon tell me beforehand "DON'T SHOOT" is great (and also his following yelling at me afterwards).

I literally couldn't do anything inside because all the doors were locked and there wasn't a key or anything anywhere so I just had to go back the way I came and do the small terminal thing with the Brotherhood tape.

Literally nothing has been explained and I have learned absolutely nothing. Everything and everyone is still in the dark as far as I know. I want to see how much the game changes to suit my decision.

I'm in loooooooove with the Glowing Sea. That place sure did reward my 20+ hours of stocking up on Power Armor and powerful heavy weapons/ammo.

I'm so enamored by the place that I spent half the night drawing up designs for an AWOP-like area expansion mod that I really want to achieve come hell or high water. The idea of entire towns buried by the bomb is just rife for literal exploration.

so many people told me to go there with power armor, went with X01 and got wrecked because I'm stealth.

Went with hazmat suit and rekt everything.

johnsmith

remember me
So when you dump all your junk at a workbench, it gets automatically converted into resources that can only be used at that specific town, right?

Kind of annoying, I wish you could use stuff anywhere. I didn't realize that's how it worked at first and I dumped stuff at random workbenches. Now Sanctuary is my designated upgrade town. At least they work between workbenches so you don't have to separately manage resources for weapons, armor, building, etc.

Wait, what? Really? Goddamnit. I must have dropped hundreds of stuff at different towns.

I don't think this is true at all. I stopped manually scrapping my junk and I have no problems building anything I want in a brand new settlement as long as there's a supply chain set up.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't think this is true at all. I stopped manually scrapping my junk and I have problems building anything I want in a brand new settlement as long as there's a supply chain set up.

The supply chains link up the workbench storage. For someone like me with low charisma i'm SOL.

so many people told me to go there with power armor, went with X01 and got wrecked because I'm stealth.

Went with hazmat suit and rekt everything.

I gave Danse a fully modded Super Sledge which does increasing damage with successive hits. He basically killed every single living thing in the Glowing Sea before I even had a chance to offer my own input.

Well, not entirely. I spent an hour long session selling my entire hoard and accumulating like 20,000 caps before heading out to the Glowing Sea. What did I use the caps on? Like a hundred missiles and 2000 5mm ammo :)

Against a fully loaded Ashmaker and an Instigating Quad-Barrel Targeting Missile Launcher, there is NO opposition. btw, I had the best experience of my entire run using that missile launcher in the Glowing Sea. I found myself under siege by like 6 Radscorpions. I'm playing on Survival so they chew apart my Power Armor like tissue paper. They're charging me and I quickly raise my launcher and fire off 4 missiles, right? I missed all of them. However, like a second later, my launcher targeted the scorpion closest to me... and I watch and cheer loudly as my missles make a wide u-turn and smash the shit out of those vermin, right at my feet :)

The only place that gave me trouble there was the submerged
church
. I walked right on top of it without realizing there was
a hole in the roof
. Suddenly I find myself
two stories underground surrounded by like thirty ghouls including several legendaries (playing on Survival).
Had to reload that one a couple of times, lmao.

I don't think I have a main quest anymore.

Wait until you find out what else you don't have anymore.

Papercuts

Definitely worth grabbing unless you have absolutely no interest in settlements.

I'm at 74 hours or so and still don't really feel the drive to do much with them, so I'm not sure. I do want to get the perk but I'd have to spend 2 levels dumping into charisma and another level for the perk.

I gave Danse a fully modded Super Sledge which does increasing damage with successive hits. He basically killed every single living thing in the Glowing Sea before I even had a chance to offer my own input.

The only place that gave me trouble there was the submerged
church
. I walked right on top of it without realizing there was
a hole in the roof
. Suddenly I find myself
two stories underground surrounded by like thirty ghouls including several legendaries (playing on Survival).
Had to reload that one a couple of times, lmao.

Wait until you find out what else you don't have anymore.

I saw that area, looked through the cracks in the roof and saw what was inside and peaced outta that area.

I'm actually surprised you can quicktravel into/out of the glowing sea. I'm never really one to restrict using it but it feels wrong to use it there, I always embark through it.

Zaptruder

Banned
I don't think I have a main quest anymore.

Hahaha... because Father is the thread for the main quest. Duh :p

It's funny that the game lets you kill him like that instead of treating him like other story critical NPCs...

But it's not like you can really proceed with the game after getting story critical NPCs pissed at you either.

Hahaha... because Father is the thread for the main quest. Duh :p

It's funny that the game lets you kill him like that instead of treating him like other story critical NPCs...

But it's not like you can really proceed with the game after getting story critical NPCs pissed at you either.

Fallout 3 taught me that all is forgiven after a weeklong nap.

Seriously, though, that is super weird that in such a restrictive (relatively speaking) game, fucking Father of all people is like the one major NPC whose head you can just blow off at will.

UberLevi

Spoilers regarding the Institute and a certain NPC:

So when I started the game I made my character look like me. Afterwards I decided I didn't like that so I changed him. When I met Father I was so floored because he looked like an old version of me in real life and I had forgotten I originally based my character off myself.

Zocano

Fallout 3 taught me that all is forgiven after a weeklong nap.

Seriously, though, that is super weird that in such a restrictive (relatively speaking) game, fucking Father of all people is like the one major NPC whose head you can just blow off at will.

I'm gonna have to poke around some more but it looks like nothing else really transpires and the main quest is effectively just closed shut and locked up.

Papercuts

I'm gonna have to poke around some more but it looks like nothing else really transpires and the main quest is effectively just closed shut and locked up.

Does the game show failed quests? Not sure but there's only one thing I can think of that would keep going.

Steel

Banned
I play on Xbox.

You may or may not one day have access to that mod, at least.
Actually, only mods made with the G.E.C.K that don't require the Script Extender will be compatible. And since this one doesn't fall under the former category, it's out. Perhaps a future version of it made on the GECK?

Zocano

Does the game show failed quests? Not sure but there's only one thing I can think of that would keep going.

As far as I can tell (late quest name)
Institutionalized
"completed" when I left. Also the quest description tells me
who Father is and that I "have no choice but to leave the institute"
. This is pretty funny.

I'm pretty sure that all of the factions in the game give you contingency measures that allow for the continuation of the main quest in the event that you go scorched earth on the Institute. I mean, I'm just guessing, because I'm not quite there yet, but there's got to be a reason why everyone and their mother wants you to
grab shit off their terminals
, right?

Institutionalized
. This is pretty funny.

this is how I imagine your character reacting to what he's just done

Zocano

I'm pretty sure that all of the factions in the game give you contingency measures that allow for the continuation of the main quest in the event that you go scorched earth on the Institute. I mean, I'm just guessing, because I'm not quite there yet, but there's got to be a reason why everyone and their mother wants you to
grab shit off their terminals
, right?

Yah I am continuing the BOS quest stuff to see where it gets me.

Haunted

Why does every fucking mod on my armour or weapon completely rearrange its placement on the list. How is there no way to sort power armour by limb or model no, or easily save specific sets/setups. Goddamn that UI design is complete amateur hour for a game that was in development for so many years by a company with that much experience in the past.

Huge oversight, for real. PC mods will fix that so fast but consoles? :(

We can't even rename our settlers.
How hard could it have been to just make it a pool of a couple thousand random names.

I had to put all my shops and farms within eyeshot of each other, and a bell between them.

Ring the bell, bring everyone near, and when you look at a person in Workshop mode, it lights up what they are assigned to as well.

It's shitty, yeah.
Yeah, that's terrible.

For how much they keep forcing you into menu UI, that's a thing they chose to keep in the super clunky "outside workshop" UI?

bethesda what r u doin

Papercuts

Institutionalized
. This is pretty funny.

For me, I went through the Railroad and had another quest to do there. I went on a rampage and did the same thing as you(with a save beforehand, lol) and could seemingly still do stuff. Not sure if the BoS gave you something similar.

Edit: Ah, just saw the posts above.

Why does every fucking mod on my armour completely rearrange its placement on the list. How is there no way to sort power armour by limb or model no, goddamn that UI design is complete amateur hour for a game in development for so many years.

It's listed purely by name which the mods change. I'd just give an actual name to stuff you use to make it stand out, or add a - infront or something to keep it at the top.

For me, I went through the Railroad and had another quest to do there. I went on a rampage and did the same thing as you(with a save beforehand, lol) and could seemingly still do stuff. Not sure if the BoS gave you something similar.

Edit: Ah, just saw the posts above.

It's purely by name which mods change. I'd just give an actual name to stuff you use to make it stand out, or add a - infront or something to keep it at the top.

I add an asterisk to the front of every weapon and armor I intend to use. Helps immensely.

After that same amount of time, I'm ready to get on with the main quest! I'm 68 hours in and the
Brotherhood of Steel
just arrived in the Commonwealth.

I'm 105 hours in the game so far, and just visited the Prydwen for the first time. Can't get enough of the Game.

Haunted

It's purely by name which mods change. I'd just give an actual name to stuff you use to make it stand out, or add a - infront or something to keep it at the top.
I add an asterisk to the front of every weapon and armor I intend to use. Helps immensely.
Right. Can't do that for power armour though (which prompted me to write that post).

I did give custom names to my weapons and put a My in front to keep them sorted properly. Still, such an easily fixable design oversight for a game this long in development just has me shaking my head.

Papercuts

Right. Can't do that for power armour though (which prompted me to write that post).

I did give custom names to my weapons and put a My in front to keep them sorted properly. Still, such an easily fixable design oversight for a game this long in development just has me shaking my head.

Yeah, I agree. My misc page is a disaster, I'm surprised they didn't atleast seperate notes/holotapes and stuff like that.

Does using VATS in power armor consume more battery?

And is there a decent power armor guide out there? I'm thinking about doubling down on it and seeing where it takes me.

Found this Map this morning, hope it helps you finding Power Armors.

Searching and finding the lost tech from the past is one of my most time consuming habits I have in this Game. I dedicate almost my whole playtime to this, apart from doing some repeatable Quest for the BoS which hopefully sents me to new places where I hope to find more Power Armors.

My Collection so far:
nguop.jpg

In addition I have 4 Raiders Power Armors and loads of unfinished ones on the other side of my Power Armor Repair Bay.

How do you repair power armour? I have two pieces I am not allowed to put on the suit I have that is on the power armour rack as they need repaired. It days repair them on the rack. It's not getting me repair these pieces. Help!

How do you repair power armour? I have two pieces I am not allowed to put on the suit I have that is on the power armour rack as they need repaired. It days repair them on the rack. It's not getting me repair these pieces. Help!
Highlight the armor piece in your list at the crafting station. There should be a repair prompt which displays at the bottom of the screen

Steel

Banned

Press y(or triangle) when the piece is highlighted on the power armor station.

I had the same problem with some Raiders Armors I collected from their former owners. But as I tried it later on again, I could just fix it and put it in on the Armor.

Haunted

Also, dumb question: Is there an easier way to get to the repair and modify screens for the power armour my compansions are wearing?

The way it is now I have to go through several dialogue screens to tell them to get out, then exit my own power armour, walk over and get into theirs, walk it over to the power armour station, exit, and then I can work on it. Then repeat the whole spiel in reverse to get them back into it again. Sending them to "inspect the power armour station" while they're wearing power armour doesn't do anything. Not to mention that they get stuck half the time with the enter and exit animations. I've started messing up my aesthetics by building the power armour stations basically in the middle of the room so the dumb AI has an easier time getting into the things. :lol

The whole process does a fairly good job of discouraging me to use and upgrade and experiment with power armour for my companions at all. I'm hoping I'm just stupid and missing an obvious thing that would make this whole bit proceed a bit more painlessly.

Top Bottom