• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

It amazes me that there is still a place like this in the commonwealth. Everything is so clean and modern.
CEA177C375CB33A776B5AC3C6FC49380714B72FD
Vault 81
is another story though, it's futuristic.

psylah

I found a fucking explosive shotgun. It's the most powerful thing.

Killed an Alpha Deathclaw in about 6 shots.

I haven't even modded it yet.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I just made it there as well last night. Crazy how there are landmarks like a mile outside the zone border..I keep thinking, when is the game going to put up an invisible wall and they never do.

I've already put in an alarming amount of hours into this game and feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I still haven't done any settlement stuff and really only used the power armor twice and one of those times was when I found a random junky one wandering around. Every time I go 'ok im going to clear out x amount of side quests' I wind up playing inventory manager fallout edition for two hours.

BokehKing

Banned
You don't need to break them down, you can just store all your junk in the work table and then it automatically breaks them down as needed.

Resources will break down by themselves. Just store them in your workshop. Anything except weapons/armor.

If you don't like it, you don't need to continue with it. Completely optional.

All of those things are classified as 'junk'. You use junk as components for weapons, armor, and other items. All you need to do is walk over to the weapons/armor workbench hit transfer and "store all junk". You can break down weapons for components as well if you have the correct perk (can't think of the name right now). Anything that is upgradable can be broken down (sans legendary items).

Tab over to the 'junk' column to see the specific items and the materials they will yield.

Always helpful, thank you GAF

iddqd

Is the Glowing Sea worth exploring? All the scorpions are bumming me out (I'm a glass canon) and I'm not sure if I should just bail after having done the story stuff there.

psylah

I built up to the 5th floor, and it wouldn't let me build anything above waist height, but things installed at ground level were fine. So I built 4 full two-story shacks. I was gonna get my extra floor one way or another.

Also pictured: Piper being Ab-Fab

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Taking a lot of willpower not to keep hoarding every power armor frame I see.

omgkitty

I romanced
Piper
before I met
Curie and transferred her to her synth body
and now I feel bad.
Curie
is the obvious best companion. I know I can romance them both, but it still sucks.

dab0ne

Some of these structuresare are great. I think on my second play through I'm gonna only have sanctuary for a long while. Managing like 10 settlements it's becoming a complete pain in the ass.
I romanced
Piper
before I met
and now I feel bad.
Curie
is the obvious best companion. I know I can romance them both, but it still sucks.
Uh oh...I might have regrets since I gave
piper my wife's wedding ring lol.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
How do I collect the income from my settlements? I build a bunch of stores and made sure I have several settlers who aren't assigned to anything but I don't know where I can see how much money I've generated and where I can collect that.

Hasney

How do I collect the income from my settlements? I build a bunch of stores and made sure I have several settlers who aren't assigned to anything but I don't know where I can see how much money I've generated and where I can collect that.

Workshop and there will be bottlecaps there.

dab0ne

It's in the work bench under misc.

Relativ9

It amazes me that there is still a place like this in the commonwealth. Everything is so clean and modern.

Vault 81

Actually I find it amazing that there aren't more places like this, or at least close to it. Raider squalors and ruins are one thing, but places of business and actual homes still have piles of trash in corners and broken toilets. Did people forget how to clean up and do basic repairs while at the same time remembering how to work a terminal, farm, and practice the basics of economy?

Weebos

Banned
Got to the Castle and I have decided to move my main settlement there.

There isn't a lot of building allowed there though, at least not compared to Sanctuary.

omgkitty

Some of these structuresare are great. I think on my second play through I'm gonna only have sanctuary for a long while. Managing like 10 settlements it's becoming a complete pain in the ass.

Uh oh...I might have regrets since I gave
piper my wife's wedding ring lol.

Do you live naive French girls with pixie style haircuts?

Which quests are unlimited? I'm trying to avoid doing the same thing over and over, just want to focus on all the side quests and factions that can be completed.

R0ckman

Vault 81

What's the undergarment that guy is wearing on the right?

Hopefully a mod comes out so I can upgrade some of the regular armor. So tired of having to look like a scrap heap.

Which quests are unlimited? I'm trying to avoid doing the same thing over and over, just want to focus on all the side quests and factions that can be completed.

If a quest giver pretty much gives you the same quest each time just at a different location, it's pretty much randomly generated and unlimited. These quests also typically give little xp rewards when turned in compared to main quests.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
In
Vault 81
there is a locked elevator at the lobby. Anyone know where the terminal to open it is located?

MrDaravon

Anyone?

I've been mostly heads-down working on the game so I haven't really poked my head in here much, but I think I can see light at the end of the tunnel now. Two quick questions:

-Is there no way to see what a settler is already assigned to in a Settlement without having the settler selected and then hoping whatever they are assigned to is in your line of sight with them to see the green outline of whatever they're assigned to? This seems extraordinarily dumb so I'm assuming I'm missing something.

-Has anyone had problems with settlers you have assigned to shops becoming unassigned randomly? It's happened to me multiple times now, both with generic settlers as well as the named NPCs in Sanctuary. It's extremely annoying.

I'm at over 100 hours now and the settlement stuff is actively dragging the game down for me. I've stopped picking up all but 2 or 3 junk items for mats because I have already have crazy amounts of both stuff, but my settlements keep getting attacked which brings up a quest/waypoint, and even my most heavily fortified settlements like Sanctuary that have a stupid high defense rating still get attacked. Multiple times I have got notification a settlement was under attack, I go there and there's nothing happening at all, then I leave and it said I failed to protect the settlement and now everyone but the named NPCs at sanctuary are dead (down from 16). Since have really high defense doesn't seem to stop raider attacks that stops me from wanting to spend any time to actually build up my other settlements just to stop attacks from happening. And even if I wanted to do that I would have to deal with the game's incredibly clunky building and workshop system, as well as set up supply lines to all 15-20 settlements I have. And even ignoring all of that and the attacks I still have issues constantly with my shops being unasssigned even by named NPCs that cannot die, so I can't even just ignore everything else and just at the bare minimum use the settlement as a shop location.

It's incredibly infuriating. I'm glad it's there for people that want to mess around with it, but it's super clunky and actively intrusive to the game I want to play like I have all of their previous games. The 100% happiness trophy full-on stopped any drive I have to go for the Platinum. I would kill for a PS4 mod that just basically turns it off. If I was reviewing the game I would actually knock it points for this.

omgkitty

In
Vault 81
there is a locked elevator at the lobby. Anyone know where the terminal to open it is located?

You'll get a quest and end up on the other side of it at the end. You're talking about when you walk in and there's a security guard and it's on that back wall correct?

knitoe

I have found the abandon church in Glowing Sea is a great place kill two 2 legendary ghoul, look at what drops and reload if it's not what I am looking for. As a sniper, what weapon and effects should I be looking for? I assume the weapon would be a Gauss rifle, but effects, not sure.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
You'll get a quest and end up on the other side of it at the end. You're talking about when you walk in and there's a security guard and it's on that back wall correct?

Yeah thats the one. Is the quest from one of the people down there?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Was stuck in an elevator for a long time, thought I got the dreaded elevator bug. Then I realized the doors were open behind me.

I wonder how many people who thought they were stuck had the same problem, hah.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I've started the process of creating a settlement for just my followers. The plan is for each person to have an individual house, and my house being the biggest (shared with Cait, of course).

I am putting way too much thought into this.

For example, Nick's house won't have a toilet or food. Synths don't eat, right? But he'll have a bunch of cigs.

Hasney

Anyone?

I'm at over 100 hours now and the settlement stuff is actively dragging the game down for me. I've stopped picking up all but 2 or 3 junk items for mats because I have already have crazy amounts of both stuff, but my settlements keep getting attacked which brings up a quest/waypoint, and even my most heavily fortified settlements like Sanctuary that have a stupid high defense rating still get attacked. Multiple times I have got notification a settlement was under attack, I go there and there's nothing happening at all, then I leave and it said I failed to protect the settlement and now everyone but the named NPCs at sanctuary are dead (down from 16). Since have really high defense doesn't seem to stop raider attacks that stops me from wanting to spend any time to actually build up my other settlements just to stop attacks from happening. And even if I wanted to do that I would have to deal with the game's incredibly clunky building and workshop system, as well as set up supply lines to all 15-20 settlements I have. And even ignoring all of that and the attacks I still have issues constantly with my shops being unasssigned even by named NPCs that cannot die, so I can't even just ignore everything else and just at the bare minimum use the settlement as a shop location.

It's incredibly infuriating. I'm glad it's there for people that want to mess around with it, but it's super clunky and actively intrusive to the game I want to play like I have all of their previous games. The 100% happiness trophy full-on stopped any drive I have to go for the Platinum. I would kill for a PS4 mod that just basically turns it off. If I was reviewing the game I would actually knock it points for this.

You can't see what someone does. Only time someone has been unassigned from a shop, it turned out to be broken and I had to repair it.

Best thing with the settlement system for me is to kill everyone and molotov everything.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
This is why I'm not bothering with the Minuteman Quests in my new save file at the moment because all I get for it is a bunch of Settlements I care not for at the moment and a bunch of whining to help them from raids.

What I'm doing this time is working on my Home Settlement to my liking than after I'm done with that I'm going to unlock 1 Settlement at the time and work on each one of them as I go one at the time

Pilgrimzero

Well first it's a fetch quest which alone takes some time to do, then it's 5 or 6 kill quests and then he gets taken and again i have to travel to kill some more. I don't mind long quests, but when it's just a string of low effort killing and fetching, it gets boring.

Is it at least more interesting ? Or is it just the same low effort trash.

It's literally going to like 10 different spots spread all over the frickin' map.

Luckily I've discovered a good chunk of the map so fast traveling really helped.

I've started the process of creating a settlement for just my followers. The plan is for each person to have an individual house, and my house being the biggest (shared with Cait, of course).

I am putting way too much thought into this.

For example, Nick's house won't have a toilet or food. Synths don't eat, right? But he'll have a bunch of cigs.

Not really I have been thinking the same. Focusing on Sanctuary and Spectacle Island. Thinking of Where is best for my companions, a lovely sunset over boston sitting with Piper....

Also Cait... I did the Combat Zone but she never travelled afterwards, but I can't find her. She isn't in any of my settlements. Where can she be?

It was like when I lost Piper, I was in bits running all over the place to do a mission in Diamond City only to find out that she was outside the mayors office as part of the quest!

Hubble

Do the sidequests you receive by the Brotherhood at the Cambridge Police Station repeat just like Preston's? I talked to Rhys and he had me exterminate Ghoul's and now wants me to talk to Danse. I already have another mission to retrieve a capacitor, so I am wondering. Are these missions just going to repeat? Thanks

Pilgrimzero

I romanced
Piper
before I met
and now I feel bad.
Curie

I cannot be with
Cait, though she is my first love
, as she will eventually frown on
my massive drug use.

N° 2048

Pretty much. I over think everything. but I like it.

Red Rocket = Me and my lovers (whoever that will be) base.
Graygarden = Adhesive farm
Starlight Drive in = the big settlement with all the shops, 14+ settlers so far.

Anyone?

Yeah the system is a mixed bag. By itself, each settlement is a fun and amazing building sim. The moment it connects with the rest of the game, it has some huge issues.

I posted this last night but to unlock that trophy:

I did:

• 108 security
  • 24 food
  • 24 water
  • 4 people on crops
  • Everyone else on tier 3 clinics (20 in total)
  • My Charisma was 10 + 1 for glasses + 1 for hat + 3 for Reginald's Suit

Something guides don't tell you: As long as you see the green arrow going "up" it will get to a higher rating. It takes some time. My advice is to build the shop, let the green "up" tick up to its max happiness rating (be it one or two points) and when you don't see the green arrow anymore, build the next shop. Repeat.

Top Bottom