• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Kind want to move my stuff to castle...what would be the best way?

Unless you have level four of the Strong Back perk, the only other way to move long distances while overencumbered with a bunch of shit is to call a vertibird with that one grenade you can get from the BoS.

R0ckman

Anyone?

I'm at over 100 hours now and the settlement stuff is actively dragging the game down for me. I've stopped picking up all but 2 or 3 junk items for mats because I have already have crazy amounts of both stuff, but my settlements keep getting attacked which brings up a quest/waypoint, and even my most heavily fortified settlements like Sanctuary that have a stupid high defense rating still get attacked. Multiple times I have got notification a settlement was under attack, I go there and there's nothing happening at all, then I leave and it said I failed to protect the settlement and now everyone but the named NPCs at sanctuary are dead (down from 16). Since have really high defense doesn't seem to stop raider attacks that stops me from wanting to spend any time to actually build up my other settlements just to stop attacks from happening. And even if I wanted to do that I would have to deal with the game's incredibly clunky building and workshop system, as well as set up supply lines to all 15-20 settlements I have. And even ignoring all of that and the attacks I still have issues constantly with my shops being unasssigned even by named NPCs that cannot die, so I can't even just ignore everything else and just at the bare minimum use the settlement as a shop location.

It's incredibly infuriating. I'm glad it's there for people that want to mess around with it, but it's super clunky and actively intrusive to the game I want to play like I have all of their previous games. The 100% happiness trophy full-on stopped any drive I have to go for the Platinum. I would kill for a PS4 mod that just basically turns it off. If I was reviewing the game I would actually knock it points for this.

I've had problems with settlers defaulting when I've assigned them to shops I believe. I've also had settlers switch clothes on me.

Speaking of all this, are the any places safest from attacks? Some of my settlers I want to move to the safest areas possible. Had some walls set up at one place but a deathclaw tried to cheat and power his way through my defenses, because there was no room for him to really squeeze through the turrets and guard post he took major damage from the settlers before he finally pushed through to get to me, beat me up a bit and since I was not at full health when I arrived, my legendary gear kicked in, slowed down time and I finished him off that way. I'd rather not have to cut it that close at my settlements.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Why hold back? The developers placed it there for a reason. I have a dedicated room with all my power armor lined up. I feel like freaking Tony Stark.

Why not just collect them all? I'm up to 25 (can't fit them into a single pic anymore).

I need to clean out my weapons chest. Merely looking at the contents causes a 1-2 second pause.

Mostly because it's just more busywork. And because they're practically an infinite resource. There's nothing inherently special about them aside from the fact that you can use them as OCD decoration and I'm trying not to feed that urge. I already have like 7 or 8 of them which is more than I need for a humble garage display, so the few extra are just sitting haphazardly around.

My weapon and armor stashes are getting out of hand too. I don't know why I do this in these types of games and hoard things for the sake of hoarding. I'm not going to use 99% of those weapons sitting in my workbench but throwing them away or selling them seems so wrong.

Sarcasm

What kind of stuff are you talking? Weapons/Armor?

Unless you have level four of the Strong Back perk, the only other way to move long distances while overencumbered with a bunch of shit is to call a vertibird with that one grenade you can get from the BoS.

For mats just set up a supply line. Use Power Armor to increase weight and fast travel for non-mat items.

Everything! I have nothing yea guys mentioned. Though I do have power armour I never use =S

I find it so hard to use it.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Everything! I have nothing yea guys mentioned. Though I do have power armour I never use =S

You should try em out. My favorite way to use power armors is to go on Power Armor missions with my companion. We'll both go in Power Armors with heavy weapons. In Cait's case, I give her Raider Power Amor + a huge melee weapon. She one hands the melee weapon and absolutely destroys things. It's fun and looks awesome.

Roni

Gold Member
Taking a lot of willpower not to keep hoarding every power armor frame I see.

Do it, you know you want to have a different set for every occassion and need you might ever have. All of them in different stylish paint jobs with a varying selection of mods to meet your everyday wasteland needs!

omgkitty

Is there a trick to getting the pickpocket a grenade trophy? I've done it to a bunch of people, and it never blows up. I don't have any of my points in sneaking or agility, so could that be why?

ckohler

Here's what I did.

First, I scrapped almost everything at each of the other settlements. I tried to have as few (or no) settlers at each of the other settlements. This way I don't get pestered about them getting raided. For those like Sancutary, I made sure they had the minimum amount of food/water/defense required.

If I had stored any items in the Workbenches (guns,armor,furniture) I manually scrapped those also otherwise I would have had to carry them manually. This left nothing but Junk in each workbench. While not required, it's best to break down guns/armor/etc. AFTER you have the Scrounger perk so you get more rare Junk from them.

Next, I stored all of my inventory in a container at The Castle except for the Power Armor so I had as much carry weight as possible.

Then, I fast traveled to each settlment and emptied the contents of the Workbenches into my inventory until I was almost full and fast-traveled back to The Castle to drop off the Junk in the Workbench there. Rise and repeat until all of the settlements were empty and their stuff in The Castle's workbench.

It probably took me about an hour to do this but it was worth it and I didn't have to bother with supply lines or anything.

Is there a trick to getting the pickpocket a grenade trophy? I've done it to a bunch of people, and it never blows up. I don't have any of my points in sneaking or agility, so could that be why?

I'm pretty sure you can only do it with a few points in the pickpocketing perk.

ant_

Here's what I did.

First, I scrapped everything at each of the other settlements. If I had stored any items in the Workbenches (guns,armor,furniture) I manually scrapped those also otherwise I would have had to carry them manually. This left nothing but Junk in each workbench. While not required, it's best to break down guns/armor/etc. AFTER you have the Scrounger perk so you get more rare Junk from them.

Next, I stored all of my inventory in a container at The Castle except for the Power Armor so I had as much carry weight as possible.

Then, I fast traveled to each settlment and emptied the contents of the Workbenches into my inventory until I was almost full and fast-traveled back to The Castle to drop off the Junk in the Workbench there. Rise and repeat until all of the settlements were empty and their stuff in The Castle's workbench.

It probably took me about an hour to do this but it was worth it and I didn't have to bother with supply lines or anything. Furthermore, while I was doing this I was breaking down beds so as to have as few (or none) settlers at each of the other settlments so i don't get pestered about them getting raided. A couple like Sancutary I had to leave three people at but I made sure they had the minimum amount of food/water/defense required.

Bother with supply lines? You can just have 1 settler start a supply route, which takes about 1 minute. As opposed to 1 hour of lugging junk back and forth. Same end result.

It gives me a percentage I'll be successful, and I've been caught, but even doing it successfully, no one ever blows up.

You can plant grenades (or anything else you want) on people without the perk, but you can't plant a LIVE grenade without the perk. You're basically just giving them a grenade to use in combat. I was pretty disappointed when the same thing happened to me.

ckohler

Bother with supply lines? You can just have 1 settler start a supply route, which takes about 1 minute. As opposed to 1 hour of lugging junk back and forth. Same end result.

A lot of my settlements didn't have any settlers to assign. Also, I don't think items get shared across supply lines, only Junk that's already been broken down. Lastly, I don't like the idea that the supply lines can break and my stuff not be available.

Yes, supply lines are much easier but I just like the idea of those containers/settlments being empty. Lastly, like Sarcasm, I don't have the Local Leader perk yet.

void666

Banned
Taking a lot of willpower not to keep hoarding every power armor frame I see.

What is wrong with that? I have 7 power armors on top of red rocket forming a circle. And i have 3 armors on 3 guard posts.
Besides that have 2 main power armors. A T60 and a X01 well maintained and shiny.

Mostly because it's just more busywork. And because they're practically an infinite resource. There's nothing inherently special about them aside from the fact that you can use them as OCD decoration and I'm trying not to feed that urge. I already have like 7 or 8 of them which is more than I need for a humble garage display, so the few extra are just sitting haphazardly around.

My weapon and armor stashes are getting out of hand too. I don't know why I do this in these types of games and hoard things for the sake of hoarding. I'm not going to use 99% of those weapons sitting in my workbench but throwing them away or selling them seems so wrong.

What you gotta do is give every settler and companion a suit.

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
I have played this game more then 75hrs and now I'm stuck after the mission "Taking Independence" Preston keeps telling me to fix the radio transmitter which I did. Fast travel, finished others missions, comeback and he still standing there and tell me to fix the damn radio transmitter. Is this a known bug. I'm on PS4.

I have played this game more then 75hrs and now I'm stuck after the mission "Taking Independence" Preston keeps telling me to fix the radio transmitter which I did. Fast travel, finished others missions, comeback and he still standing there and tell me to fix the damn radio transmitter. Is this a known bug. I'm on PS4.
Did you build a generator with enough power for it? I think it needs 5 power.

It gives me a percentage I'll be successful, and I've been caught, but even doing it successfully, no one ever blows up.

You need pickpocket level 2 perk. You can only see what the next level of a perk does if you have a free point to spend (the exception being you can see what lvl 1 of a perk will do if you haven't taken it yet regardless if you have a free point or not).

ckohler

Is there a Minuteman/Settler sitting there broadcasting the Radio signal? Did you listen to the broadcast?

Sarcasm

Here's what I did.

First, I scrapped almost everything at each of the other settlements. I tried to have as few (or no) settlers at each of the other settlements. This way I don't get pestered about them getting raided. For those like Sancutary, I made sure they had the minimum amount of food/water/defense required.

If I had stored any items in the Workbenches (guns,armor,furniture) I manually scrapped those also otherwise I would have had to carry them manually. This left nothing but Junk in each workbench. While not required, it's best to break down guns/armor/etc. AFTER you have the Scrounger perk so you get more rare Junk from them.

It probably took me about an hour to do this but it was worth it and I didn't have to bother with supply lines or anything.

Do I have to plant food and defend castle? Cause if so I may just work on Castle and Sanctuary...kinda built that up already.

I do have 5 perks I haven't spent yet. 3 to get the supply line...

You need pickpocket level 2 perk. You can only see what the next level of a perk does if you have a free point to spend (the exception being you can see what lvl 1 of a perk will do if you haven't taken it yet regardless if you have a free point or not).

On PC you can hit Alt to scroll up through the levels even if you don't have that perk or any points to spend.

joecanada

I built up to the 5th floor, and it wouldn't let me build anything above waist height, but things installed at ground level were fine. So I built 4 full two-story shacks. I was gonna get my extra floor one way or another.

Also pictured: Piper being Ab-Fab

How did you get her to wear stuff? My companion never equips stuff

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
Is there a Minuteman/Settler sitting there broadcasting the Radio signal? Did you listen to the broadcast?

Preston and the minute man just stand on the entrance and i could only talk to Preston and he just keeps repeating to fix the radio transmitter.

ant_

A lot of my settlements didn't have any settlers to assign. Also, I don't think items get shared across supply lines, only Junk that's already been broken down. Lastly, I don't like the idea that the supply lines can break and my stuff not be available.

Yes, supply lines are much easier but I just like the idea of those containers/settlments being empty. Lastly, like Sarcasm, I don't have the Local Leader perk yet.

Fair enough, forgot that it requires a perk. Everyone has their own way of doing things. I'm in the process of moving all my weapons/armor into containers and breaking them down into categories. Haha.

I wish consoles had that option or... and this is entirely possible, there is a way to do the same thing on console and I just haven't figured it out.

There is. I'm on PC and use the controller - just use the bumpers to scroll (if I remember right)

How did you get her to wear stuff? My companion never equips stuff

I don't know what version you are one, but for PS4 move the equipment into their inventory, highlight over it and hit triangle.

If you are giving them ranged weapons, they need ammo or will go back to their default weapon.

Man, waiting is so weird in this game. Sometimes it just refuses to progess any further, maybe due to a bug with the lighting engine, and you're jsut stuck watching the screen.

I dunno, it's really weird.

omgkitty

You can hit R1 to cycle through each level of the perk. Just didn't think it was an actual perk I needed.

ckohler

Do I have to plant food and defend castle? Cause if so I may just work on Castle and Sanctuary...kinda built that up already.

I do have 5 perks I haven't spent yet. 3 to get the supply line...

Yes, The Castle can get attacked and needs food like any other settlement. It already has a water pump so you just need to power that on.

Timeaisis

OK, so I don't understand this game some time. I have such a good time and then I hit a stupid wall.

I was doing a bunch of quest for the minutemen. It was going great. Got to one called "Out of the Fire", and I had to kill some dudes called the
Forgers
. Cool. I go invade their base, things going well. Me and my explosive sniper rifle are owning everything and Strong is cleaning up everything else. I finally reach the last room where I'm supposed to fight the bossman.

And he's impossible. Power armor, laser rifle. Does about 4x as much damage as I do to him. The room is a giant square with little to no cover and I just have to strafe around and use all my stimpaks? Why? Why is this a thing? Am I just underleveld? Am I just forced to use power armor here? This is dumb.

Fair enough, forgot that it requires a perk. Everyone has their own way of doing things. I'm in the process of moving all my weapons/armor into containers and breaking them down into categories. Haha.

There is. I'm on PC and use the controller - just use the bumpers to scroll (if I remember right)

Nice! That's going to make rerolling a lot more interesting now.

themoreyouknow.jpg

With the exception of Benevolent Leader, how hard is it to get all the trophies? Do I need to do multiple playthroughs to finish with all the factions?

ant_

OK, so I don't understand this game some time. I have such a good time and then I hit a stupid wall.

I was doing a bunch of quest for the minutemen. It was going great. Got to one called "Out of the Fire", and I had to kill some dudes called the
Forgers
. Cool. I go invade their base, things going well. Me and my explosive sniper rifle are owning everything and Strong is cleaning up everything else. I finally reach the last room where I'm supposed to fight the bossman.

And he's impossible. Power armor, laser rifle. Does about 4x as much damage as I do to him. The room is a giant square with little to no cover and I just have to strafe around and use all my stimpaks? Why? Why is this a thing? Am I just underleveld? Am I just forced to use power armor here? This is dumb.

Have you tried the miracle drug called Buffjet?

Seriously, try using some drugs.

Power Armor isn't a bad idea either. It's useful in a pinch.

Forgers

Hmmm... when I did that mission he was rough. I resorted to Power Armor and damage modded shot gun using my crit on him in VATS. Only took two shots after that.

Until you get to the point of the Gauss Rifle, Combat shot guns modded to the 9's are amazing.

El Topo

Forgers

My strategy:
There's a bit of time between the end of dialogue and their attack. Rush in, drop some mines, then hide in the corner of the room, the one where you can also take a Fusion Core. Should be enough time to drop a few mines and to take out most of them.

ckohler

Forgers

I beat him without power armor. You might just be poorly equiped/under leveled. I remember it being a bit of a hard battle but I probably only died once. Try using a rocket launcher/fat man or something if you aren't doing any damage.

I wish there was a bow and arrow in this game. That'd be a lot of fun.

There is a Rail Gun with Railroad spikes :) Does that count?

With the exception of Benevolent Leader, how hard is it to get all the trophies? Do I need to do multiple playthroughs to finish with all the factions?

This is the most spoiler free way I can say this. When the game messages you that a certain action will make you a permanent enemy with a group because of a quest, save your file (don't quick save). Use that save file you as a decision mark for one of the conclusions.

Nameless

Forgers

Can't help you terms of strategy. My character is melee based and was able to take 80% of his energy with a single blitz crit. Maybe get your hands on a Fat Man?

Top Bottom