• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

So I recently picked up this game, and started doing the first quest with the minutemen, and I'm just getting destroyed by Raiders. I'm only playing on normal, but this seems super hard for normal.

What am I doing wrong?

kendrid

Banned
So I recently picked up this game, and started doing the first quest with the minutemen, and I'm just getting destroyed by Raiders. I'm only playing on normal, but this seems super hard for normal.

What am I doing wrong?

I am level 19 and I just started doing minutemen quests and they are super easy. I'd say go find other quests to do for a while.

kendrid

Banned
Hmm, alright then. I just assumed that was the path to start on since the guy from Concord sent me on it

Bethesda probably assumed you would get distracted by the 50 other quests before you actually got there.

Tonight I ran into three quests where I had already cleared out the building before getting the actual quest. I was happy that the game recognized that and the NPC still gave me credits for completing it.

bobawesome

Made a second character and I noticed an interesting bug. Soon after I left the vault, my starting pistol had 999 ammo. I checked and I didn't have any ammo actually on my person. Is this some known exploit? If so, I'd like to know so I can avoid it in the future.

Hmm, alright then. I just assumed that was the path to start on since the guy from Concord sent me on it

It should be perfectly doable at the beginning of the game, actually.
Whoops, misread. I thought you were talking about the mission in Concord. Yeah, that mission can be a little tough. I did it a few hours ago with my second character while I waited much later for my first. Be sure to bring some healing items.

you gotta be fucking kidding me

My guy automatically informs a faction about a separate mission before I can finish another one, all because I didn't turn in the previous quest prior to talking with them and this takes precedence or something.

This is fucking stupid. Now I'm stuck with an unfinished quest and whenever I try to talk to the NPC to finish it she just tells me to get ready for the other quest, which I'm pretty sure is the quest that makes either faction hositle or something.

Can someone confirm? It's the faction mission
Spoils of War/Mass Fusion for BoS or Institution

Chitown B

People that dont do every line in that quest in character are bad people.

True story

truth.jpg

torontoml

Second question of the night, I thought I read that if i transferred, my extra weapons and leather armor to my workshop that they would automatically be broken down when needed for crafting. That doesn't seem to happen, so do I need to take all that stuff, drop it on the ground then scrap it?

the only save point I have before starting the quest and having to inform the NPC is way the fuck behind and I had grabbed another armor piece by then.

GOD DAMMIT FUCK. Broken ass game. Guess I'll have to reload to see if it's before I talked to the quest starter so I can finish this other mission.

Chitown B

For last part of silver shroud.
have a critical ready to use and have a sniper. Scare the henchmen by talking as the shroud the whole time and immediately go into vats and headshot crit as soon as the conversation is over. You have to be pretty quick but it worked for me. Took a few tries.

for me every time
they ran he instantly shot him. So I said shoot me first and then popped a Psychojet and headshot him.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Is there a non-spoiler list of mission names that indicate where you are hitting a point of no return with each particular faction? It doesn't seem like quest lines are going to be as set as divergent as New Vegas was, but I am getting to a point where NPCs are asking for verbal confirmation of allegiance. I managed to pull of a hilarious instance where synths in a subway on a side mission would not even attack me while another NPC mowed them down with a minigun, but I am wondering how far I can push that. I usually like to create a hard save as far in as possible before specifically aligning myself.

The best I can guess based on where I am:

"The Battle of Bunker Hill" sounds significant enough that going through with it would align me with The Institute.
The Railroad wants me to align with them instead of the minutemen.
I have barely done anything with Brotherhood of Steel, but Paladin Danse already wants loyalty
The infinite settlement side quests are getting tedious enough that I might leave working with the Minutemen to an off shoot play through of the later segments of the game. How many times can one moron from Tenpine Bluffs get himself kidnapped?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Nuclear Option
is the final choice quest, not
Mass Fusion
IIRC

Hazmat

Second question of the night, I thought I read that if i transferred, my extra weapons and leather armor to my workshop that they would automatically be broken down when needed for crafting. That doesn't seem to happen, so do I need to take all that stuff, drop it on the ground then scrap it?

I don't think that scraps them, but there's no need to drop them on the ground. You can scrap weapons from the upgrade menu at a weapon workbench.

Steel

Banned
What's the best way to remove rads without using Radaway (since it's pretty rare)?

Never been low on radaway personally. I have about 50.

That being said, if you cook mutant hound meat into chops you can use it to get rid of radiation as well as greatly heal you.

Mooreberg

Nuclear Option
is the final choice quest, not
Mass Fusion
IIRC
Thanks!
I sat on a bench listening to episodes for 30 minutes and never got a second quest :(
Whoever he mentions as being a bad criminal on the radio is who your next target is. It branches out and gets more complex after that initial phase. I thought the whole thing was pretty hilarious, especially with the radio show callers.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Are those main quest or faction quests?

Main. Having said that, there are other points that also make you hostile with other factions, sometimes with no warning. Theres a Brotherhood quest, I forget the name, but its after the
Liberty Prime
stuff. When you have the quest and go talk to Kell, it imediatly puts all your Railroad quests in a fail state, without warning. Just having the quest is fine, talking or even going near Kell with it is not. Thankfully I save like every 5 minutes so I was fine.

Edit: Tactical Thinking is the name. Not even going to spoiler that because it spoils nothing and people should be aware

Mooreberg

Main. Having said that, there are other points that also make you hostile with other factions, sometimes with no warning. Theres a Brotherhood quest, I forget the name, but its after the
Liberty Prime
stuff. When you have the quest and go talk to Kell, it imediatly puts all your Railroad quests in a fail state, without warning. Just having the quest is fine, talking or even going near Kell with it is not. Thankfully I save like every 5 minutes so I was fine.

Edit: Tactical Thinking is the name. Not even going to spoiler that because it spoils nothing and people should be aware
Thanks again. i will make hard saves when I notice these.

Liberty Prime

Thanks, I just stopped at the
liberty prime
mission. I guess its time to do as much as I can elsewhere.

So I guess I'm safe to go ahead and do the
battle at bunker hill
mission without being locked out of faction missions? I just have the option to inform the other factions at this point and im afraid to go farther..

BadHand

For last part of silver shroud.
have a critical ready to use and have a sniper. Scare the henchmen by talking as the shroud the whole time and immediately go into vats and headshot crit as soon as the conversation is over. You have to be pretty quick but it worked for me. Took a few tries.
I just did this by
popping some orange mentats for CHR and telling Sinjin to kill me first. They ignore Kent and go after you instead.

Ok yeah. I've officially reached the point in the factions where I have to make tough decisions.

If I continue Institute I'm locked out of any BoS mission I still have left [2 of them]

If I continue with BoS I betray the institute and supposedty the main Railroad quest would be locked since all they want me to do is to 'continue working for father'.

So if I do BoS side I should theoretically be automatically locked out of the 2 other factions, and if I do Institute I'll at the least be locked out of BoS. So seems like doing BoS first is the way to go. Would've been nice if all three were neatly at the same time instead of locking you out of two factions straight up in one side

Rhaknar

Thanks, I just stopped at the
liberty prime
mission. I guess its time to do as much as I can elsewhere.

So I guess I'm safe to go ahead and do the
battle at bunker hill
mission without being locked out of faction missions? I just have the option to inform the other factions at this point and im afraid to go farther..

Yes and you can do the
liberty prime
mission also. Just make sure when you have tactical thinking to not go near Kell or you auto talk to him

120v

i got away with playing all sides with bunker hill. all i did was
kill the courser. i expected the synths to turn on me, but they didn't. even the courser didn't fight back when i was blasting his head off

Finished all the achievements at exactly 99 hours. I enjoyed my time with Fallout 4 immensely, but I can't help but feel it's missing something that 3 and New Vegas had, and I sorely miss whatever that is.

When some hardcore mode and power armor overhaul mods come out, I'll be back, but until then, I'll take a long break... by starting up 3 and New Vegas for another spin.

Rhaknar

i got away with playing all sides with bunker hill. all i did was
kill the courser. i expected the synths to turn on me, but they didn't. even the courser didn't fight back when i was blasting his head off

Thats what I did aswell. And it was a huge clusterfuck and I loved it.

I imagine console peeps didnt tho if they
warned both factions
>_>

Not console shaming, just a fact of those versions unfortunately. If im wrong I apologize

johnsmith

remember me
So you build a giant mansion on the edge of a seaside cliff. But cut off the settlement area at the cliff edge and don't let you build water purifiers. Apparently it's a terrible place to build though because the settlers all fall off the cliff (this was probably the reason the settlement area was made smaller but it didn't help)

Rhaknar

Also, for all of you that decide to not go with the Brotherhood, I just want to inform you that when you (ending spoilers)
kill them all and Maxson drops his legendary gatling gun for you
, I will not like you anymore.

;_;

Also, for all of you that decide to not go with the Brotherhood, I just want to inform you that when you (ending spoilers)

;_;
The game has done a wonderful job making the decision hard but fuck the Brotherhood. Nobody shows me any respect.

Jesus Fucking Christ I GENUINELY jumped out of my seat.

I went to a location in the map. There were 2 friendly Mr Handy's in there. I was like 'cool' so I slept on the bed. The next morning I wake up and the Mr Handy's start calling me Eugene and tell me there's a surprise from my brother in the next room.

I go there and they start going "HAPPY BIRTHDAY EUGENE!" over and over again. It was eerie as fuck. Then
they turn hostile.

Fuck me that woke me up haha

Bsigg12

;_;

They are relentless on Very Hard.
Legendary after legendary, but through the power of my jetpack equipped Power Armor and a charged gattling laser, the Brotherhood stood no chance.

Rhaknar

They are relentless on Very Hard.
Legendary after legendary, but through the power of my jetpack equipped Power Armor and a charged gattling laser, the Brotherhood stood no chance.

I loved that until I found out,
like I said, he could drop his gun. And he didnt. Its tgenonly type I dont have a legendary of.
;_;

I did get
Kell's
hat tho which I use and makes me look like a nazi >_>

So you build a giant mansion on the edge of a seaside cliff. But cut off the settlement area at the cliff edge and don't let you build water purifiers. Apparently it's a terrible place to build though because the settlers all fall off the cliff (this was probably the reason the settlement area was made smaller but it didn't help)

Are you talking about the ghoul manor, whatever its called? Didnt like that place, im not big on pre-made houses on my build sites. Its why I didnt build on Sanctuary or Co-op (although that big barn in Co-op would make a lovely power armor warehouse / repair shop)

Machina

Banned
Jesus Fucking Christ I GENUINELY jumped out of my seat.

I went to a location in the map. There were 2 friendly Mr Handy's in there. I was like 'cool' so I slept on the bed. The next morning I wake up and the Mr Handy's start calling me Eugene and tell me there's a surprise from my brother in the next room.

I go there and they start going "HAPPY BIRTHDAY EUGENE!" over and over again. It was eerie as fuck. Then
they turn hostile.

Fuck me that woke me up haha

See, it's small little additions like this that make Bethesda games amazing. They went to the effort of including an easter egg like this that 70% of players will probably never find

Machina

Banned
I laughed so hard in the Silver Shroud quest line. Saying things in character was brilliant. Hancock ate it up.

Is there any way you can drop a hint to me how to start this quest without spoiling? I guess it has something to do with the Shroud radio broadcast in or near downtown?

Steel

Banned
Is there any way you can drop a hint to me how to start this quest without spoiling? I guess it has something to do with the Shroud radio broadcast in or near downtown?

Go to Goodneighbor. The radio program itself will tell you exactly where to go.

skyhaven

Neo Member
I believe the quest is triggered when you play the radio. The radio will then have a special broadcast calling Silver Shroud fans to head to its broadcasting station.

There's nothing else to it. If the game doesn't instruct you to listen to silver shroud radio, it could mean your level is too low to start it.

I was thinking of a way to knock out two of those complaints at once:

Build a Guard Post inside that house the guys hammer on, assign Marcy Long to the Guard Post (they almost never leave their posts), then build a wall around the whole house.

Build a stack of the floors with stairs connecting them as high up as possible. At the end of the stairs build a three sided room with a guard post. Assign Marcy to it. When she goes in, remove the stairs and seal up with a wooden floor. Then store or demolish the stairs leading to the room.

GRTLIhvNNQ11K.gif

Machina

Banned
Build a stack of the floors with stairs connecting them as high up as possible. At the end of the stairs build a three sided room with a guard post. Assign Marcy to it. When she goes in, remove the stairs and seal up with a wooden floor. Then store or demolish the stairs leading to the room.

GRTLIhvNNQ11K.gif

Marcy was the reason I ever first tested trying to delete humans like you can the junk and trash laying around in the area in Workshop.

Sadly, much like real life, it didn't work :(

johnsmith

remember me
Are you talking about the ghoul manor, whatever its called? Didnt like that place, im not big on pre-made houses on my build sites. Its why I didnt build on Sanctuary or Co-op (although that big barn in Co-op would make a lovely power armor warehouse / repair shop)
Yeah.
As for prebuilt placesI don't mind them, and different ones are good for different things. Hangman Alley and Jamaica Plains are fun to build in to see what you can do with such a small place. I managed to completely finish the 2nd story of the wrecked building in Jamaica Plains and made it fit to the existing foundations almost perfectly, and even managed to build a 3rd floor. Andin Hangman Alley I build elevated lofts, and left the ground level mostly open. Both are self sustaining for 20+ settlers. And the castle is good because it's just a great layout where you don't need to build a thing.

Recall

Finished all the achievements at exactly 99 hours. I enjoyed my time with Fallout 4 immensely, but I can't help but feel it's missing something that 3 and New Vegas had, and I sorely miss whatever that is.

When some hardcore mode and power armor overhaul mods come out, I'll be back, but until then, I'll take a long break... by starting up 3 and New Vegas for another spin.

It is missing something. It hasn't gripped me at all like 3 and New Vegas did, 4 is by no means a bad game it's just one that has personally disappointed me.

I've just started my 7th play through of New Vegas and I vastly prefer it.

skyhaven

Neo Member
It's missing a stronger faction in its lore. I'd elaborate more, but it'd be too much spoilers. Suffice to say there is not enough depth to the world except 'it looks cool'.

The ideas behind the 'villains' is decent, yet the hook to keep player pursuing the main quest is as weak as Fallout 3's 'Find Father'

It's ironic that they didn't change their mind towards attaching a 'personal quest' to a 15 minute family. I had to force myself to care to finish the main quest and that's pretty silly considering what is actually at stake if you put yourself in the protagonist's shoes.

Top Bottom