• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Man I totally fucking think I am bugged, I keep crashing while trying to do the second Railroad quest and going to pick up the
dead drop and listening to the holotape.

danowat

Banned
Silver Shroud is the best quest. Only part I disliked was
the very end where you have to try and save Kent and kill Sinjin. I could easily convince the other raiders that I was really Silver Shroud so they all left, but then Sinjin would keep shooting Kent in the back when I tried to take him out. Took me quite a few tries before I figured out I could stagger him with my gatling laser so he couldn't use his weapon. Also helped to pop some chems.

Is there any reason to worry about Kent dying?

Sarcasm

I am lvl 19 with 8 unspent perk points.

I want to move my base to castle but keep the water farm at sanctuary...do you think it be good idea to spend 3 points to get supply lines? I think its CHAR 6 required which would be 2 points..than one in that perk.

Lanrutcon

I am lvl 19 with 8 unspent perk points.

I want to move my base to castle but keep the water farm at sanctuary...do you think it be good idea to spend 3 points to get supply lines? I think its CHAR 6 required which would be 2 points..than one in that perk.

Supply lines are stupidly handy. Especially when you want to start building more settlements.

I think "supply lines" is a required perk if you intend to do any serious building.
Boosting your C also increases the number of residents, which is vital if you want your base to be more than just somewhere to dump your shit.

And C is also useful in conversations, since it seems to be the only variable in all speech skillchecks #NeverForgetNewVegas

Steejee

the very end where you have to try and save Kent and kill Sinjin. I could easily convince the other raiders that I was really Silver Shroud so they all left, but then Sinjin would keep shooting Kent in the back when I tried to take him out. Took me quite a few tries before I figured out I could stagger him with my gatling laser so he couldn't use his weapon. Also helped to pop some chems.

After two or three failures, I realized
as soon as you leave the conversation with Sinjin you can hit your VATS key and kill him before he has any time to move.
Worked first try.

Got into Glowing Sea last night...yeah that place is pretty awesome. Fo4 needs more extreme locations like that. I'm stupidly over leveled (43) so it hasn't been a huge challenge, though I have died a few times from various combinations of legendary wildlife.

Re: Supply lines. I think if you just want to do straight building at only one location you're alright skipping it, but Local Leader is required for a few of the buildables (like shops) so you can't just avoid it altogether if you want a fully functioning settlement.

DEO3

Eh, my Silver Shroud quest is bugged and I can't continue it.

I'm supposed to talk to
Hancock
, but every time I try to, he still thinks I'm on the last part of the The Big Dig quest where you're supposed to
'take care of Bobbi' - which I already did. So whenever I try to talk to him as the Silver Shroud, he just keeps saying, "Isn't there a ghoul you should be taking care of right now?", instead of doing whatever he's supposed to do to help me move the Silver Shroud quest along.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Charisma is basically the new Intelligence. You don't roll a non-Charisma character if you want to see and do everything.

I feel like charisma is the worst stat/tree tbh, but I do want to get the local leader thing for supply lines. If you aren't into settlements there's no reason to put any points in it.

danowat

Banned
Eh, my Silver Shroud quest is bugged and I can't continue it.

I'm supposed to talk to
Hancock
, but every time I try to, he still thinks I'm on the last part of the The Big Dig quest where you're supposed to
'take care of Bobbi' - which I already did. So whenever I try to talk to him as the Silver Shroud, he just keeps saying, "Isn't there a ghoul you should be taking care of right now?", instead of doing whatever he's supposed to do to help me move the Silver Shroud quest along.

I had problems like this, I had to make Hancock my companion and then use the talk option to be able to progress the quest, this happened twice.

Arment

You have to convince them to attack you first

anddo0

Best settlement to get 100% happiness?

I've read that Sanctuary can never reach 100%
Should I even bother with this until I finish the game?

Kamina777

Banned
Oh I will, don't you worry. If they wanted to make post-apo shooters, they should have built new IP.
Thankfully that wasn't the case, the fallout world works on other levels. fallout 3 and 4 would have ended up like wasteland 2 in a perfect world for the bygone purists..

Who by the way; would rather gaming stagnate in tedium than reach other audiences outside of the hardcore set.

Denton

Thankfully that wasn't the case, the fallout world works on other levels. fallout 3 and 4 would have ended up like wasteland 2 in a perfect world for the bygone purists..

Who by the way; would rather gaming stagnate in tedium than reach other audiences outside of the hardcore set.
Except that's bullshit. Obsidian has shown what 3D Fallout can be very well. I am the first who welcomed new first person perspective for the franchise. Too bad Bethesda ain't have good enough designers to match RPG qualities of F1, F2 and FNV in their games. I recognize that, even though I am enjoying F4 and have over 70 hours in it so far. The quest design is just vastly inferior, as are dialogues and role playing options. None of which is dependent on camera perspective.

I'm not at a level i could take him out first, tried as much as i could it's a pain, i don't like when you can't deal with it properly. Nevermind i guess.

Kamina777

Banned
Archaic design? So isometric view and turn-based is archaic and therefore bad? Okay, I guess...

Just a simple example what I mean when it comes to the difference between both games (looking at the first scripted enemy encounter):

-> When you arrive in Concord in Fallout 4 -> All raiders are immediatly hostile and you have to shoot your way to the museum (starting the Minutemen Quest). Nobody even knows who you are but hey "boom boom". No talking, nothing, boom boom.

-> When you arrive at the radar station in Wasteland 2 -> Raiders are guarding the outpost. You can...
1.) Talk to them and A) threaten to eat the guys dog (Hardass skill challenge. Other speech skills are smart ass and kiss ass). B) Pay a fee (lets you pass) C) Mess up talking and get attacked from a bad spot

2,) Get in Position and kill em all with an ambush.

I think I prefer this archaic design...
Are you telling me there aren't quests that that give you more than 2 options on how an absolutely minor section plays out in Fallout 4?

In wasteland 2 I recall responding to an attack in progress on a township, when you get there You are in the middle of a battle..where the attacking "raiders" have no idea who you are, but hey, boom boom, no talking to you just "boom boom"..

I can cherry pick too. Anyway this is an unnecessary tangent, i already agreed that there is more rpg like content, and that's not the archaic design i was referring to, and i elaborated before your edit.

7Q3nqtx.jpg

Got this alert on my settlement now. What do I do?

EDIT: It's gone now. I don't understand this thing. :lol

GReeeeN

does anyone know how to speed up "continue working with
father", as my only quest available from him is to kill Destimona

I guess I was being hyperbolic when I originally posted that, but I actually agree with everything you said. It's just that ending was so bad that it ruined any fun I got out of that quest. I'm beginning to think it's just me, though, since other people are all like
I saved Kent so easy whatever you must suck

So what is up with this? Do I have to use roof + floor for a second floor?

Nope. There are two types of walls, "small" and "outer." Small walls are intended to be sandwiched between normal floors and "upper floors," which is a type of floor you can build that's double thickness (I think the floor item that's actually a set of stairs is also double thickness at the top). Outer walls go around the perimeter of your building and are tall enough to cover that gap. Not every wall actually has the label "small" or "outer" but you'll see what I mean once you look through the wall options.

In your particular case, I think it's also because you're using normal floors on your second level instead of "upper" floors.

Lanrutcon

So what is up with this? Do I have to use roof + floor for a second floor?

Check your floors tab: there's another wooden floor, fourth or fifth from the left. It's twice the thickness of the one you used. It's meant for floors above the ground floor.

Want to get happiness to 100% but it seems impossible.

Sanctuary has 2 clinics, plenty of food, water etc and it never seems to go above 80.

Spectacle Island doesn't have a clinic but I at 75%

I may focus on fun stuff in them more like bars. Got the Patio furniture from a magazine so will make a nice beach bar!

Coll1der

Banned
Are you telling me there aren't quests that that give you more than 2 options on how an absolutely minor section plays out in Fallout 4?

In wasteland 2 I recall responding to an attack in progress on a township, when you get there You are in the middle of a battle..where the attacking "raiders" have no idea who you are, but hey, boom boom, no talking to you just "boom boom"..

I can cherry pick too. Anyway this is an unnecessary tangent, i already agreed that there is more rpg like content, and that's not the archaic design i was referring to, and i elaborated before your edit.

Except every time in FO4 you encounter raiders or boomers or any other enemy faction, it's always boom-boom. I can swear that there is nothing but boom-boom in FO4 90 percent of the time. All the quests involve wasting hundreds of enemies and then 1-2 dialogues when you can chose to do a good thing or do another good thing.

And also Wasteland 2 is a bad example of archaic design, it was really criticised for placing too much emphasis on combat. Witcher 3, Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity are much better examples of an excellent archaic RPG design that doesn't rely on combat everywhere you go.

I feel like charisma is the worst stat/tree tbh, but I do want to get the local leader thing for supply lines. If you aren't into settlements there's no reason to put any points in it.

Eh Charisma effects how much money you get and prices when buying/selling stuff too which can be helpful. With low charisma, you get very little return on anything you trade in.

Sarcasm

Check your floors tab: there's another wooden floor, fourth or fifth from the left. It's twice the thickness of the one you used. It's meant for floors above the ground floor.

I guess I was being hyperbolic when I originally posted that, but I actually agree with everything you said. It's just that ending was so bad that it ruined any fun I got out of that quest. I'm beginning to think it's just me, though, since other people are all like
I saved Kent so easy whatever you must suck

Nope. There are two types of walls, "small" and "outer." Small walls are intended to be sandwiched between normal floors and "upper floors," which is a type of floor you can build that's double thickness (I think the floor item that's actually a set of stairs is also double thickness at the top). Outer walls go around the perimeter of your building and are tall enough to cover that gap. Not every wall actually has the label "small" or "outer" but you'll see what I mean once you look through the wall options.

In your particular case, I think it's also because you're using normal floors on your second level instead of "upper" floors.

I found the floor, but I can't find this longer wall yea speak of.

Kamina777

Banned
Except that's bullshit. Obsidian has shown what 3D Fallout can be very well. I am the first who welcomed new first person perspective for the franchise. Too bad Bethesda ain't have good enough designers to match RPG qualities of F1, F2 and FNV in their games. I recognize that, even though I am enjoying F4 and have over 70 hours in it so far. The quest design is just vastly inferior, as are dialogues and role playing options. None of which is dependent on camera perspective.
Obsidians entry wouldn't exist without bethesdas, and they set out to make an rpg first and foremost, which shows in the meh combat, so that is moot..70 hours in and you think bethesda should have just made another IP huh? You don't think thr fallout world and it's elements have anything to do with pulling you in?

Nobody is disagreeing with how bad the rpg elements are, they are cleay ruined overall,seemingly for no reason,but clearly, not everyones enjoyment comes soley from those admittedly ruined elements, and interestingly enough, the added elements are grabbing some members of the audience in a whole new way, beyond choosing an a dialogue choice where everyone in town will treat you prick or a hero , or using science to repair a sad robots blues.

There's progress despite its shortcomings, the flaws are so obvious and rote now its repeated every page as if its a new discovery

Truth is, Bethesda never promised anyone they were making the fallout of old, its their IP now, they are going in their own direction for better or worse.

Lanrutcon

Typically you want your floor to be either the concrete block or normal, think wooden wall. Your first story floor needs to be the thick wooden floor. The walls can be whatever and you should not see any gaps from wall to floor. That screen shot of yours shows thin floors, walls and then thin floors on top, which give you the effect you're seeing.

It's hyper annoying since prefabs use thin floors as well, resulting in cabs if you slot prefabs into things you're built vertically.

Sarcasm

Typically you want your floor to be either the concrete block or normal, think wooden wall. Your first story floor needs to be the thick wooden floor. The walls can be whatever and you should not see any gaps from wall to floor. That screen shot of yours shows thin floors, walls and then thin floors on top, which give you the effect you're seeing.

It's hyper annoying since prefabs use thin floors as well, resulting in cabs if you slot prefabs into things you're built vertically.

We are only talking about floors atm right? Wait that says think..not thick lol.

So the thick goes on bottom first floor and thin ones up top? Or visa versa?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Eh Charisma effects how much money you get and prices when buying/selling stuff too which can be helpful. With low charisma, you get very little return on anything you trade in.

Personally I already have more caps than I know what to do with(11K right now, and I've bought the Diamond City house on top of pretty much every named weapon) while starting at 3 CHR, though I've found multiple magazines that influence bartering.

It's mostly the perk tree that puts me off from putting points into it. There's so many strong items that influence the stat itself to get through situations(grape mentats give an entire +5 to CHR which is nuts), and I carry around an outfit + glasses that give me another 4 on top of that to talk through any scenario.

That said I haven't actually seen much discussion of those bottom perks, so maybe they're better than they look. Not sure.

This is a small wall:

2M8ESqhl.jpg

This is an outer wall:

FFrxqMTl.jpg

I know the scaling between the two looks weird, so apologies, but the second one is the taller wall.

Yeah, I basically never use prefabs anymore because of how poorly they fit with the other floor/wall items.

Lanrutcon

We are only talking about floors atm right? Wait that says think..not thick lol.

So the thick goes on bottom first floor and thin ones up top? Or visa versa?

Visa versa.

Try this: use concrete blocks for your floor. This gives you a flat surface to build on without any gaps between the floor and the earth beneath it.

Now slot your walls on the foundation you've lain, then slot the thick wooden floor on the walls. You'll see it all fits rather nicely without gaps. The thick floor tiles acts as ceiling to the ground floor, and floor to the first floor.

If I was at home right now I'd do some screenshots.

Kamina777

Banned
Except every time in FO4 you encounter raiders or boomers or any other enemy faction, it's always boom-boom. I can swear that there is nothing but boom-boom in FO4 90 percent of the time. All the quests involve wasting hundreds of enemies and then 1-2 dialogues when you can chose to do a good thing or do another good thing.

And also Wasteland 2 is a bad example of archaic design, it was really criticised for placing too much emphasis on combat. Witcher 3, Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity are much better examples of an excellent archaic RPG design that doesn't rely on combat everywhere you go.
Fair enough; wasteland 2' combat was crap, but I got it for the combat mainly and wished that were not the case.. the idea that less options for combat means a better "rpg" irks me, but that may just be my bloodlust bias.. bethesdas Fallout 4 is a boom boom type of game, rpg has been an afterthought since 3, though fallout 4 itd so much much worst even i'm given pause.

Top Bottom