• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

So uh Spectacle Island.

I innocently went there. Saw it's unlockable. Said I couldn't have it. So I went around killing some
Mirelurk Kings and some other mirelurk minions
. Still says I can't use it. Figure out what to do and MOTHER OF GOD was NOT expecting that haha.

Must be the best location in the game considering everything you have to do. Will build my new main base in here.

Kamina777

Banned
Thats what I did aswell. And it was a huge clusterfuck and I loved it.

I imagine console peeps didnt tho if they
warn ....
>_>

Not console shaming, just a fact of those versions unfortunately. If im wrong I apologize
What does being on consoles have to do with what you put in spoiler tags? If we don't are you saying its impossible to get the same outcome?

raphier

Banned
yPcC7X6.jpg

vocab

Jesus Fucking Christ I GENUINELY jumped out of my seat.

I went to a location in the map. There were 2 friendly Mr Handy's in there. I was like 'cool' so I slept on the bed. The next morning I wake up and the Mr Handy's start calling me Eugene and tell me there's a surprise from my brother in the next room.

I go there and they start going "HAPPY BIRTHDAY EUGENE!" over and over again. It was eerie as fuck. Then
they turn hostile.

Fuck me that woke me up haha

Theres logs detailing why that happens. Ironically that event did not trigger for me so I just left.

Bl@de

Don't know if it has been posted (I avoid OTs because of spoilers^^).

A nice article by PC Gamer describes how I feel about Fallout 4.

Fallout 4 - Good Game, Bad RPG

It adresses all the points that annoy me (no chances of peaceful encounters, bad dialogue+voiceacting, quests are meh, streamlined skill-system, etc. - basically a FPS with some RPG elements). I actually started to play Wateland 2 DC (after having finished W2 Classic last year) ... just to play a post-apocalyptic RPG.

I still love Fallout 4. But more as an exploration-FPS with cool crafting and a lot of humour. But it's just a bad RPG when I compare it to other titles this year (Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2 DC, probably Age of Decadence). Wonder if a lot of people feel the same....

Thats what I did aswell. And it was a huge clusterfuck and I loved it.

I imagine console peeps didnt tho if they
warned both factions
>_>

Not console shaming, just a fact of those versions unfortunately. If im wrong I apologize
That has like nothing to do with consoles and I don't know what would lead you to believe otherwise. I did the mission similarly and got in and out without having to fight anyone.

Tunavi

Banned
just picked this up tonight. never played fallout before. its fun.

is the entire sanctuary supposed to be my free build space? do i build a house from scratch?

I think I may have killed the leaders of the gunners without meaning to.

I stumbled into a fight between some caravan guards and a few gunners in Quincy before I know what's going on mini-nukes are coming in, missiles and about 20 people are shooting from rooftops including three named people, 2 of which were in power armour.

Just for good measure mid battle some super mutants ran in and started punching me in the face.

I only wanted to take a 10 minute jaunt to pick something up, not an hour long battle!!!

Kamina777

Banned
.. But it's just a bad RPG when I compare it to Wasteland 2 DC
Now you're being silly. Wasteland 2 is barely a passable rpg and so much less fun with all its faithfulness to rpg staples, compared to the admittedly miniature rpg content you get in fallout 4. Don't let Nostalgia over archaic design give the game a pass. Its not fun without breaking the game outright, It's like an rpg maker version of wasteland.

Bl@de

Now you're being silly. Wasteland 2 is barely a passable rpg and so much less fun with all its faithfulness to rpg staples, compared to the admittedly miniature rpg content you get in fallout 4. Don't let Nostalgia over archaic design give the game a pass. Its not fun without breaking the game outright, It's like an rpg maker version of wasteland.

Archaic design? So isometric view and turn-based is archaic and therefore bad? Okay, I guess...

Just a simple example what I mean when it comes to the difference between both games (looking at the first scripted enemy encounter):

-> When you arrive in Concord in Fallout 4 -> All raiders are immediatly hostile and you have to shoot your way to the museum (starting the Minutemen Quest). Nobody even knows who you are but hey "boom boom". No talking, nothing, boom boom.

-> When you arrive at the radar station in Wasteland 2 -> Raiders are guarding the outpost. You can...
1.) Talk to them and A) threaten to eat the guys dog (Hardass skill challenge. Other speech skills are smart ass and kiss ass). B) Pay a fee (lets you pass) C) Mess up talking and get attacked from a bad spot

2,) Get in Position and kill em all with an ambush.

I think I prefer this archaic design...

vocab

Don't know if it has been posted (I avoid OTs because of spoilers^^).

A nice article by PC Gamer describes how I feel about Fallout 4.

Fallout 4 - Good Game, Bad RPG

It adresses all the points that annoy me (no chances of peaceful encounters, bad dialogue+voiceacting, quests are meh, streamlined skill-system, etc. - basically a FPS with some RPG elements). I actually started to play Wateland 2 DC (after having finished W2 Classic last year) ... just to play a post-apocalyptic RPG.

I still love Fallout 4. But more as an exploration-FPS with cool crafting and a lot of humour. But it's just a bad RPG when I compare it to other titles this year (Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2 DC, probably Age of Decadence). Wonder if a lot of people feel the same....
Article is pretty spot on. The dialogue system just doesnt do it for me. Highly unsatisfying and a reminder that this game could of been a lot better. Still better than 3, but the bar was kind of low on that one.

Kamina777

Banned
Archaic design? So isometric view and turn-based is archaic and therefore bad? Okay, I guess...
I liked the isometric view i'd like to see better animated and better modeled games utilize it more often. Clumsy and needlessly stacked against you turn based battles are definitely bad. There's no fun to be had in that without knowing how to break the game.

I have a cow on my roof, it mooos every time I enter the town.. I tried knocking it down by walking into it but nothing. I killed it but the body just stays up there. Super annoying.

If I had a cow on the roof of one of my settlements, the last thing I'd do is kill it. That would be hilarious.

danowat

Banned
Article is pretty spot on. The dialogue system just doesnt do it for me. Highly unsatisfying and a reminder that this game could of been a lot better. Still better than 3, but the bar was kind of low on that one.

If it's a good game, that's fun to play, who cares what pigeon hole it's in?, does it actually matter if it's a RPG, or an open world action game with RPG elements?

I'll be honest, apart from the dialogue system, I don't think it's any less of an RPG than any other Bethesda RPG or FO3 / NV.

If it's a good game, that's fun to play, who cares what pigeon hole it's in?, does it actually matter if it's a RPG, or an open world action game with RPG elements?

I'll be honest, apart from the dialogue system, I don't think it's any less of an RPG than any other Bethesda RPG or FO3 / NV.

Moreover, if you do not consider Fallout 4 as an RPG, then what will you call those linear JRPGs with nonexistant choices?
FO4 doesn't have the depth as the previous games, but it's still an RPG. More RPG than lots of 'RPGs' out there.

Machina

Banned
One thing this game does so well is the encounters with Deathclaws. They are actually used pretty sparingly in FO4 whereas they were a regular enemy in FO3 and New Vegas (mind you in almost 50 hours of play I still have close to half a map I haven't seen yet in the south east) so every time you encounter one (or two), it is coming at you out of nowhere and very fast and you fucking panic. It's intimidating every time which is awesome.

Okay awesome Deathclaw encounters in spoiler tags, ready go:

It was a hollowed out Hospital building somewhere near Diamond City, And Raiders had converted it into some sort of Entertainment Pit where some poor settler would be lowered into the basement via a cage on a pulley where a Deathclaw waited to eat them. Knarly stuff man, Jabba was here.

danowat

Banned
Anyone got a simple (read, idiots guide) walkthrough of how to work with each faction, where to save, where to reload etc, to get all quest paths done in a single playthrough?

I've found a couple of videos on the subject, but they just make my brain hurt!

One thing this game does so well is the encounters with Deathclaws. They are actually used pretty sparingly in FO4 whereas they were a regular enemy in FO3 and New Vegas (mind you in almost 50 hours of play I still have close to half a map I haven't seen yet in the south east) so every time you encounter one (or two), it is coming at you out of nowhere and very fast and you fucking panic. It's intimidating every time which is awesome.

Okay awesome Deathclaw encounters in spoiler tags, ready go:

It was a hollowed out Hospital building somewhere near Diamond City, And Raiders had converted it into some sort of Entertainment Pit where some poor settler would be lowered into the basement via a cage on a pulley where a Deathclaw waited to eat them. Knarly stuff man, Jabba was here.

I saw one yeasterday and just snuck past. Heard some gunfire turned around and a BoS Knight had taken it down with a minigun.

I went back to check out the area and the deathclaw had wiped out an entire super mutant settlement!

Matush

Is my game seriously glitched or what? When I come back to the building I already cleared (it says Cleared on the Map in Pipboy) there are still enemies and terminals/safes that I previously unlocked are locked again. Not to mention first aid kits etc. are full again, what is going on? Are buildings/locations resetting?

Is my game seriously glitched or what? When I come back to the building I already cleared (it says Cleared on the Map in Pipboy) there are still enemies and terminals/safes that I previously unlocked are locked again. Not to mention first aid kits etc. are full again, what is going on? Are buildings/locations resetting?

Yes.

All these 'is my game glitched'-questions are funny. I've only seen a handful of posts where the game was actually glitched. :lol

Most locations reset after 3 in-game days or if there's a quest at a location. That's why ammunition really isn't an issue.

Rixa

So Iam around 6h playtime. Bulding base, but to get people there I need that radio sender. And that needs 2 Crystals, got all the other materials to build it. What is the easiest / fastest way (for level 2) character to get those Crystals?

Denton

It matters because the game would be vastly more interesting and frankly better if it allowed for all the stuff previous games have, plus it has their legacy.

By your logic Fallout 5 could be diablo-like hack and slash and "Who cares if it's fun to play!".

Machina

Banned

Yes, there is no level cap, so the game would run out of content but the player can still keep playing so after a few days, some general loot is reloaded into places you've visited before.

That is actually one minor complaint I have about this game, taking down a Legendary gets watered down a bit when you get some loot with the exact same bonus that you've already had for 10 hours. That is a bit disappointing, but at least the locations and quests still have unique loot.

danowat

Banned
It matters because the game would be vastly more interesting and frankly better if it allowed for all the stuff previous games have, plus it has their legacy.

By your logic Fallout 5 could be diablo-like hack and slash and "Who cares if it's fun to play!".

No, my point is that not everything needs a label, plus I also think that what the term RPG means to people differs.

Lanrutcon

I liked the isometric view i'd like to see better animated and better modeled games utilize it more often. Clumsy and needlessly stacked against you turn based battles are definitely bad. There's no fun to be had in that without knowing how to break the game.

Wow. Someone didn't like Wasteland 2.

For the record, he's so wrong that his posts should actually be labelled toxic.

Lanrutcon

What is the fastest way to get EXP besides Idiot Savant?

Pick a settlement you don't use.
Connect it to your other settlements via the Cha 6 perk (or, take a crapload of steel there on foot with Power Armor)
Find a wall

Build a sign against the wall (takes a few steel, give you some xp)
Repeat until your out of steel
Scrap the signs by rapidly tapping 'r' then 'enter'
Start building signs again
Etc etc

Each sign you place is xp, and you can stack a shitload on a single position on a wall. Easy levels.

Edit: crap, double post. Apologies.

So Iam around 6h playtime. Bulding base, but to get people there I need that radio sender. And that needs 2 Crystals, got all the other materials to build it. What is the easiest / fastest way (for level 2) character to get those Crystals?

Find cameras, or someone selling junk will typically have something with a crystal in it.

danowat

Banned
Pick a settlement you don't use.
Connect it to your other settlements via the Cha 6 perk (or, take a crapload of steel there on foot with Power Armor)
Find a wall

Build a sign against the wall (takes a few steel, give you some xp)
Repeat until your out of steel
Scrap the signs by rapidly tapping 'r' then 'enter'
Start building signs again
Etc etc

Each sign you place is xp, and you can stack a shitload on a single position on a wall. Easy levels.

Edit: crap, double post. Apologies.
Not that it matters much, but do you get the same amount of steel back that it cost to make the sign?

So my settlement at Spectacle Island says I have 20 settlers, yet only 17 show up when I ring the bell. Trying to go for the 100% happiness, gonna take a while at this rate.

Lanrutcon

Not that it matters much, but do you get the same amount of steel back that it cost to make the sign?

Slightly less. The signs are cheap tho, and steel is hardly a rare resource.

So my settlement at Spectacle Island says I have 20 settlers, yet only 17 show up when I ring the bell. Trying to go for the 100% happiness, gonna take a while at this rate.

Known bug. Had that happen to most of my settlements on my last character. Stupidly annoying when it happens to the rare settlers.

Slightly less. The signs are cheap tho, and steel is hardly a rare resource.

Known bug. Had that happen to most of my settlements on my last character. Stupidly annoying when it happens to the rare settlers.

I'm up to 19 appearing now. I had 20 when Strong was still on the island and that amount remained at 20 even when I moved him to the Slog, so either he doesn't count or my game bugged out a bit.

Lanrutcon

I'm up to 19 appearing now. I had 20 when Strong was still on the island and that amount remained at 20 even when I moved him to the Slog, so either he doesn't count or my game bugged out a bit.

I ordered a settler to move to another settlement, and it got shot by raiders outside my town while relocating. Never decreased my population.

Met a rare trader and asked him to join one of my settlements. Population count increased, but he never arrived.

I ordered a settler to move to another settlement, and it got shot by raiders outside my town while relocating. Never decreased my population.

Met a rare trader and asked him to join one of my settlements. Population count increased, but he never arrived.

Yeah, had the latter happen as well. To make matters worse, one of my other rare traders was also glitched and needed three or four speakings to before he even opened up a dialog window.

But Sheffield just showed up at my settlement. Suddenly I have 21 people. :lol

Denton

No, my point is that not everything needs a label, plus I also think that what the term RPG means to people differs.
Yes, everyone can have their own cute definition of any term imaginable, but there are still differences between games like, say, Fallout 1 and between games like Diablo or Borderlands. And FO4 goes uncomfortably far into that wrong direction, which is why people, like that PCGamer editor, are talking about it. Especially since it follows from New Vegas, which was a significant incline after FO3.

hydruxo

The Silver Shroud is the. worst. goddamned. quest. ever. I hate it so much.

Silver Shroud is the best quest. Only part I disliked was
the very end where you have to try and save Kent and kill Sinjin. I could easily convince the other raiders that I was really Silver Shroud so they all left, but then Sinjin would keep shooting Kent in the back when I tried to take him out. Took me quite a few tries before I figured out I could stagger him with my gatling laser so he couldn't use his weapon. Also helped to pop some chems.

Top Bottom