• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Bebpo

Banned
Nose Master said:
Uhm. So, did no one get to Nellis
through the train tunnel? There's a section of the floor in front of a doorway that just isn't there. My companions and ghouls alike fall forever then respawn whenever they rush into it. Same thing happens to me, I think. :lol I want to get in that room >:O

Yeah, that's how I found it too. Cool little train tunnel section

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Blackace said:
I want to ask you a serious question... do you play JRPGs a lot?

I think Cha is an awesome stat for Fallout like games.. I always pimp out my speech..

For the current generation, for the Xbox I've played Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Nier, a little bit of Star Ocean the Last Hope. Of all these only Vesperia that I bothered to play twice to find all the sidequests/costumes/unlockables/whatever.

For the PSP I have played Jeanne D'Arc, Persona 3 Portable, a little bit of Lunar Silver Star Harmony, a little bit of Disgaea Hour of Darkness and am currently rather addicted to YS7.

I am not sure why I answer your question in such details when perhaps a simple yes or no will suffice :lol

Speech....? Hmmmmm..... I am thinking of investing to that too. In fact, I am already *this close* in making a character with a nice speech, but then I remember that group of Giant Scorpions won't give a shit if you are a nice speaker or not, and thus I return to my decisions, decisions dilemma :lol

This game has so much content, it really is amazing, how can you not have some glitches here and there with a world this huge, it really is something else.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Laughing Banana said:
Speech....? Hmmmmm..... I am thinking of investing to that too. In fact, I am already *this close* in making a character with a nice speech, but then I remember that group of Giant Scorpions won't give a shit if you are a nice speaker or not, and thus I return to my decisions, decisions dilemma :lol

Speech is just one of the 3 skills.. then invest in a combat skill

1 point in stats is a nice bump.. 2 is epic.. you don't need to use all of your stat points on one area..

Vice

I killed Benny in Tops and ended up killing pretty much everyone their. Is it possible forme to get the weapons the confiscated off of me back or am I out of luck?

Blackace

Vice said:
I killed Benny in Tops and ended up killing pretty much everyone their. Is it possible forme to get the weapons the confiscated off of me back or am I out of luck?

they said it is in the safe next to the money...

Laughing Banana said:
Caved in and bought the game.

The decisions at the beginning of the game sort of overwhelming for me, just like the original Fallout 3. On what stats should I pour the points? Strength? Science? Speech?.... Gah, too many options.

SPECIAL: 7 STR, 5 PER, 7 END, 1 CHR, 5 INT, 6 AGI, 9 LCK
I suggest tagging Repair, Sneak, and Lockpicking.
Perks: 01 Fast Shot and Built to Destroy, 02 Rapid Reloads, 04 Educated, 06 Bloody Mess, 08 Cowboy, 10 Finesse, 12 Confirmed Bachelor, 14 Purifier, 16 Better Criticals, 18 Super Slam, 20 Jury Rigging, 22 Sniper, 24 Ninja, 26 Nerves of Steel, 28 Commando, 30 Hunter. You may also consider Slayer, Math Wrath, Grim Reaper's Spirit, or Action Boy.

Crit stacking is the most effective way to break the game. On Very Hard you'll run into enemies like deathclaws that can easily 2-3 shot you even with decent armor on, so you'll need superior ranged firepower to kill them before they lay their claws on you.

Most important skills that should be as close to 100 as possible: Guns, Lockpick, Melee Weapons, Repair, Sneak.
Secondary skills that are good to have at around 50-60: Speech, Science, Medicine.

avcables

Banned
avcables said:
I'm not sure if this is just me finding out about this now, but...

Apparently Lead does have actual weight in the game. I know it shows the value of 0.00 instead of -- but I figured it was glitched. Until I dumped the 46,000 Lead I had in my inventory out and my weight dropped 70 fucking points.

If you're playing hardcore, this is a pretty fucking huge deal. I honestly had no idea. I'm now at 70/190 instead of 140/190. I've been playing this whole game gimped.

FalloutNV%202010-10-28%2022-35-50-31.jpg

FalloutNV%202010-10-28%2022-35-52-24.jpg

FalloutNV%202010-10-28%2022-35-54-69.jpg

FalloutNV%202010-10-28%2022-35-57-03.jpg

According to those numbers in the pictures, Lead weighs about 0.0014 for each piece.

Carrying this over to the next page. Important information for those of you playing hardcore. Seeing as I've amassed over 46,000 Lead playing so far, it's probably easy to mistake the weight coming from elsewhere. Just know that's it's from the Lead.

Blackace

dreamer3kx said:
Where the heck do you buy repair kits, I have 100 repair, I thought you can repair youself if so, guess not.

take two of the same weapon and make one repaired..

Also if you get the repain perk you can do that with anything you have take a 9mm and laser rifle and poof fixed.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Blackace said:
Speech is just one of the 3 skills.. then invest in a combat skill

1 point in stats is a nice bump.. 2 is epic.. you don't need to use all of your stat points on one area..

You know what? I want to play as a bad, rotten guy to the core since I played as a saint in Fallout 3. Not bad, rotten as in "kill everyone in sight", but bad, rotten as in "I want to manipulate him/her/them for my own gains and screw about the consequences! If I have to kill him/her/them, so be it, but if possible I want to milk every penny out of him/her/them as much as possible before the guns are firing."

Can Charisma/Speech help me obtain this gameplay experience?

Oh and I prefer to play as a lone ranger and disregard companions completely... this kind of character suits my preferences more.

Maybe... stats/skills that goes to improving/maximizing my Guns, Speech, and Repair (I reckon repair is still a 'must-have' skill, right?) with lockpick and perhaps science for hacking for every once in a while.

Blackace

Laughing Banana said:
You know what? I want to play as a bad, rotten guy to the core since I played as a saint in Fallout 3. Not bad, rotten as in "kill everyone in sight", but bad, rotten as in "I want to manipulate him/her/them for my own gains and screw about the consequences! If I have to kill him/her/them, so be it, but if possible I want to milk every penny out of him/her/them as much as possible before the guns are firing."

Can Charisma/Speech help me obtain this gameplay experience?

Oh and I prefer to play as a lone ranger and disregard companions completely... this kind of character suits my preferences more.

Maybe... stats/skills that goes to improving/maximizing my Guns, Speech, and Repair (I reckon repair is still a 'must-have' skill, right?) with lockpick and perhaps science for hacking for every once in a while.

yes it can...

you can do all sorts of stuff with speech.. not all of goody good choices

Wallach

Blackace said:
take two of the same weapon and make one repaired..

Also if you get the repain perk you can do that with anything you have take a 9mm and laser rifle and poof fixed.

Jury Rigging doesn't extend quite that far; if you're trying to fix say a 9mm you'd still need some other kind of one-handed firearm. Still a great perk, especially when you're dealing with hard to maintain items.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Blackace said:
yes it can...

you can do all sorts of stuff with speech.. not all of goody good choices

Alright, thanks. While I am at it, might as well ask:

-In your opinion, will a speech-based character is suitable with the lone-ranger type of character I prefer to play as (no companion play)? I imagine this will require a character more specifically engineered in combat, but I might be wrong.
-What is the stats/skills spread for the character you are using?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Laughing Banana said:
Alright, thanks. While I am at it, might as well ask:

-In your opinion, will a speech-based character is suitable with the lone-ranger type of character I prefer to play as (no companion play)? I imagine this will require a character more specifically engineered in combat, but I might be wrong.
-What is the stats/skills spread for the character you are using?
Any build, high Speech or not, should have no problems doing this. The only thing you will definitely need is one main combat skill pumped up high since youll have no followers to fight.

You could probably do a solo pacifist character but you would have to build the character just right (high Stealth, perk for running faster in Light armor, run away from battles, etc) but it should be doable.

NoRéN

HadesGigas said:
Rush directly back to the monorail, don't talk to Hsu or you'll be too late. There's a vent inside the train that has explosives on it that you have to disarm.
Damn, I
talked to him first. oh well.

Dresden

Laughing Banana said:
Caved in and bought the game.

The decisions at the beginning of the game sort of overwhelming for me, just like the original Fallout 3. On what stats should I pour the points? Strength? Science? Speech?.... Gah, too many options.

I usually just left Strength at its default number since I dislike Melee-based build but now guns are having strength requirement...? Bah.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. I need recommendation, guys. What are the most important stats and skills in this game for me to invest? Decisions, decisions, decisions. FYI, anything aside melee build is fine...

Oh, and if I skip in tagging the first two perks at the beginning, will the perk points carry over? I am literally stuck at the very beginning of the game because I am overwhelmed by all the options and decisions running around in my head :lol

Decisions, decisions... Help me out guys, I want to get out from the Doctor's house already :lol
My new energy-science-sneak meltdown build goes something like this:

6 STR
6 PER
6 END
1 CHA
6 INT
6 AGI
9 LCK

Then you buy six implants and boost every stat but Charisma for a row of 7's with 10 Luck. You can't go wrong with Luck.

The thing about Charisma is that it affects your initial Speech/Barter skill and Companion Nerve (the stat that adjusts their Damage and DT). There's no penalty to be had from lowering it to 1, then just investing more points into the Speech skill to compensate, asides from weaker companions. Asides from roleplaying purposes--I had six charisma in my first guy, an explosive expert--but if you want great stats all-around, lowering it to 1 isn't a bad option at all.

One thing I dislike about the game is it kind of discourages you from exploring, I just found a vault but I don't know if I should go in because I might not get the quests for it later.

pilonv1

avcables said:
Carrying this over to the next page. Important information for those of you playing hardcore. Seeing as I've amassed over 46,000 Lead playing so far, it's probably easy to mistake the weight coming from elsewhere. Just know that's it's from the Lead.

That's ridiculous, no wonder I've been at 90% capacity for ages.

Going to investigate this bobblehead mod too.

GhostRidah said:
One thing I dislike about the game is it kind of discourages you from exploring, I just found a vault but I don't know if I should go in because I might not get the quests for it later.

Do you murder everything you see or something? Usually you can go and do something in a place then if it comes up that it was a quest later, you can immediately tell whoever gave you the quest "yeah I already did that". I guess there are probably some exceptions.

Jerk

Banned
GhostRidah said:

This post makes no sense.

I have done nothing but explore.

I actually keep on forgetting where I am in the story.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Thanks to everyone helping with my decisions, decisions dilemma :)

GhostRidah said:

I suppose it is because you are afraid of encountering bugs and glitches?

Are the bugs and glitches in this game so pervasive that exploration in this game is not recommended? I guess I should try to play it as safe as possible, going to specific places only when the game tells me to... Kind of bummer, though.

Wallach

Laughing Banana said:

Are the bugs and glitches in this game so pervasive that exploration in this game is not recommended? I guess I should try to play it as safe as possible, going to specific places only when the game tells me to... Kind of bummer, though.

No, I don't think most of us have any idea what he's talking about.

Dresden

Laughing Banana said:

Uh, don't listen to him. Going the wrong way and running into Cazadores at level two is a rite of passage. Explore, explore, explore.

Jerk

Banned
Dresden said:
Uh, don't listen to him. Going the wrong way and running into Cazadores at level two is a rite of passage. Explore, explore, explore.

I seem to have missed this.

What is Cazadores?

Laughing Banana said:
Thanks to everyone helping with my decisions, decisions dilemma :)

No not bugs really, I mean if I kill a npc and then later I find out I cant complete or do a quest because the npc is dead.

Dresden

Jerk 2.0 said:
I seem to have missed this.

What is Cazadores?
You've never met them? Going north
right after you finish the Goodsprings quests, instead of south towards Primm, will run you headlong into them.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Coming from a game like Fallout 3 where you can please mad bitches and not feel like you are missing out on anything, starting the real quests in New Vegas is overwhelming as fuck. I had to sit back for a second wasn't going to be able to do every quest. THERE IS TOO MUCH RP IN THIS RPG FOR ME TO HANDLE.

God, I love Obsidian. I would give them 100$ dollars every year if I could get story/dialogue/characters as good as the ones in Alpha Protocol and this.

duckroll

Last night I just decided to create the new character I was thinking about to give it a trial run. It was kinda weird. I sided with Cobb and I killed Ringo in cold blood. Then I found I didn't have the barter, speech, or medicine checks to convince either Doc Mitchell or the store owner from helping the Powder Gangers. So I tried to pickpocket Mitchell and he caught me. I ended up putting a bullet between his eyes and stealing the spare supplies anyway. I then proceeded to kill the store owner but I couldn't loot any supplies or anything, so I went back to Cobb.

Then they proceeded to kill everyone in the town and I helped shoot the dog to death. I felt like total crap after that. I don't know, it's not so much that I don't enjoy playing an evil character, but there's something about this sort of "evil" activity which is a total turn off to me. I didn't really feel that it was something worthwhile or that I had accomplished anything. Helping a bunch of random convicts to kill a merchant and then wipe out a town is pretty low even for an "evil" guy.

I might have to reconsider the characters role in the world and what I really want to accomplish. I really want to get to know the Legion more and get acquainted with their quests and what their faction offers in this second playthrough, but I don't think I want to deal with the Powder Gangers. If I do side with these guys, it'll probably have to be a character who is insane and loves to just randomly blow shit up and cause general chaos with no qualms about any sort of logic whatsoever.

I'm starting to see why the Legion crucifies all the Gangers instead of working with them... :lol

Jerk

Banned
duckroll said:
Last night I just decided to create the new character I was thinking about to give it a trial run. It was kinda weird. I sided with Cobb and I killed Ringo in cold blood. Then I found I didn't have the barter, speech, or medicine checks to convince either Doc Mitchell or the store owner from helping the Powder Gangers. So I tried to pickpocket Mitchell and he caught me. I ended up putting a bullet between his eyes and stealing the spare supplies anyway. I then proceeded to kill the store owner but I couldn't loot any supplies or anything, so I went back to Cobb.

Then they proceeded to kill everyone in the town and I helped shoot the dog to death. I felt like total crap after that. I don't know, it's not so much that I don't enjoy playing an evil character, but there's something about this sort of "evil" activity which is a total turn off to me. I didn't really feel that it was something worthwhile or that I had accomplished anything. Helping a bunch of random convicts to kill a merchant and then wipe out a town is pretty low even for an "evil" guy.

I might have to reconsider the characters role in the world and what I really want to accomplish. I really want to get to know the Legion more and get acquainted with their quests and what their faction offers in this second playthrough, but I don't think I want to deal with the Powder Gangers. If I do side with these guys, it'll probably have to be a character who is insane and loves to just randomly blow shit up and cause general chaos with no qualms about any sort of logic whatsoever.

I'm starting to see why the Legion crucifies all the Gangers instead of working with them... :lol

You sound like someone I know. He is crazy as well...

Shinjitsu

Banned
Wallach said:
Well, this game is more like the older Fallout games in that it is rather impossible to make a "maxed out" character in any regard. You need to decide how you want to *generally* play the game and lean all of your stat and skill choices in that direction. Jack-of-all-trades in these games are masters of shallow graves and unsatisfying conclusions.

Yeah, Fallout 3s system was a train wreck to me because all it did was basically encourage you to max out everything. New Vegas's system is much better in that regard. It seems pretty impossible to maxout all your skills and special stats.

NoRéN

GhostRidah said:
WTF!!!!!
:lol
Why do you think that?

Zeke

so I've been exploring like crazy finding loot and selling it to get caps not doing too bad caps wise. I think I explored a tad too much I've got a ton of quests that I haven't even touched now. I have a few NCR quests, Freeside quests, main story, and a few other quests. The main reason I haven't done a lot of them is I still feel very under powered only at lvl 7 or 8. I've been killed numerous times by 3 on 1 attacks from powder gangers and fiends. I also feel my weapons are a bit weak. I've been using the cowboy repeater since it packs the most punch. I've yet to find a sniper rifle too that was my main gun in FO3. Sniper rifle + high sneak lvl + ninja perk was godly in FO3. I was taking mutants down with single head shots, after I got that Chinese cammo in FO3 I was unstoppable. My god the prices from those gun runners are insane! Also am I the only one that prefers to travel and do missions at night?

pilonv1

duckroll said:

I find it's much more fun to be an annoying dick than outright evil.

telling the girl that Mr Cuddles is dead
or
Telling the guy in the dino gift shop that you shot the inkeeper "because you felt like it".

Having high speech is so awesome.

duckroll

pilonv1 said:
I find it's much more fun to be an annoying dick than outright evil.

telling the girl that Mr Cuddles is dead
or
Telling the guy in the dino gift shop that you shot the inkeeper "because you felt like it".

Having high speech is so awesome.

Well my plan for this character isn't to be "outright evil". Instead she's a tough mercenary type character who is good with guns, survival skills, and repair. I intend on making a solo run with no companions, and to try and gain as much respect and favor in Legion as possible as a woman.

My mistake was trying to start off by simply being evil, which is a mistake. She's definitely going to have a mean streak, and won't help people as much as the last guy did. I plan on doing quests which feel "worthy" to the character instead of something which is just a waste of time. I also plan on killing anyone who does things I disagree with or are weak and unworthy. I guess the Powder Gangers and the Great Khans will probably get wiped out by me in this playthrough.

Nose Master

It's pretty hard to be an asshole in this game. You piss off the NCR, and you'll be getting shot in the face in 1/3 of the locations. Piss off a town, and there go the shops and future quests, possibly also make the entire town hostile towards you. Touchy fuckers, too. I
murdered a ghoul with a lazy eye, and the town was ready to torch me. Fry up a whole camp of NCR with a giant laser? "I dunno about you." :lol

duckroll said:
y mistake was trying to start off by simply being evil, which is a mistake.
That's the thing. No one is just evil, you always need to have some motivation or basis for action. If you are just evil then shoot every person you meet in the face, which makes things rather boring.

The invisible walls in this game suck. I'm trying to walk up a mountain to get to a quest when I just hit a wall. Now I've got to wander around until I find the path the game actually wants me to take.

EDIT: I have to say I'm not fond of the faction stuff either. I was doing a quest where
I'm supposed to rescue some prisoners from the Legion after they murdered nearly a whole town and kidnapped some people, so I show up, try to free them and the Legion starts shooting me so I kill them. Then I get a message that says basically everyone thinks I'm a bad guy now. What the fuck?

Top Bottom