• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Fredescu

SlipperySlope said:
You can skip the quest entirely with
Confirmed Bachelor :)
How much of it do you skip? Would that mean missing out on the
space suit
unless you knew about it?

SlipperySlope said:
Is that perk actually useful in this game? I remember it being a waste of a perk in F3.
I don't know about "useful". It saves you some caps here and there, but caps are no big deal. It can be pretty funny though. It adds a lot more funny than wild wasteland.

Fredescu said:
How much of it do you skip? Would that mean missing out on the
space suit
unless you knew about it?

I don't know about "useful". It saves you some caps here and there, but caps are no big deal. It can be pretty funny though. It adds a lot more funny than wild wasteland.

You skip it entirely. As in the guard says don't worry about it and just tells you where to go next. Although he still asks if you want the quest anyway but now it's an optional quest. I completed it as an optional quest. I didn't have a companion, and the
Nightkins
are a pain in the fucking ass solo.

What makes them hard are the narrow corridors, they're fast, they hit hard, and can take a beating. You just can't avoid their attacks. It's mostly a waste of ammo.

Edit - Unless you use a Stealboy. But stealthboys just aren't fun to me.

Edit 2 - And the jailer is a motherfucker.

KAP151

Do your companions weapon damage count towards achievements?

IE, If I give Boone a Laser/Plasma does the damage he causes count towards 'Blast Mastery'

Dresden

So I got back home tonight with the full intention of doing Legion quests to see what it's like... but it feels so wrong. Ewww. Oh well, ave, hail kaisar.

Raxus

SlipperySlope said:
You skip it entirely. As in the guard says don't worry about it and just tells you where to go next. Although he still asks if you want the quest anyway but now it's an optional quest. I completed it as an optional quest. I didn't have a companion, and the
Nightkins
are a pain in the fucking ass solo.

What makes them hard are the narrow corridors, they're fast, they hit hard, and can take a beating. You just can't avoid their attacks. It's mostly a waste of ammo.

Edit - Unless you use a Stealboy. But stealthboys just aren't fun to me.

Edit 2 - And the jailer is a motherfucker.
Everything about that mission sucks. Night kins, fetch quests, never ending objectives if you want to save 'everyone'. By the end of the quest I just wanted to
blow up the god damn rockets
. Douchebags, make ME run halfway around the globe...

Kyoufu

I want to pick this game up. Questions though:

1) I didn't like Oblivion or Fallout 3. Obsidoes what Bethesdon't with this?

2) Which mods do I get to increase weight (didn't like the inventory limit on the console version) and visually enhance this game so that it doesn't look like total ass?

Raxus

Kyoufu said:
I want to pick this game up. Questions though:

1) I didn't like Oblivion or Fallout 3. Obsidoes what Bethesdon't with this?

2) Which mods do I get to increase weight (didn't like the inventory limit on the console version) and visually enhance this game so that it doesn't look like total ass?
Difficulty is balanced out and no longer lol easy mode the first game was after the first few levels Books got nerfed, so did perks which are now awarded every other level, bobbleheads are no more. Enemies that should be difficult, are. Besides that I dunno what else could entice you to the game I am afraid.

Pennywise

Dresden said:
So I got back home tonight with the full intention of doing Legion quests to see what it's like... but it feels so wrong. Ewww. Oh well, ave, hail kaisar.
Maybe you should just take a walk over the strip and see all those vomiting RNK soldiers , who should be keeping this place safe to feel better about it D:

NoRéN

Dresden said:
Same for me. I don't know if i can bring myself to siding with Caesar.

So, I finished the game.
What i got from it is that
You can't help everyone, no matter how hard you try.

I think we might get some music DLC in the form of Christmas tunes. Like a "Very Merry Fallout" or something.lol

When Mr. New Vegas says he has a holiday collection on Holotube..........I think it might be a DLC clue.

NoRéN

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I think we might get some music DLC in the form of Christmas tunes. Like a "Very Merry Fallout" or something.lol

When Mr. New Vegas says he has a holiday collection on Holotube..........I think it might be a DLC clue.
that would be cool. It would also be cool if as a prize for passing the game on Hardcore, you unlock GNR and all its musical greatness.

stupei

BlueTsunami said:
This seems to be the general consensus. With Fallout 3 it seems like the awesome begins from the outset, the world is your oyster but with New Vegas it requires a bit of a slow burn. It became awesome for me once I got to the Gun Runners and was able to really deck myself out.

Exactly the opposite for me, actually.

I found Megaton kind of dull but in my first play through of FO3 it felt like most of the other areas in the wasteland were balanced just to kick my ass if I ventured too far away from the early quest sets. New Vegas makes it possible for you to travel a lot more ground right from the beginning by providing you with roads that are relatively safe to traverse. Makes it easy to do a charisma build character and get to new towns to actually try to talk your way through shit right at the get go.

stupei said:
Exactly the opposite for me, actually.

I found Megaton kind of dull but in my first play through of FO3 it felt like most of the other areas in the wasteland were balanced just to kick my ass if I ventured too far away from the early quest sets. New Vegas makes it possible for you to travel a lot more ground right from the beginning by providing you with roads that are relatively safe to traverse. Makes it easy to do a charisma build character and get to new towns to actually try to talk your way through shit right at the get go.

This. NV seems more logical to me. I had a really hard time trying to get into fallout 3 also, there were parts I liked about it but story/setting wise I like this much more.

Zeliard

I think NV offers a much better sense of place. I've lived in the DC area nearly my entire life (and have worked in DC for a while) and Fallout 3 didn't particularly feel like it to me. With a few exceptions, those ruins could have been located anywhere.

NV, on the other hand, actually feels like a fucked up Nevada/Vegas.

ezekial45

Banned
Anyone else keep "losing" Veronica?

I just finished her companion quest and gave her some power, and she just vanished when i fast traveled. Earlier, it happened when i went to the Mormon place in freeside.

I'm on the 360 version btw.

Pennywise

ezekial45 said:

I just finished her companion quest and gave her some power, and she just vanished when i fast traveled. Earlier, it happened when i went to the Mormon place in freeside.

No problems at all with her and played nearly the entire game with her now.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
ezekial45 said:

She disappeared on me once and I tried looking for her at a place I was formerly. I had to revert to an early save. It sucks but I have to constantly keep an eye on my companions 'cause this does seem to happen to some (missing companions). The worst thing that can happen is the companion will go missing but the game will still "see" them and you can't gain another companion.

ezekial45

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
She disappeared on me once and I tried looking for her at a place I was formerly. I had to revert to an early save. It sucks but I have to constantly keep an eye on my companions 'cause this does seem to happen to some (missing companions). The worst thing that can happen is the companion will go missing but the game will still "see" them and you can't gain another companion.

Pennywise said:
No problems at all with her and played nearly the entire game with her now.

Nevermind, i got it. Theres a bug with Gibson's shack on the console version. After examining the terminal in the shack, it causes this bug to make her vanish and/or stop following you.

To solve it, you have to go back and examine it again.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
ezekial45 said:

Companions seem to do this all the time. Once Rex stopped following me out of nowhere and I found him on the 4th level of a vault I'd never been to :lol

Raxus

Worst feeling in the world
Give Arcade Gannon into slavery and get is ending. I just wanted to skip the quest and get done with the Legion quests but god damn :(

Anybody else playing this and that it for weeks like I have, around 36 hrs in and played maybe five or six main quests. I haven't touched any other game

I lose all the god damned companions. Some NPCs even comment on how they are here but they're just not visible. I have the perks for a couple still.

Great pics for the sandstorm. Is there a hotkey for taking screens?

Shinjitsu

Banned
dreamer3kx said:
Anybody else playing this and that it for weeks like I have, around 36 hrs in and played maybe five or six main quests. I haven't touched any other game

The game hasn't been out for weeks.

Dresden

Spoilers for Render Unto Caesar:

What the hell, I just performed brain surgery--and succeeded--by trusting my 10 luck. I was ten points short of the 75 medicine needed to actually perform it normally. :lol

NoRéN

dreamer3kx said:
Same here. Nothing but New Vegas for me. I've put 60 + hours into it since launch.

demolitio

The sky in those pics is from a mod called Western Sky I believe. I've been using it along with a lot of other mods and and that mod has been my favorite. The clouds don't move, but it adds so much to the scene compared to the vanilla clouds. The only gripe I have with it is that you can see the line where the skybox ends sometimes, but it's only when you're on like the highest mountain. Otherwise it's just pure beauty.

This game will have a great lifespan with these mods. I saw one today that's working on adding the Enclave with their own quests though it's nothing too big yet. A month from now I'm sure I'll be raving about other mods that drastically change things.

NoRéN

MrBelmontvedere said:
same here. 30+ hours in so far and I can tell I've still got a long way to go.
I know there are still so many quests I did not do. From what I've seen here, I did not get Veronica or arcade as companions. And, on level 30 I got the explored perk just for kicks, so many places unexplored. I got 2 snowglobes only.

Arde5643

Raxus said:
Worst feeling in the world
Give Arcade Gannon into slavery and get is ending. I just wanted to skip the quest and get done with the Legion quests but god damn :(
Game's definitely got really good writing.

The dialogue in Nipton with the guy in the dog headdress when
you say "your actions are unforgivable". The way he just arrogantly threatened you to attack him knowing full well that at this point, you really almost have no chance in surviving with just ED-E as a companion against them.

That scene actually got me really pissed off at Legion because of their arrogance and cruelty.

Some random reasons why I love this game so much:

- Looting is so much fun
- Quirkiness of dialogue and characters
- Freedom
- Weapons are nicely modeled and aiming down the sight is a VERY welcome addition
- Perks
- INSANE amout of content

Yes, the Fallout virus has me again. Going in with no hype probably helped a bit though.

That said the thing that pisses me off most is the tech. I'm not even talking about the myriad of bugs but the fact that they ship the game with an ancient engine that STILL runs like shit on consoles. 4xAA is kinda nice on 360, but fix the goddamn stuttering/tearing/loading (memory leak).

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I introduced this game to one of my friends who has never played a CRPG in his entire life. Only JRPG's and console games. It is now 1:20am and he has been playing since 5:30pm :lol

Zeliard

_tetsuo_ said:
I introduced this game to one of my friends who has never played a CRPG in his entire life. Only JRPG's and console games. It is now 1:20am and he has been playing since 5:30pm :lol

That just opens the door to introduce him to even more greatness.

MickeyKnox said:
FalloutNV-2010-10-30-21-54-41-05.jpg

Epic pic is epic.

ohhh man. WTF!?
My most recent save seems stuffed, whenever I try to load it the game crashes.
It's like 5 hours lost. :(
Anyone know if the game stores more than 1 Autosave file?

Found a fix. Just in case anyone else stumbles onto this problem.
"How Can I Recover My Saved Data From QuickSave / AutoSave / Etc?"

1. Locate the save files folder -- My Documents\My Games\FalloutNV\Saves
2. Find files that have a *.bak extension. If you cannot see extensions, enable them through these steps.
3. Rename the files with a .bak extension to something without the .bak extension (i.e. "autosave.fos.bak" to "autosave.fos" and then rename your old "autosave.fos" to autosave_old.fos", as they .bak may have your newer data).

Then just load the 2nd oldest autosave file manually in the game. (Do not select continue).

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Zeliard said:
That just opens the door to introduce him to even more greatness.

Ya I told him it was a gateway drug. He said its hard to believe there are rpgs better than this one :lol :lol

NoRéN

Forgot to say thanks for posting them a few pages back. Real cool! :D

So, about to start the game again. This, time, in HArdcore mode. Any tips? I'd appreciate the help.

Dresden

I should have taken a screenshot...

Cass: "What... did you put a plug in his cocktube to make him explode?"

I have no idea where that came from.

Shinjitsu

Banned
NoRéN said:

So, about to start the game again. This, time, in HArdcore mode. Any tips? I'd appreciate the help.

Drink water and eat food. Take any doctors bags you find.

dwebo

Kinda disappointed that a lot of the extra locations don't have much in them besides a star cap and/or some other random trinket. Finding a new place just to then proceed to search around for a tiny object gets old pretty fast. Also, once you've seen one cave area, you've pretty much seen them all. Only you still need to search the whole damn thing for that one special named weapon you probably can't even use proficiently.

After I finally scrounged up the needed number of star caps, I'm not finding much motivation to go to the last dozen or so unvisited locations (picked up Explorer perk at 30). If you just follow the story quests and pick up the side quests along the way, you'll visit pretty much all the places worth visiting. And if you're not dumb like me and start collecting star caps at level 26, you'll likely have enough without even needing to randomly explore :lol

NoRéN said:

it's not that different, just keep a close eye on your H20/FOD/SLP/RAD stats. you'll probably die a bit more.

duckroll

Personally, hardcore is the only way I'll ever play this game. It's not even an option as far as I'm concerned. It's not about making the game harder, or adding challenge. It's about playing the game the way it is designed. Hardcore just adds so much to the roleplaying experience it is simply pointless to play without it on. With Hardcore mode on, it gives additional meaning to all food and drink items, and it gives additional meaning to many other items as well (drugs, healing items, etc). The extra layer of immersion and the additional gameplay elements that comes with it add a lot to the game experience and I see no reason to do without it at all.

Top Bottom