• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

lil smoke

Banned
ED-E still lost?

I was hoping that I wasn't dreaming that I read 'map markers' would be added for companions. So that part of the game is still broke?

edit: read the wiki. Serious changes. 25 to 75 for stimpaks? Veronica levels up? LOL this is New Vegas II.

Massa

lil smoke said:
ED-E still lost?

I was hoping that I wasn't dreaming that I read 'map markers' would be added for companions. So that part of the game is still broke?

edit: read the wiki. Serious changes. 25 to 75 for stimpaks? Veronica levels up? LOL this is New Vegas II.

The markers are working fine here. The companions also fast travel with me regardless of where they are so the map is not even necessary.

Wallach

lil smoke said:
ED-E still lost?

Just in case it isn't clear, the "value of Stimpacks" means how much they buy/sell for, not the amount they heal the courier.

Lakitu

st5fu
lil smoke said:
ED-E still lost?

Yeah, E-DE still hasn't returned to me. The map markers only appear in your local map, and as I can't remember where I told him to bugger off back to Lucky 38, I'm screwed.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
was having high speech and high science this satisfying in FALLOUT 3? because i am loving being able to bully people verbally and talk them into anything in NEW VEGAS. it makes me think i need to double back for another FO3 playthrough.

Wallach

beelzebozo said:
was having high speech and high science this satisfying in FALLOUT 3? because i am loving being able to bully people verbally and talk them into anything in NEW VEGAS. it makes me think i need to double back for another FO3 playthrough.

Not as much, no.

Dyno

Yeah, Speech can really take you places in the game and is a big help to get the best possible outcome for many of the quests. Stealth also seems to be improved. I have not found Science or Medicine to be as useful in NV as it was in F3.

Question: I am Level 24 and have just activated the House Always Wins VII. I am allied to Mr. House for the most part...

I've been told this is the last big push to Hoover Dam and that I should settle my affairs. It seems this is the point of no return but I just wanted to ensure with you that it is. How much adventuring is there after this point? It is one more adventure or are there multiples? Can you gain multiple levels after this point? I ask because I want to end the game at Level 30 and want to do what is needed in the Mojave to ensure that. What's a good level to go into Act 3. Many thanks for all replies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
that's a shame. i was really pumped by the notion that there would be a lot of social manipulation opportunities in FO3 that i had just sort of overlooked the first time through. it's one of my favorite things about my time with NV: turning conversations around on someone almost immediately. what's funny is that the speech option often doesn't seem that convincing. like, someone will seem to have a lot of conviction about not letting me do something, i threaten to stick my foot in their ass, and suddenly they change their mind.

how much speech acumen did i need to have to tell someone that i was going to stick my foot in their ass?

the answer is 75 speech acumen for foot insertion threatenation

lil smoke said:
ED-E still lost?

ED-E is still lost for me too, but thanks to the patch I can now actually see his icon on the map near Vault 22. Can't find him though.

Good stuff on that patch, I'm level 13 right now in my first playthrough, I'm really curious as to how this will change stuff. Hopefully it alleviates some crashing, and fixes some annoying quest glitches.

Probably won't buff me enough to take out those damn security gaurd gouls under vault 34 though. But the new batch of HP ammo I bought from the gun runners should help :D

gdt

You know, I haven't experienced very many bugs, at all. I never do though.

(On 360).

The only bugs I've experienced was visual glitches, like my gun floating in the air weirdly if I stand in a certain part, and some hiccups with NPCs.

gdt

hemtae said:
Does anybody know if Boone has been fixed or is he still a complete murder machine?

Yeah, he's wayyyyyyyyyy too strong. Seriously fucking up my mojo :(. Might get rid of him for that girl at the 188 (I think that's the name...).

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
gdt5016 said:
You know, I haven't experienced very many bugs, at all. I never do though.

(On 360).

The only bugs I've experienced was visual glitches, like my gun floating in the air weirdly if I stand in a certain part, and some hiccups with NPCs.

me neither man. the most crazy thing i saw was a radscorpion that warped into the desert and merged with the earth, twitching half in and half out of the ground, like some sort of post apocalyptic mini organic philadelphia experiment

ive just recently started this game on PS3. really loving it so far. i didn't remember exploring abandoned shacks and ruined buildings was this exciting... just soooo good, so many different items to look for etc. and the music is fucking perfect! (ambient music and radios). hardcore mode is also a fantastic addition, really adds to the immersion having to find drinking water and food. really feels like a struggle to survive (well not really a struggle since it's not that hard of a game).

i think i'm about 6-7 hours in and no crashes or glitches yet, but i really don't like how the game stops for 1-2 seconds ALL the time. very irritating. but as long as it doesn't fully freeze and ruin my progress i'm ok. ohh and why are the load screens so fast!? i don't have time to read the tips on the screen! i wish the game loaded indoor areas a bit slower lolz.

btw
Easy Pete got killed by Powder Gangers
, is that bad? did i miss any quests?

Wallach said:
Nope. /Easy Pete

ahh phew, thanks :)

Wallach

astroturfing said:
ive just recently started this game on PS3. really loving it so far. i didn't remember exploring abandoned shacks and ruined buildings was this exciting... just soooo good, so many different items to look for etc. and the music is fucking perfect (both ambient music and radios)! hardcore mode is also a fantastic addition, really adds to the immersion having to find drinking water and food.

i think i'm about 6-7 hours in and no crashes or glitches yet, but i really don't like how the game stops for 1-2 seconds ALL the time. very irritating. but as long as it doesn't fully freeze and ruin my progress i'm ok. ohh and why are the load screens so fast!? i don't have time to read the tips on the screen! i wish the game loaded indoor areas a bit slower lolz.

btw

Nope. /Easy Pete

Dyno said:
Yeah, Speech can really take you places in the game and is a big help to get the best possible outcome for many of the quests. Stealth also seems to be improved. I have not found Science or Medicine to be as useful in NV as it was in F3.

Question: I am Level 24 and have just activated the House Always Wins VII. I am allied to Mr. House for the most part...

I've been told this is the last big push to Hoover Dam and that I should settle my affairs. It seems this is the point of no return but I just wanted to ensure with you that it is. How much adventuring is there after this point? It is one more adventure or are there multiples? Can you gain multiple levels after this point? I ask because I want to end the game at Level 30 and want to do what is needed in the Mojave to ensure that. What's a good level to go into Act 3. Many thanks for all replies.
None whatsoever. Once you finish the quest, you're done. And you won't make it to level 30 on that quest alone. If you do insist on doing it, make sure you make a save before doing so, so you can reload.

Massa

electroshockwave said:
So, how is the PS3 version as far as bugs and stability are concerned?

I had no problems for the first 40 hours or so... now the game crashes a few times every time I sit down to play it. Yesterday it was 4 crashes or so, today I've only played an hour and already had a crash and had to quit and restart the game another time due to the game becoming extremely unresponsive.

It's a fantastic game but I'd only recommend it if you're really interested in it. If you're not at least wait until it's $20, because I doubt these crashes will ever be fixed (I don't think they're fixable to be honest).

Wallach

Jtyettis said:
Noticed as well.

Only thing about it is that it was scoped, and they are using that blue energy graphic more in general (not just elsewhere in the video but for example ED-E can also shoot a blue beam after 1.02), so it could just be something completely new. I'm still betting on a the pulse rifle though (and I hope so because that was one of my favorite weapons). Wouldn't mind seeing the gauss pistol make a comeback either.

Edit - also I still want my unique lever-action shotgun!

Jerk

Banned
astroturfing said:
ive just recently started this game on PS3. really loving it so far. i didn't remember exploring abandoned shacks and ruined buildings was this exciting... just soooo good, so many different items to look for etc. and the music is fucking perfect! (ambient music and radios). hardcore mode is also a fantastic addition, really adds to the immersion having to find drinking water and food. really feels like a struggle to survive (well not really a struggle since it's not that hard of a game).

btw

ahh phew, thanks :)

In the future, when stuff like this happens, the game automatically fails any quests that the character is/could be involved in.

Kurtofan said:
Manhunt style?
How is that manhunt style?
The later heist part is obviously different, but the "you're trapped somewhere with what seem to be psychos - try to escape and you die" seems very Manhunt to me.
But yeah, you're right, at least half of it doesn't seem to be in the same style.

Still, it's not an interesting scenario to me so excuse me for not nutting myself like you guys are. :lol

Dyno

Blue Ninja said:
None whatsoever. Once you finish the quest, you're done. And you won't make it to level 30 on that quest alone. If you do insist on doing it, make sure you make a save before doing so, so you can reload.

Thank you! I'll ramble about the Wasteland finding sidequests until I hit Level 30.

Massa said:
I had no problems for the first 40 hours or so... now the game crashes a few times every time I sit down to play it. Yesterday it was 4 crashes or so, today I've only played an hour and already had a crash and had to quit and restart the game another time due to the game becoming extremely unresponsive.

It's a fantastic game but I'd only recommend it if you're really interested in it. If you're not at least wait until it's $20, because I doubt these crashes will ever be fixed (I don't think they're fixable to be honest).

Sounds just like Fallout 3 where the game gets more broken the further along you are and the larger your save file is. I could get it for £18 now but I suppose I'm not really in a rush to get it as I've got other things to play.

electroshockwave said:
Sounds just like Fallout 3 where the game gets more broken the further along you are and the larger your save file is. I could get it for £18 now but I suppose I'm not really in a rush to get it as I've got other things to play.

yup, my savefile in Fallout 3 on ps3 is 16mb. the game is pretty much unplayable.

isn't it fantastic how a game rewards a thorough, invested player with more crashes and bugs? basically the more you love the game, the more you're punished. fuck.

if New Vegas really turns out to be the same way, i will cry :(

OMG. Boone just lost his shit at Gomorrah and dropped my Vegas Strip reputation into the toilet.

It was a simple encounter. I was caught lock picking a door and was attacked...this has happened before to no ill effect or outcome. But this time? Boone fucking kooked.

Before I knew it, he was killing the Omertas. But it didn't stop there. He stalked from room to room killing gamblers, cashiers and hookers. I watched him as he walked up one of the balconies and unmercifully blew the head off one of the cage dancers hanging from the ceiling. And the face on that poor male hooker crouched in the corner as Boone mechete'd him to death; spine chilling.

The little memo that says "Strip infamy gained" went on for over 20 minutes after the shooting had finally stopped.

Needless to say, I am not even given a sideways glance while on the strip now, but I know that all eyes are constantly on me.

astroturfing said:
yup, my savefile in Fallout 3 on ps3 is 16mb. the game is pretty much unplayable.

isn't it fantastic how a game rewards a thorough, invested player with more crashes and bugs? basically the more you love the game, the more you're punished. fuck.

if New Vegas really turns out to be the same way, i will cry :(

I knew before New Vegas came out. Alpha Protocol really gave away New Vegas before release.
The people who got the game are mistaken, the full title is of the game is
Fallout New Vegas
Alpha ver.

Wallach

fastford58 said:
OMG. Boone just lost his shit at Gomorrah and dropped my Vegas Strip reputation into the toilet.

It was a simple encounter. I was caught lock picking a door and was attacked...this has happened before to no ill effect or outcome. But this time? Boone fucking kooked.

Before I knew it, he was killing the Omertas. But it didn't stop there. He stalked from room to room killing gamblers, cashiers and hookers. I watched him as he walked up one of the balconies and unmercifully blew the head off one of the cage dancers hanging from the ceiling. And the face on that poor male hooker crouched in the corner as Boone mechete'd him to death; spine chilling.

The little memo that says "Strip infamy gained" went on for over 20 minutes after the shooting had finally stopped.

Needless to say, I am not even given a sideways glance while on the strip now, but I know that all eyes are constantly on me.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

gdt

Hmm, I think it finally glitched on me.

I'm trying to do the "I Don't Hurt Anymore" quest, but she won't talk to me!

I talked to her once, told her that guy is dead, then the convo closed out. Now, everytime I try to talk to her she just gives me a short comment, no dialog options.

Help?

gdt5016 said:

I talked to her once, told her that guy is dead, then the convo closed out. Now, everytime I try to talk to her she just gives me a short comment, no dialog options.

Help?

Try talking to one of the guys in the team first (don't remember his name but its the white guy without glasses).

Wallach

gdt5016 said:

Help?

You'll have to console your way around that if you're on PC. That is a bug.

The console command for that quest is "setstage 0015e480 10", where 10 is the first objective. There are five objectives in total so if you do 10, then 20, etc you can force completion of it. If you want to play it more fair you could check the wiki and make sure you'd actually have the required skills to complete it before doing so.

DaBuddaDa

Does anyone know how to turn mouse acceleration off in the PC version? There are code lines floating around the internet that claim they disable it, but when I enter them into my .ini file, nothing changes. I'm running on the most recent patch.

Wallach

DaBuddaDa said:
Does anyone know how to turn mouse acceleration off in the PC version? There are code lines floating around the internet that claim they disable it, but when I enter them into my .ini file, nothing changes. I'm running on the most recent patch.

Which .ini did you edit? For New Vegas it has to be under FalloutPrefs.ini rather than Fallout.ini (which is how it worked in FO3). Also make sure you set it back to read-only after you save it or else Steam will revert it.

gdt

Wallach said:
You'll have to console your way around that if you're on PC. That is a bug.

The console command for that quest is "setstage 0015e480 10", where 10 is the first objective. There are five objectives in total so if you do 10, then 20, etc you can force completion of it. If you want to play it more fair you could check the wiki and make sure you'd actually have the required skills to complete it before doing so.

On 360 :(.

DaBuddaDa

Wallach said:
Which .ini did you edit? For New Vegas it has to be under FalloutPrefs.ini rather than Fallout.ini (which is how it worked in FO3). Also make sure you set it back to read-only after you save it or else Steam will revert it.
I've added the lines to the Fallout_default .ini in the Steam folders, and also to the two .inis in the My Documents folders. So they're in literally every .ini they could possibly be in :lol

I'd fiddled with the read only settings too, trying every combo of readonly/notreadonly there is. Nothing works.

gdt

Saint10118 said:
Try talking to one of the guys in the team first (don't remember his name but its the white guy without glasses).

I tried talking to some of the dudes, no dice. I'll give it another shot though.

Wallach

DaBuddaDa said:
I've added the lines to the Fallout_default .ini in the Steam folders, and also to the two .inis in the My Documents folders. So they're in literally every .ini they could possibly be in :lol

I'd fiddled with the read only settings too, trying every combo of readonly/notreadonly there is. Nothing works.

Oh yeah, they did change it to Fallout_default.ini actually:

*** A fix has been found, you must manually disable vsync (forced on by default now) and you must also copy the acceleration disabling settings to the default ini file in the main directory. Instructions:

go to your Fallout_default.ini file in your steam new vegas folder, and put

fForegroundMouseAccelBase=0
fForegroundMouseAccelTop=0
fForegroundMouseBase=0
fForegroundMouseMult=0

under your controls, and then search for

iPresentInterval

and change it from 1 to 0. ***

I guess the Cowboy repeater VATS glitch wasn't fixed. Good thing I was on a quest with lots of support so I didn't get totally destroyed while I just sat there in vats holding my gun. :lol

you may have saved my life logan, but still fuck you for trying to kill me. I appreciate the sweet cache of loot you dropped when you died though

Lakitu

st5fu
Dead Money looks great. However, I hope I can kill the guy who wants to break into the Sierra Madre and take all the treasure for myself.

Top Bottom