• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

SRG01 said:
Probably answered already, but Dead Money is 360 only, and not Steam, right?
yeah :/ timed exclusive :(

krakov said:
Is there a workaround for the stupid companion AI in dungeons? telling them to be passive in combat doesn't work at all.
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but, I've just put them in wait mode for that stuff.

krakov

MrTroubleMaker said:
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but, I've just put them in wait mode for that stuff.

Yeah that is my current solution, at least they work decently enough when outdoor.

Aaron

MrTroubleMaker said:
AND they have to be far enough from the battle to not come running. This is one flaw that Obsidian really should fix. That and the glitch with ED-E that occasionally changes her to wait without you doing anything.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The problem with the AI command is that when companions are set to Passive all it means is they wont attack first. In tight quarters enemies will sense and attack you from above/below and thus your Passive companion goes on the hunt because combat was initiated.

krakov

water_wendi said:
The problem with the AI command is that when companions are set to Passive all it means is they wont attack first. In tight quarters enemies will sense and attack you from above/below and thus your Passive companion goes on the hunt because combat was initiated.

Yeah I kinda figured it was along these lines. It's the worst when you are above or below a bunch of enemies and ED-E will play the fucking combat jingle ever other second. I don't remember having this problem in Fallout 3, but it was a while ago.

krakov

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
The patch fixed my broken game saves but I've lost my dog. I had him with me before my save file corrupted awhile back.

Have you looked where you first got him? he disappeared for me once and I found him back there.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I've seen a mod which claims to add depth of field, but using it did not add anything. Has anyone succeeded in enabling it? The look of the environment would benefit greatly from it, I think, as the terrain looks pretty ugly at a distance.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
By the way.

I use Nevada Skies and get shit like that:

screenshot6cpls.png

Anyone knows how to fix this? Because the mod is essential.

Aaron

I use Western Skies instead. Like it much more even if it doesn't have weather. The colors are fantastic.

dark10x said:
I've seen a mod which claims to add depth of field, but using it did not add anything. Has anyone succeeded in enabling it? The look of the environment would benefit greatly from it, I think, as the terrain looks pretty ugly at a distance.
Are you installing it properly? I got it to work, but personally didn't like the effect. Made everything a bit blurry for me.

JayDubya

Banned
So, borrowed this from a friend on X360... liking it so far, and I will say that while I hate Oblivion esque level scaling and appreciate areas having powerful monsters, the, uh, I forget their official name, so let's go with... "dire flies" north of Goodsprings are the biggest jump in difficulty I've seen since, uh, Final Fantasy II.

Oh man. 8 levels later with decent armor and 9 strength and a lead pipe and I still can't make a dent in one of those bastards. My Courier tears through mercs and all but the biggest radscorps like nothing (and can take down the bigger ones with effort) but those flies are just insane.

Hardcore mode is nice.

Speaking of which, though, I'm really loaded down for gear; can I safely put my stuff in say, a desk or a big metal trashbin, or will it all be gone when I get back?

Wallach

Dark Stalkers said:
Is it possible to do Arcade's quest earlier in the game?

Depends on what you mean by "earlier." It does require a certain progression in the main story but depending on how you go about it that point may be earlier than others. The fastest route I can think of would be to side with
Yes Man, and you can trigger it as soon as you've installed Yes Man into the Lucky 38 mainframe if you have enough points with Arcade.

subversus

JayDubya said:
Oh man. 8 levels later with decent armor and 9 strength and a lead pipe and I still can't make a dent in one of those bastards. My Courier tears through mercs and all but the biggest radscorps like nothing (and can take down the bigger ones with effort) but those flies are just insane.

They're called Cazadores. I make my melee companion fight them, so they focus on her while I roasting them with a plasma/laser rifle.

Wallach

JayDubya said:
Speaking of which, though, I'm really loaded down for gear; can I safely put my stuff in say, a desk or a big metal trashbin, or will it all be gone when I get back?

This actually depends on the container you put it in. If it's a "public" container, it will reset if the cell is not visited after a certain time and sandbox NPCs will absolutely access it and go through your shit (taking whatever their script tells them is a good idea, like weapon/armor upgrades).

My suggestion is to always use the dropboxes (which are not usable by NPCs) so that the container is accessible from multiple locations until you get a permanent home base to more safely store items.

JayDubya

Banned
Cliff racers were relatively easy to kill.

The... Cazadores? They are not.

I'm guessing I need Power Armor and a Super Sledge to stand with them in melee... that and a lot more hit points.

Wallach said:
This actually depends on the container you put it in. If it's a "public" container, it will reset if the cell is not visited after a certain time and sandbox NPCs will absolutely access it and go through your shit (taking whatever their script tells them is a good idea, like weapon/armor upgrades).

My suggestion is to always use the dropboxes (which are not usable by NPCs) so that the container is accessible from multiple locations until you get a permanent home base to more safely store items.

Is the room you can rent in Novac effectively a permanent storage area, safe to keep stuff in? I'll give the lady the 100 caps if I can dump all this extra steak and water and ammo somewhere.

Kurtofan

JayDubya said:
So, borrowed this from a friend on X360... liking it so far, and I will say that while I hate Oblivion esque level scaling and appreciate areas having powerful monsters, the, uh, I forget their official name, so let's go with... "dire flies" north of Goodsprings are the biggest jump in difficulty I've seen since, uh, Final Fantasy II.

That's because you're trying to go the hard road.
You can take a detour through the south road(technically the first quest advises you to go there)

Though to be fair I ran like a maniac and ended up in New Vegas early in my first playthrough.
I was like wtf is going on? when I
met Benny

Wallach

JayDubya said:
Cliff racers were relatively easy to kill.

The... Cazadores? They are not.

I'm guessing I need Power Armor and a Super Sledge to stand with them in melee... that and a lot more hit points.

Cazadores are dangerous in melee for sure. One thing that will help in melee is the Super Slam perk, which will make it harder for them to fight back whenever that triggers. If you get in deep with them, don't bother trying to flee unless you take out their wings first. They're much faster than you are if they can still fly.

JayDubya said:
Is the room you can rent in Novac effectively a permanent storage area, safe to keep stuff in? I'll give the lady the 100 caps if I can dump all this extra steak and water and ammo somewhere.

Yes, the Novac motel room is safe in my experience.

subversus

I don't know why people have so many issues with them. If your character is ranged they don't impose much threat especially when they come in pairs.

I almost killed the pair near Goodspings when I was level 2. I kept running backwards with my laser pistol until the last fly had like 2 points. Then I was out of ammo :lol

JayDubya

Banned
Kurtofan said:
That's because you're trying to go the hard road.

Well yeah. You weren't supposed to go that other way in FF2 either; the only trouble is that since the death zone is so close to the starting zone and so readily reachable, and no one really says not to go north... well... anyway, I reloaded and know not to go there.

Every so often when I get a new bit of armor or a new weapon I save and then try to take them on again. :lol

subversus

JayDubya said:

and some anti-venom drug. I used one on my first run, I don't remember where I got it.

Kurtofan

subversus said:
I don't know why people have so many issues with them. If your character is ranged they don't impose much threat especially when they come in pairs.

I almost killed the pair near Goodspings when I was level 2. I kept running backwards with my laser pistol until the last fly had like 2 points. Then I was out of ammo :lol
In pairs?In pairs of six you mean.
I made the mistake to go in a bootleg beer cabin( not sure if that's the right name) and when I was done looting the place, a fucking pack of deadly Cazador spawned right before the place.

I really liked the Cazadore Death Zone they put North of Goodsprings. It's like Obsidian was saying, "fuck you, you aren't getting there THAT easy!"

JayDubya

Banned
I think I'll be able to recruit this Boone guy soon and I remember that everyone said he owns face so hopefully that'll help a lot. I'm also close-ish to being able to repair that robot in Primm.

disappeared said:
I really liked the Cazadore Death Zone they put North of Goodsprings. It's like Obsidian was saying, "fuck you, you aren't getting there THAT easy!"

Well yeah. :lol None shall pass.

subversus

Kurtofan said:
In pairs?In pairs of six you mean.

I met them in such quantities in mountains only. There's a path between the Great Khans settlement and Jacobstown. I killed like 50 of them going that way. I was level 15-16.

subversus

by the way I'd wrote a post of how awesome this game is but then there was a spike in electricity grid and I lost it.

To recap:

I accidentally completed They Went A-Way on level 3. I crawled past Deathclaws to Repconn using my stealth boy. Then I visited New Vegas briefly and went exploring lands on east (
ook a quest from McGraphs to bring them my compaion from the first game :lol
). I found
Outpost 188
and recruited
Veronica
there. What was awesome is that I wanted to recruit my companion early and wanted to recruit Veronica particularly since I heard that the actress from Dr. Horrible's Blog lent her voice. I made an intelligent character and this allowed me to recruit her more easily since there was a dialogue option for high intelligence.

Then we went further east. And I found
Boulder Town
:lol I decided to help NCR there and as some of you know Great Khans could be a part of the main storyline. I didn't expected this!
So they told me about the platinum chip and where Benny is even though my character couldn't know who is Benny and what is the platinum chip by that time
. I think that Obsidian should have had more time to fix such loose ends but it was so fun that I didn't really care.

So I level up two more levels at once and go with
Veronica
to Repconn. There I learned that she actually can wear a power armor thus becoming an invincible tank :lol I was level 5 at the moment.

I won't go further but I managed to complete The Black Mountain quest at level 8 or 9 using energy weapons and my tank companion.

I haven't visited south yet which was my main playground during the first run. I explore north and about 70% of locations and quests I've found are new to me. That's so awesome. I could've accessed The Strip at level 6 or 7 but haven't bothered with it.

disappeared said:

Fucking cazadores are my worst fucking nightmare. I'd almost rather see a fucking Deathclaw than those bastards. Hate those fuckers so much. SO MUCH. And that was even when I was goddamn level 30 Superman. Now that I'm replaying the game, I can't imagine how much I'm going to hate those bastards again.

Aaron

Skiptastic said:
Fucking cazadores are my worst fucking nightmare. I'd almost rather see a fucking Deathclaw than those bastards. Hate those fuckers so much. SO MUCH. And that was even when I was goddamn level 30 Superman. Now that I'm replaying the game, I can't imagine how much I'm going to hate those bastards again.
At least Deathclaws you see coming. These guys come out of nowhere for me, and since I'm playing on hard, tear straight through my power armor like paper. They're no cliff racers though since they appear only in a few areas, thankfully.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Cazadores are easy to spot. See those red marks on your compass moving around a million miles per hour? Those are cazadores. Dont go any further unless you are prepared :lol

Aaron

water_wendi said:
Cazadores are easy to spot. See those red marks on your compass moving around a million miles per hour? Those are cazadores. Dont go any further unless you are prepared :lol
My perception is kind of low, so I only spot them when my companions suddenly freak out. Then I have maybe one shot before they're right in my face.

saunderez

ElyrionX said:
Any word on how the game runs on the 360 post patch? I've been holding off on it hoping for a better experience after patches.
I re-rolled and played a couple of hours, had no freezes or glitches. It's a bit early to tell though, I never had any real problems until 20+ hours in the last play through.

subversus

I see why I never had problems with them. I had agility maxed out + fast reloading on the first run so I could run and reload fast. And now I have perception almost maxed out which helps me spoting them and killing with energy weapons. Their poison is the only dangerous thing because it can kill your companion even after the battle.

tokkun

I didn't have much trouble with Cazadores. VATS shot to the wing cripples them, then just blast them once more when they're on the ground.

Top Bottom