• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

dexterslu

sweet just added it!

anyone else having issues adding points to their accounts? I tried this morning and for some reason it wouldn't let me..

dexterslu said:
sweet just added it!

anyone else having issues adding points to their accounts? I tried this morning and for some reason it wouldn't let me..
I just added 1000 points so that I could get BFBC2 Vietnam, and I had no problems.

krakov

Hey guys I'm going for a Melee/unarmed build with energy weapons, guns and explosives, also sneaky and with every other skill maxed out. Next time maybe I'll try this build again.

hemtae said:
personally I hate Czardores because they move so fast, I can't get a sneak attack critical on them to save my life

I hate them because they seem to kill my party members in 1 hit.

Just made my way to the Hidden Valley gleeful that I'd soon be getting some power armour after what I assumed would be a few dialogue trees and kill monster x quests... Things didn't quite go to plan.

Varna

Wallach said:
Well, it will slowly trend us towards being able to create power characters for one. I don't care for it either.

Let's not kid ourselves. New Vegas is not all that different from Fallout 3 in that regard. You can already create god like characters and there is still and over abundance of skill points. Comprehension means you can pretty much have a character that can have 100% on most skills at any given moment.

Why didn't Obsidian just use a skill system more like Fallout 1/2. 100 is just to low for a game were you get so many points. Difficulty should have also effected requirements.

Wallach

Varna said:
Let's not kid ourselves. New Vegas is not all that different from Fallout 3 in that regard. You can already create god like characters and there is still and over abundance of skill points. Comprehension means you can pretty much have a character that can have 100% on most skills at any given moment.

Why didn't Obsidian just use a skill system more like Fallout 1/2. 100 is just to low for a game were you get so many points. Difficulty should have also effected requirements.

I would consider New Vegas pretty different in that regard. It still takes 1,300 skill points in total to max all skills (including what you start with) and the maximum amount of skill points you can earn is currently 695. You literally cannot max all of the skills passively, and the slower accumulation means the player makes a much larger number of decisions at lower skill values. I still think it could stand to be slightly lower but it is a vast improvement over Fallout 3 where it is possible to passively max all skills before the character is anywhere close to the level cap in that game.

gdt

Can someone help me with the Control Tower quest at Camp McCarran?

I'm waiting inside, but I don't know what time the culprit will show up.

Wallach

gdt5016 said:

I believe the spy will show up in the tower between like 12:00AM and 2:00AM.

gdt

Wallach said:
I believe the spy will show up in the tower between like 12:00AM and 2:00AM.
Waited the whole thing, nothing.

Oh well, I'll try tonight when I get home from work!

voltron

Anyone know if the time to get get from level 30 - 35 will be greatly increased over the time it takes to get from 25 - 30?

By time I mean XP I guess.

One of my annoyances is how much fucking XP you get just exploring the world. For the amount of XP they give you the level cap always should have been around 50 so that players who actually explore and enjoy the world without main-lining the main quest can still have levels left to reach when doing story stuff.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Holy shit @ Dead Money.

I'm not even going to put it in spoiler quotes, but the party members in it have some very interesting backstories. :D

Anyone know if the time to get get from level 30 - 35 will be greatly increased over the time it takes to get from 25 - 30?

Well, since entering Dead Money, I've gone to almost 32 and I just finished the first "main" quest in there, so....I don't think the XP requirements are greatly increased.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Dark Stalkers said:
Is the DLC any good?

I, at least, am certainly am enjoying it after 3ish hours in, admittedly taking it slow.

All in all, it is similar to the Pitt in that you start with no items, and begin building your way back up by scrounging for items as the story progresses.

So far, the quests have been (IMO) at the level of the New Vegas quests in terms of story progression with additional backstory elements, although it's the usual fetch/delivery missions thus far wrapped up in a heist story.

The companions aren't repeats of the non-DLC ones, (and have beaten Boone as far as personalities go), though none of them start with their own weapons, which makes outfitting them a bit harder, since all companions use ammo for items that aren't their defaults.

The only annoying thing is that on normal difficulty, the only weapons I've been able to get thus far are just soaked up by the enemies, similar to Fallout 3's post-game at level 30+.

I'd recommend bringing a character in with good melee/unarmed skill first, my small guns are running a bit low on ammo trying to make sure every enemy is decapitated.

Also, no new perks for 30-35, at least, from my leveling to 32, which kinda sucks.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm taking a break for the night after playing Dead Money all day. Tomorrow, I will finally
go into the Sierra Madre but not if the Ghost People have anything to do with it.
My character's melee is useless and I've had to revert to handguns mostly like the 9mm or a magnum which is obviously a challenge. It's easily the most challenging section in the game. The whole DLC I've had to be wary, traps everywhere but it really allows for some thinking on your feet, on how you go about a situation. There are so many 'hazards' everywhere.

Also, the town itself, is very very hard to navigate, it's like The Pitt but 20 times worse. Rooftops, alleys, different hazards and traps, Ghost people, courtyards, I found the map to be completely useless for the most part.

I like the characters, and there have been some very interesting choices you've had to make so far. I can't wait to see how it all plays out.

For the content, it's definitely worth 800msp and it's one of the more intense parts of the game.

Whatever's behind the Sierra Madre better be worth all the pain, I'll find out tomorrow. Remember, spoiler tags.

Ledsen

voltron said:

By time I mean XP I guess.

One of my annoyances is how much fucking XP you get just exploring the world. For the amount of XP they give you the level cap always should have been around 50 so that players who actually explore and enjoy the world without main-lining the main quest can still have levels left to reach when doing story stuff.

Use a mod if you're on PC. I use one that raises the XP needed to level by 50%, seems like the sweet spot to me.

edit: lol forgot the DLC is 360 exclusive :lol

Lakitu

st5fu
suEcide said:
Stupid question (as per usual on my part), but, after downloading Dead Money, how do you access it?

Just continue one of your current games, then you'll get the Sierra Madre radio signal appear. All you have to do is just set your quest marker which will have you heading to the Abandoned Brotherhood of Steel bunker.

suEcide

Lakitu said:
Just continue one of your current games, then you'll get the Sierra Madre radio signal appear. All you have to do is just set your quest marker which will have you heading to the Abandoned Brotherhood of Steel bunker.

Ahhh, thank you kindly.

gdt5016 said:

I had a little trouble with this quest too. After a couple tries I resorted to waiting inside the tower. I noticed an NPC tab pop up on my radar and then they entered the building. It was around 1:30am I think.

mujun

Spirit of Jazz said:
I hate them because they seem to kill my party members in 1 hit.

Just made my way to the Hidden Valley gleeful that I'd soon be getting some power armour after what I assumed would be a few dialogue trees and kill monster x quests... Things didn't quite go to plan.

After getting brotherhood armor in with my first two characters, never again :D Hate the shit you have to do to get it. Arcade Gannon all the way!

stupei

Always just done repairs myself but I don't have what I need to fix my armor and it's getting pretty dire. Which NPCs are good for repairs?

mujun

stupei said:
Always just done repairs myself but I don't have what I need to fix my armor and it's getting pretty dire. Which NPCs are good for repairs?

What sort of armor? Repairs are a waste of money (especially at low levels) if you ask me.

stupei

Dark Stalkers said:
Major Knight at the Mojave Outpost

Thanks!

mujun said:
What sort of armor? Repairs are a waste of money (especially at low levels) if you ask me.

Recon armor. Don't want to piss the Brotherhood off (yet) by taking it from them and the Gun Runners didn't have any when I checked.

knitoe

stupei said:
Get the Jury Rigging perk (req lvl 14 & 90 repair) and never have to worry repairing equipment / making money again.

mujun

stupei said:
Thanks!

Recon armor. Don't want to piss the Brotherhood off (yet) by taking it from them and the Gun Runners didn't have any when I checked.

The Gun Runners stock it though it's sort of random and level based. Wait three days to see if they change stock. There are also iirc a couple of suits of it in Camp Golf tents and McCarran tents that you can take karma penalty free. Also try the 188 Trading Outpost.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but could someone help me install the Western Sky mod?

I just got the game thru steam so im not sure if that makes a difference but the "Western_Sky_Beta_3-4.zip" file that I downloaded did not come with any type of readme file so i tried just extracting it to the root game directory and that did nothing, then i tried extracting it to the Data folder, which for me is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\Data

and that also did nothing

any help would be appreciated

zam

DLC is great so far, only thing that bothers me so far is how often God comment. "It's your fault you're here, couldn't leave well enough alone" EVERY 2 MINUTES

Top Bottom