• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Lakitu

st5fu
Re: Dead Money - I
killed Father Elijah and escaped Sierra Madre before my collar was blown off.
Where do I go now? How do I trigger the ending? All I'm doing is running around the place like a lunatic.

Dammit, can't believe I missed free DLC. ><

Sounds like it's good, though, so I'm definitely picking this up sooner rather than later. Exams be damned.

Ponti

SuicideUZI said:
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but could someone help me install the Western Sky mod?

I just got the game thru steam so im not sure if that makes a difference but the "Western_Sky_Beta_3-4.zip" file that I downloaded did not come with any type of readme file so i tried just extracting it to the root game directory and that did nothing, then i tried extracting it to the Data folder, which for me is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\Data

and that also did nothing

any help would be appreciated
Extract the zip some place then copy all the files (Meshes, Texures e.t.c.) into the Data folder. If the mod has a .esp file then copy that to the Data folder as well. Boot up the game and on the launcher click 'Data Files' and make sure the mod is checked (if it had a .esp).

If that mod is a texture replacer you will need to mess around with your archive invalidation file as well to get the game to use the modded ones rather than the default. Not at home so I can't link to it but search the New Vegas nexus for archive invalidation.

Ponti said:
Extract the zip some place then copy all the files (Meshes, Texures e.t.c.) into the Data folder. If the mod has a .esp file then copy that to the Data folder as well. Boot up the game and on the launcher click 'Data Files' and make sure the mod is checked (if it had a .esp).

If that mod is a texture replacer you will need to mess around with your archive invalidation file as well to get the game to use the modded ones rather than the default. Not at home so I can't link to it but search the New Vegas nexus for archive invalidation.

i did all that and found "Fallout_New_Vegas_ArchiveInvalidation_Invalidated-35935-beta.7z" and ran that and it added a "ArchiveInvalidation.txt" to the game directory but the mod still doesn't work, since when are PC mods so hard to get working

Thraktor

I've got a question about unlocking the ability to use power armor:

I've checked a guide which says that, after completing the main quest for the Brotherhood (leaving Elder McNamara in charge), I just talk to McNamara, and he gives me another quest which gives me my power armor ability. Well, I've completed the main Brotherhood quest (as well as all of their other mini-quests), and every time I've gone up to McNamara, he just tells me he's busy. I'm 'Liked' by the Brotherhood, and don't have anything else I can do for them, so I'm not really sure what I'm missing here.

zam

Thraktor said:
I've got a question about unlocking the ability to use power armor:

I've checked a guide which says that, after completing the main quest for the Brotherhood (leaving Elder McNamara in charge), I just talk to McNamara, and he gives me another quest which gives me my power armor ability. Well, I've completed the main Brotherhood quest (as well as all of their other mini-quests), and every time I've gone up to McNamara, he just tells me he's busy. I'm 'Liked' by the Brotherhood, and don't have anything else I can do for them, so I'm not really sure what I'm missing here.
Wait for a while (like a week or so ingame), he should give you a new quest allowing you to
join the brotherhoo of steel
. If that doesn't work advance the main story-line a bit, I waited for a week and he was still busy, I did some quests for the NCR and when I came back he wasn't busy anymore.

A different route to get power armor is to do Arcade's personal quest, no need to wait for a NPC to stop being busy.

How do I find
Elijah?
I got to the vault
and it locked me in and then the game ended with me dying in the vault.
Where do I go? What did I miss?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
CaptainCamerica said:
How do I find
Elijah?
I got to the vault
and it locked me in and then the game ended with me dying in the vault.
Where do I go? What did I miss?

Did you read the
Text for Dean from Sinclair after reading Vera's note? The game warns you not to do that.

The end "slideshow" of Dead Money is very interesting, it has some huge hints about
future DLC.
Can't wait to see what Obsidian does next, so much to play off of.

Oh, and Veronica's perk that you can get afterwords is pretty ridiculous.

Unfortunately, hitting 35 at the very end of Dead Money with no new perks for you as the PC is kinda meh.

zam

Need help with the last (i think?) quest in the DLC.

I got past all the annoying speakers and now I'm at the forcefield door guarded by three holograms. I've turned off two emitters and I blew up some generator thingy and I even jumped down and snagged the turret control password, but I still can't find out how to open the forcefield door. How?

Edit: Nvm, found it :p

Jerk

Banned
SuicideUZI said:
i did all that and found "Fallout_New_Vegas_ArchiveInvalidation_Invalidated-35935-beta.7z" and ran that and it added a "ArchiveInvalidation.txt" to the game directory but the mod still doesn't work, since when are PC mods so hard to get working

Use the Mod Manager. It steamslines AI and gives you more options.

Lakitu

st5fu
What the fuck's wrong with me :lol The exit was right in front of me all that time. Anyway, I liked my ending and liked the DLC. Had some issues, can't be bothered to get into that right now. I'd probably rank it below The Pitt and above Mothership Zeta / Operation Anchorage (though that has much better loot).

Anyway, I'm so glad I got the
Assassin's Suit
So good. :D

hank_tree

Lakitu said:
Re: Dead Money - I
killed Father Elijah and escaped Sierra Madre before my collar was blown off.
Where do I go now? How do I trigger the ending? All I'm doing is running around the place like a lunatic.

I'm also having this problem. Anyone?

Lakitu

st5fu
hank_tree said:
I'm also having this problem. Anyone?

I searched around for a good hour only to realise that the exit was just opposite the entrance to the Sierra Madre :lol I thought for some reason I had to speak to either Christine or God (that's right).

Re DLC: The sense of foreboding was great.

The mentions of Ulysses by Christine and in the ending. Ulysses was in the Big Empty looking for another Courier, I could hazard a guess and say that's our character.

Just checking his wiki and it sums it up nicely. I can't wait for a DLC revolving around him and the reason why he wants to find The Courier.

Check out info on Ulysses here:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Ulysses

Wallach

Jerk 2.0 said:
New perks?

Oooh!!!!!

Yessir. They added I think 7 "standard" perks, though none of them are high level or anything. They are all up on the wiki except for this one (which I will probably go add):

Hobbler
Requires level 12, 7 PER

Increased chance to hit a target's legs in V.A.T.S.

Jerk

Banned
The shotgun one is indeed very nice.

It will go well with my 'weapon's master' character.

Who is currently using:

Knock, Knock
YCS/186
Riot Shotgun
This Machine

I am currently looking for a good pistol and a better melee weapon.

Thraktor

zam said:
Wait for a while (like a week or so ingame), he should give you a new quest allowing you to
join the brotherhoo of steel
. If that doesn't work advance the main story-line a bit, I waited for a week and he was still busy, I did some quests for the NCR and when I came back he wasn't busy anymore.

A different route to get power armor is to do Arcade's personal quest, no need to wait for a NPC to stop being busy.

Thanks. I'd say it's been a good few weeks of game time since I did his quest, but I can't really go directly on in the main story as
the NCR have asked me to take out the Brotherhood of Steel, which I didn't want to do until I'd learnt how to use all the power armor I'd be looting off their corpses
. I guess I'll go find this Arcade guy instead (I was pretty sure I got an achievement for getting all the companions, but I suppose not).

FrankT

Hating the nerfs on my .308 caliber weps. Anyhow, haven't touched the DLC yet just leveling up so far to 32, but it seems the rate is not too bad. Will hit up the Madre once I hit 35.

Edit: Never even realized until after the fact, but got in on that DLC right at the opportune time. :D

Wallach

Jerk 2.0 said:
The shotgun one is indeed very nice.

It will go well with my 'weapon's master' character.

Who is currently using:

Knock, Knock
YCS/186
Riot Shotgun
This Machine

I am currently looking for a good pistol and a better melee weapon.

My personal favorite pistol is the 12.7mm, though the Ranger Sequoia (or the Hunting Revolver) is a close runner-up. The latter weapons are affected by Cowboy and really the Ranger Sequoia has little competition in terms of raw effectiveness with that perk as far as pistols go. I simply love the 12.7mm design and audio, though it has the advantage of a silencer mod which makes it a good gun to keep on hand even with Cowboy.

Melee wise I've always favored the Super Sledge, and there's a unique variant of that called Oh Baby! that I'd consider the most powerful melee weapon currently in the game.

Metroidvania said:
Did you read the
Text for Dean from Sinclair after reading Vera's note? The game warns you not to do that.
The vault closed on me as soon as I walked in
and I think the only way I could of read the text was by being in the vault.

gdt

God, I'm on a roll of just doing quests for the different factions, making moves and deciding their fates :D . I feel my power growing...

36hrs in, LVL 21.

RPGCrazied

Did they ever fix the PS3 bugs? It's been sitting on the shelf until it is. I know they had patches coming, but dunno if they are out yet.

Metroidvania

CaptainCamerica said:
The vault closed on me as soon as I walked in
and I think the only way I could of read the text was by being in the vault.

Hmm.

If you're going through the maintainance hallway, by the time you get to
the vault, there should be a computer on the outside that lets you open it. I was referring to once you're already inside the vault earlier. The vault will open up after you read Vera's text, as long as you don't read the note from Sinclair after that.

Hmm, definitely didn't know about
Ulysses until I saw that wiki link.
I think it's really awesome how Obsidian has been putting in little hints like that for their DLC, really lets people dig for it.

Nose Master

OK, this is driving me crazy. Where is the
second hologram
(Dean's first? portion of Dead Money)?
I can see the hole in the wall (where I assume it is, by the marker), but have no clue how to get to it. The path on the shingles is blocked cause the porch has a board in the way. I'm just bumbling around in the fog like an idiot.

Ledsen

RPGCrazied said:
Did they ever fix the PS3 bugs? It's been sitting on the shelf until it is. I know they had patches coming, but dunno if they are out yet.

A new patch was recently released, but tons of bugs are left and all of them will never be fixed, this is Bethesda/Obsidian after all. Just look at Oblivion/Fallout 3 and the hundreds of bugs that have been fixed after the fact by fans.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I'm about 8-10 hours into New Vegas and I just encountered my first companion. So what do I need to know about them? If they die, are they gone for the rest of the game? Can I leave them in a room and travel and play for hours solo and go back and pick them up again? Etc.

Kurtofan

itsinmyveins said:
I'm about 8-10 hours into New Vegas and I just encountered my first companion. So what do I need to know about them? If they die, are they gone for the rest of the game? Can I leave them in a room and travel and play for hours solo and go back and pick them up again? Etc.
Do you play on Hardcore mode?
If you do yes they're gone when they die.If not they'll just go unconscious for a while.

You can tell them to stay somewhere but they still count as being with you.

You can ask them to go away and they'll generally go where you picked them up(unless you ask them to go to a specific place you'll encounter later on), and you'll be able to recruit them again.

Wallach

itsinmyveins said:

- You can have one "humanoid" and one "robotic" companion in your active party at any given time.

- Companions will only die permanently if you are playing on Hardcore. Otherwise, they will be rendered unconscious and will take up after a minute or so after exiting combat status with full health.

- You can leave companions anywhere in the game by simply telling them to wait, or you can remove them from your group by sending them back to their home location, where they will remain until you go back and pick them up as a companion again. Later on you can gain access to another "base" of sorts that you can send them to instead of their default home location. Note that any companion that is set to a wait command is still considered in your active party and you will not be able to recruit another companion of that type until you actually dismiss them. Keep track of your companions if you set them to wait somewhere.

- Any companion will grant you a passive perk while they are considered to be in your "party" and you will lose that perk if you dismiss them (or they die on Hardcore mode).

- Some companions are restricted in terms of what kinds of armor they will equip. For example, Boone will not wear any form of armor that has a faction affiliation unless that faction affiliation is with the NCR. Robotic companions cannot equip any type of armor whatsoever. Note that when you try to place a piece of armor in a companion's inventory, if they are ineligible to equip that item type they will immediately throw it on the ground - it will not go in their inventory. Be careful that you don't lose items this way.

- Companions can equip weapons you place in their inventory but will make choices about what to actually use based on their (hidden) skills. Using Boone as an example again, his Guns skill is the highest weapon skill he has, so any Guns-class weapons you place in his inventory he will consider. Note that all companions come with a default weapon, and that weapon will never run out of ammunition (if it uses ammunition to begin with). Any other weapon you place in their inventory requires ammunition, and they will actively seek out ammunition (and weapons, in fact) in the environment. You may want to check your companions' inventory every now and then to see if they have picked up anything you didn't see yourself.

gdt

Okay, I might've run into a bug.

I'm currently rolling with both Boone and Rex, at the same time. I am a purveyor of death across the Wastleland. Is this supposed to be happening?

Also, I have a problem with the BoS Black Mountain Quest.

I cleared Tabitha out of BM a long time ago, and she gave me her store key (I repaired her robot), now, I need to get to the second floor of the radio room, but I don't have that key :(.

Help?

Side question, I have asked to join the BoS, but I'm not sure if I should. I do really want the Power Armor though....

Wallach

gdt5016 said:
Okay, I might've run into a bug.

I'm currently rolling with both Boone and Rex, at the same time. I am a purveyor of death across the Wastleland. Is this supposed to be happening?

You can have 1 humanoid and 1 robotic companion at a time. That is normal.

gdt5016 said:
Also, I have a problem with the BoS Black Mountain Quest.

I cleared Tabitha out of BM a long time ago, and she gave me her store key (I repaired her robot), now, I need to get to the second floor of the radio room, but I don't have that key :(.

Help?

Side question, I have asked to join the BoS, but I'm not sure if I should. I do really want the Power Armor though....

The key for the second floor is
underneath the staircase to that room in a pile of dirt. You can hack a terminal in the first floor room that gives you that information.

As for the BoS, that is up to you and what kind of alliance you want to make, but there is another way to get access to both power armor and power armor training if you don't want to be their friend.

gdt

Okay, joined the BoS (I want them on my side, anyway) and I have a related question.

I had a bunch of T-51 Power Armor from earlier (finding those recon units for the Brotherhood), but I didn't know it was tagged with the Brotherhood. I had a regular suit, which I used to repair the Brotherhood specific suit, and now I only have a fully repaired Brotherhood T-51 armor, and regular almost done T-49.

Now, I want to wear the better armor, of course, but will my wearing the Brotherhood armor negatively affect future dealings with the NCR? I want to peacefully resolves issues between the two (McNamara seems like he's interested in that), will my wearing Brotherhood armor negate that?

If it does negatively affect me towards the NCR, no big deal, I'll just buy more (non Brotherhood faction) T-51 armor from the lady at the bunker.

gdt

Side question, this is what my ultimate goal is.

Unify all of the applicable factions peacefully, and help the NCR defeat the Legion at the dam. Then, take control of New Vegas for myself.

That's possible, right? Or does helping
NCR defeat the Legion let them take control over New Vegas?

hank_tree

Nose Master said:
OK, this is driving me crazy. Where is the
second hologram
(Dean's first? portion of Dead Money)?
I can see the hole in the wall (where I assume it is, by the marker), but have no clue how to get to it. The path on the shingles is blocked cause the porch has a board in the way. I'm just bumbling around in the fog like an idiot.

You have to go through the cafe. It's a fairly straight path from there.

Hyunkel6

gdt5016 said:
Side question, this is what my ultimate goal is.

Unify all of the applicable factions peacefully, and help the NCR defeat the Legion at the dam. Then, take control of New Vegas for myself.

That's possible, right? Or does helping
NCR defeat the Legion let them take control over New Vegas?
I also went for this ending. It's the "wild card" ending. So satisfying.

gdt

Hyunkel6 said:
I also went for this ending. It's the "wild card" ending. So satisfying.

Yeah, thanks, that's what I want to do. I just thought maybe having
NCR defeat The Legion would let them take New Vegas too

Guess not!

Ricker

ALaz502 said:
Holy mother of Lore Bombs! Seriously. The first two conversations in Dead Money would probably take up 5 full pages of text!

Yep but I read all of it and keep asking questions from stuff I don`t know though hehe,that`s what I like,amongst other stuff of course,about Fallout..and at the 3rd character,it`s even ironic I guess...:D

Loving the DLC so far although I seem to have a hard time heading straight to the marker in this section,it`s a little confusing.

TheUsual

Gold Member
So it looks like I screwed myself over.

I'm working on the mission "For the Republic, Part 2" and I'm at the part where I need to deal with the Brotherhood of Steel. Problem is, I want to have them ally with the NCR, but I've already completed "Still in the Dark" and ousted McNamara and there is no dialog option with Hardin to ally with the NCR. The only option is to destroy the BoS. Also, I completed Veronica's sidequest and had her stay with the BoS. So will she leave me once I destroyed the BoS?

Man, the consequences of actions do add up in this game!

Leckan

Is it confirmed that that you can't add more perks toy your char even when leveled up to 35 with this DLC? That would suck and almost defeat the point.

Metroidvania

Leckan said:
Is it confirmed that that you can't add more perks toy your char even when leveled up to 35 with this DLC? That would suck and almost defeat the point.

No, you do get to pick perks at 32 and 34, as well as stat upgrades at each level 31-35. The "adding" part is from not having new perks for those levels, you still only pick from the same list with one or two new lower-level perks that were patched in.

gdt

I have Boone decked out in total Black Ranger armor, he looks awesome. I'm currently doing some missions in and around The Fort (the Khan one, and the House one specifically), and Boone warned me about taking him in there. I left him behind, but I didn't realize that I'd be clawing my way through there :lol .

Side note, do each of the recruitable characters have missions? I stuck with Boone the whole time, but now I'll switch it up (picked up Veronica, sent her to the 38. I think her mission will have something to do with Elder Elijah).

Is there some way to pick up a companion, and quickly trigger their mission? So I can do them all quickly, then get Boone The Boss again?

Top Bottom