• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Lakitu

st5fu
Seems way too short notice, that would mean next Tuesday and they usually hype up their DLC. I mean I think it was a month between the time Dead Money was announced and released. The same website says they got information from the same source that Mass Effect 2's Arrival comes out the week after on March 29th.

I'm not really sure I believe them.

AkuMifune

Banned
The new DLC will definitely be arriving next week. I traded in New Vegas today because I thought I'd have to wait a couple months and decided to hold out for the full version, and I have shit luck like this.

duckroll

markot said:
Isnt it smarter to release DLC while the game is still fresh and 'hot' >.<? After awhile people lose interest.

If you want to scam audiences with on-disc DLC or stuff cut out of the game on purpose, sure. Making substantial new content which is meaningful and worthwhile takes time. :p

Echoing what others have said, I can't see it being released next week as Beth usually put more effort into making people aware DLC is on the way.

They need to hurry the hell up if they intend to release 2-3 more packs before November.

Laekon

Finally finished this. I went for the NCR and thought the ending was really disappointing. I didn't think the person you kill last would be the end and was totally surprised when I left the area that it was. I had a good time with the game and there is a ton to do but the ending I had was really disappointing.

I originally wanted to be on the Legion side but there are no early quest for them. The game really seemed designed for the player to side with the NCR.

dekjo

Haven't been in the thread in a while, but was thinking it was weird we hadn't heard about any more add-ons this morning so thought I'd come in and ask about it. Didn't we already have Anchorage and the Pitt by this time of year for Fallout 3? I guess hearing these rumors is better than nothing, but was hoping there would be something officially announced by now.

please please PLEASE actually be new DLC next week. the period between Dead Money and now has been WAY too long, especially with absolutely no news outside of some trademarked names.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Laekon said:
Finally finished this. I went for the NCR and thought the ending was really disappointing. I didn't think the person you kill last would be the end and was totally surprised when I left the area that it was. I had a good time with the game and there is a ton to do but the ending I had was really disappointing.

I originally wanted to be on the Legion side but there are no early quest for them. The game really seemed designed for the player to side with the NCR.

the best side is your side, fuck Legion and NCR.

Tanolen

I just want some point lookout quality DLC, a new area to explore, not maze like corridors of every DLC that is not point lookout.

hemtae

Laekon said:

You should be able to do a Legion quest in Nipton. Also,
helping the Dead Sea kill forlorn hope
is a legion quest that should put you firmly in the legion side

saunderez

I don't know if I can make myself buy any of the future DLC. The performance of my game since finishing Dead Money has been absolutely terrible to the point it's detracting from the experience. I don't know if I want to pay to be frustrated with the game running like crap despite my love for the Fallout universe.

duckroll

saunderez said:
I don't know if I can make myself buy any of the future DLC. The performance of my game since finishing Dead Money has been absolutely terrible to the point it's detracting from the experience. I don't know if I want to pay to be frustrated with the game running like crap despite my love for the Fallout universe.

How bad is it? :(

I noticed when I played Dead Money that it seemed to crash a bit more than I remember from the full game, but performance wise it still ran pretty great.

saunderez

duckroll said:
How bad is it? :(

I noticed when I played Dead Money that it seemed to crash a bit more than I remember from the full game, but performance wise it still ran pretty great.
Load times have gotten ridiculous, 1-2 mins+ at all times no matter if I'm fast travelling to the other side of the map or transitioning to the next zone. The framerate has taken a massive hit and movement after loading into a new zone is jerky for 30 secs to 1 minute most times I fast travel.

I know a lot of it has to do with the fact I've done pretty much everything there is to do in the game and my current save must be filled with a lot of information, but my Fallout 3 saves didn't get anywhere near this bad and I played all the DLC on them so I'm not happy at all.

duckroll

saunderez said:
Load times have gotten ridiculous, 1-2 mins+ at all times no matter if I'm fast travelling to the other side of the map or transitioning to the next zone. The framerate has taken a massive hit and movement after loading into a new zone is jerky for 30 secs to 1 minute most times I fast travel.

I know a lot of it has to do with the fact I've done pretty much everything there is to do in the game and my current save must be filled with a lot of information, but my Fallout 3 saves didn't get anywhere near this bad and I played all the DLC on them so I'm not happy at all.

Oh, you're playing on console? Yeah I hear the bloated saves get very problematic on consoles... :(

>_<

mujun

My favorite glitch in Dead Money was the one where every time I loaded a save I died half a second later (right near the end of it too). I thought I was going to have to start from the start again but somehow trying to reload it many many times got it working again.

Still, I love the game so much that I am able to deal with it's bugs.

The Windows 7 support for these games--I'm lumping Fallout 3 and New Vegas together--is terrible. The first time you install and play the game, it's fine, but the launcher will crash every single other time you try to boot the game up unless I manually delete an .ini before trying to launch the game.

brownqk

Excuse my laziness, but I don't want to read through a 238 page thread to find the answer to my question:

Has Obsidian fixed and patched this game yet? I just started Fallout 3 about a week and a half ago and LOVE it. But I don't want to buy another buggy, unplayable game, ala FarCry 2.

Yeef

jaundicejuice said:
The Windows 7 support for these games--I'm lumping Fallout 3 and New Vegas together--is terrible. The first time you install and play the game, it's fine, but the launcher will crash every single other time you try to boot the game up unless I manually delete an .ini before trying to launch the game.
I had no such problems and played the game through on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Yeef said:
I had no such problems and played the game through on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

I can install and play Fallout 3 GotY and Fallout New Vegas just fine for the first time, but every successive playthrough I have to manually delete a different .ini for each game so the launcher won't crash. If I do not delete Fallout.ini for Fallout 3 GotY or FalloutPrefs.ini for New Vegas the launcher will simply crash every time I try to launch the game. Every time, without fail.

Running the Fallout 3 GotY launcher and .exe as admin or in Windows Compatibility for Service Pack 3 allows the game to run, but then Steam is disabled, no overlay, no community features, no tracking of playtime. I can verify the integrity of my local files every single time I want to play the game but that just takes too much damned time. I scoured Google and the Steam forums for a solution, tried a number of different edits and fixes, nothing worked. The only thing that gets the game and Steam running as they should i is deleting that one .ini.

Running the Fallout: New Vegas launcher and .exe as admin or in Windows Compatibility for Service Pack 3 allows the game to run and Steam to partially function, doesn't track my playtime. I just don't have the patience to run through the same battery of hacks/solutions with New Vegas that I did with Fallout 3 GotY, I didn't spend anywhere near as much time trying to find a solution for this when the most expedient solution to get the game and Steam running as they should be is to delete a different .ini.

saunderez said:

duckroll said:
Oh, you're playing on console? Yeah I hear the bloated saves get very problematic on consoles... :(

>_<

Bit late with this, but are you playing on PS3 or 360?

I got vegas for the 360 and after a few hours playing, load times would increase. When that happened I popped back to the dashboard, cleared the cache and loaded it back up. After that load times would be back to normal.

jaundicejuice said:
I can install and play Fallout 3 GotY and Fallout New Vegas just fine for the first time, but every successive playthrough I have to manually delete a different .ini for each game so the launcher won't crash. If I do not delete Fallout.ini for Fallout 3 GotY or FalloutPrefs.ini for New Vegas the launcher will simply crash every time I try to launch the game. Every time, without fail.

Running the Fallout 3 GotY launcher and .exe as admin or in Windows Compatibility for Service Pack 3 allows the game to run, but then Steam is disabled, no overlay, no community features, no tracking of playtime. I can verify the integrity of my local files every single time I want to play the game but that just takes too much damned time. I scoured Google and the Steam forums for a solution, tried a number of different edits and fixes, nothing worked. The only thing that gets the game and Steam running as they should i is deleting that one .ini.

Running the Fallout: New Vegas launcher and .exe as admin or in Windows Compatibility for Service Pack 3 allows the game to run and Steam to partially function, doesn't track my playtime. I just don't have the patience to run through the same battery of hacks/solutions with New Vegas that I did with Fallout 3 GotY, I didn't spend anywhere near as much time trying to find a solution for this when the most expedient solution to get the game and Steam running as they should be is to delete a different .ini.

is your steam in C: program files?

ive never had it there (i always make a games partition) but I hear that can be an issue on win vista and 7, ive ran hundreds of ours of Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion, Morrowind and had no issues on win 7 (outside the gamebyro crashing carnival of fun, but thats par for the course).

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Performance issues on PS3 are getting too obnoxious to ignore... considering the time investment this game represents.

I'd rather have worse IQ (Haha is that even possible) than this ridiculous pop-in... it's ruining the game for me.

The writing is so much better than FO3 but the tech issues are still just as bad.

I guess this is one that should just be played on PC.

Massa

recklessmind said:
Performance issues on PS3 are getting too obnoxious to ignore... considering the time investment this game represents.

I'd rather have worse IQ (Haha is that even possible) than this ridiculous pop-in... it's ruining the game for me.

The writing is so much better than FO3 but the tech issues are still just as bad.

I guess this is one that should just be played on PC.

Hum, I don't remember pop-in getting worse, or being much of an issue at all (just framerate and a few freezes for me). Played about 60 hours or so.

The bugs were annoying but I'm definitely glad I played through this game. PC version is bugged too, the main advantage was being able to work around quest bugs and those were mostly fixed with the patches. What they can't and won't fix is that this engine simply can't handle the game they built on top of it.

nomoment

brownqk said:
Excuse my laziness, but I don't want to read through a 238 page thread to find the answer to my question:

Has Obsidian fixed and patched this game yet? I just started Fallout 3 about a week and a half ago and LOVE it. But I don't want to buy another buggy, unplayable game, ala FarCry 2.
More or less, yes. But even after the final patch, I still get in-game freezes from time to time.

Evolved1

Stallion Free said:
Was this a surprising revelation? I don't think any sane person would recommend any version other than the PC.

I don't know... not everyone has a great PC. And a lot of games (generally) I think are fine on console.

This isn't one of them, imo.

duckroll

recklessmind said:
I don't know... not everyone has a great PC. And a lot of games (generally) I think are fine on console.

This isn't one of them, imo.

That wasn't the point. I think his point was more like, for an Elder Scrolls or Fallout game published by Bethesda, there have been several years of precedence for superior PC versions. Not just in how they run, but also with faster patches, and the advantage of loading mods which can improve the game or fix problems well before they are officially patched.

There's really no reason at all to play the console versions of Bethesda titles unless your PC cannot run the games at all.

If you leave food out at your suite, do your companions eat it?

I ask because I had left out some human flesh on the kitchen table as uhh, decoration, and now it seems to be gone... Wonder who the cannibal is...

Wallach

HadesGigas said:
If you leave food out at your suite, do your companions eat it?

I ask because I had left out some human flesh on the kitchen table as uhh, decoration, and now it seems to be gone... Wonder who the cannibal is...

Yeah, they'll definitely eat it. Don't leave Nuka-Cola out because Boone is an ass and won't make a store run for more.

Haha, Private Halford at Camp Guardian is a moron. I went in and rescued him, healed him up, convinced him to come along with me to clear out the caves. Then we get to one of the cave exits, he decides to leave instead. Weird, but ok. I tell him good luck on his way back to California.

He proceeds to run AWAY from the cave exit right in front of him, deeper into the cave, really fast. I hear gunshots for a while as I try to catch up to him, they stop eventually. Funny enough he died in the same spot all the other soldiers did before him.

Evolved1

duckroll said:
That wasn't the point. I think his point was more like, for an Elder Scrolls or Fallout game published by Bethesda, there have been several years of precedence for superior PC versions. Not just in how they run, but also with faster patches, and the advantage of loading mods which can improve the game or fix problems well before they are officially patched.

There's really no reason at all to play the console versions of Bethesda titles unless your PC cannot run the games at all.

Stallion Free would've had the exact same reply for any game... nevertheless, I see what you're saying.

Unfortunately, my PC can barely run Gaf. haha :(

Speaking of the PC version, I'm planning on cancelling my portal 2 preorder at gamestop and using the funds to get this tomorrow. I have the first DLC on 360 but my system died before I was able to play it. How was it overall? I read the PC gamer review in the most recent issue and they said the story was really good but the gameplay not so much.

kai3345

Banned
Ickman3400 said:
Speaking of the PC version, I'm planning on cancelling my portal 2 preorder at gamestop and using the funds to get this tomorrow. I have the first DLC on 360 but my system died before I was able to play it. How was it overall? I read the PC gamer review in the most recent issue and they said the story was really good but the gameplay not so much.
the gameplay is amazing. so much exploration and different ways to build your character.

The only thing wrong with this game is the amount of bugs it has but other than that I'd say its near perfect

Wallach

Ickman3400 said:

Do you mean the PC version in general or are you asking about the first DLC? Kind of an oddly worded question.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Just finished doing the Legion side of the overall story. That was very fun (
Take that General Oliver, you stand no chance with me and my Ballistic Fist
). In this playthrough, I was at level 28 before I went to the Strip. I remember in my first playthrough, I was there very early on in the game.

So many ways to play this game.

Wallach

Ickman3400 said:
The dlc, sorry. I already played countless hours of the regular game on 360.

Surprisingly I can't help with that, I haven't yet had the time to pick it up. Maybe I should do that tonight, actually.

I know if you go back a ways in this thread there have been some folks talking about what they thought of it. It seems to be generally favorable from what I saw.

ZombieSupaStar said:
is your steam in C: program files?

ive never had it there (i always make a games partition) but I hear that can be an issue on win vista and 7, ive ran hundreds of ours of Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion, Morrowind and had no issues on win 7 (outside the gamebyro crashing carnival of fun, but thats par for the course).

Yeah, I've only got a single terabyte drive currently in my tower and it isn't partitioned. That would hurt my brain if it was that simple a problem/fix.

TheUsual said:
Just finished doing the Legion side of the overall story. That was very fun (
Take that General Oliver, you stand no chance with me and my Ballistic Fist
). In this playthrough, I was at level 28 before I went to the Strip. I remember in my first playthrough, I was there very early on in the game.

So many ways to play this game.

Yeah I love that. I've finished it all 4 different ways and done a pacifist run, and each of them seemed like a totally different game. For example the pacifist run you want to get to Freeside as fast as you can because there are so many quests with diplomatic solutions from that point on, but my gun-toting thief didn't get there until after level 20.

TheUsual

Gold Member
The writing definitely is better in this game. Going back to the Legion's side, I was convinced why Caesar did what he did (his argument against democracy).

Top Bottom