• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Karud

I play it on PS3 and I like the game a lot.

It seems like a working formula:

the longer you play + the more you fasttravel = the earlier your game will freeze

If I restart the console everything seems absolutley fine for another 4-5h until the game starts to slow down again. There is no other game (except Fallout 3) where I manually save so often just to prevent frustation about lost progress.
Long loading times are a pain in the ass as well, the gaming also froze while loading. But I got used to it and look up Fallout facts on the iPad.

Besides the crappy engine the story is one of the best ever. The first 30h I was in favor for F3, but I'm about to change my mind.

The companiens are good, the factions are swell and some quests really make me pause the game and think about my decision.

Maybe I'm the exception, but if it wasn't tucked away in some obscure corner of Freeside, I never fast traveled at all. I just don't see the point - the whole game is about immersion and world building. It's wonderful to walk back and forth around the wastes.

We're still waiting on the slightest of details about the 3 more DLC packs to come. Time is definitely suggesting that they're actually making releases of content (Dead Money was pretty ace... Get it? Gambling metaphor?) and this isn't anywhere close to pre-packaged.... Or extensively planned.

So, it's like actual expansion packs rather than pre-baked DLC.

Who the hell knows when we'll see a GOTY. Fallout 3 took a long time to get one.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
PumpkinPie said:
Are there going to be any DLC packs for this game? I was waiting for a GOTY version but I haven't heard about any extras yet.
One already released (Dead Money) and 3 more are planned. We should hear about the second DLC soon. I expect all packs will be out by the release of ES5 Skyrim.

Got the game cheap for PS3 and started playing today. So far I like it better than Fallout 3, but can't point my finger at why.... I hope the game keeps me entertained until the end, because I never finished Fallout 3 ^^

So what's the GAF's general consensus on Dead Money? Critic reviews haven't been really that good, is it worth the $10 purchase? (PC here)

Note: I really enjoyed the actual game (New Vegas)

gdt

EricHasNoPull said:
So what's the GAF's general consensus on Dead Money? Critic reviews haven't been really that good, is it worth the $10 purchase? (PC here)

It's good. Not mindblowing or anything. BUT, it sets up some sort of arc for the rest of the DLC (that was actually set up in the first few hours of the game), and that sounds positively yummy.

Edit: I kinda didn't like the first part (in the village). Got so sick and tired of the atmosphere there. But the companions are awesome.

EricHasNoPull said:

it was decent. the characters/story are all really well done (just like in the main game, maybe even more so) but there are some annoying design choices that hamper it to me. its completely linear and the fog/beeping collar can frustrate and there is only one new enemy type.

if I were to rank it with the packs from Fallout 3, I would put it 4th or 5th out of the 6 ahead of Mothership Zeta for sure and maybe Operation: Anchorage.

if you want more New Vegas, go for it, its still good regardless but there is definite room for improvement with the upcoming packs.

I got my PC version today and started messing around with mods for the first time really. I use the complete mod with Stalker but I don't really count that.

It's incredibly addictive to say the least. I've browsed the top 100 on newvegasnexus and also took some from the quest area. Anyone have any good mod suggestions? I saw there was a pretty substantial Rust Town mod but I avoided downloading it for now since the author said a big update was coming very soon that would add quests to the area.

Aaron

Ickman3400 said:
I got my PC version today and started messing around with mods for the first time really. I use the complete mod with Stalker but I don't really count that.

It's incredibly addictive to say the least. I've browsed the top 100 on newvegasnexus and also took some from the quest area. Anyone have any good mod suggestions? I saw there was a pretty substantial Rust Town mod but I avoided downloading it for now since the author said a big update was coming very soon that would add quests to the area.
Since you're on nexus anyway, check mods of the month. That should be about everything you want to get started, and after you've played the game for a bit, if you find it lacks something or has something you don't like, there's very likely a mod for it.

kamspy

EricHasNoPull said:

It depends. The dialog and writing are fantastic, but the combat and level design is horrid.

So, yeah. Depends what you like.

Why can't Obsidian hire good QA?

Their CEO HAVE TO FIX THIS.

This crap has plauged all their games. They only forgiveable offering is KOTOR 2 because that was LucasArts, and that's like taking parenting advice from a maniac!

I've put about 10 hours into New Vegas so far, and for my money I think this is a much more enjoyable game than Fallout 3. The ruins of Las Vegas is simply a richer and more fertile ground than the ruins of Washington D.C.

There's just more unique, weird things in New Vegas. Running errands for
a gang of Elvis impersonators whose turf is on the uncivilized fringe of the New Vegas strip and getting a cyborg dog for my troubles
, or helping
a bunch of ghouls blast off into outer space to complete their religious pilgrimage to some radioactive promised land
, I never experienced anything weird or interesting like that in Fallout 3. Granted I blasted through the F3 GotY edition in under 20 hours, but New Vegas just does a better job of leading me off of the main quest path with all of these bread crumbs. I did just get my favor from
The King and can get a pass to gain entry to The Strip
and could continue on with the main quest, but I think I'm going to fuck off into the wilderness and help a town
of Super Mutants and Nightkin deal with some mercs taking potshots at their home

Gileadxv

Banned
I rented this game the week it first came out and really didn't care for it, which was odd since I loved Fallout 3. On a whim, I decided to try it again this week, and now I'm just absolutely in love with it! Obsidian may constantly break my heart with bugs/glitches, but they are among the best in the business when it comes to writing and non-linear game play. The game does a very good job of tempting you to violate your character's ethos as you journey throughout the game. I feel like you're often debating between shades of grey rather than black and white, which creates a far more compelling experience.

Hit 50 hours last night on my Assassin character run through. Out of all the characters I rolled (and never finished) this one is easily my favorite. I've got all the different groups in Vegas loving me, including the NCR. I got the Ranger Combat Armor (on the front of the box), and now I'm tearing around with my sniper rifle. Nobody can see me coming (10 PERCEPTION).

Also, I just met Chief Hanlon at Camp Golf for the first time of any play-through I've done. He's easily the best character in the game I've encountered.

@jaundicejuice: I feel the same way regarding F3. I tried booting it up last week to see if it held up, and while certain parts are good, Vegas just trumps it in almost every way.

I hit the 23 mark last night so I finally started Dead Money. I just finished recruiting the 3 people and am on the next part and I'm kind of enjoying it. I usually hate when RPGs take my gear away but it makes sense for this because I was armed to the teeth thanks to areas added by my mods.

That being said, I'm pretty much armed to the teeth right now with all the stuff I'm finding in the DLC. These ghost guys go down easy, then I just run over and knife them until their limbs come off. I like the special chip system and how you can find special codes for items if you explore good, and the story isn't half bad at all. I take the mute chick with me when I can though because Dog/God and the other guy keep repeating the same 2 lines all the time and it's driving me nuts

Dead Money has to be completed before you complete the main Vegas quest, right? Can I take anything from DM back into the main game with me?

disappeared said:
Dead Money has to be completed before you complete the main Vegas quest, right? Can I take anything from DM back into the main game with me?

The fully modded holorifle is destroying everything in the main game for me.

Sanic

Is it still recommended to download that dll to improve performance? I know it's related to what video card New Vegas detects you have, and my video card is being identified correctly, but I don't think i'm getting quite the type of performance out of the game I should on my PC. With everything maxed out running at 720p i'm only getting 50-60 fps outdoors as opposed to a locked 60+ with a GTX 460, 3.0ghz dual core, and 4 gigs of ram.

edit: everything maxed except AA and AF actually, which are at four and eight respectively.

bigace33

Guys I have this game on PC and have literally only played it like 3 times. I was wondering could I resell this? I have the activation key but I don't know if someone else can activate it since I already have.

TheUsual

Gold Member
bigace33 said:
Guys I have this game on PC and have literally only played it like 3 times. I was wondering could I resell this? I have the activation key but I don't know if someone else can activate it since I already have.
Nope, it's tied to your Steam account.

Sanic

Pandoracell said:
Is it still recommended to download that dll to improve performance? I know it's related to what video card New Vegas detects you have, and my video card is being identified correctly, but I don't think i'm getting quite the type of performance out of the game I should on my PC. With everything maxed out running at 720p i'm only getting 50-60 fps outdoors as opposed to a locked 60+ with a GTX 460, 3.0ghz dual core, and 4 gigs of ram.

edit: everything maxed except AA and AF actually, which are at four and eight respectively.

Anyone? I'm not sure if i'm being limited by my (fairly old) processor or if there is something I could do about this. Roaming around the wasteland is a janky experience :/

Ledsen

Pandoracell said:
Anyone? I'm not sure if i'm being limited by my (fairly old) processor or if there is something I could do about this. Roaming around the wasteland is a janky experience :/

Pretty sure that .dll was made obsolete and useless by the first patch. You should be getting constant 60 fps though. try getting NVSE and NV stutter remover.

Carm

Yea, I no longer need the .dll but the game is unplayable without a stutter remover of some kind. It's pretty unbelievable it hasn't been fixed.

duckroll

KiKaL said:
I just picked this up and was wondering if Dead Money is something I should pick up before or after beating it.

It's something you should consider only after putting a lot of time into this game. The DLC is intended for pretty high level characters, and since the DLCs are meant to be stand alone episodes which have hooks into each other and sort of expand the game in a spinoff short story collection sort of a way, it's best to finish the main game first before worrying about them.

plc268

duckroll said:
It's something you should consider only after putting a lot of time into this game. The DLC is intended for pretty high level characters, and since the DLCs are meant to be stand alone episodes which have hooks into each other and sort of expand the game in a spinoff short story collection sort of a way, it's best to finish the main game first before worrying about them.

Just to add to your point... if you plan on finishing the main game first, make sure you have a save point before the final mission because you can't go back once you finish it.

KiKaL

Okay awesome, I will hold off then. Sounds like Borderlands DLC where you really don't want to touch them until you beat the main game.

Sanic

Ledsen said:
Pretty sure that .dll was made obsolete and useless by the first patch. You should be getting constant 60 fps though. try getting NVSE and NV stutter remover.

Thanks. It's not so much stutter that's the issue, but low and inconsistent framerates. I'll try out stutter remover though.

Proxy

Vigilant Walrus said:
Why can't Obsidian hire good QA?

Their CEO HAVE TO FIX THIS.

This crap has plauged all their games. They only forgiveable offering is KOTOR 2 because that was LucasArts, and that's like taking parenting advice from a maniac!

Usually it's the publisher who hires the QA teams iirc.

Kuraudo

Banned
Finished up Dead Money (which was fantastic for the most part - really worked to Obsidian's strengths). Can someone tell me how the epilogue relates to the start of the game? My long term memory is failing me.

duckroll

Kuraudo said:
Finished up Dead Money (which was fantastic for the most part - really worked to Obsidian's strengths). Can someone tell me how the epilogue relates to the start of the game? My long term memory is failing me.

What... do you mean? I'm confused.

Kuraudo

Banned
Dead Money's epilogue basically sets up the next DLC. I've seen a few people say how the events that it talks about somehow relate to the start of the main game, but I really can't recall anything it might be pertaining to.

duckroll

Kuraudo said:
Dead Money's epilogue basically sets up the next DLC. I've seen a few people say how the events that it talks about somehow relate to the start of the main game, but I really can't recall anything it might be pertaining to.

There's nothing in the epilogue which refers to the main game at all. There are references to main game characters and stuff in Dead Money itself, but nothing in the ending. The shit in the ending are all hooks to the next DLC(s).

Effect

Does the way this game end not make it possible for you to continue playing after it's over? I know they decided to not make it playable after the story is over but was never sure why. If for story reasons or just because.

duckroll

Effect said:
Does the way this game end not make it possible for you to continue playing after it's over? I know they decided to not make it playable after the story is over but was never sure why. If for story reasons or just because.

New Vegas ends like Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 end, with an epilogue which takes the choices you made throughout the game and gives you a rundown on what happens to every major location, faction, and party member well into the future. There is no room for continuing the game after the ending, not without creating very different versions of the game world to account for every single variation.

hemtae

duckroll said:
There's nothing in the epilogue which refers to the main game at all. There are references to main game characters and stuff in Dead Money itself, but nothing in the ending. The shit in the ending are all hooks to the next DLC(s).

I think he's talking about
the two couriers that are mentioned. One is you and the other is the one that the Nash guy in Primm was talking about.

Gileadxv

Banned
I finished the game in a late night gaming session, and overall it was a terrific game. Unfortunately, for the last 1/3 I felt like I was battling the game and not the enemies in the game due to various bugs. Loading times which were initially very quick, became tiresomely long (especially with all the zones you have to load in order to get to your destination). I was also having frustrating issues with my companions disappearing, and occasional issues with VATS when it switched to the cinematic camera. This is really unfortunate because it ultimately kept me from pursuing more quests and experiencing more of the content they worked so hard on.

I do feel the content is better than Fallout 3, and the freedom of choice was liberating, but the ultimate experience becomes weighted down with the technical flotsam. This game also crashed/froze my 360 more times than all of my other games combined!

duckroll

Someone on the Bethesda forums is claiming that next month's Qore will have a preview of "Old World Blues" and it features the tagline "Are you the scientist or the guinea pig?". Also, Chris Avellone's Twitter location was previously "The Big MT" after Dead Money was released, but now he's changed it to "Lonesome Road, the Divide" which implies he's already working on the next part of the DLC series. His Twitter icon has also been changed to this:

9TC8c.jpg

Top Bottom