• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

OnlyWonderBoy

Neo Member
woahjeez said:
You guys are a bit harsh on the amount of bugs in this game. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to QA a game of this scope?
Yeah, I realize it's an ambitious games, but I had way less issues with Fallout 3. It's just annoying more so than anything.

MoxManiac

woahjeez said:
You guys are a bit harsh on the amount of bugs in this game. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to QA a game of this scope?

I don't mind people getting stuck on walls sometimes or walking on thin air, but frequent, game progress killing freezes and NPCs dissapearing completely are unacceptable, no matter what the game's scope is.

duckroll

MoxManiac said:
I don't mind people getting stuck on walls sometimes or walking on thin air, but frequent, game progress killing freezes and NPCs dissapearing completely are unacceptable, no matter what the game's scope is.

Or instantly failing a major main story quest line while progressing in a completely unrelated optional quest just because some scripter flagged the affiliation of one turret wrongly!

Trigunner

Started playing this past week, around 40 hours in; this is the real Fallout 3 (or I guess as close as a non turn-based, non Black Isle developed Fallout goes). I love that they've included tracks from the previous games; the only one missing is the awesome over world theme when you're driving. Returning characters and numerous Fallout 2 references are nice touches (I want talking death claws again). I'm hoping there's more to Wild Wasteland...the few instances I've come across so far aren't as good as the special encounters in the previous titles.

I find the towns kind of blah; they're a definite step up from Fallout 3, but New Vegas is no New Reno. I'm not finding the sense of exploration to be as strong as in Fallout 3. The quests and general atmosphere are closer to the original titles; but, I don't know, the creepiness of the Capital Wasteland and feeling of dread upon entering an abandoned factory are missing for me. Still, I'm having a wonderful experience and there's so much to do; I've been having that overwhelming feeling like when I played the first two games. I haven't touched the story missions yet, and I have a laundry list of quests that need to be completed. I keep telling myself to knock out what I already have but as I go through them, I keep running into new people and areas and the list just keeps growing.

I didn't think I'd want this after going through Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta, but I'm in the mood for some combat and linearity...is Dead Money similar to those DLCs? Can I play it now or is it connected to the main story?

subversus said:
Dead Money is a high-level survival add-on. Not connected to the main story.

Though it seems like the DLCs are going to be at least slightly connected, what with the "Things To Come!" challenge related to all those things you are told about
The Big Empty, The Divide, and the other courrier. Which will be the subjects of the other DLCs after Honest Hearts.

Ledsen

woahjeez said:

I'm not a game developer, I don't care how hard it is. I simply expect my games to work as intended.

Ledsen

daviyoung said:
You expect too much.

I don't know how expecting a game to not be full of crippling, game-breaking bugs is expecting too much. Unless you mean that I should've expected it from Bethesda and Obsidian.

daviyoung

Banned
Yep, I meant the latter. Although I have the 360 version here and didn't encounter any game-breaking bugs at all. Guess I was one of the lucky ones.

daviyoung said:
You expect too much.
Being able to play the game for a hour without a total system freeze is not expecting too much. I don't even care if every NPC in the game clips through walls constantly as long as I can actually play the game.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So a fallout game with the rage engine ( tech 5 ? ) / "skyrim" engine? Or am I just daydreaming...

NBtoaster

Almost certainly the Skyrim engine ("Creation engine"). More experience with the tools (if it's by Bethesda) and being designed for a seemless open world from the outset.

With RAGE you seem to have the map separated into different areas, and baked lighting and shadow so no day-night cycle. Not really suitable.

OnlyWonderBoy

Neo Member
I was reading the Fallout Wiki and found it funny how it was talking about the final boss being relatively tough to kill. Oh, Baby! + 100 Melee + Super Slam = 20 second fight.

Razorskin

----- ------
BobTheFork said:
Being able to play the game for a hour without a total system freeze is not expecting too much. I don't even care if every NPC in the game clips through walls constantly as long as I can actually play the game.

I can't play the ps3 version without it freezing every 45 minutes, it's awful. I had a good 18 hours invested too until it started happening.

duckroll

OnlyWonderBoy said:
I was reading the Fallout Wiki and found it funny how it was talking about the final boss being relatively tough to kill. Oh, Baby! + 100 Melee + Super Slam = 20 second fight.

What final boss?! I talked everyone into getting the fuck out of my face! :D

Obsidian, for my money, have simply crafted a better rpg with New Vegas than Bethesda did with Fallout 3. Twenty three hours in and I'm still getting side-tracked from the main quest with all of these bread crumbs leading me off to interesting side-quests that I can't help but get involved with. I keep encountering all of these unique events or receiving unique rewards.

e.g. The House Always Wins V. Mr. House wants me to wipe out a Brotherhood of Steel underground bunker. I figure the best way to accomplish this is to gain their trust, work with them for a bit. The first errand is short and simple enough, I solve it through dialogue. The next is a bit of a fetch quest, to find out what happened to three scouting parties, but one of those missions nets me a pretty kick ass Plasma rifle. The next series of missions involves scavenging through a few different Vaults to find components they need to repair the bunker. One Vault has been taken over by a wasteland gang. I work my way in through pure dialogue options, sell their leader some drugs and find out what happened to the former inhabitants. I also just grab the part I need as I walk out. The next bunker had some bizarre revolution over an even more bizarre electoral system where you have to be overseer for one year and then sacrifice yourself in some mysterious chamber below the overseers desk. The third Vault had some genetic experiments with plants go horribly awry and I was blasting my way through spore/plant zombies trying to piece together what happened while digging for the spare parts I needed. Three different vaults, three radically different experience, all in one quest. Never experienced anything like that in Fallout 3.

In the end I just pick pocketed three chief members of the Brotherhood of Steel and blew the bunker up. Felt kinda terrible for doing it, but I'm following through with Mr. House on this play-through.

njean777

Razorskin said:
I can't play the ps3 version without it freezing every 45 minutes, it's awful. I had a good 18 hours invested too until it started happening.

Really? I have the ps3 version and it rarely ever freezes you may want to re-install the game and back up your saves it should not be doing that.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
duckroll said:
What final boss?! I talked everyone into getting the fuck out of my face! :D

even Legion? I was on my own side with NCR as ally but I hadn't any 100% speech checks until the very last dialogue.

duckroll

subversus said:
even Legion? I was on my own side with NCR as ally but I hadn't any 100% speech checks until the very last dialogue.

Yeah, I played a speech character with a focus on stealth and melee. I had to compensate for a lot of other skills with books, magazines, and drugs. It was pretty cool.

W1SSY

Picked this game up earlier this week and can already see some small bugs in the game. Right off the bat a tumbleweed is floating in the air in the first town. Also about 2 hours in or so and I had my first freeze. Hopefully that is not a sign of things to come.

duckroll

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1179411-an…

Hi everyone,

On behalf of all of the hard-working teams at Bethesda and Obsidian, I’d like to give you an update what we’ve been working on these past few months.

Well, here’s what happened: our next DLC release (announcement coming very soon, we promise) has been complete while we worked on getting a patch ready for you all. We didn’t want to just release more DLC before we had a patch that would improve the overall New Vegas experience.

The good news is that we do have such a patch and it’s been handed off to the necessary platform owners. It should be released in the next couple of weeks on 360, PS3 and PC (can’t be more specific than that, I’m afraid, although PC will almost certainly get it first).

So what’s in that patch? First and foremost, optimizations and stability improvements. While there are bug fixes, our core focus was on improving stability and performance. We worked directly with first party platform owners to identify issues, and we have fixed a great deal of the crashes and lockups that people were experiencing. In addition, we scoured the forums and this patch includes weapon balance tweaks and other requested fixes.

We know we’re not done yet. There’s still more work to do, and we’ll be monitoring the forums very carefully following the release of this patch, looking for more issues. We do have another update planned further down the line.

So I’d like to apologize for the radio silence. Hopefully you’ll be pleased with the enormous amount of work we’ve put into this update over the last few months, and will enjoy the rest of our DLC releases. We have some pretty cool stuff coming soon. Stay tuned!

Thanks,
Jason Bergman
Senior Producer, FNV

Glad I waited on this. It's nuts that a patch like this has to be released months after the fact. Was obsidian just rushed and said "we'll fix this shit later"?

I'll wait to start until the patch is out.

Razorskin

----- ------
njean777 said:
Really? I have the ps3 version and it rarely ever freezes you may want to re-install the game and back up your saves it should not be doing that.

Yeah I'll try that, haven't touched the game in over a month. The only freezes I experience on my ps3 (relatively new slim) is in this game.

Why did it take so long for this shitty developer to finally address this bug ridden mess of a game? (PS3)

It is easily the worst game I have ever played for hard freezes and bugs overall. If I was part of the team that made this game I think I would be a little ashamed. (about that particular aspect of the game, anyway)

I held out on buying dead money mostly because of the reviews, buying it just last week. But knowing that I would have to deal with the bugs was also a big reason why I stayed away. I'm not that far in yet, so I think I'll wait for the bug patch before I play anymore to avoid some frustration.

Leckan

I completed the "How little we know" quest a while ago where you choose to either help the Omerta bosses or help Cachino overthrow them. Since I didn't like Cachino very much I decided to help the bosses but it turned out they were on Ceasar's side and were hell-bent on destroying the Strip. I am not a friend of the legion and have decided to go with Yes man. Since going with Yes man essentially means taking over New Vegas by yourself why on earth would I want the Omertas going on a killing strip in my place?

Basically what I'm asking is how will this affect the rest of the game and the ending, preferably with as little spoilers as possible.

Tingfrmnongpradu said:
Why did it take so long for this shitty developer to finally address this bug ridden mess of a game? (PS3)

It is easily the worst game I have ever played for hard freezes and bugs overall. If I was part of the team that made this game I think I would be a little ashamed. (about that particular aspect of the game, anyway)

I held out on buying dead money mostly because of the reviews, buying it just last week. But knowing that I would have to deal with the bugs was also a big reason why I stayed away. I'm not that far in yet, so I think I'll wait for the bug patch before I play anymore to avoid some frustration.

lol

First Obsidian game for ya huh? At least they actually got the chance to fix this one.

hemtae

Leckan said:
I completed the "How little we know" quest a while ago where you choose to either help the Omerta bosses or help Cachino overthrow them. Since I didn't like Cachino very much I decided to help the bosses but it turned out they were on Ceasar's side and were hell-bent on destroying the Strip. I am not a friend of the legion and have decided to go with Yes man. Since going with Yes man essentially means taking over New Vegas by yourself why on earth would I want the Omertas going on a killing strip in my place?

Basically what I'm asking is how will this affect the rest of the game and the ending, preferably with as little spoilers as possible.

I'm pretty sure it won't change that much since what happens to the stripe isn't related to that quest. Also
if you kill the Omerta's bosses then I'm 99% sure it won't change anything at all

duckroll

This is getting ridiculous. Even the XBL banner for the DLC has been leaked and there's still no announcement!

jV8rf.jpg

Edit: Oh looks like PC gets the big patch on Monday. There's a list of changes now:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1181744-balance-changes-in-the-new-fnv-patch/

(._.)

Banned
Is that it? Just balance tweaks? I have played 48 hours on one save and I can't finish the game because a glitch that makes the legion hostile towards me even though I have the mark. I have tried everything and have installed the only mod I could find that remotely relates to this faction/reputation glitch I have encountered. fuck this game.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I don't know what it is about Oblivion, F3 and NV being so relaxing to play. Maybe it's ambient music and atmosphere. I have more fun just walking around and discovering new places than anything. And Oblivion itself was interesting with being able to read about the history of the series, mainly Morrowind I guess, in books scattered throughout the game.

And yeah. I can honestly say this is the worst game I've ever played in terms of freezes and bugs. I beat Dead Money and didn't get any kind of freezes but it had minor glitches. Not that big of a deal. Once I came back into the main game, I got three freezes in less than an hour. It's definitely a game where you have to save constantly.

_Isaac

Kadey said:
I don't know what it is about Oblivion, F3 and NV being so relaxing to play. Maybe it's ambient music and atmosphere. I have more fun just walking around and discovering new places than anything. And Oblivion itself was interesting with being able to read about the history of the series, mainly Morrowind I guess, in books scattered throughout the game.

And yeah. I can honestly say this is the worst game I've ever played in terms of freezes and bugs. I beat Dead Money and didn't get any kind of freezes but it had minor glitches. Not that big of a deal. Once I came back into the main game, I got three freezes in less than an hour. It's definitely a game where you have to save constantly.

I actually found both Bethesda Fallout games somewhat stressful to play. Maybe it's the dark dank moody setting, but it's definitely not relaxing.

From the game changes:
Lever-Action Rifles - Cowboy Repeater, Trail Carbine, Brush Gun - RoF has been slightly reduced, AP costs have been significantly increased, and spread has been slightly increased.
Wow, I'm definitely going to have to play through a little differently on lower level characters. The repeaters were a standby because they felt so overpowered with their AP cost.

I've been thinking about picking this game up for a while, but all the talk of bugs doesn't help. How's the world and mission structure compared to fallout 3? I could only take fallout 3 for so long (about 60-70 hours). That's why I still haven't purchased New Vegas. The world is just blah and depressing but still very explorable.

Ben Pierce said:
I've been thinking about picking this game up for a while, but all the talk of bugs doesn't help. How's the world and mission structure compared to fallout 3? I could only take fallout 3 for so long (about 60-70 hours). That's why I still haven't purchased New Vegas. The world is just blah and depressing but still very explorable.

After looking through this thread I'll probably be in a minority here but I found New Vegas to be a gigantic disappointment. The bugs are as bad as they are being made out to be, or at least they are on the console versions, and I feel like the storyline is vastly overrated by those defending it. I was only impressed by a few of the sidequests and the end of the main quest is tedious to say the least.

I suppose I was just expecting Bethesda from Obsidian when I really should have learned my lesson after KOTOR2. This was all at launch though for full price. If you can get it for cheap it would probably be worth a shot if you have patience.

OnlyWonderBoy said:
Yeah, I realize it's an ambitious games, but I had way less issues with Fallout 3. It's just annoying more so than anything.

I never went back to New Vegas after the first couple of hours, but there are tons of well known bugs in Fallout 3 that still haven't been fixed. It's the follow-up that's disappointing.

duckroll said:
This is getting ridiculous. Even the XBL banner for the DLC has been leaked and there's still no announcement!

jV8rf.jpg

Edit: Oh looks like PC gets the big patch on Monday. There's a list of changes now:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1181744-balance-changes-in-the-new-fnv-patch/
FUCK YEA , I've been wanting to beat the game for weeks now , but kept waiting because some guy had announced there'd be a patch soon . I've stopped playing when I reached the "point of no return" , story-wise .

Grinchy

Banned
Can't wait to hear how much this patch improves or doesn't improve the PS3 version. I love Fallout 3, and I actually didn't have many issues with it (outside of horrible framerate after buying Brotherhood of Steel). I just read way too many convincing posts about how this game was much worse than F3 in technical terms that I've stayed away.

OnlyWonderBoy

Neo Member
Ben Pierce said:
I like New Vegas more than Fallout 3. I was super lucky with bugs though. The game only froze once and I didn't run into any game breaking bugs. In terms of story especially I really like New Vegas more. Just the entire faction mechanic really drew me into the world.

I've posted it before, but I did two playthroughs on 360 with no quest breaking bugs, and only minor clipping issues/freezes after >4 hours of play each session. VATS froze in the middle of combat about ten times total each character.

Evidently that's rare, but the complaints are always louder than those who don't have any.

hemtae

So after a relatively bug free two playthroughs, a now have a save file that will crash everytime it tries to quick save, normal save or auto save. Awesome

Ben Pierce said:

Game is amazing. Get the PC version if you can, I've not encountered a single game-breaking bug and I have 180 hours in the game with nearly every achievement including all four major ending achievements. Also, if you get the PC version and you do encounter bugs, you can use the console to work around them.

The mission structure is a lot better. All of those little side-missions which weren't marked in Fallout 3 are gone and replaced with myriad multi-stage quests. And the way in which you choose to complete quests will have far more significant effects on the world -- due to more extensively implemented scripting -- and on your place in it because of the faction system.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
A major point of freezing for me is Nelson and Camp Forlorn Hope. If I go anywhere near those two, I am bound to get it. Nelson has NCR troopers raiding it and Forlorn with the Legion. Both areas has more than dozen of each parties running around the place and it lags the game tremendously to the point where it will eventually freeze. It's annoying as hell and at this point I haven't found a way around it.

Top Bottom