• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

neoism

I'm really glad I'm not as eager to buy the DLC this time.... thanks to PC mods... :) I just got to the strip at 70 hours lol. Having got this game for only 9.99 was a per steal. I hope all of the DLC is released by September though. So I can go through it all. I just can't see myself playing this after Skyrim's release. :) Still this game has definitely been more enjoyable than F3, even though I liked F3 more, mainly because it was something I near played. I hope the next Fallout is a little far off though so I can play the shit out of Skyrim. :0

Wiseblood

Unless something gets delayed they're planning on releasing the remaining 3 DLC once a month, finishing off with Lonesome Road in July.

Tanolen

afternoon delight said:
Looking at mods right now for a new playthrough: Nevada Skies, iHud, and Better Tagged Skills. Anyone recommend other major ones?

Real time settlers mod. Lets you build your own town.

Branson

afternoon delight said:
Looking at mods right now for a new playthrough: Nevada Skies, iHud, and Better Tagged Skills. Anyone recommend other major ones?

Project Nevada. Also had a Sandstorm for the first time and it was AMAZING

broham

afternoon delight said:
weapon retexture project
project nevada
new vegas bounties

Sober

broham said:
weapon retexture project
Those look really good; I actually know the texture artist for that from my CS modding days. Plus I think he just did the Dead Money weapons too, I think I saw them today while browsing NVnexus

Went through there and didn't like the ones posted. :( I'm looking for subtle mods really, some gameplay changing ones, not really visual stuff. I really just want Nevada Skies because of the sandstorms and weather effects.

project nevada
I don't want to be the predator.

new vegas bounties
There's enough killing in FNV for me.

Weapons retexture project
Exaaaaactly what I was looking for.

Not only that, but new DLC today, right? What a red letter day for a fresh install and game. Last time around, my two playthroughs were on 360- can't wait to see this in action on PC. Sandstorms.... :D

kai3345

Banned
Playing Dead Money right now and I'm stuck on the part where I need to get Christine to her position.

After I found the fuse boxes to open the door I'm in the big room with all of the gas at the bottom, what do I do next? I'm completely stumped.

Sorry if this is an old, often asked question, but are there any huge differences between the xbox and ps3 versions? Graphical differences I don't really care about (I assume that it's the usual multi-platform thing where the xbox version looks slightly sharper), but is there anything big as far as one being much less buggy than the other or running more smoothly?

kai3345 said:
Playing Dead Money right now and I'm stuck on the part where I need to get Christine to her position.

After I found the fuse boxes to open the door I'm in the big room with all of the gas at the bottom, what do I do next? I'm completely stumped.

There's some arrows painted down at the bottom I think to help guide you through the gas.

daffy

Banned
dr3upmushroom said:
Sorry if this is an old, often asked question, but are there any huge differences between the xbox and ps3 versions? Graphical differences I don't really care about (I assume that it's the usual multi-platform thing where the xbox version looks slightly sharper), but is there anything big as far as one being much less buggy than the other or running more smoothly?
In-depth comparison: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-fallout-new-vegas-face-off

I had a very unpleasant experience on 360, even after all the updates. Had to call it quits at (location spoiler)
Vault 34
, it was getting a little too grating. The bug that pushed me over the cliff was when I went into the AP slow mo and my character didn't even shoot, sat there and let the enemies kill him with repeated hit until death. Happened numerous times.

I'll just be waiting for the GOTY edition for use on my PC next year. Fuck that.

kai3345

Banned
HadesGigas said:
There's some arrows painted down at the bottom I think to help guide you through the gas.
yeah I ended up just making a mad dash to the stairs. This addon is really well done. already better than any of the dlc that 3 had to offer, and a lot of that is due to the characters.

Riposte

This game's RPG story is really great. Makes Bioware games and The Witcher look completely linear. The last game that made me feel this way was... what do you know, Alpha Protocol. Only wish there were, maybe, one or two more paths to take or maybe variants of the four main ones.

I kind of regret playing with mods, because it makes reviewing it seem skewed. I'll say if you could implement more tactical battles and more companions, this would be a 5/5 series.

EDIT: I am trying to think of a game with a better application of RPG design.

Effect

Finally finished up the game this evening. Went the NCR route. The ending sequence of events though.... Overall the game was fun (though I think the newness of FO3 caused me to overlook some of the problems with the combat system. Not being overally exicted by New Vegas just made them really stand out for me, especially toward the end.) but towards the end the freezing became far to annoying. I had my PS3 actually restart on me as well. So I think this influenced my impression of the end. I got to the point where I just wanted to finish things and move on to something else. The final battle was a massive disappointment overall for me.

I think what bothers me to a degree is if you are limited by what your engine can do then your story should be altered to reflect those limitations. A big scale event over the control of something as big as the Hoover Dam should look a certain way. Descriptions made by the game cause one to imagine it's going to look a certain way as well. Not me and my companions against what looks like the same small squads I've come across throughout the game. If they couldn't do that battle and location justice then it should have been completely off screen with me doing something else in a more closed in location. Then it's how the game ends after finally reaching the Legion camp.
It's one time I wish my speech skill wasn't so high. I couldn't believe you could talk your way through the meeting with the Legate! After the reputation he's suppose to have as well?
The whole series of events just lacked any sort of excitement for me. I said before I was glad I didn't buy it used or full price. I really feel better about the price I got the game for. Though I guess I can just add it to list of games that have disappointing endings.

kai3345

Banned
Omg. Entering the endgame for Dead Money. This may be the best DLC I've played for any game ever, right up there with Shadow Broker.

Ended up killing
Christine and then having Dog "eat" God, apparently I didn't treat everyone well enough, but oh well me n Dean were like best bros, hopefully I can keep him alive.

kai3345 said:
Ended up killing
Christine and then having Dog "eat" God, apparently I didn't treat everyone well enough, but oh well me n Dean were like best bros, hopefully I can keep him alive.

Haha, you are a horrible person.

duckroll

What the fuck kai3345. You're an awful, awful man.

I only pray that my current new character, who is evil, will have as much fun as you did when I use her in Dead Money.

kai3345

Banned
duckroll said:
What the fuck kai3345. You're an awful, awful man.

I only pray that my current new character, who is evil, will have as much fun as you did when I use her in Dead Money.
I didn't mean to, I actually liked those two the best :(

I guess I didn't pick the right dialog in the beginning.

Also my meeting with
Dean
didn't go over well either. I've now added him to the list of casualties lol

Just me n
Dog
now

kai3345

Banned
Fucking balls I just got the glitch where when in Vats you dont actually shoot, Enemies just wail on you in slow motion, three times in a row.

tokkun

Playing through Dead Money makes me realize that Sneak really kind of sucks in the recent Fallouts. Even with my Sneak at 100, any time one of the ghost people is looking in my direction, I'm immediately seen. Doesn't matter if I'm crouching still in a shadow 10 feet above them.

Stealth works fine when you're sniping across long distances in the desert, but in twisty hallways it's almost useless. I'm not sure what I even get out of putting points into Sneak, other than qualifying for some of the Perks.

Stoffinator

For some reason Dead Money won't show up for me. So...

PS3 version here. and had played it. I think the newest update might of screwed it up.

After months of not finding enough motivation to beat the game , I did it last night .
Told both the Legion and NCR to fuck off
. I'm kinda disappointed by the ending I got , especially regarding Novac and the Followers of the Apocalypse . I should get back to it in order to go to Black Mountain , and also to try and find that sniper guy , forgot his name . He disappeared when I told him to go the Lucky 38 :(

Anyway , had some trouble during the last battle , since I hadn't brought any ammo with me . I had to reload my save like 50 times .

Sober

Was going to do a Legion playthrough (just questing around Vegas to get some levels before I get started), should I finish that before I go back to do Honest Hearts or do I not need to know that much about Graham to start?

Sober said:
Was going to do a Legion playthrough (just questing around Vegas to get some levels before I get started), should I finish that before I go back to do Honest Hearts or do I not need to know that much about Graham to start?

I would say that depends on what type of character you're playing. Some of the legion quests require some relatively high skill checks, so a higher level character is helpful. I played Legion with a Melee/hardcore character, and I would recommend playing it with an emphasis on Guns. Some of the battles got to be a little hectic, but if that's your thing, by all means go for it.

That being said, I am in love with my .45 silenced pistol from HH, so if you like Guns, I'd say go grab those items first and spend as much times as you can with them.

at the end of Honest Hearts, will probably finish it up tonight.

The DLC is 2 for 2 when it comes to awesomeness. Here's hoping the other 3 are this good.

theRizzle

I have NV (360) coming to me through the mail and I plan on playing it sometime this summer. I just kind of want to know what I should be looking out for.

Exactly how busted is this game? And with all the DLC coming out, are they trying to patch existing bugs in the DLC as well? From what I've read (which hasn't been too much since I'm trying not to spoil anything for myself) it seems like I won't be able to do everything on one playthrough because my save will get too big and cause more bugs/crashes. Is that accurate?

Also, how feasible is it to play Hardcore mode on a first playthrough? I played FO3 twice so I am familiar with the game style and all that.

theRizzle said:
I have NV (360) coming to me through the mail and I plan on playing it sometime this summer. I just kind of want to know what I should be looking out for.

Exactly how busted is this game? And with all the DLC coming out, are they trying to patch existing bugs in the DLC as well? From what I've read (which hasn't been too much since I'm trying not to spoil anything for myself) it seems like I won't be able to do everything on one playthrough because my save will get too big and cause more bugs/crashes. Is that accurate?

Also, how feasible is it to play Hardcore mode on a first playthrough? I played FO3 twice so I am familiar with the game style and all that.
I played hardcore mode the first time through, and it wasn't really that hard. It was actually a lot more fun that way, since you're a bit more restricted in how much you can carry. Then you play through a second time not on hardcore and you feel like a god.

I've played over a hundred hours on 360 and have had maybe a dozen freezes, and have done a ton of things. Just make sure you save occasionally and you should be fine. The most progress I ever lost was maybe 15 minutes.

hemtae

JodyAnthony said:
at the end of Honest Hearts, will probably finish it up tonight.

The DLC is 2 for 2 when it comes to awesomeness. Here's hoping the other 3 are this good.

There's only going to be two more

CyReN

1zlvk15.jpg

Ready for tomorrow.

tokkun

JodyAnthony said:
I played hardcore mode the first time through, and it wasn't really that hard. It was actually a lot more fun that way, since you're a bit more restricted in how much you can carry. Then you play through a second time not on hardcore and you feel like a god.

The one major gripe I have about hardcore is that it tends to limit the variety of weapons you will actually use since ammo weight is considerable so it is costly to carry a large assortment of ammo types.

Finally got to the strip (it took me a long time to realize i could
ride the monorail from that NCR fort into it
) and finished some unfinished business there.:)

So, at this point it feels like there are
four major quests? Ally with NCR, ally with legion, ally with house, decide to do it all by myself? Can you do a bit of all before being stuck in one path? I am not sure what to do. The sucker in me wants to help out NCR, though I don't really like them. Since my character is a remarkably articulate conan the barbarian (speech+melee), I am tempted to go all barbarian and support the legion. House sounds like an asshole but it could be fun. I have no idea what trying to become my own boss would entail.

tokkun said:
The one major gripe I have about hardcore is that it tends to limit the variety of weapons you will actually use since ammo weight is considerable so it is costly to carry a large assortment of ammo types.
I agree. Hardcore is great for a melee or unarmed character though. I might play another hardcore character, doing 100% melee/unarmed. That could be fun.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
tokkun said:
i never really ran into much problems with ammo weight. Dump it onto your followers until you need it, keep a stockpile at home, or take the Pack Rat perk at level 8.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Finally started my insane hobo character.

Rules I'm enforcing on myself: All explosives and one Shotgun only (emergency purposes only). No armor, wasteland settler outfit only.

Pretty fun so far. Going through a shitload of stimpaks thanks to poorly planned close range grenade impact but thanks to the overpowered gear on the powder gangers and ammunition store by Goodsprings in the world of pain mod, I've managed to collect a good sum of cash to help cover my mistakes and complete lack of defense.

jambo

I'm about to start another play through of FNV but I've only got a little bit of spare cash atm, so which DLC should I grab? Thanks in advance.

tokkun said:

Hasn't been a problem for me, I carry like 6-8 guns that all use different ammo, including one that uses MFC.

I don't use any explosive ammo guns, though. I could see how those could add up fast.

Jaguar

jambo said:
I'm about to start another play through of FNV but I've only got a little bit of spare cash atm, so which DLC should I grab? Thanks in advance.
I would say Dead Money. Different from the rest of New Vegas whereas Honest Hearts is very similar. Longer and more challenging gameplay as well.

Both are very good DLC's though, so you can't go wrong.

Lothars

jambo said:

Honest Hearts, I feel it's a way better DLC than Dead Money but eventually I would get both.

Sober

Lord_Nergal said:
I would say that depends on what type of character you're playing. Some of the legion quests require some relatively high skill checks, so a higher level character is helpful. I played Legion with a Melee/hardcore character, and I would recommend playing it with an emphasis on Guns. Some of the battles got to be a little hectic, but if that's your thing, by all means go for it.

That being said, I am in love with my .45 silenced pistol from HH, so if you like Guns, I'd say go grab those items first and spend as much times as you can with them.
Oh, definitely guns, but I was meaning to ask if a Legion playthrough prior to Honest Hearts would help make more sense of all the backstory behind the Burned Man and the Legion in general.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i need more Fallout news.

edit:
so where the hell does the Fallout franchise go next? Each game has been in a new locale

FO1 Southwest US near LA
FO2 further east and north including Reno and SF
FOT in the Midwest including Chicago
FO3 finally in the Eastern US.. Washington DC
FONV is set in southern Nevada

So where does Fallout 4 take place? Florida?

tokkun

water_wendi said:
i need more Fallout news.

edit:
so where the hell does the Fallout franchise go next? Each game has been in a new locale

FO1 Southwest US near LA
FO2 further east and north including Reno and SF
FOT in the Midwest including Chicago
FO3 finally in the Eastern US.. Washington DC
FONV is set in southern Nevada

So where does Fallout 4 take place? Florida?

There was a pretty lengthy thread on that very topic last year. I think Detroit would be one of the best settings, as 1950's era Detroit was one of the largest and wealthiest US cities and also one that typified the sort of Americana that makes up the Fallout aesthetic.

It would also be nice to have a setting that would allow DLC expeditions to Canada.

Top Bottom