• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Big Ass Ramp said:
so I just got this game and I'm a few quests in. Where is a good place to head to get a good gun?

Gun Runners, located on the Eastern wall of the New Vegas territory (outside the wall, not inside).

zkylon

zkylewd
Big Ass Ramp said:
so I just got this game and I'm a few quests in. Where is a good place to head to get a good gun?
You can buy a few good guns in Novac. Gun runners is too far away and too expensive. You should just walk off the beaten path and see what guns end up landing in your hands. Not really an answer, but that's what oftentimes works best.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I'm pretty much at the limits of how far I can push things without having to commit to one faction. Anything reported to one of the four results in quests vanishing from others, so it looks like it is time to create the hard save that I will use later to see different outcomes. I've been delaying it for about ten hours but now that I have power armor and some kick ass weapons I figure I might as well go with the flow.

As far as companions go, are Lily, Veronica, Arcade Gannon, or the ghoul at the Nightkin village more useful than Boone? He has been pretty good in combat so far. Also, Rex just remains with you and doesn't count as a companion right? I know there is an achievement for using all of them, but I'm just looking for the most useful one right now. Being able to have all of the extra item carrying space has been helpful.

This is better than Fallout 3, but a lot of the technical issues continue to be a headache. Maybe the sixth patch will nail it.

Mooreberg said:
I'm pretty much at the limits of how far I can push things without having to commit to one faction. Anything reported to one of the four results in quests vanishing from others, so it looks like it is time to create the hard save that I will use later to see different outcomes. I've been delaying it for about ten hours but now that I have power armor and some kick ass weapons I figure I might as well go with the flow.

As far as companions go, are Lily, Veronica, Arcade Gannon, or the ghoul at the Nightkin village more useful than Boone? He has been pretty good in combat so far. Also, Rex just remains with you and doesn't count as a companion right? I know there is an achievement for using all of them, but I'm just looking for the most useful one right now. Being able to have all of the extra item carrying space has been helpful.

This is better than Fallout 3, but a lot of the technical issues continue to be a headache. Maybe the sixth patch will nail it.

As far as I can tell Veronica/Lily, and Boone are top tier. Boone is the best for long range. You can arm companions too. Veronica with Pushy (if you found it) or any high-tier fist is ridic. Since you can arm them they are all pretty much equal but at default I find those three are the best in battle.

You get one humanoid and one non-humanoid. So ED-E and Rex do not count towards the 1 companion limit. I personally hate them both. ED-E is pretty weak and annoying, and Rex is stupid...literally. He too aggressive and tends to rush in and die, even when set to passive.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Big Ass Ramp said:
There's a cave due east of the legion camp east of Nipton (where the powder gangers are being held). In that cave is a unique Varmint rifle called the Ratslayer. It's powerful and the perfect gun for a stealth/guns build.

zkylon

zkylewd
Mooreberg said:
You're missing my favorite companion of the game :p

Combat-wise, it doesn't get any better than Boone. He's a monster with his default rifle and his perk is the most useful of them all. Him and then Veronica are the best fighters in the game. Veronica's really good with energy weapons, too, so you can use her even if you're a melee char.

TheUsual

Gold Member
zkylon said:
You're missing my favorite companion of the game :p

Combat-wise, it doesn't get any better than Boone. He's a monster with his default rifle and his perk is the most useful of them all. Him and then Veronica are the best fighters in the game. Veronica's really good with energy weapons, too, so you can use her even if you're a melee char.
I gave Veronica a Ballistic Fist. What a joy to see her destroy just about anything thrown at her.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
TheUsual said:
I gave Veronica a Ballistic Fist. What a joy to see her destroy just about anything thrown at her.
Aye.

Once she gets that damn weapon, every battle was a race for me to try to get a shot in. She was obliterating everything in record time.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Fucking shit. All of my saves are taking forever to load if they are even loading at all. It just keeps on loading. I've tried for about 10 minutes, and it doesn't load (it doesn't freeze but it just never does anything).

I'm trying installing the game right now, but is this a common problem? :(

Dresden

Fantastical said:
Fucking shit. All of my saves are taking forever to load if they are even loading at all. It just keeps on loading. I've tried for about 10 minutes, and it doesn't load (it doesn't freeze but it just never does anything).

I'm trying installing the game right now, but is this a common problem? :(
Clear the cache if you're on the 360.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
For the past 13 years I've thought the yellow circle on the back of the Advanced Power Armor was a radioactive symbol. Now New Vegas is telling me that it's a fan?

This is heavy. I think I need to sit down.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
MrTroubleMaker said:
I've heard this might work. Start a new game, make a save, then load your game from there.
Ah! Okay I got it working. What I did was delete the latest update for the game and then reinstall it. The save still seemed to take a while to load, but it did it after about a minute, so I'm happy.

Still, fuck you Bethesda/Obsidian.

balladofwindfishes said:
Sooo...

Is there any way to beat the main story without losing the loyalty of any companions?

Yes, although there are some really special cases where you can lose companions, they aren't much to worry about (you lose Boone if you side with Legion). Make sure you do the companion quests too.

Lionheart1337 said:
Yes, although there are some really special cases where you can lose companions, they aren't much to worry about (you lose Boone if you side with Legion). Make sure you do the companion quests too.
Oh don't worry, I won't have to worry about siding with the legion

I slaughtered Caesar using Joshua Graham's pistol, stripped him naked, and sat on his thrown as my minions massacred his bodyguards

Super hard mode with unlimited companions makes for some ridiculously epic battles. :)
I can only watch them, if I try to participate, I almost always die lol

Dr. Chaos

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
I slaughtered Caesar using Joshua Graham's pistol, stripped him naked, and sat on his thrown as my minions massacred his bodyguards
[/spoiler]
Be sure to go back and inform Joshua that you killed Caesar, if you can. You get a new dialogue choice out of it.

CyReN

Finally beat Honest Hearts, now bad. Did run into some freezing issues on 1 mission besides that it ran and played good. 8/10

Can't wait for Old World Blues on Tuesday.

My favorite part of Honest Hearts is easily the
Survivor Logs that are spread throughout. Piecing together his life post-event is actually really interesting, along with his general thoughts on the world.
It was a really fun and interesting DLC, but those bits stood out the most to me.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Deleting the title update was the method I used to rescue a save file as well. There is something up with that patch.

Anyway, the save file I created left me with about ninety minutes of work to do for each ending I have seen -
Legion Ending w/ Caesar dead and the Yes Man ending
. The second one was a lot more interesting. Will eventually finish with the other two ending but I want to go back and do more side stuff now to see how it shows up in the montage.

I guess if they are never doing anything like Broken Steel, it doesn't really matter who you side with as your ultimate outcome? Would have been nice to be able to drag things out a bit further before deciding (
Why does reporting the Yes Man lose NCR or Legion reputation? Who the hell knows it is there?
). Either way, great game aside from weird issues with saves. There is a particular mission I need to redo because of an autosave mishap but it shouldn't take too long.

~Kinggi~ said:
Still waiting for the DLC included retail release for this. Should come at end of year.
I was planning to do that but since Best Buy had the game on sale and the DLC will be 400 points each eventually during a sale, I figured I might as well pull the trigger. I'm just happier about having waited for more patches. If there is this much trouble now, I don't even want to know what playing this game was like last fall. I'd have gotten too pissed to finish it.

mujun

Mooreberg said:
Why does reporting the Yes Man lose NCR or Legion reputation? Who the hell knows it is there?

Because that basically puts you in power and makes the two major factions think that you are going to try to control the region (including the dam). I guess they get pissed off because you are going to upset the status quo.

Why do you need a certain skill to lockpick a door, while in oblivion you can attempt to lockpick any door you want despite how hard it is?

flipswitch said:
Why do you need a certain skill to lockpick a door, while in oblivion you can attempt to lockpick any door you want despite how hard it is?

Because it is a different game? I am not really sure I understand the point of your question.

Dr. Chaos said:
Aye.

Once she gets that damn weapon, every battle was a race for me to try to get a shot in. She was obliterating everything in record time.

Veronica is super broken with Ballistic Fist, and becomes even more ridiculous if you complete Dead Money.

Drazgul

Shortt Sirket said:
Because it is a different game? I am not really sure I understand the point of your question.

Yup, different game and more importantly a different skill system. And rightly so - the lockpicking in Oblivion was a joke, you could pick any lock with 5 points in Lockpicking if you had enough skill as a player. Which should never happen in an RPG.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Having a blast with this game. Seriously addicted to leveling up and finding new stuff to explore, but I'm getting less and less interested in the main plot.

Aaron

Lionheart1337 said:
They have
spies
Maybe, but the way it happens instantly when you're alone in a room with Yes Man is lame.

Shortt Sirket said:
It was a dumb change from Fallout 3, because you can get into situations where you're missing it only by a couple points, and don't have the right magazines on you, or trying to unlock a door that's just too hard to return to. The percentage system could be cheated, sure, but the game flowed better with it.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
About the yes man ending:

Did anyone else become scared shitless when he said
that he had found something that would allow him to be more assertive?

For about thirty seconds I was pretty damn sure him and the legion of security bots behind him were about to gun me down for an all robot utopia.

duckroll

Chris Avellone updated his twitter image a few days ago. I think it's a screenshot from Lonesome Road, like how his last one was a teaser for Old World Blues.

zOyOS.jpg

Lakitu

st5fu
Awesome.

Old World Blues tomorrow, but I won't be able to play it until next Monday on account of relatives being here and taking my room.

:( Going to avoid the OWB OT until then.

It's interesting how Obsidian are trying to tell a complete story (a side-story of sorts?) with the DLC, involving the other Courier. Pretty ambitious, although it might backfire for those who only get some of the DLC.

O.DOGG

I just beat the main game after ~100 hours. I loved just about every moment of it. Haven't had such an amazing experience in a game in a long time. Now on to the DLC...

O.DOGG said:
I just beat the main game after ~100 hours. I loved just about every moment of it. Haven't had such an amazing experience in a game in a long time. Now on to the DLC...

You're a better man than me, I made it to just over 50 before doing the final part of the game. Still have tons to do though, I haven't even visited Black Mountain or done the Enclave quest yet, I haven't finished the Brotherhood of Steel quests, there's tons of places I haven't been to yet (the powder ganger vault for a start), and I still need to get Honest Hearts. This is one of the most content-rich games ever made.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
duckroll said:
Chris Avellone updated his twitter image a few days ago. I think it's a screenshot from Lonesome Road, like how his last one was a teaser for Old World Blues.

http://i.imgur.com/zOyOS.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I'm really digging that color grading.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
This game, sheesh.

I'm only lvl 12, but what I've played thus far has far outweighed that other acclaimed RPG shooter of 2010. The story intrigues me. The decision-making, the tucked away sub-plots, the history of the Mojave, it's all satisfying. The game actually looks crisp and detailed without mods at 1920x1080. I've experienced one crash, when alt-tabbing, and that's it. Congrats, Obsidian.

Orlandu84

I just finished my first play through of Honest Hearts, and all that I have to say is "Awesome!"

Great design, good characters, and solid plot make for a fun time. I am so glad that I grabbed the DLC on the Steam Sale. Now to start playing Dead Money...

I'm really looking forwards to Old World Blues now, I was doing another Fallout 3 playthrough and all of a sudden the right stick doesn't do anything in my current save. If I load up an older save it works fine, but my current save nothing. Even quit and restarted to see if that would fix it, but nope. Fucking shit. Started right after I entered a door, and I can't even turn around to leave.

Effect

How big of a difference is New Vegas on the PC compared to the consoles? In terms of gameplay and overall feel?

I see it's marked down on the Direct2Drive and I might bite now that I have a new graphics card coming. Might be able to max it out. I enjoyed the PS3 version though story wise I liked it less then FO3. However the possibility of using mods is interesting.

Effect said:
How big of a difference is New Vegas on the PC compared to the consoles? In terms of gameplay and overall feel?

I see it's marked down on the Direct2Drive and I might bite now that I have a new graphics card coming. Might be able to max it out. I enjoyed the PS3 version though story wise I liked it less then FO3. However the possibility of using mods is interesting.

The developer console and mods make a world of difference for the game.

OWB today.....:)

I've been playing this game for 17 hours but I'm starting to get burn out by this game. the game is fun while playing it, but looking back, after 17 hours, I didn't feel like I accomplish much at all in game. maybe because I'm playing side quests? I got to send ghouls on a rocket, that's rather amusing. but the main story haven't gone anywhere and I still haven't find that prick who shot me in the intro (I've just dealt with the khans that are with him).

do you guys think I should ignore side quest for now and focus on the main quest? right now, whenever I want to start playing, I keep reminded about the same depressing looking environment, no music and the story is going nowhere with my pace, than I see my list of Steam games and there are still Borderlands that I'm intrigued to play, I also still have Magicka, Far Cry2, longest journey, other games that I think might grabbed me more than New Vegas currently.

Callibretto said:
I've been playing this game for 17 hours but I'm starting to get burn out by this game. the game is fun while playing it, but looking back, after 17 hours, I didn't feel like I accomplish much at all in game. maybe because I'm playing side quests? I got to send ghouls on a rocket, that's rather amusing. but the main story haven't gone anywhere and I still haven't find that prick who shot me in the intro (I've just dealt with the khans that are with him).

do you guys think I should ignore side quest for now and focus on the main quest? right now, whenever I want to start playing, I keep reminded about the same depressing looking environment, no music and the story is going nowhere with my pace, than I see my list of Steam games and there are still Borderlands that I'm intrigued to play, I also still have Magicka, Far Cry2, longest journey, other games that I think might grabbed me more than New Vegas currently.
Turn the radio on in your pip boy under misc->radio if you want music.
I'd recommend just doing the main quest until you finish the "he went that a way" quest, and then from there start doing side stuff, if you are already in novac you aren't that far off completing it.

Top Bottom