• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Does OWB let you keep those three perks at the beginning in the regular game?

And I can confirm that even though I already leveled up to 50 via the PS3 patch, this DLC doesn't let you level up further. 50 is the absolute limit.

water_wendi said:
The latest patch addresses this. Instead of lasting forever it hurts more in less time. The problem with the old poison on followers is that Cazadore poison always seemed to last FOREVER. This way its over quickly, pop a couple stims on them and its fine. To be honest, i havent had issues with Cazadores since they changed them a couple patches ago. They are easy like Sunday morning now that they dont get right up in your grill before you even see them.

True, they do seem easier from recent patches. I only did hard core mode on my first runthrough when the game first came out. I may try it again if I ever decide to do another go through of the game.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I just finished up Honest Hearts an consider it a nice diversion and change of scenery. It ran great on PC with zero crashes. I'm thinking about skipping Dead Money for now and playing through OWB.

water_wendi said:
Hardcore mode is the only way to play New Vegas (it was also the only way to play Fallout 3).

- Weighted ammo makes it so there is some kind of resource management with the game. In FO3 or normal NV you can just march around with 5,000 rockets or 300,000 rounds of whatever powers those alien rifles and just destroy everything without any danger to you. A mechanic that effectively grants godmode is what really saps the fun from the game.
I think the RM is fine at default. It's just at at point where it isn't an annoying necessity. I like being able to carry tons of ammo. My 100+ hour playthrough has been like 90% hardcore. I got tired of it once I realized how little it enhances the experience. I feel like unweighted is the last thing making my character OP. He's OP regardless, and the game is really easy regardless of whether HC is on or not. They can add better balance to the game with annoying me, lol.

- Eating, drinking, and sleeping basically give value to about half of the thousands of junk items that appear in these games. The meters arent punishing but they have enough presence to keep things interesting.
I somewhat agree about the value. I just find it reduces to nagware. Maybe it's because I like to explore a lot but having to constantly worry about these small, boring ticker-tasks takes away from the fun for me.

- Immortal companions sounds like total shit, imo.
It is shit. But I find it is the lesser of two evils when dealing with crappy suicidal AI (even on passive mode). Their rushing in and dying happens far too often for my patience, especially Rex. It becomes a chore, babysitting just to have a companion with you, and that is no good in my view.

Dont do it for any achievement. Do it because it makes the game more interesting.
Some people care about achievements. I could care less about them but to each his own. Again, however more interesting it's supposed to make the game I think it is outweighed by annoyance.Overall I just think it trades too much fun for "realism".

Edit:
And it shouldnt even be called Hardcore mode. It should be the normal default and whats "Normal" should be called "Training Wheel" mode or "Pull-ups" mode.
It just feels to tacked on. Honestly I think it could have been better had it been more integrated into the game itself.

Bold

Sotha Sil

Started a hardcore playthrough the other day; I love it. Having to scavenge for food and water really added to the experience: I would even say I rediscovered the game. I went looking for non-radioactive sinks in small, desolate houses I never bothered to visit before. I'm having a lot of fun cooking, and discovered the joys of the Dine and Dash perk. Some battles are now quite challenging on hard mode (unarmed build); and the challenge is welcome. Crippled limbs are a pain in the ass again, as they should be. The wasteland finally feels like a dangerous, unforgiving place, and that's a very, very good thing.

Kazzy

Tried playing a bit of this again yesterday, wow! Getting back into the swing of things after a long absence is difficult, to say the least.

Razorskin

----- ------
I got through Dead Money a few days ago and I really enjoyed the story and all the companions I got to meet along the way. It was an interesting change of pace finding myself avoiding some combat instances in order to survive. I was getting through it looking at the ground trying to avoid all sorts of traps. I considered taking the light step perk but that would ruin some of danger of being in the villa.

I just recently started Honest Hearts and I am enjoying it as well.

Dechaios said:
Dead Money was a drag here and there but I loved the ending.
I could only manage to lug 3 gold bars out >_< so heavy

I got all 37 but used a glitch to do so, It's only fair after all the crashes I've experienced playing the game.

Redd

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
5! Although I had to be pretty ruthless with my other loot.
There's a way to get all of them without glitching. You have to trick the old man. Don't want to spoil exactly how for people who never played it but all you have to do is trick him.

zkylon

zkylewd
@Lionheart1337
Hardcore mode is worth it just for the slower healing stimpaks. The ammo weight feels like good balance, since a key negative of energy weapons is how heavy those microfusion cells are.

The rest is just a matter of taste. I like it, but i purposely sabotage myself some bit to be short on caps all the time so i've got to scavenge for supplies and plan out trips. Sure, it's even some additional effort, but the feeling you get when you finally find some dirty water after a long, desperate trek is just joyous.

Forkball

So uh, my saves won't load (PC). It's had this problem before, where it wouldn't load manual saves and only quick saves. But now it won't load any saves. This is the first time I've played since the last big patch. Any help?

Oreoleo

Forkball said:
So uh, my saves won't load (PC). It's had this problem before, where it wouldn't load manual saves and only quick saves. But now it won't load any saves. This is the first time I've played since the last big patch. Any help?

Does the game freeze/crash on the loading screen? Try starting a new game and then loading the old save from there, or use an old save that was made inside a building to then load your save. That's what worked for me (Though it was a game save started after the new patch so you might be having a different issue than I was).

Redd said:
There's a way to get all of them without glitching. You have to trick the old man. Don't want to spoil exactly how for people who never played it but all you have to do is trick him.
Aw man.. that hurts.

I glitched and took it all, if I had known there was an alternative I would have surely done it.

My speech is 100, I feel like I could have talked him into anything.

It suddenly struck me that in just over two months, Vegas will have been out for a year already. Time does fly.

And I really need to update that opening post.

Forkball

Orellio said:
Does the game freeze/crash on the loading screen? Try starting a new game and then loading the old save from there, or use an old save that was made inside a building to then load your save. That's what worked for me (Though it was a game save started after the new patch so you might be having a different issue than I was).
I fixed it. I loaded a really old save, and it worked somehow, then reloaded my most recent save.

Oh Obsidian, you so crazy.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
The only thing I don't like about Hardcore mode is companion deaths, thats something I wish was a toggle in options rather than a mode decision.

There are no uber companions in New Vegas like Dogmeat or Fawkes and the enemies are definitely more deadly so having to reset every thirty minutes or so because ED-E or Cass gets rushed by a Cazador or Supermutant is kind of a bummer.

FairXchange said:
Aw man.. that hurts.

I glitched and took it all, if I had known there was an alternative I would have surely done it.

My speech is 100, I feel like I could have talked him into anything.
Speech at 100 being something I did early was probably the greatest idea ever. So many quests and stuff become a lot easier when you can talk people down.

Dr. Chaos said:
The only thing I don't like about Hardcore mode is companion deaths, thats something I wish was a toggle in options rather than a mode decision.

There are no uber companions in New Vegas like Dogmeat or Fawkes and the enemies are definitely more deadly so having to reset every thirty minutes or so because ED-E or Cass gets rushed by a Cazador or Supermutant is kind of a bummer.
Play with a 9 Charisma character and outfit your companions with combat armor and good weapons. You won't be seeing them die any time soon.

balddemon

Banned
I started New Vegas yesterday, and love it tons tons more than Fallout 3. Which is a shame because I never finished 3 or any of the DLC lol. Anyways, will my current NV save work if I mod the game a bit?

Ponti

balddemon said:
I started New Vegas yesterday, and love it tons tons more than Fallout 3. Which is a shame because I never finished 3 or any of the DLC lol. Anyways, will my current NV save work if I mod the game a bit?
If you've never used any mods with that save game before then you'll be fine.

I am still in the middle of this awesome game but I have decided that I want some DLC. I am only going to get one so I am wondering which one should I get? Is there one that stands out.

Wallach

MiamiWesker said:
I am still in the middle of this awesome game but I have decided that I want some DLC. I am only going to get one so I am wondering which one should I get? Is there one that stands out.

From the sounds of things, I'd probably get Old World Blues. It seems like it has the most content.

Each DLC does add different potential perks though (not story-based ones just flat out new perks you can choose like normal) and certain unique loot so you could also base it off that kind of information.

Wallach said:
From the sounds of things, I'd probably get Old World Blues. It seems like it has the most content.

Each DLC does add different potential perks though (not story-based ones just flat out new perks you can choose like normal) and certain unique loot so you could also base it off that kind of information.

All of them also raise the level cap too right?

duckroll

MiamiWesker said:

It's hard to specifically advice if you're only going to get one of them. It would depend on what you're looking for in a DLC, and whether you're looking for specific things which cater to a certain character build. It'll be easier to advice if we know what you're looking for.

moojito

Just got the Lord Death perk - "You get bonus damage against everything, because you like killing everything". So awesome!

duckroll

Branson said:
Have any of you guys added the "get perks at every level" mod? Would that break the game?

I don't like stuff like that in general. I see no reason to install mods which essentially help me to cheat with no drawback. I like mods which either introduce a new gameplay function, or improvements to the UI/graphics.

Branson

duckroll said:
I don't like stuff like that in general. I see no reason to install mods which essentially help me to cheat with no drawback. I like mods which either introduce a new gameplay function, or improvements to the UI/graphics.
Yes that's the reason I haven't done it. Just curious to see people's experiences with that.

duckroll

Branson said:
Yes that's the reason I haven't done it. Just curious to see people's experiences with that.

Well, I think it does exactly what is described. It lets you pick a perk every time you level up. If that sounds appealing to you, go for it. I can't really imagine how the mod is anything other than exactly what it is advertised as in this case. :)

Ponti

Branson said:
Have any of you guys added the "get perks at every level" mod? Would that break the game?
Yep, I turned on 1 perk per level on Project Nevada and it works fine. It won't have any negative impact on your game, aside from giving a bit more perks than intended. Personally I prefer it as PN adds a bunch more perks to the game anyway.

To clarify a bit I don't really feel like I'm cheating when I have the 1 perk per level thing turned on, mainly because PN rescales the game a bit (most of which is tweakable by the user). You typically have less health, less AP and enemies do way more damage. So I'd recommend using a 1 perk per level mod with PN or a similar mod which makes the game harder.

Branson

Ponti said:
Yep, I turned on 1 perk per level on Project Nevada and it works fine. It won't have any negative impact on your game, aside from giving a bit more perks than intended. Personally I prefer it as PN adds a bunch more perks to the game anyway.
Project Nevada has been great. I just got Electro City...I think thats what it's called, and it seemed pretty good. I got the DLC during the Steam sale and am a few hours into Dead Money. Quite different, lots of pretty good writing and I like the change from the main game.

duckroll

Branson said:
Quite different, lots of pretty good writing and I like the change from the main game.

Yeah this is the best thing about the DLCs. Each one is unique and different from the main game, but also different from each other.

Derrick01

Banned
Dechaios said:
I love getting a perk every level. I wouldn't play without it.

It really is great, that was one thing I think F3 actually did better. It may be a bit shallow but I like to have rewards other than skill points (since they're so abundant in F3 and NV) when I level up.

It does kind of break the game though, makes you way more powerful than Obsidian obviously intended.

SumGamer

I bought this on Steam closes to launch and only putting around 20 hours in for this game. I dont know why, but I played over 200 hours in Oblivion on PC and around 150 in Fallout 3 on PS3. New Vegas just doesn't click for me, maybe I should restart the game without the hardcore difficulty. What should I do? Restart the game or leave it? :(

Any recommendations for good off the beaten path quests?

I got to the point of no return earlier than expected, and I'm trying to stave off the inevitable.

French

Banned
Hi,

I bought the game on PC but it feels a bit weird, is there a way to increase the fov and make the weapons take less space on the screen ?

Ponti

bluedeviltron said:
Any recommendations for good off the beaten path quests?

I got to the point of no return earlier than expected, and I'm trying to stave off the inevitable.
Exploring the vaults if you haven't already, some have quests and pretty much all have an interesting story to them.

French said:
Hi,

I bought the game on PC but it feels a bit weird, is there a way to increase the fov and make the weapons take less space on the screen ?
You can change the FOV by editing the 'fDefaultFOV' value in Fallout_default.ini in your main FNV directory.

Mad_Ban

Is there a known camera-judder issue? I keep on experiencing this when I do a slow rotation. Initially I thought it was microstutter but after turning SLI off I noticed it's still there. Especially noticable with a slow pan in third person.

Top Bottom