• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Fjordson

Sub_Level said:
I don't think so, but in terms of difficulty, Honest Hearts is the easiest and Old World Blues is the hardest (although Dead Money can be pretty challenging as well). Honest Hearts also seemingly isn't as tied to the Courier's story as the other two DLCs (it had a different writer), so if you decide to do one in the middle of your journey, I'd go with Honest Hearts.
duckroll said:
DLCs scale up, but I don't think they particularly scale down. Honest Hearts is much easier if you play it when you're like lvl7-10, rather than if you go in with a lvl35 character. The scaling doesn't affect the stats of the enemies, but it does affect what types of enemies you can possibly face, along with some of their gear.

Dead Money and Old World Blues are both pretty hard regardless of your level, but are definitely meant for higher level characters simply because of skill checks. I wouldn't recommend doing either of them unless you're at least lvl15-20.
Thanks for the info. I'm almost level 8 so I'll probably give Honest Hearts a go once I hit it.

Razorskin

----- ------
The Big MT destroys Zion in content alone. It's hard to walk a minute in the Big MT without finding something interesting. Zion on the other hand is filled with boring encampments (whether tribal or leftover from before the war) with some good booby trapped caves to explore.

Fjordson

This game is amazing. Just hit level 11 and am heading towards The Strip (though will most likely make a few stops on the way).

Only little problem I'm having so far is that I can't find any damn armor. Only stuff like Great Khans outfits and Powder Gang stuff, but I'd rather use something neutral so I don't invoke the wrath of the NCR and/or any other factions.

mujun

Razorskin said:
The Big MT destroys Zion in content alone. It's hard to walk a minute in the Big MT without finding something interesting. Zion on the other hand is filled with boring encampments (whether tribal or leftover from before the war) with some good booby trapped caves to explore.

This. I enjoyed HH for it's landscape, extra stuff and the fun of blowing big animals away with high powered pistols.

It isn't nearly as well crafted as the other two DLCs imo, though. Not that I enjoyed DM that much, not my type of action, too "survival horror". Didn't like feeling crippled or constantly having to track down emitters.

OWB is absolutely amazing, can't wait to get back to Japan and my 360 so I can finish it off.

moojito

Fjordson said:
This game is amazing. Just hit level 11 and am heading towards The Strip (though will most likely make a few stops on the way).

Only little problem I'm having so far is that I can't find any damn armor. Only stuff like Great Khans outfits and Powder Gang stuff, but I'd rather use something neutral so I don't invoke the wrath of the NCR and/or any other factions.

Yeah, I've still got some dodgy wastelander outfit with +1 agi or something. Can't find anything good like my chinese stealth suit in fallout 3. I understand there's a stealth suit, but it doesn't have the cool effect :<

Grinchy

Banned
The PC version, on a HDTV, played with a PS3 controller (or 360 controller), is absolute bliss. It feels so much better to me with a controller. Same with Just Cause 2.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Grinchy said:
The PC version, on a HDTV, played with a PS3 controller (or 360 controller), is absolute bliss. It feels so much better to me with a controller. Same with Just Cause 2.
Yeah I really enjoy FO3/New Vegas with the 360 pad as they don't really demand a lot from me in terms of aiming.

goodfella

Stallion Free said:
Yeah I really enjoy FO3/New Vegas with the 360 pad as they don't really demand a lot from me in terms of aiming.

I would play with a mouse, but there is so much mouse lag, and I cant stand screen tearing.

HH perhaps should have been the first DLC released. In fact, I wonder if at one time it was. The storyline is much more tied into the lore of the Mojave (Burned Man), and it is just so much easier than Dead Money or OWB.

When I do my 'final' playthrough, after all the DLC is released, I'll probably tackle HH right away.

Sober

goodfella said:
I would play with a mouse, but there is so much mouse lag, and I cant stand screen tearing.
Disable all that and especially mouse acceleration in the menus. I've never had problems with any mouse lag either. Also, just force VSync with D3DO or something.

duckroll

bonesmccoy said:
HH perhaps should have been the first DLC released. In fact, I wonder if at one time it was. The storyline is much more tied into the lore of the Mojave (Burned Man), and it just so much easier than Dead Money or OWB.

When I do my 'final' playthrough, after all the DLC is released, I'll probably tackle HH right away.

I agree completely. If HH was the first DLC to have been released, when there were no real expectations of how much content or how long a DLC for NV "should" be, it would have been fine. It's built as basically a getaway vacation from the Mojave, and it does a really good job at that. Unfortunately, put between Dead Money and Old World Blues, it just seems like an odd distraction to many, in what is otherwise an episodic but ongoing story-driven expansion series.

Razorskin

----- ------
Darkshier said:
HH is so awesome that I am planning a trip to visit Zion National Park in October. Screw the haters!

If some tribal guy offers you tea and tells you to kill a bear, don't do it.

duckroll

I just had a sick thought.

OWB and HH spoilers:

It would be fucking awesome to create a specific super stealth-guns sniper character, and rush to do OWB as soon as possible to get Christine's COS silenced sniper rifle and the Hazmat Suit Hood, then head into HH and try to complete every single quest as a complete stealth sniper badass from the highest points of the map, at night! :O

Varna

Is there a mod order recommendation list somewhere? Just downloaded a ton of mods and I know stuff can get really tricky at this point... :X

Gvaz

Banned
Varna said:
Is there a mod order recommendation list somewhere? Just downloaded a ton of mods and I know stuff can get really tricky at this point... :X
Read each of your mods readme to see what load orders work best. Anything that modifies anything else or two of the same thing (like guns) has to be loaded in order.

You could use an auto sorter, but that's iffy at best.

duckroll

Varna said:

I think in general you're safe if you load order is like this:

[Main game ESM and DLC ESMs here]
[All other mod ESMs here]

[All gameplay fixes and stat related mod ESPs here]

[All mod ESPs which add major changes (graphics, weather, etc) which affects the entire game world]

[All mod ESPs which add content in specific places or individual locations]

Varna

Gvaz said:
Read each of your mods readme to see what load orders work best. Anything that modifies anything else or two of the same thing (like guns) has to be loaded in order.

You could use an auto sorter, but that's iffy at best.

Most of my mods don't really include load order information, one does but it's mainly in regards to running it with another mod I don't intend to use.

duckroll said:
I think in general you're safe if you load order is like this:

[Main game ESM and DLC ESMs here]
[All other mod ESMs here]

[All gameplay fixes and stat related mod ESPs here]

[All mod ESPs which add major changes (graphics, weather, etc) which affects the entire game world]

[All mod ESPs which add content in specific places or individual locations]

Thank you. Seems to be working fine. I can't figure out where interface type mods should go through. They seem to get overwritten if I put them in early, or overwrite other mod files later.

Jerk

Banned
duckroll said:

OWB and HH spoilers:

It would be fucking awesome to create a specific super stealth-guns sniper character, and rush to do OWB as soon as possible to get Christine's COS silenced sniper rifle and the Hazmat Suit Hood, then head into HH and try to complete every single quest as a complete stealth sniper badass from the highest points of the map, at night! :O

I had the same thought. My level 3 Character currently has 70 guns :)

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
duckroll said:

OWB and HH spoilers:

I already did that... mostly with the Ratslayer though.

Varna

Actually. A lot of the mods ended up being half broken. :/ Going to do a fresh install and try again.

Here is what I'm trying to run...

Fallout NV + All available DLC
Detailed Normal maps
Project Nevada
Dynavision
Pipware UI
New Vegas Interface Revelation
FNV Enhanced Shaders lite
iHUD
Mod Control Menu (for ihud)
Nevada Skies
Weapon Mods Expanded (for all DLC weapons too)

And obviously I need the patches for WME and DLC for Project Nevada.
And obviously I need the

I really enjoyed Fallout 3, but when this game came out I was turned off by all the glitch videos. I wanna play it so bad now though, Is it finally playable on consoles? Its probably cheap now too right?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Varna said:
Actually. A lot of the mods ended up being half broken. :/ Going to do a fresh install and try again.
The reason for this is that DLC and official patches are still coming out. As it is right now, people make mods and then they get broken a month later by a new patch. Is the modder still around to mod? Who knows? Other modders hold off releasing because the game is still being updated.

Once Lonesome Road releases and Obsidian releases a final patch, mod support will start to solidify.

Goddamn, my new character made Wolfhorn Ranch his home and now gets mobbed by Legionarie Assassins what seems like every step he takes. :lol Good thing I've got Boone and ED-E watching my back: those Legion bastards are tough.

Think I'm gonna go wipe out Cottonwood Cove, just to make a point. :lol

Varna said:

Duck's post is really solid, but before you manually arrange it make sure you try the auto-sort in FOMM. I've only ever had to shift a couple of mods around after using the auto-sort.

Varna

jim-jam bongs said:
Duck's post is really solid, but before you manually arrange it make sure you try the auto-sort in FOMM. I've only ever had to shift a couple of mods around after using the auto-sort.

Good stuff. I forgot to even check for that.

The only issue now are the things that aren't part of the load order. Such as UI elements. Though I'm pretty close to getting everything working together. I just can't get the ihud to work right now. It needs the mod control center, but Project Nevada already comes with one... but it's not meant to handle anything but it's own options.

DarkKyo

CorkyFromLifeGoesOn said:
I really enjoyed Fallout 3, but when this game came out I was turned off by all the glitch videos. I wanna play it so bad now though, Is it finally playable on consoles? Its probably cheap now too right?
It was fine when it first came out. That is, I played it when it was first out and never encountered a single glitch.

Fjordson

moojito said:
Yeah, I've still got some dodgy wastelander outfit with +1 agi or something. Can't find anything good like my chinese stealth suit in fallout 3. I understand there's a stealth suit, but it doesn't have the cool effect :<
Haha, yeah man. I can't find shit. Have some nice weapons at this point, but really crappy armor.

CorkyFromLifeGoesOn said:
The 360 version has run great for me. Zero problems so far with it installed to the hard drive.

Ulchie

Banned
Gvaz said:
I have no problem with screen tearing and mouse lag either
I have issues with the sensitivity of my mouse in the menu's. It's friggin bonkers how sensitive it is and adjusting the sensitivity doesn't seem to fix the floaty mouse feel. Definitely an issue with it for sure.

zkylon

zkylewd
Blue Ninja said:
Goddamn, my new character made Wolfhorn Ranch his home and now gets mobbed by Legionarie Assassins what seems like every step he takes. :lol Good thing I've got Boone and ED-E watching my back: those Legion bastards are tough.

Think I'm gonna go wipe out Cottonwood Cove, just to make a point. :lol
The last patch really buffed those Legion Assassins. They'll come to you with Super Sledges, Thermic Lances, 12.7mm pistols, they don't kid around anymore.

Macattk15

Bleh.

So I reformatted and reinstalled windows when I just installed my new Motherboard and Processor.

Forgot to backup my local saves for all my Steam games. So all my hours in New Vegas seem gone.

Are they gone forever ... doesn't Steam save the files in their cloud? I'm so sad :(

duckroll

I dunno about the rest of you, but I play NV on the PC with a 360 controller. It works pretty well. I don't like using the KBM setup because the game doesn't really require much exact accuracy and moving around using wasd on the keyboard for long periods of time is much more uncomfortable compared to just using a pad. Navigating the Pipboy is also much faster using buttons compared to the cursor.

duckroll said:
I dunno about the rest of you, but I play NV on the PC with a 360 controller. It works pretty well. I don't like using the KBM setup because the game doesn't really require much exact accuracy and moving around using wasd on the keyboard for long periods of time is much more uncomfortable compared to just using a pad. Navigating the Pipboy is also much faster using buttons compared to the cursor.

The thing is, I play the game with mods which make the combat a lot more similar to a regular FPS so it doesn't feel right playing it with a controller. Add the fact that there are a bunch of additional hot-keys which I need access to and it gets really awkward. It's probably mostly preference though.

duckroll

jim-jam bongs said:
The thing is, I play the game with mods which make the combat a lot more similar to a regular FPS so it doesn't feel right playing it with a controller. Add the fact that there are a bunch of additional hot-keys which I need access to and it gets really awkward. It's probably mostly preference though.

Yeah, if I used more mods like that, I would consider using KBM. I prefer to play with VATS though.

Grinchy

Banned
Even with a controller, I find that I can aim well enough that I can forgo VATS most of them time. I am playing with a PS3 controller emulating a 360 controller. I played FO3 on PS3 and I had to use VATS way more in that version. I'm sure the iron sights help but for whatever reason the controller just feels perfect in NV.

duckroll

I can forgo VATS completely with certain guns, but I don't use VATS because I have to. I use it because I like targeting body parts and playing RPG combat in a more turn based fashion.

Macattk15

Macattk15 said:
Bleh.

So I reformatted and reinstalled windows when I just installed my new Motherboard and Processor.

Forgot to backup my local saves for all my Steam games. So all my hours in New Vegas seem gone.

Are they gone forever ... doesn't Steam save the files in their cloud? I'm so sad :(

So its all lost for good?

duckroll

Macattk15 said:
So its all lost for good?

Sorry to say, it's probably gone for good. They deactivated Steam Cloud for NV on like, the first or second day of release because the autosave file was being overwritten for many people with older versions because of a bug. I don't believe they ever put the feature back in. :(

Somtaaw said:
I suggest the use of toxic waste there just for the lulz
I did. The Legion really hates my guts. :lol

Those bastards are tough, too. It's quite a change, going from my Level 45 character who could one-shot most fools he ran across to having to hide from some goddamn Legionary Assassins because they wiped out Boone and ED-E and I'm running out of Stimpaks. :lol

At least they drop good loot. Hello, Hunting Rifle!

Top Bottom