• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Fjordson

Haha, the Hunting Rifle seems damn good. Just picked up a few for the first time from some fiends outside of Camp McCarran.

I'm loving this game. Random small detail that I just noticed today: I love how you can see The Strip from so far away, no matter where you are.

Also, I picked up Veronica as a companion on the way to McCarran. Her being melee-focused is sort of weird. Probably going to switch back to Boone. So often he takes out shit that I didn't even know was ahead of me :lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Fjordson said:
Haha, the Hunting Rifle seems damn good. Just picked up a few for the first time from some fiends outside of Camp McCarran.

I'm loving this game. Random small detail that I just noticed today: I love how you can see The Strip from so far away, no matter where you are.

Also, I picked up Veronica as a companion on the way to McCarran. Her being melee-focused is sort of weird. Probably going to switch back to Boone. So often he takes out shit that I didn't even know was ahead of me :lol

Nah, keep Veronica. In the beginning of the game she's far and away the best companion. Or at least I think so. She's so ridiculously powerful she can one hit kill just about anything short of a Cazador. And if you get her
a set of Brotherhood armor
she might as well be invincible.

klee123

Honest Hearts is much easier.

Play dead money if you like a challenge. However if you do go through dead money first, you get the fucking awesome holorifle! Possibly one of the best weapons in the game.

I'm being haunted. Every one in a while, I'll spy a friendly NPC ahead of me, which rather quickly disappears again. Had it happen during Dead Money for the first time, when a friendly NPC (and there's pretty much none of them IN the Sierra Madre) just disappeared behind a corner. Had it happen with a couple of other NPC's too, and just a few moments ago I saw a random NPC walking the wasteland and then blinking out of existence.

Gamebryo's a scary engine, that's for sure. :lol

Sysgen

duckroll said:
I agree completely. If HH was the first DLC to have been released, when there were no real expectations of how much content or how long a DLC for NV "should" be, it would have been fine. It's built as basically a getaway vacation from the Mojave, and it does a really good job at that. Unfortunately, put between Dead Money and Old World Blues, it just seems like an odd distraction to many, in what is otherwise an episodic but ongoing story-driven expansion series.

I heard DM was so good that I wanted to save it for last. Glad then that I choose to play through HH first. I'm also enjoying it. There's some challenge. Some of the enemies are tough enough for my lvl 31 char. Thinking about it now, ah I did set the game on hard during the main game. The dialogue in HH is also rich and compelling and the environment is well done.

Speaking of the main game, it's my second play-thorugh and I may not finish it the way I intended, siding with one of the factions. The game is asking me
to destroy the BOS and morally I can't do it
so I moved onto the dlc.

Fjordson

Seraphis Cain said:
Nah, keep Veronica. In the beginning of the game she's far and away the best companion. Or at least I think so. She's so ridiculously powerful she can one hit kill just about anything short of a Cazador. And if you get her
a set of Brotherhood armor
she might as well be invincible.
Interesting. Guess I'll have let her stay longer then.

Found this shack with a basement called Brewer's Beer Botlegging and got some damn good loot from a random gun cabinet. My new Gauss Rifle two shots everything. So awesome.

hemtae

Fjordson said:
Interesting. Guess I'll have let her stay longer then.

Found this shack with a basement called Brewer's Beer Botlegging and got some damn good loot from a random gun cabinet. My new Gauss Rifle two shots everything. So awesome.

I think there's also a duffle bag laying around outside that has some pretty good armor

moojito

Not far from where you start out in new vegas there's this camp next to a train tunnel entrance with about 5 bandits of some kind. I remember looking them over when I started and then kept on walking since I'd get my ass kicked. Just passed by there on my way do find a BoS scout and zapped 'em all good with my tri-laser rifle. Good times!

Oh man, was excited to get back into NV with all of the DLC, but it's way, way more unstable than it was at launch. Even the launcher crashes 2/3 tries. The in-game crashes usually seem to result in killing Nvidia's OpenGL driver for some reason.

Gonna try reinstalling the driver, I guess, but it's already latest. Any graphic settings I should change for stability? (GTX285)

EDIT: Sure enough, XP SP3 compat mode and disabling Steam Community seem to have upped the stability by a mile.

Entwain

Bought this day 1 and just now finished it, got annoyed after my save corrupted ugh. Loved the
Independent new vegas ending, yes man wasn't as annoying as anticipated.

Just finished. Really loved the endings they wrote for the characters.

Some people might hate these slideshow/epilogue endings, but I feel like it's a nice way to reflect on what I did for 40/50 hours.

Hasphat'sAnts said:
Just finished. Really loved the endings they wrote for the characters.

Some people might hate these slideshow/epilogue endings, but I feel like it's a nice way to reflect on what I did for 40/50 hours.

I like them as well. It would be awesome if they could run them in-engine though as opposed to just still pictures. Also the song is so relaxing.

Lionheart1337 said:
I like them as well. It would be awesome if they could run them in-engine though as opposed to just still pictures. Also the song is so relaxing.
Technically, they're pictures run in-game. :lol Your character goes into cutscene mode, gets locked to first person, and then the slides appear before his eyes while in the background an NPC aptly named "Ron" does the narrating.

It's pretty hilarious.

duckroll

Lionheart1337 said:

I would actually like even less "in-engine" stuff from the slides. I love the opening slides for Avellone's DLCs where they use original artwork and illustrations instead of in-engine screenshots like Honest Hearts did. I wish all the ending slides had original artwork depicting the events being narrated. It would be so cool.

Metal B

I have a really love-hate relationship with the game. On one hand it's really fun to have such a big world to discover and to see what is behind the next corner. On the other hand i feel like i have an OCD problem. I collect everything in this stupid dessert, bring it to my hideout, sort it in different containers and sell only weapons and armor. Just because of the thought, that i could need it at some point later in the game and i know, that i properly never need that crap. My companions are pretty much just drudges for me. I seriously need help.

Ponti

Castor Krieg said:
I have only one question - does this game have the same ass-raping meaningless ending as F3?
Nope. That's not to say the ending to New Vegas is stellar or anything but it's no where near as stupid as Fallout 3's.

Hungry Ghost said:
So far, I'm level 21, and have logged 35 hours into this game and it feels like i barely made a dent in the world.

In 2 characters, I'm at 118 hours. I would say that I've done about 50% of the quests, and discovered about 60% of the locations.

I just took the perk that shows you all the locations in the map... I feel like I've cheated. :(

todahawk

bonesmccoy said:
In 2 characters, I'm at 118 hours. I would say that I've done about 50% of the quests, and discovered about 60% of the locations.

I just took the perk that shows you all the locations in the map... I feel like I've cheated. :(

I'm about 50 hours into FO3:GotY and there's no way I'm touching that perk.

tokkun

Lakitu said:
I'll never understand why Honest Hearts is rated so low. Yeah, it may be a little on the short side but so what? It's fun to explore, the environment makes for more combat variety, nice loot, good dialogue / story and Zion is awesome.

How is the story good? It's just "peaceful tribe versus violent tribe" with very little further depth. The only vaguely interesting part was the Survivalist logs, which aren't even part of the main story.

moojito

The perk showing you all the locations seems very unhelpful. One of the only ways to tell if there's somewhere you've not been is the little arrows on the compass, and they go away once you discover the place.

hemtae

moojito said:
The perk showing you all the locations seems very unhelpful. One of the only ways to tell if there's somewhere you've not been is the little arrows on the compass, and they go away once you discover the place.

you could try fast traveling to that place and if you haven't been there it will say you haven't discovered it yet

moojito

hemtae said:
you could try fast traveling to that place and if you haven't been there it will say you haven't discovered it yet

Yeah, but then you'd need to keep checking the map to make sure you're heading in the right direction for it, or set a marker, etc. Not exactly fun times.

I'd rather be roaming about the wasteland, see an arrow and waste several hours checking it out instead of doing whatever quest I was on. That's what this game is all about!

Fjordson

Just hit level 18 and I've built up a decent set of weapons (just got This Machine and a Gauss Rifle). I think I might have to jump into Old World Blues tonight. I keep hearing how excellent it is.

I really love this game. 22 hours and I haven't even been into New Vegas yet. And I have still have a ton of side quests.

I wonder if Obsidian would ever work on another Fallout title. This did pretty well sales-wise, right? It'd be awesome if they did. I mean, I had a blast with Fallout 3, but I've been enjoying this way more for some reason.

duckroll said:
Errrrr.... where?

Apparently Imaginationland. Seriously though, I distinctly remember a thread here about Bethesda being unhappy with them but now I can't find it, and if you don't remember it then bugger me I must have made it up D:

duckroll

jim-jam bongs said:
Apparently Imaginationland. Seriously though, I distinctly remember a thread here about Bethesda being unhappy with them but now I can't find it, and if you don't remember it then bugger me I must have made it up D:

I remember a lot of threads about various Obsidian interviews, all of which degenerate into "oh NV is so fucking buggy I bet Bethesda is pissed!" and so on, but I definitely don't remember Bethesda ever saying anything in any official capacity that they were unhappy with Obsidian or that they would never work with them again. It would be a really weird thing to say, considering how they're still releasing the DLCs...

duckroll said:
I remember a lot of threads about various Obsidian interviews, all of which degenerate into "oh NV is so fucking buggy I bet Bethesda is pissed!" and so on, but I definitely don't remember Bethesda ever saying anything in any official capacity that they were unhappy with Obsidian or that they would never work with them again. It would be a really weird thing to say, considering how they're still releasing the DLCs...

Yeah in retrospect it doesn't make a lot of sense. It's been a long day, duck.

Fjordson

Yeah, I guess it's pretty early to even speculate on that kind of thing. I just really hope they do.

Not that I wouldn't welcome Fallout 4 from Bethesda. Any new Fallout is okay with me.

Lakitu

st5fu
tokkun said:
How is the story good? It's just "peaceful tribe versus violent tribe" with very little further depth. The only vaguely interesting part was the Survivalist logs, which aren't even part of the main story.

You can always simplify things like that. Dead Money = old rude tries to blow up your head and you have to help him to survive; Old World Blues = Some brains need your help against an evil brain at his fortress.

It definitely has the worst story of the 3 with the least amount of depth but I still found it at least conceptually interesting and well-written. Especially how Joshua Graham fits into it.

jim-jam bongs said:
Maybe you are thinking of interplay, not obsidian.

Grinchy

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
I remember this too, actually. Though, we could both just be remembering a sensational headline and a thread full of people posting replies just to it.

Sotha Sil

jim-jam bongs said:
Yeah in retrospect it doesn't make a lot of sense. It's been a long day, duck.

You scared me. Actually scared me. Don't do this to me again. The thought of a future bereft of Avellone Fallouts broke my heart.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
jim-jam bongs said:
i remember something like this. Bethesda didnt say outright they wouldnt work with them again but the impression i got from the interview was that Bethesda wasnt happy with Obsidian. Iirc, it was right after the game got low reviews and Bethesda tried to strong arm review sites over it.

Is it just me, or after getting a companion the games get really easy? I just got
Boone
and he shoots everything before I even have a chance to react. :D

Castor Krieg said:
Is it just me, or after getting a companion the games get really easy? I just got
Boone
and he shoots everything before I even have a chance to react. :D
Companions loaded with good armor and weapons, plus a high charisma, makes the game into easy mode. I had my homie in combat armor with a really nice sniper rifle, and 10 CHA. The only thing I have to fight for myself, are Deathclaws. Everything else gets absolutely destroyed by my 2 followers.

Castor Krieg said:
Having a blast so far with the game.

How viable is Sneak build or Melee build in this game? Any advice for when I create characters like that?
A melee only build is very viable, I've beat the game with one.

Enco

Castor Krieg said:
Having a blast so far with the game.

How viable is Sneak build or Melee build in this game? Any advice for when I create characters like that?
Very.

Got the game a long time ago and recently really been into it. Been playing it a lot.

I had to free 3 slaves from a slaver village (well I wanted to). There were loads of ways to do that but I decided to stealth it. I waited for night time, told my companion to wait behind a rock and got my silenced pistol ready. A guard luckily walked by and I shot him quietly. I stole his outfit and went on in. One by one I took the slavers down. Got behind them and crushed them with my sledgehammer. Mainly because I ran out of silencer ammo (I now have a better silenced gun). To get the slave collar key I had to pickpocket the holder. He was in a room with 3 so I wanted to kill them at the end. I freed the slaves (later found out two had died later) and then called my companion to finish off the leader in his room.

I could've bought the slaves for full price, haggled them down, freed them the way I did or killed them and put them out of their misery.

Awesome.

daedalius

In Old World Blues, you can get the stealth suit and an INVERTED PROTON AXE (basically a power-axe), which does absolutely ridiculous amounts of damage, especially to robots and power armor (and you can repair it with a ton of regular proton axes that drop, as well as throwing proton axes, which are almost prodigious). So I'd say a melee build is very viable.

I had given up on NV, as I didn't enjoy the setting/locales as much as FO3 (I did enjoy all the mechanics updates though), but Old World Blues is definitely making me like it again.

Top Bottom