• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Zerokku said:
Finally getting back around to playing this again after I picked it up at launch, and I'm Hhving some trouble succesfully getting to Ranger Station Bravo to do the return to sender quest, my guy is level 12. I've been taking what I would have assumed would be the safest route just following the road east from the strip, but have been killed by deathclaws twice on the way now. Is there another way I should be going or...?

Quoting myself since I got BOTP'd. Any tips?

balladofwindfishes said:
Just beat Dead Money
I forgot the Snow Globe!! Any mod out there that lets me return to the Sierra Madre? Kind of stupid that you can't return...

You can noclip your way in using the console, I believe

balladofwindfishes said:
Just beat Dead Money
I forgot the Snow Globe!! Any mod out there that lets me return to the Sierra Madre? Kind of stupid that you can't return...
The snowglobe just gives you 2,000 Sierra Madre chips, so unless you really want it on your shelf...

Blue Ninja said:
The snowglobe just gives you 2,000 Sierra Madre chips, so unless you really want it on your shelf...

If you collected all of the schematics, Sierra Madre chips are great. All of my Stimpacks and Doctor's Bags come from the vending machine in the bunker.

one85x

Zerokku said:
Quoting myself since I got BOTP'd. Any tips?
I guess you could jump into the lake near Ranger Station Alpha and swim most of the way there. You'll likely still run into Cazadores and Lakelurks though.

cory021

Neo Member
duckroll said:
Don't buy New Vegas or any DLC until Sunday. Sunday is Fallout Day for the Quakecon Sale, and it might go down to 50% for all items.
I might as well ask. But does this include Xbox? I got $5 worth of Microsoft points and a half price deal would be perfect.

If I can buy it, which DLC would you recommend? Honest Hearts look pretty nice, but I'm hearing Old World Blues is a lot of people's favorite.

duckroll

cory021 said:
I might as well ask. But does this include Xbox? I got $5 worth of Microsoft points and a half price deal would be perfect.

I don't think this Quakecon sale has anything to do with any service other than Steam, sorry.

Branson

duckroll said:
Don't buy New Vegas or any DLC until Sunday. Sunday is Fallout Day for the Quakecon Sale, and it might go down to 50% for all items.

God Damnit. Bought OWB when it was 7.50. Oh well.

Wanace

duckroll said:

Wow, lucky I saw this post, was just about to pull the trigger.

It's already a steal at the price it's at now, highway robbery if it goes lower.

Does this game have any badass pistols you can use? I always loved using pistols in Fallout 3 even though the best one was the scoped magnum I believe (been a long time since I played). I'm planning on playing hardcore mode my first runthrough.

O.DOGG

Cryptozoologist said:
Wow, lucky I saw this post, was just about to pull the trigger.

It's already a steal at the price it's at now, highway robbery if it goes lower.

Does this game have any badass pistols you can use? I always loved using pistols in Fallout 3 even though the best one was the scoped magnum I believe (been a long time since I played). I'm planning on playing hardcore mode my first runthrough.

I used mainly pistols for close to medium range. Yes, there are a number of good pistols in the game, and the DLC packs add a few more. Plus a couple of them can be outfitted with a silencer if you're into that kind of thing.

duckroll

The best pistol in the game in terms of general use and feel would be the .45 Auto Pistol which is based on the M1911. It's one of the weapons added in the Honest Hearts DLC, and it also adds .45 Auto ammo, which does not exist in the normal game.

Jerk

Banned
Fuck vault 34.

It was an annoying enough place to beat the first time around, but since I am using Project Nevada this time around, it has been hell.

Worth it for the best shotgun in the game though.

duckroll

http://twitter.com/#!/ChrisAvellone/status/99893092257234944

Avellone said:
Bitter Drink recipe came from the Twin Mothers in the East, so you'd have to find someone who met them. Hmmm.

Hmmmm indeed!

duckroll

Teknoman said:
Better to play New Vegas with the 360 controller or Mouse+keyboard?

Probably depends largely on preference and play style. I play NV with a 360 controller on the PC, but some people prefer KBM too.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
duckroll said:
Probably depends largely on preference and play style. I play NV with a 360 controller on the PC, but some people prefer KBM too.

New Vegas was personally annoying to play with a gamepad on PC. No aim assist means I cant hit anything for beans. Mouse + Keyboard work perfect anyway.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
AwesomeSauce said:
New Vegas was personally annoying to play with a gamepad on PC. No aim assist means I cant hit anything for beans. Mouse + Keyboard work perfect anyway.
If you build your char around VATs and use it for pretty much every encounter it's pretty easy. I just wrapped up a 70+ hour playthrough of FO3 the other month that I played with a 360 pad exclusively and I never felt frustrated.

Lothars

I know nothing has been announced for Lonesome Road DLC but is their any rumors or anything for the released date? I would love for it to be released soon but who knows since OWB had been delayed.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Stallion Free said:
If you build your char around VATs and use it for pretty much every encounter it's pretty easy. I just wrapped up a 70+ hour playthrough of FO3 the other month that I played with a 360 pad exclusively and I never felt frustrated.

Yeah building a VATs character means you don't have to worry about real time aiming much, but in New Vegas, I loved the feeling of landing a clean head shot in real time while aiming down the sights. It is very satisfying especially with something like a Hunting Rifle.

Grinchy

Banned
Teknoman said:
Better to play New Vegas with the 360 controller or Mouse+keyboard?
I have used both and I vastly prefer the pad. I'm not even using a 360 pad, I'm using a PS3 controller emulated as a 360 pad.

I don't understand the aiming comments either as I find that I can aim very well without a mouse. I wouldn't play most PC games with a pad, but this is one of the ones I won't play with KB/M.

duckroll

Lothars said:
I know nothing has been announced for Lonesome Road DLC but is their any rumors or anything for the released date? I would love for it to be released soon but who knows since OWB had been delayed.

Jason Bergman has confirmed on the official forums that the DLC will be out in August. Since it was not announced this week, and they usually have to officially announce the date at least 2 weeks before release, it means Lonesome Road is due either on the 23rd or the 30th.

Is there any quick way to get the "Do 10,000 damage with x kind of weapon"? I've only got 7 achievements left and 3 of those are those kinds of ones, and I'd love to not spend 20 hours trying to grind explosive damage with my character that only has 15 explosives skill.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I got started with my Steam copy of New Vegas, and I was quickly reminded of how damn good this game is. I'm playing as a charismatic gunslinger with a sadistic side. I just arrived at Primm after murdering pretty much everyone in Goodsprings. My goal is to basically wreck havoc and go up against all of the factions.

Liquid Helium said:
Is there any quick way to get the "Do 10,000 damage with x kind of weapon"? I've only got 7 achievements left and 3 of those are those kinds of ones, and I'd love to not spend 20 hours trying to grind explosive damage with my character that only has 15 explosives skill.

I can't verify this myself right now, but there are weapons like the Multiplas Rifle and the Tri-Beam laser rifle that shoot multiple shots per round, and if you fire outside of VATS, each shot has a separate chance to critical. Theoretically, unless this has changed since Fallout 3, you should be able to score high amount of damage with these weapons if you can land all the shots with a sneak attack.

Liquid Helium said:
Travel to the Ultraluxe without companions and with a somewhat high powered weapon(of the skill you're attempting to receive an achievement in), and kill everyone until you receive the achievement. Then reload and repeat the process with another weapon of a different skill class.

I had to this for the unarmed, melee, and explosives trophy(all of the skills were under 20), and I acquired each in ten minutes flat.

O.DOGG

Is Old World Blues worth it at $5? I was considering waiting for Lonesome Road, and snatching both during the Christmas sale...

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
bought all three dlc pieces for 15 euro, I've heard DLC to the Fallout games are quite spectacular.

How should I "play the game" ? Should I just play the game like usual or should I actively go and try to go new vegas -> dlc 1 -> dlc 2 -> dlc 3 etc ?

Corky said:
bought all three dlc pieces for 15 euro, I've heard DLC to the Fallout games are quite spectacular.

I'm on the fence with that. I also heard New Vegas DLC are all great, Old Blues being the best, however it's still 15EUR for all 3...

How much time can you get from each DLC?

volturnus

Banned
Corky said:

How should I "play the game" ? Should I just play the game like usual or should I actively go and try to go new vegas -> dlc 1 -> dlc 2 -> dlc 3 etc ?
Some consider it a spoiler, but I would take a look at the loot in the dlcs, since some of the F3 dlcs were better played before finishing the main quest because of the weapons you could get, etc... I don't know about NV dlc, though.

O.DOGG said:
Is Old World Blues worth it at $5? I was considering waiting for Lonesome Road, and snatching both during the Christmas sale...

Hell yes. It's a fantastic DLC. Well worth $5, especially if you take the time to explore instead of powering through the main questline.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
WEGGLES said:
Fuck... I screw up the agegate on steam and can't buy DLC for newvegas now... DESPITE OWNING THE GAME

Lol, don't you hate that? I think you can still buy it through an internet browser or restart Steam to undo it.

Sober

Corky said:

Dead Money and Old World Blues they recommend you be about level 20 or 15 (respectively) before you start them since they are a bit tougher or have higher skill checks. Honest Hearts you can play more or less when you want but regardless when you start the DLC, you cannot return the the Mojave until you finish.

For Honest Hearts, I think you should try it when you start hearing about New Zion while in the Mojave, and the Burned Man (a former Legion character) especially since HH fleshes those out.

Dead Money and Old World Blues are part of the arc with Lonesome Road -- if you've been to Primm and spoken to the guy in charge of the courier service there, he talks about
the courier who was supposed to take your job
. LR isn't out so I can't say what the order is but you can do DM or OWB in any order since there is some continuity but it doesn't depend on any of your actions.

Corky

thanks for the replies, I don't highlight the spoilers but out of curiosity how does one start the DLCs? Is there an option or are they found in the game by talking to npcs?

duckroll

Corky said:
thanks for the replies, I don't highlight the spoilers but out of curiosity how does one start the DLCs? Is there an option or are they found in the game by talking to npcs?

Once you have the DLCs, and they're checked in the Data Files to be loaded in the launcher, when you start a new game or load a save game you'll get a message about each one.

Sora

Could you guys check the language options on the Properties for Fallout: New Vegas? To reach there you just have to right-click on the NV game at the Library.

I just got gifted the game, but the guy who sent me was from Russia (the game was still $10, normal price $19,99), and I was doing some research and just found out that this version has some problems, like not receiving last updates and all... could anyone from Russia confirm this?

Corky

duckroll said:
Once you have the DLCs, and they're checked in the Data Files to be loaded in the launcher, when you start a new game or load a save game you'll get a message about each one.

Much obliged.

Sober

Sora said:
Could you guys check the language options on the Properties for Fallout: New Vegas? To reach there you just have to right-click on the NV game at the Library.

I just got gifted the game, but the guy who sent me was from Russia (the game was still $10, normal price $19,99), and I was doing some research and just found out that this version has some problems, like not receiving last updates and all... could anyone from Russia confirm this?
I have English, French, German, Italian and Spanish from an NA copy. Also, no updates? I don't have it installed but your version ingame should be 1.4.0.525.

ezekial45

Banned
Hey all, i had to get a new Steam account and i have to purchase this game again. I'm still on the same comp, but i deleted the local content for Fallout New Vegas that was used for the other account.

Are all my saves lost? Or is it located in a file in the steam folder.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It uses cloud saving on Steam, so I think your save should be available when you install the game again.

edit - missed the new account part, sorry :(

Amneisac

Whelp, looks like I messed up. I spent hours Saturday morning modding my Fallout: NV and I was playing through having a great time. Saw OWB go on sale so I thought I'd grab it. Now I can't get past the main menu because I have no UI at all. It looks like darnified is jacked, but I can't seem to fix it. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Old World Blues got.

Just starting Honest Hearts now and loving it. This game is an embarrassment of riches. Breadth of content, writing, voice performances and sound design, visuals, etc...

Sober

Try launching from Steam, i.e. don't launch using FOMM or from the FOSE, because the default launcher usually replaces modified ini files. You also want to delete the darnUI files in \textures\ui or whatever. The former just purges the font changes that you needed to make for darnUI (also mouse acceleration comes back).

hemtae

Amneisac said:
Whelp, looks like I messed up. I spent hours Saturday morning modding my Fallout: NV and I was playing through having a great time. Saw OWB go on sale so I thought I'd grab it. Now I can't get past the main menu because I have no UI at all. It looks like darnified is jacked, but I can't seem to fix it. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Happened to me and it was CaliberX that was messing with it

Sora

Sober said:
I have English, French, German, Italian and Spanish from an NA copy. Also, no updates? I don't have it installed but your version ingame should be 1.4.0.525.

Hm... didn't installed it yet, but mine has different languages: English, Polish, Czech and Russian. I am doing a little research at Steam and don't know if that talk about the game not receiving the last updates is true. The game in Russian version even has a different publisher (1C Company), different achievement, store and DLC page. That means if I want to acquire the DLC I'd have to find a Russian guy to gift me them, because the NA version won't work...

Anyone know if I can change the version via support, or if I acquire it from the NA store I'll get 2 Fallout: New Vegas on my Library?

Top Bottom