• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Just bought the game and all the current DLC for $25. Looking forward to digging into it on my PC and seeing if it's as good of an experience as Fallout 3 was on my 360.

Amneisac

Sober said:
Try launching from Steam, i.e. don't launch using FOMM or from the FOSE, because the default launcher usually replaces modified ini files. You also want to delete the darnUI files in \textures\ui or whatever. The former just purges the font changes that you needed to make for darnUI (also mouse acceleration comes back).

Thank you! I'm not sure what fixed it exactly, I tried to run through Steam launcher and it updated some files and CTD'd. I just re-did my UI mods after that and it's working again. Thank you!!

Amneisac said:
Whelp, looks like I messed up. I spent hours Saturday morning modding my Fallout: NV and I was playing through having a great time. Saw OWB go on sale so I thought I'd grab it. Now I can't get past the main menu because I have no UI at all. It looks like darnified is jacked, but I can't seem to fix it. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Were you using FOMM to launch your mods?
nvm!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The launcher keeps crashing. I've had this problem before, but it worked after a few tires. Just let me play the game, dammit.

What of the Fallout:NV DLC's are worth it. I bought my copy at launch and didnt play it (UGH.... never letting THAT happen again) so I am starting it soon.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I've had two crashes total in 40 hours of play time, and those were both consecutive and while attempting to fast travel in OWB. In other words, the game has been extremely stable and maybe it's because I haven't modded a single file.

zkylon

zkylewd
The_Inquisitor said:
What of the Fallout:NV DLC's are worth it. I bought my copy at launch and didnt play it (UGH.... never letting THAT happen again) so I am starting it soon.
General consensus seems to be OWB, then DM, then HH, though OWB might not be as good if you don't play DM first...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
After killing a room full of convicts by chucking dynamite like a mad man, I've decided that I need a respect mod so I can put some points into explosives. I tend to always choose the same skills (speech, guns) and maybe it's time for something new.

Snuggler said:
After killing a room full of convicts by chucking dynamite like a mad man, I've decided that I need a respect mod so I can put some points into explosives. I tend to always choose the same skills (speech, guns) and maybe it's time for something new.

Did you already get the perk where you can tag a 4th skill?

momolicious said:
Anyone getting crashing issues in the game after playing for a while?

Yes. The game runs more and more like shit the longer you play, it requires frequent reboots.

Snuggler said:
The launcher keeps crashing. I've had this problem before, but it worked after a few tires. Just let me play the game, dammit.

You're using mods/NVSE aren't you? This is basically to be expected, it's one of the reasons I always go offline when I'm playing NV so I don't spam people with five "jim-jam is playing" notifications in a row.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Mutagenic said:
I've had two crashes total in 40 hours of play time, and those were both consecutive and while attempting to fast travel in OWB. In other words, the game has been extremely stable and maybe it's because I haven't modded a single file.

I've never had the PC SKU crash, until I played OWB. I've had about 3 crashes when trying to fast travel inside the DLC. So, if you play OWB, save often!

Sora

Guys, I'd like to see if anyone here could help me out:

A guy here at my Friendlist actually wants all the 3 DLC for New Vegas, but he has a problem: he lives in Ukraine and his store strangely shows the New Vegas NA version at sale, but the DLC's actually are the Russian version, and they're incompatible.

I don't know if you guys are onto this region-problem, but actually there are 2 or 3 versions of New Vegas (NA/1C/Cenega), and you have to buy all the aditional content from the same region or it won't work (yes, believe it).

So I'd like to ask if anyone here wouldn't be up to a trade involving these 3 DLC. He would gift any game at the equal value.

Please PM me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jim-jam bongs said:
You're using mods/NVSE aren't you? This is basically to be expected, it's one of the reasons I always go offline when I'm playing NV so I don't spam people with five "jim-jam is playing" notifications in a row.

I haven't installed mods any yet. I checked the Steam forum and it seems like a common issue. I disabled the in-game overlay and it launched.

Anyways, one thing I love about this game is the potential for evil.

choppy16qno.jpg

choppy2pq9i.jpg

set you free, eh?

choppy3npc8.jpg

I still got the journal!

Sora said:
Guys, I'd like to see if anyone here could help me out:

A guy here at my Friendlist actually wants all the 3 DLC for New Vegas, but he has a problem: he lives in Ukraine and his store strangely shows the New Vegas NA version at sale, but the DLC's actually are the Russian version, and they're incompatible.

I don't know if you guys are onto this region-problem, but actually there are 2 or 3 versions of New Vegas (NA/1C/Cenega), and you have to buy all the aditional content from the same region or it won't work (yes, believe it).

So I'd like to ask if anyone here wouldn't be up to a trade involving these 3 DLC. He would gift any game at the equal value.

Please PM me.

Pretty sure there's a thread for this.

Sora said:

Any way I can check that? My F:NV is from Russian version. Will Steam prevent me from buying the DLC? Save menu version info shows ENGLISH btw.

Fjordson

Good to see people picking this up =D

I just started Old World Blues since I hit level 20 last night. I already love it. The writing is so great. And I got the auto-healing stealth suit. It looks awesome.

Fjordson said:
Good to see people picking this up =D

I just started Old World Blues since I hit level 20 last night. I already love it. The writing is so great. And I got the auto-healing stealth suit. It looks awesome.
The suits awesome, I just wish it would stop making me a med-x addict.

QuiteWhittle said:
Travel to the Ultraluxe without companions and with a somewhat high powered weapon(of the skill you're attempting to receive an achievement in), and kill everyone until you receive the achievement. Then reload and repeat the process with another weapon of a different skill class.

I had to this for the unarmed, melee, and explosives trophy(all of the skills were under 20), and I acquired each in ten minutes flat.
Cheers, got them all, if anyone else is going to try this I'd advise putting the game difficulty on very high so that everyone has more HP, you get the achievements much quicker than normal.

Only 1 Achievement left to get. Who thought it would be a good idea to make winning 30 caravan games an achievement? I'm going to be here all night doing the most boring thing in the game.

Sora said:
Hm... didn't installed it yet, but mine has different languages: English, Polish, Czech and Russian. I am doing a little research at Steam and don't know if that talk about the game not receiving the last updates is true. The game in Russian version even has a different publisher (1C Company), different achievement, store and DLC page. That means if I want to acquire the DLC I'd have to find a Russian guy to gift me them, because the NA version won't work...

I also have EN/PL/CZ/RU languages, but I don't see how that could prevent you from buying or activating DLC? Will Steam detect your version and not allow you to make a purchase?

Sora said:
Hm... didn't installed it yet, but mine has different languages: English, Polish, Czech and Russian. I am doing a little research at Steam and don't know if that talk about the game not receiving the last updates is true. The game in Russian version even has a different publisher (1C Company), different achievement, store and DLC page. That means if I want to acquire the DLC I'd have to find a Russian guy to gift me them, because the NA version won't work...

Anyone know if I can change the version via support, or if I acquire it from the NA store I'll get 2 Fallout: New Vegas on my Library?

Well, I TOFTT - ENG/PL/CZ/RU version, I can confirm you can buy the DLC normally (mine was denominated in EUR).

zkylon said:
Steam is redownloading the whole game just because i bought OWB...is this normal? It's downloaded 600mbs already.

Did it start at a percentage > 0%? If it did, that's just standard. It adds DLC you haven't installed to the total size of the game, so when it starts downloading it will start at like 92% and just download the DLC.

Enco

Big plan to wipe out all of Caesers legion tomorrow. I'll smuggle some weapons into their main base (sneak of 100 :D) and try silently take them all out. I think I'll get an extra companion (already have Raul) and tell them to wait somewhere hidden in case anything goes wrong.

I got the finesse perk and Mr Sandman. I should hopefully do well. Going to be great fun.

In other news, I followed a line of legionaires and killed them all one by one. Was pretty fun not being detected.

Enco said:
Big plan to wipe out all of Caesers legion tomorrow. I'll smuggle some weapons into their main base (sneak of 100 :D) and try silently take them all out. I think I'll get an extra companion (already have Raul) and tell them to wait somewhere hidden in case anything goes wrong.

I got the finesse perk and Mr Sandman. I should hopefully do well. Going to be great fun.

In other news, I followed a line of legionaires and killed them all one by one. Was pretty fun not being detected.

Just teared through Cottonwood Cove, Aurelius didn't even know what hit him from other side of the map.

Enco

Castor Krieg said:
Just teared through Cottonwood Cove, Aurelius didn't even know what hit him from other side of the map.
I totally wiped out the docks/village too. Completely silently. No one noticed a thing.

I feel the fort will be a tad harder though haha.

How are you planning on getting past the gate without them attacking you? I always clear The Fort on my Han/Luke runs, and I always get rushed as soon as I open the main gate, and then again once I enter Caesar's tent. That's even with stealth-boys.

Got on the game and DLC on steam like a lot of people(downloading, now). I have no desire to play with mods, but is there anything out there that I need to make the game run properly? The d3d9.dll isn't necessary anymore right?

Just finished OWB. Wow, that was great. Really grueling, maybe level 12 wasn't the best time to get in there. But LAER+energy weapons really saved my butt. Gained 10 levels while I was there...

VistraNorrez said:
Got on the game and DLC on steam like a lot of people(downloading, now). I have no desire to play with mods, but is there anything out there that I need to make the game run properly? The d3d9.dll isn't necessary anymore right?

To avoid crashing like crazy on Win7-64, set the executable to run as Windows XP SP3 (right click -> properties, it's easy to find) and run in windowed mode.

That fixes most of the problems. I still have a crash every few hours but it's always while loading - without the SP3 setting it will dump you whenever the hell it likes. (Windowed mode prevents another really irritating "crash" where the game keeps running but your display window is turned into a desktop portal. So you basically gotta learn how to blind quit, or just play in a window)

It's possible disabling aero might help too but I haven't tried it yet.

moojito

I like that when you roll up to a faction they all seem to have a big pile of quests as well. I picked up a few for the legion, decided they were all tools then started killing them.

zkylon

zkylewd
jim-jam bongs said:
Did it start at a percentage > 0%? If it did, that's just standard. It adds DLC you haven't installed to the total size of the game, so when it starts downloading it will start at like 92% and just download the DLC.
Nope, started from 0%, says there's about 8 gigs remaining, 10 hours, etc. I've got a lot of mods...maybe it's weirding out the cache validation or something...

zkylon said:
Nope, started from 0%, says there's about 8 gigs remaining, 10 hours, etc. I've got a lot of mods...maybe it's weirding out the cache validation or something...

Hmm it shouldn't be, mods are all overrides rather than replacements so they don't touch Steam at all. My advice for all mod users is to make a Steam backup of the game just in case anyway, so you may want to do that once the DLC is all finally downloaded.

Sober

zkylon said:
Restart Steam or validate files, though the former is usually faster to get your download back on track.

Sora

Castor Krieg said:
Well, I TOFTT - ENG/PL/CZ/RU version, I can confirm you can buy the DLC normally (mine was denominated in EUR).

Castor, but my situation was different hehe. It's not that the Russian or European version wouldn't get the DLC. They do, but my problem was that the Store I access here is the North American one, and I got gifted the New Vegas from the Russian store (and therefore the russian game).

As I did a little more research, it seems that it has all the patches, but for me the problem is that as I can't access the Russian store here, I am not able to buy the DLC for my version of game. The NA DLC won't work for me because it only works with the NA version of New Vegas.

But I am working on it, I hope the support can change my game version.

Well the sale has motivated me to finally play through OWB. Was going to wait until I was back home with my rig, but I think I'll just start a new character with no mods and a 360 pad since I've never played all the way through on a controller.

Luthos

So I'm doing Honest Hearts right now.

If there somewhere I can sell stuff in Zion, or do I basically have to drop stuff and only keep what I want to (eventually) take out?

Castor Krieg said:

In my game, he stayed indoors in his office.
I sniped everyone in Cottonwood Cove, with the Gobi rifle, except him.
Then lastly I kicked in his door, and caught him behind his desk.
He barely made it to his feet before I emptied an entire 10mm submachine gun clip into him, with Boone and ED unloading as well.
After I killed every Legion soldier, I dumped the toxic barrels on the town.

Sweet.

hemtae

Luthos said:
So I'm doing Honest Hearts right now.

If there somewhere I can sell stuff in Zion, or do I basically have to drop stuff and only keep what I want to (eventually) take out?

There's a place to sell stuff

zkylon

zkylewd
jim-jam bongs said:
Hmm it shouldn't be, mods are all overrides rather than replacements so they don't touch Steam at all. My advice for all mod users is to make a Steam backup of the game just in case anyway, so you may want to do that once the DLC is all finally downloaded.
Download halted at about 20% and considered itself finished, so i guess it's just Steam's weird way of downloading DLC...

Top Bottom