• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
legacyzero said:
This game isn't GFWL?!?!

Wtf....

It's sweet, delicious Steamworks. An all around quality title, if you ask me.

Castor Krieg said:
The drawback is that you have to do a lot of sidequest for EXP purposes. I mean, who doesn't love his character being all powerful? So even if I have the urge to murder any NCR soldier I see I will most likely do all quests for them, and then switch to Ceasar.
?

This is true, but I've still managed to level up fairly quickly since I've racked up so many kills. Plus, I have a massive stockpile of items and I'm making tons of money thanks to all the corpses I've looted.

Now I have to decide on what faction I want to take down next.

legacyzero

Banned
Wallach said:
Nope.

Also for some reason it is hard to believe this game came out ten months ago.

I know. I never took the time to see if it was or not.

I just assumed since Fallout 3 was GFWL that they would do it too. Dammit, i was hoping to double dip on the cheevos.

Hey guys, I'm not as patient as I used to be in games, I just reached Novac and I'm wondering if it's worth it to forget about my quests for a while and explore locations and dungeons?

legacyzero

Banned
L0st Id3ntity said:
Hey guys, I'm not as patient as I used to be in games, I just reached Novac and I'm wondering if it's worth it to forget about my quests for a while and explore locations and dungeons?

oh of course. As a matter of fact, that's kind of the idea. You'll be surprised what you find.

ZeroRay

Just got this on the Steam sale.

Holy shit, the first 10 minutes of this game has more personality than the entirety of Fallout 3, way better writing too.

Hopefully I don't get any serious glitches.

MrOogieBoogie said:
So guys, what are the ESSENTIAL New Vegas mods for a first-timer?

If you're like me, and a novice mod-user, stick to the small things first. Stuff like backpacks, new weapons, unlimited companions; they're easy to use and you can tell which stuff breaks gameplay and which doesn't.

For weapons stuff, I have a better 'That Gun' mod, and one for a silenced tactical 10mm SMG.

I also use a mod that makes me level up 1.5x slower. It makes things a lot more challenging and enjoyable on the higher difficulty levels. You probably would want to test out how you're finding difficulty though before using that. One thing I like is that it prevents you from becoming the Fallout-Ubermensch, a problem that ruined F3 for me.

Of course, FOMM is a necessity. Get that before you get anything else.

legacyzero

Banned
ZeroRay said:
Just got this on the Steam sale.

Holy shit, the first 10 minutes of this game has more personality than the entirety of Fallout 3, way better writing too.

Hopefully I don't get any serious glitches.

Dude, you should be just fine. Just do yourself a favor. Keep MULTIPLE save files.

Wallach said:
It's not just the tone. The whole tribal angle for example was not a part of Fallout, it was something that didn't exist until Fallout 2. There's definitely progression there but it wasn't totally consistent between the first two games. Fallout 2 is the one that set the direction for how the world of Fallout was going to grow, and to do that there was a little retcon work involved.

What retconning took place?

I'm trying to remember the ending I got at the conclusion of Fallout. I think my guy, who was an unhappy fellow after Ian got killed by the green goo at Boneyard, shot the overseer after being kicked out of the vault. I recall it being a particularly graphic animation, even for Fallout. My ending was a pick, I think, of a leather clad dude wandering off into the wastes.

I've been into the Fallout series since the first dropped... what, 13 years ago now? damn

Got to Novac, really enjoying it. It's great to be back in the world of Fallout. Although I'm not finding it all that different from 3. I liked the opening of 3 more. I haven't really seen anything at this point that makes me think the writing is so much better in NV. The voice cast is noticeably larger, which is great, but the acting seems about even. I thought Sunny Smiles was kind of bad, though. Her enunciation was too clear, felt awkward. But really it's very minor. That stiff facial animation will hurt anyone's acting.

The atmosphere isn't any better or worse just different. I think I like the DC area more, but it's still early. Cool to see a different setting anyway, and one that goes back to the first 2 games. I havent really done much with the reputation yet. Mostly staying on the morally good side. I'm not doing hardcore mode either. That's for the second round.

I'd have played it all day, but my wife deserves time on the computer too. Can't wait to get back to it.

Wallach

bonesmccoy said:
What retconning took place?

I'm trying to remember the ending I got at the conclusion of Fallout. I think my guy, who was an unhappy fellow after Ian got killed by the green goo at Boneyard, shot the overseer after being kicked out of the vault. I recall it being a particularly graphic animation, even for Fallout. My ending was a pick, I think, of a leather clad dude wandering off into the wastes.

I've been into the Fallout series since the first dropped... what, 13 years ago now? damn

'97 was the first one, yeah.

A lot of the retcon-type stuff was about the vaults and their purpose. The entire vault experimentation bit is one such thing, as that is not a part of the first Fallout. It was something that came about during the development of Fallout 2 along with the creation of the Enclave. The Enclave itself is the other big element that was retconned into the story, and that one kind of has a lot of holes and bits that don't really work where you just kind of have to let it go.

The inclusion of tribals was another thing that really didn't get inserted into the world of Fallout until Fallout 2. It was something that they felt would be interesting thematically, and served the purpose of tying the player character to the previous vault dweller at the outset.

The overall timeline of the Fallout world needed a lot of repair work between Fallout and Fallout 2.

zkylon

zkylewd
bonesmccoy said:
I was thinking about that same thing a few weeks ago. Man, it sure makes you feel old...

zkylon said:
I was thinking about that same thing a few weeks ago. Man, it sure makes you feel old...

You don't know old until people born in the 90s start talking about "old movies" and you realise you saw them in a cinema.

kai3345

Banned
havent played it yet but heard some stuff regarding a certain Dead Money character, but does Old World Blues take place before Dead Money?

Seems odd to release them in that order if true, even moreso considering theyre DLC

duckroll

kai3345 said:
havent played it yet but heard some stuff regarding a certain Dead Money character, but does Old World Blues take place before Dead Money?

Seems odd to release them in that order if true, even moreso considering theyre DLC

No. There is no real "before" or "after". The DLCs take place when they take place, which depends on when the player decides to do them.

Sober

Wait, does it not matter if Dead Money is done before Lonesome Road? I don't think I remember
Christine ever specifically telling the Courier about Ulysses in DM, except for the ending slides which don't count,
so I guess they covered their bases on what order you can do the DLC in.

Wallach said:
A lot of the retcon-type stuff was about the vaults and their purpose. The entire vault experimentation bit is one such thing, as that is not a part of the first Fallout. It was something that came about during the development of Fallout 2 along with the creation of the Enclave.

I played F2 years ago, but Vault experiments didn't really play a role there I think. Or maybe it was just one line. The big revelation that there were in fact social experiments came with Fallout 3.

Wallach

Castor Krieg said:
I played F2 years ago, but Vault experiments didn't really play a role there I think. Or maybe it was just one line. The big revelation that there were in fact social experiments came with Fallout 3.

I don't think they did, because they didn't implement the hooks into Vault 8 & 13 where you were supposed to find out that stuff. But all of that stuff was written and pre-determined as part of the story during Fallout 2's development (including the specific experiments of a bunch of the vaults).

Wallach said:
I don't think they did, because they didn't implement the hooks into Vault 8 & 13 where you were supposed to find out that stuff. But all of that stuff was written and pre-determined as part of the story during Fallout 2's development (including the specific experiments of a bunch of the vaults).

So it was simply cut content from Fallout 2? Awesome, never knew that.

Chances next Fallout will run on Skyrim's engine? Any news for next Fallout at all?

EDIT: Started Honest Hearts - the DLC area is really big! I guess after tiny Mass Effect 2 DLC you expect to rush through things in 30 minutes, but I've been there for 2 hours now walking around, doing quests, etc.

Wallach said:
A lot of the retcon-type stuff was about the vaults and their purpose. The entire vault experimentation bit is one such thing, as that is not a part of the first Fallout. It was something that came about during the development of Fallout 2 along with the creation of the Enclave. The Enclave itself is the other big element that was retconned into the story, and that one kind of has a lot of holes and bits that don't really work where you just kind of have to let it go.

Are those things actual retcons, or just reveals?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Here are the mods I want to use:

Nevada Skies
A World of Pain
Project Nevada
Weapons Mod Expanded
MTUI
ELECTRO-CITY
New Vegas Bounties I
Radio New Vegas - The Secret Stash

Thinking about:

Enhanced Shaders
EVE - Visual Enhancements

Questions:

1. The reason I'm wary about Enhanced Shaders (or any texture/shader mods) is because I have a mid-level PC and I feel it'll be too taxing. Are my worries unfounded?

2. Also, is there a better radio station mod than Secret Stash?

3. And finally, anything essential I'm missing from my mod list for a first play-through? Also, will I need the NVSE to install any of them, or will the Mod Manager suffice?

Yeah, I know I posted this in the mod discussion thread, but since this thread is more active I thought I might get a quicker response here. Really want to play the game soon!

Jhriad

Crashed to desktop 4 times in the past 40 minutes. Tried the multithreading suggestion and turning off anti-aliasing in addition to fiddling with some settings. This game just doesn't want me to play it.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
So I started my first play though on Sunday and I'm really enjoying the game so far. Way more than FO3 in fact which I didn't really take to. I found that with my play style in NV I kind of skulk around the desert so is there an energy based super long range sniper rifle early on? I just left Prim and I'm constantly being ambushed by baddies.

mikespit1200 said:
so is there an energy based super long range sniper rifle early on?

There is, but it wouldn't do you much good. Using a weapon below its Skill requirement (and most good weapons have it set at 75 or 100) has its disadvantages e.g. sniper rifle crosshair will move.

As for your question - sniper rifles are rare in this game. There is one in
Fort McCarran in New Vegas
that you can pick with no problems. Equivalent Energy Gun rifle is found at another location if you didn't take Wild Wasteland perk - wiki
YCS/186

Fjordson

MrOogieBoogie said:
Radio New Vegas - The Secret Stash
Is this more retro music for the radio?

That's the one thing I wish I could mod on my 360. I love the music, wish there was more of it. At 28 hours in the repeats are pretty noticeable.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Fjordson said:
Is this more retro music for the radio?

That's the one thing I wish I could mod on my 360. I love the music, wish there was more of it. At 28 hours in the repeats are pretty noticeable.

Yeah, it adds about a hundred new songs.

daedalius

Man, I need to play through honest hearts if the new DLC is coming out soon.

Just finished Old World Blues and Dead Money... liked one, hated the other.

moojito

Cryptozoologist said:
Right click on the game on your Steam list, go to "Local Files" and click "Verify Integrity of Game Cache".

At least if you do that you can save yourself some trouble if there are only a few files messed up.

And if you have mods installed, disable them first.

Cheers for this tip, it seems to have done the trick! Only had to download 900mb of stuff instead of 7gb+

M.D

I take my words back.

I've said on some thread on gaf that Fallout 3 and New Vegas are two of the most boring games I've ever played.

It may still be true for 3 since I have not revisited it, but damn am I liking New Vegas!
I still feel this game could be a lot better in regards to the core gameplay and the open world experience it provides could be a lot better, but overall it's still a great game.

I really like the story so far.
I'm actually liking a lot of the characters in this game and there's some great dialog as well.

I invested the most in Speech (Proven useful many times), Science, Guns and now also investing in Lock picking now. I just got Rex as my Non-Human companion.
I also have Boon. They pretty much kill everything before I even pull out my gun.
Which is good because I feel kind of weak but whatever.

I like how many option you have in this game from killing everyone to stealing everything or get your way with the power of words. I always have this urge to be the peace maker in these games. I dunno why lol

I rarely play a game more than once so it's sad I never get to experience the other side of the game. I always feel like I'm missing out :(

I've just entered the strip (I'm not sure if you call it that. The big place with all lights basically :p) . I think I'm going to stop for today since I need to get some sleep soon. :(

Castor Krieg said:
Chances next Fallout will run on Skyrim's engine? Any news for next Fallout at all?

Don't think there's anything other than Bethesda saying they have every intention of continuing the series. I think there was about 2 1/2 years between the release of Oblivion and Fallout 3. I hope they aren't following the same timeline for Skyrim to Fallout 4. Even worse was an over 4 year wait from the announcement. I kind of expect something around E3 next year, but that's really just a hope. I'm sure they've had plenty of talks about it, though.

And I hope they use a mix of Bethesda and Obsidian people for the development. I'd love to see what would happen if you get Emil Pagliarulo, Chris Avellone, and Josh Sawyer together.

I'd also like to see a more customizable difficulty. Allow me to choose which elements of Hardcore mode I'd like to use during regular play. I like the idea of broken limbs needing special items or characters, but I don't like ammo taking up weight. Or whatever.

-BLITZ-

VistraNorrez said:
but I don't like ammo taking up weight. Or whatever.
"Carrying 1000000 bullets, 2 armor & 35 guns ?"
"35 missiles, no weight!"

:))

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I got used with the ammo limitation. What weapons I have in my inventory only those typical ammo I choose to carry reaching 260kg from 300/315kg/the Old World Blues perk, yet for those who like big stuff like missile launcher you can't carry 20 or 30 missiles because of the weight reaching to wear only your underpants, after all this is a game and I want to enjoy the weapons and have fun to their full power.

So despite missing the Quakecon sale, I'm finally going to get FNV, now when I played the 360 version which I rented during launch it was buggy as hell. Has the PC version despite a ton of patches (and maybe fan ones) gotten any better from when it was first released?

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
So despite missing the Quakecon sale, I'm finally going to get FNV, now when I played the 360 version which I rented during launch it was buggy as hell. Has the PC version despite a ton of patches (and maybe fan ones) gotten any better from when it was first released?

I didn't notice any major bugs, it was pretty smooth all the way (passed 70hrs played now).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm about 12 hours in and there have been two crashes. It's definitely better than the console versions, but it's not guaranteed to be stable either. At some point or another, you'll probably deal with some bugs, but it's worth putting up with them.

Fjordson

The 360 version is infinitely better than it was at launch. No issues with it thus far. I have a friend who played through the PC version last month and he said it's also much, much better than it was at launch.

Your mileage may vary of course.

VistraNorrez said:
Don't think there's anything other than Bethesda saying they have every intention of continuing the series. I think there was about 2 1/2 years between the release of Oblivion and Fallout 3. I hope they aren't following the same timeline for Skyrim to Fallout 4. Even worse was an over 4 year wait from the announcement. I kind of expect something around E3 next year, but that's really just a hope. I'm sure they've had plenty of talks about it, though.

And I hope they use a mix of Bethesda and Obsidian people for the development. I'd love to see what would happen if you get Emil Pagliarulo, Chris Avellone, and Josh Sawyer together.

I'd also like to see a more customizable difficulty. Allow me to choose which elements of Hardcore mode I'd like to use during regular play. I like the idea of broken limbs needing special items or characters, but I don't like ammo taking up weight. Or whatever.
I would love to see some Obsidian staff return, though it seems unlikely. <3 Avellone.

-BLITZ-

I might say that in Old World Blues I haven't got a single crash until I reach the last quest. I haven't manage to reach the point or metting the last boss since 7 times my pc crahed, after that, it started to crash randomly at random time; long/short. I don't get it why, yet don't be scared because of what I said. :(

Yes, I can say the patches made the PC version to work much, much better. Differences can be seen.

Did you get the game at launch or more recently?

Got it a week ago.

Also, words can't say how the DLCs are done in this game - I'm near the end of Honest Hearts, and I checked in-game clock - took me
6-7
hours to do everything. That's what I call a DLC! The main quest was 7/10, I thought they could have handled main DLC character way better. But screw the MQ, the
Father in the Cave
stuff was MINDBLOWING!!!

EDIT: Started Dead Money. Scared like hell.

Fjordson

Castor Krieg said:
Got it a week ago.

Also, words can't say how the DLCs are done in this game - I'm near the end of Honest Hearts, and I checked in-game clock - took me
6-7
hours to do everything. That's what I call a DLC! The main quest was 7/10, I thought they could have handled main DLC character way better. But screw the MQ, the
Father in the Cave
stuff was MINDBLOWING!!!

EDIT: Started Dead Money. Scared like hell.
Yeah, they've all got some interesting stuff to them. And Old World Blues is even meatier than HH.

You know I have to say when you first stumble upon that town that was "visited" by the Legionaries ranks as one of the creepiest things I've seen in "non-horror" gaming. I mean
They have people who have just been crucified all of the place. It really looks like they fucking devastated the town and people like you rarely see in gaming

Wallach

bonesmccoy said:
Are those things actual retcons, or just reveals?

They were retcons. The way the Enclave is involved particularly, as they would have had implications on the plot of the first game. The game's timeline was restructured in some cases to accommodate those changes, as the Enclave had to be retroactively put into events prior to Fallout 2.

Top Bottom