• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Wallach said:
They were retcons. The way the Enclave is involved particularly, as they would have had implications on the plot of the first game. The game's timeline was restructured in some cases to accommodate those changes, as the Enclave had to be retroactively put into events prior to Fallout 2.

How exactly were they retconned in though? The storyline goes, iirc, that Enclave scouting parties didn't wade out into the Master's area until after the original game had ended. The only thing that appears to be retconned is the Enclave's awareness of some of the Vaults, but that itself doesn't really involve that much massaging.

Wallach

bonesmccoy said:
How exactly were they retconned in though? The storyline goes, iirc, that Enclave scouting parties didn't wade out into the Master's area until after the original game had ended. The only thing that appears to be retconned is the Enclave's awareness of some of the Vaults, but that itself doesn't really involve that much massaging.

The Enclave were not just aware of some of the vaults - the entire purpose of the Vaults and their construction is the Enclave's doing. The oil rig was equipped with the capability of both monitoring and controlling vaults remotely.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Animation-Imp said:
I'm jumping in...

one question though...

PS3 version: stay away or playable?

PS3 version is perfectly playable and I played my first play-through on the triple, but if you have a capable PC then by all means play on PC.

Sotha Sil

Animation-Imp said:
I'm jumping in...

one question though...

PS3 version: stay away or playable?

I play it on PC, my girlfriend on the PS3. Both versions are pretty similar. A few freezes here and there, but perfectly playable. Go for it!

KarmaCow

I've told myself I wouldn't look at guides to see the options but the
Volare!
quest annoyed me. I guess I shouldn't have helped since they made it pretty clear what the plan was but I just expected at least an option to voice disagreement considering the beginning of the quest. Maybe I'm missing something but it seems odd that there was nothing consider I had the option
to send Jack's crush into hail of rockets just to be sadistic

Also is it normal that Veronica says little about
the possible takeover in the Brotherhood base? Both options are pretty shitty especially since I know little about Hardin and it would be nice to get more details. It seems pretty one sided so far but that's my take on most the quests so far. It's either help the impotent NCR or give up and let the other brutal factions take over, possibly gaining some security at the cost of pretty much everything else.

I still haven't moved forward in the critical path (still haven't done Ring-a-ding-ding), so I'm guessing the quests will converge later but it feels like I'm missing options.

KarmaCow said:
I've told myself I wouldn't look at guides to see the options but the
Volare!
quest annoyed me. I guess I shouldn't have helped since they made it pretty clear what the plan was but I just expected at least an option to voice disagreement considering the beginning of the quest. Maybe I'm missing something but it seems odd that there was nothing consider I had the option
to send Jack's crush into hail of rockets just to be sadistic

Also is it normal that Veronica says little about
the possible takeover in the Brotherhood base? Both options are pretty shitty especially since I know little about Hardin and it would be nice to get more details. It seems pretty one sided so far but that's my take on most the quests so far. It's either help the impotent NCR or give up and let the other brutal factions take over, possibly gaining some security at the cost of pretty much everything else.

I still haven't moved forward in the critical path (still haven't done Ring-a-ding-ding), so I'm guessing the quests will converge later but it feels like I'm missing options.
They do converge later. The choices you're making for the Brotherhood are particulary important in some cases, and can come back to bite you in the end. Without spoiling too much:

[End-game spoilers]
All major questlines require you to 'deal' with certain factions in the Wasteland, including the Brotherhood. If you've done the entire Brotherhood questline and kept McNamara as an Elder, there's a possibility they survive the events of the game. Otherwise, they might not.

I usually stick with the NCR during my playthroughs. I've done the Legion and the rest, but like the NCR best. I especially love allying myself with
the Khans, the Brotherhood, the Followers, the Boomers and the Enclave
, and watching them blow shit up by my side. :lol

Grinchy

Banned
Wow, why did I wait so long to look into weapon modding? My varmint rifle with scope and extended clip is pure joy. Now whenever a vendor has an attachment, I feel like I better buy it. I should really get into making my own ammo and stuff too.

Wallach

Grinchy said:
Wow, why did I wait so long to look into weapon modding? My varmint rifle with scope and extended clip is pure joy. Now whenever a vendor has an attachment, I feel like I better buy it. I should really get into making my own ammo and stuff too.

The custom ammo is quite important, definitely do not ignore that.

Yeah, my current character is the first that's really been recycling ammo. I also bought out Contreras' entire stock of .308 ammo. Now I have more than 3000 rounds in my inventory. :lol

Sotha Sil

Wallach said:

I'm ashamed to say I've never used them so far (on hard mode/hardcore). The game seems easy enough as it is, so far. Maybe I'll have to on very hard, though!

Wallach

Sotha Sil said:
I'm ashamed to say I've never used them so far (on hard mode/hardcore). The game seems easy enough as it is, so far. Maybe I'll have to on very hard, though!

Well, I guess I wouldn't say it's important from the angle that you actually need it or anything. It just makes your character significantly more effective in combat. Much like me carrying the Bozar around in F2, it's not always about what's necessary!

I will say it is more important for some weapons than others. Shotguns for example you really want to be carrying a fair amount of slugs at all times - they aren't technically "custom" but it's a lot easier to keep stock on hand when making it yourself.

Sotha Sil

Wallach said:
Well, I guess I wouldn't say it's important from the angle that you actually need it or anything. It just makes your character significantly more effective in combat. Much like me carrying the Bozar around in F2, it's not always about what's necessary!

I will say it is more important for some weapons than others. Shotguns for example you really want to be carrying a fair amount of slugs at all times - they aren't technically "custom" but it's a lot easier to keep stock on hand when making it yourself.

To be fair, I'm not using guns much on this playthrough. The ballistic fist is ripping arms off thugs in one hit. Unarmed is so damn broken in this game :D (though it clearly showed its limits in Honest Hearts).

edgefusion

Is it possible to keep the slave collar the Brotherhood give you, or one like it? I want one for my character but I've not seen one outside of that mission.

edgefusion said:
Is it possible to keep the slave collar the Brotherhood give you, or one like it? I want one for my character but I've not seen one outside of that mission.

You can find a few in OWB too.

Gah, bloody Bethesda.

edgefusion

one85x said:
There's one in Freeside. It's on a corpse in the destroyed building across from Mick & Ralph's.
Awesome thanks! Just picked it up.

085e246b.jpg

Sysgen

Fjordson said:
Yeah, they've all got some interesting stuff to them. And Old World Blues is even meatier than HH.

Just finished OWB. The writing was tremendous. Thought they've reached their pinnacle in HH but there are just not enough superlatives for the quality and the amount of literary content in OWB. Thinking about taking a break before Dead Money to discover that there is actually other gaming content in the world. I believe I'm nearing 300 total hours.

Castor Krieg said:
I didn't notice any major bugs, it was pretty smooth all the way (passed 70hrs played now).

On my play through since the last patch I've done plenty of quests and the only one I can't finish is the one at the Aces Theater because the npc that I need to speak to just stands there on the stage unresponsive to my queries.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Despite what Jason said, I knew this would get delayed. Oh well.

Wonder what the other "interesting" items are? GOTY, more than likely, but what else?

duckroll said:

LOL This actually works out for. I was half expecting it to be coming out exclusively on some Gold Edition (which of course if going to be released since I just bought the damn thing! lol).

Oh anyone else agree about my comment from last night about going to that first Legion "visited" town?

EDIT: Also this is Obsedian, is anyone really surprised? You already had three on time! ;)

Does Lonesome Road allow the game to continue after you beat it?

Wallach said:
The Enclave were not just aware of some of the vaults - the entire purpose of the Vaults and their construction is the Enclave's doing. The oil rig was equipped with the capability of both monitoring and controlling vaults remotely.

I guess I see it now. And you know, I could handle that bit of retconmanship, but I could not stand how F3 turned every vault into some bizarro social experiment. Even F2 didn't go that far (I think you find out that Vault 8 got all of Vault 13's water chips due to a shipping error).

Manos, totally. It but it wasn't something unexpected. The first 2 Fallouts had very grim scense - like Horrigan massacring a family, children included. On each playthrough I put the crucified powder gangers out there misery. Last night I ironically received the 'Lord of Death: Kill 200 Things' XP boost while doing so :l

Finished Dead Money. The idea was fun, the characters involved great, but HOW CAN YOU FUCK UP SO BADLY WITH THE MOST RETARDED GAME MECHANICS IN THE LAST 10 YEARS?!?

Anyway, going OWB now, can't wait to hear more about the other Courier and their "battle". Lonesome Road is going to be epic. Shit, this RPG is approaching PS:T level...

bonesmccoy said:
I guess I see it now. And you know, I could handle that bit of retconmanship, but I could not stand how F3 turned every vault into some bizarro social experiment. Even F2 didn't go that far (I think you find out that Vault 8 got all of Vault 13's water chips due to a shipping error).
I remember reading some of the Fallout Bibles published on NMA by some Black Isle employee (was it Chris A) and it seemed the whole vaults as a social experiment was something they had developed (even if not fully implemented). I think someone at Bethesda took the idea and ran with it, but it's not biggest stretch. I'll see if I can find the various bibles posted. I'd look for a direct link, but I'd have no lunch break if I started it to try lol.

bonesmccoy said:
Manos, totally. It but it wasn't something unexpected. The first 2 Fallouts had very grim scense - like Horrigan massacring a family, children included. On each playthrough I put the crucified powder gangers out there misery. Last night I ironically received the 'Lord of Death: Kill 200 Things' XP boost while doing so :l
True, I guess it's the fact it was in 2-D sprite format that made the difference. I recall Spoony in a review of one of the Ultimia's mentioned child being sacrificed and people disemboweled all over the place. I guess the transition to 3D helps a bit. You are right though Fallout1/2 had a ton of really messed up things occurring in it, but a lot of it was simply described in text.

Speaking of the Powder Gang, does anyone recall if the cleaning them out of the
NCR Prison and rescuing people
quest was bugged early on (at least in the 360 version)? I recall never being able to get a completion on it.

I have to say I look forward to playing FNV on the PC again, even though I put a decent amount of time in the 360 one when I rented it (didn't beat it), because the world just feels a lot more "alive" more in line with say towns in Fallout 2, but also with outposts and a decent amount of NPCs there. Another thing is even though F2 had a lot of caves, no more damn subway/dungeon copy paste like in F3 are in FNV.

Here it is

Seems it was the mass social experiment.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Bible_0#Vault_system
Vault system
It was intended that while the player was reading the Vault 8 records in Fallout 2, he could discover a classified file (opened with a successful Science skill roll) which explained that Vault 8 was a "control Vault," designed to hold 1000 people and to open on time. This file was intended to foreshadow the discovery of the true and sinister purpose of the Vaults.
The player was also intended to apply his Science skill to the central computer in Vault 13 to obtain a history of Vault 13, the Overseer's involvement in the Vault Dweller's expulsion, and even worse, the true purposes of the Vaults. The Overseer was conscious of the true purpose of the Vaults as social experiments on a grand scale, and he drove out the Vault Dweller because he was afraid that he would ruin the experiment... or uncover it. Of course, the Overseer himself caused problems not long after this, according to Martin Frobisher, the leader of Vault 13 in Fallout 2:

"There used to be an overseer, many years ago, but he did a bad thing and many of our people left the Vault. Only to die in the Wastes, I'm sure. He was tried and sentenced to death for his crime. We haven't used the title since."
Martin did not see the Overseer executed, however... his information comes from the Vault 13 records passed down by his ancestors.
Basically, the Vaults were never intended to save the population of the United States. With a population of almost 400 million by 2077, the U.S. would need nearly 400,000 Vaults the size of Vault 13, and Vault-Tec was commissioned to build only 122 such Vaults. The real reason for these Vaults was to study pre-selected segments of the population to see how they react to the stresses of isolationism and how successfully they re-colonize after the Vault opens. Some of the experiments include:

Vault 8 A control Vault, intended to open and re-colonize the surface after 10 years. Vault City is the result. Unfortunately.
Vault 12 In order the study the effects of radiation on the selected population, the Vault Door was designed not to close. This is the Necropolis Vault... and the ghouls were the result.
Vault 13 Intended to stay closed for 200 years as a study of prolonged isolation, the broken water chip forced the Overseer to improvise and use the Vault Dweller as a pawn. Later study of the Vault 13 records by the Enclave led them to their current plan to end the war.
Vault 15 Intended to stay closed for 50 years and include people of radically diverse ideologies. Gathered from what you hear from Aradesh in Fallout 1, he has quite a bit of multi-cultural flavoring to his speech.
Vault 27 This Vault would be overcrowded deliberately. 2000 people would be assigned to enter, double the total sustainable amount. The location of this Vault is unknown.
Vault 29 No one in this Vault was over the age of 15 when they entered. Parents were redirected to other Vaults on purpose. Harold is believed to have come from this Vault.
Vault 34 The armory was overstocked with weapons and ammo and not provided with a lock.
Vault 36 The food extruders were designed to produce only a thin, watery gruel.
Vault 42 No light bulbs of more than 40 watts were provided.
Vault 53 Most of the equipment was designed to break down every few months. While repairable, the breakdowns were intended to stress the inhabitants unduly.
Vault 55 All entertainment tapes were removed.
Vault 56 All entertainment tapes were removed except those of one particularly bad comic actor. Sociologists predicted failure before Vault 55.
Vault 68 Of the one thousand people who entered, there was only one woman.
Vault 69 Of the one thousand people who entered, there was only one man.
Vault 70 All jumpsuit extruders fail after 6 months.
Vault 106 Psychoactive drugs were released into the air filtration system 10 days after the Door was sealed.
Rumor has it there were 122 different vault experiments. For Fan Fiction purposes, a lot of these vault experiments have been left open for you to play around with.

Castor Krieg said:
Probably Microsoft made them delay it.

It had to be either them or Sony because release dates are determined only by console manufacturers and Bethesda. Bethesda states "circumstances out of our control".

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Wallach said:
Eh, I would be for me, it's just that most of the parts are so very rare. Finding primers and powder sucks.

CinnabonJovii said:
That is awesome. Your post has now got me addicted to the Fallout Bibles. Thank you for introducing me to these.
Sure thing. I do apologize for the loss of all your free time.

There even more interesting since it was Chris Avellone who did them, considering his role in FNV.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
duckroll said:
SO MUCH FUCKING RAGE >:|

Jesus, at this point I'm either going to give it up and make a new character or get into the console and reduce my character's level. What am I supposed to do when classes start Bethesda? Maybe I won't be able to buy it when it comes out. Maybe I won't get the chance to buy it at all with all the OTHER things I want to spend money on? >:|

Who the fuck am I kidding? I'm gonna lap it up the second Steam releases it. ;__;

Top Bottom