• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
XeroSauce said:
Ooh, I hate the White Gloves, I completely ignored all their sidequests. I did not want to deal with them, they just creep me the hell out.

They are a little quirky, but we share a similar taste in cuisine, so I was more than happy to help them out.

I still have to track down the Khans, I missed them in my first playthrough so it should be interesting. I went with the Boomers the first time, I liked their style.

OMG Aero

So let me get this straight, at the start of Dead Money I get gassed to sleep and my companions decide to just leave me there and go back home?
Thanks Veronica you're a real pal.

Snuggler said:
They are a little quirky, but we share a similar taste in cuisine, so I was more than happy to help them out.

I still have to track down the Khans, I missed them in my first playthrough so it should be interesting. I went with the Boomers the first time, I liked their style.

If you take
Cannibalism
as a perk, can you more or less
align with them and their eating habits?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
disappeared said:
If you take
Cannibalism
as a perk, can you more or less
align with them and their eating habits?

Yeah,
the boss decided to work with me (where's the beef quest) when I told him that I also like to eat people. I tried the same line with the female boss, but apparently she wasn't fond of that tradition.

Snuggler said:
Yeah,
the boss decided to work with me (where's the beef quest) when I told him that I also like to eat people. I tried the same line with the female boss, but apparently she wasn't fond of that tradition.

Mortimer, right? That dude's such a boss.

OMG Aero said:
So let me get this straight, at the start of Dead Money I get gassed to sleep and my companions decide to just leave me there and go back home?

Well, all DLC are supposed to be played without the companions. Imagine it's Courier's own adventures before/after he/she met other people.

duckroll

OMG Aero said:

No, actually I would assume everyone with you got gassed too, but only you were captured, and your companions would have been left where they were, only to wake up and find you gone.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
disappeared said:
Mortimer, right? That dude's such a boss.

No doubt.

EYQlT.jpg

nismogrendel said:
I get two types of crashes.

1 - I load a save game and the roulette wheel screen appears. The wheel keeps spinning and never loads the game. On a regular load the wheel spinning animation will lag a few times. When it bugs out there is no lag the wheel spins smooth the whole time.

2 - I crash going outdoors. It seems to only happen on certain doorways. I never crash fast travelling to Novac and going in/out my room. When I was questing in Freeside everytime I left the King's hq I would crash.

Are you getting either of those?
The game would crash when entering or leaving buildings. The wheel would stop trying to load.

Tanolen said:
I'm suprised this game seems to have such longevity on steam. It seems to always being placed in the top 10.

Vegas' well runs deep. It has a lot to offer gamers from all backgrounds. Word of mouth certainly helps too.

They haven't even hinted at a GotY edition either. That will most certainly provide a nice spike in sales down the line.

Drazgul

Tanolen said:
I'm suprised this game seems to have such longevity on steam. It seems to always being placed in the top 10.

Hopefully other publishers take the hint and start supporting modding more for their games, too.

Probably not :(

XeroSauce

Snuggler said:
No doubt.

EYQlT.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I love the clohes and the design and the "culture".

But the
people eating and the sacrificing? No thank you.

Each to their own, I guess. I much prefer the Great Khans and the Brotherhood
of Advancement

I'm replaying F3, and I have to say the setting is better than New Vegas. There is something about ruined Washington that makes you fell what it was like before the war, how people lived, etc. I'm in Our Lady hospital now, and the atmosphere is just scary, with super mutants roaming the halls.

Mojave by default has large open areas, and you just don't feel the same. Can't wait to try Point Lookout DLC for some scary swamp action.

I think the reason why I never used energy weapons is because they're scarce in the beginning of the game and I couldn't justify putting points into them =\

With that said, after I went to Robocorp....I kinda need to respec

My EW builds usually rely on the Varmint Rifle and Laser Pistol for the first few levels. The VR has low strength and skill requirements and you can repair it to 100% really fast so it's a good temporary weapon until you get to Novac and raid the test site.

After you get Vigilant Recycler it's on like Donkey Kong. I usually only use max charged ammo in plasma weapons from that point on and I rarely run short.

jim-jam bongs said:
Even after all of the rebalancing, Energy Weapons + Science is still way better than Guns + Repair.

No, it is not. More so than in F3, in New Vegas Guns are far superior to EW. For the same amount of points they offer higher damage, more mods, etc. Also, cost-per-bullet is lower.

Teknoman

The energy weapon models are cool, but it seems like no one can make good looking lasers in first person games anymore.

Then again, the only weapons I have are the laser and plasma pistols and the laser rifle (just started).

Also any fixes to the New Vegas launcher crashing instantly unless you restart your PC?

Fjordson

Are there any dependable ammo vendors outside of the Strip? I'm not totally depleted thanks to looting, but I feel like every vendor I check never restocks. Or at least never restocks .44 and .308 ammo.

jim-jam bongs said:
My EW builds usually rely on the Varmint Rifle and Laser Pistol for the first few levels. The VR has low strength and skill requirements and you can repair it to 100% really fast so it's a good temporary weapon until you get to Novac and raid the test site.

After you get Vigilant Recycler it's on like Donkey Kong. I usually only use max charged ammo in plasma weapons from that point on and I rarely run short.

I still prefer my one handed guns. Once I got Maria? Shiiiiiieett, I pretty much fucked up everything in my path.

one85x

Fjordson said:
Are there any dependable ammo vendors outside of the Strip? I'm not totally depleted thanks to looting, but I feel like every vendor I check never restocks. Or at least never restocks .44 and .308 ammo.
The Khan Armorer always has a ton of ammo. She also buys weapons at near their total value (with low barter).

Is Honest Hearts worth playing if my character is focused on energy weapons and only has 30 survival? The carry restrictions sound really strict and it doesn't sound appropriate at all for him.

Castor Krieg said:
No, it is not. More so than in F3, in New Vegas Guns are far superior to EW. For the same amount of points they offer higher damage, more mods, etc. Also, cost-per-bullet is lower.

DT Reduction is far more useful than extra damage, and Plasma weapons have really high DAM to start with anyway. CPB is irrelevant since Vigilant Recycler means than you get back about 30 - 40% of your ammo anyway, and you can convert between different ammo types so the best approach is to focus on one type of ammo at a time (SEC, MFC or ECP) and convert everything else you find to max charge versions of that ammo. I usually have to buy ammo once every 5 levels.

The problem with Guns is that ammo crafting requirements are too high, they put far too many different components in the game. Primer and powder should be based on caliber and not type; i.e. low, medium and high caliber for each. Junk Rounds makes this a bit less relevant to be fair.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Man, I'm starting to regret killing Caesar so early in the game. His goons keep coming after me, and they overpower me so I'm forced to run like a bitch as they chuck grenades and spears at me. They just came after me as I was passing through Red Canyon, and sure enough a pack of Fire Geckos joined in, so I had a good 8 or 9 enemies chasing me at the same time. Somehow I aggravated a herd of Bighorners as I was trying to escape, and I ended up getting clusterfucked to death by all three groups of enemies. It was brutal.

dammit

14 hours in and I think I like it more than fallout 3. Everything about the story seems more fleshed out and interconnected. Guns are better, quests are better and some of the locations are better. It started off slow, and it was kind of hard to get into, but now, I can't stop playing.

Though I might have to add, I guess I missed it, but I don't quite get the crafting bullets or whatever it is. Maybe I haven't looked into it.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
A couple times now I've tried talking to random people, and the camera will zoom in one them like he or she is going to say something, and a second later it'll zoom back out without any dialogue. Is this normal?

Also, a couple times I've engaged conversation with someone who seems to be mute. For example, the Sgt. chick who sits outside the Saloon... her mouth moves but there's no voice. What's going on?

Fjordson

one85x said:
The Khan Armorer always has a ton of ammo. She also buys weapons at near their total value (with low barter).
Ooh nice, thanks. Didn't really explore everything at their Red Rock Canyon camp in detail yet.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I love my Brush Gun with my custom made .45-70 Gov't, SWC.

Notrollious said:
Though I might have to add, I guess I missed it, but I don't quite get the crafting bullets or whatever it is. Maybe I haven't looked into it.

A bullet requires 4 components to craft:

- A salvaged casing
- Lead
- An appropriate primer
- Some appropriate gunpowder

You can get all 4 by breaking down existing ammunition you don't need, and you also collect casings automatically as you fire your weapon. The tricky part is that there are many types of primer and a couple of powders:

Primer
Small Pistol
Large Pistol
Small Rifle
Large Rifle
Shotshell

Powder
Pistol Powder
Rifle Powder

So you need the right casing, the right type of primer, the right powder and some lead then you can salvage ammunition. The Wiki has a good page on it which includes the recipe requirements for each ammo type:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_crafting

jim-jam bongs said:
Not worth the high Survival prerequisite unless you're playing an unarmed character imo.

True, I go the cheap way and take off my armor when I`m just running around/exploring....and the mojave told tales of a naked man running around in a power armor helmet.

Reikon

MrOogieBoogie said:
A couple times now I've tried talking to random people, and the camera will zoom in one them like he or she is going to say something, and a second later it'll zoom back out without any dialogue. Is this normal?

Also, a couple times I've engaged conversation with someone who seems to be mute. For example, the Sgt. chick who sits outside the Saloon... her mouth moves but there's no voice. What's going on?

Nope, I've never encountered any of that.

Tom Penny said:
I despise how slow you run in this game. It takes forever to get to travel and decent distances.

There's a mod to increase running speed.

hemtae

MrOogieBoogie said:

I'm assuming you're talking about people added from the A World of Pain mod? Yeah that happens with me too and I'm assuming the creator didn't have the resources to voice the people he put in the game and for the dialogue he couldn't just use the generic assets.

Fjordson

jim-jam bongs said:
A bullet requires 4 components to craft:

- A salvaged casing
- Lead
- An appropriate primer
- Some appropriate gunpowder

You can get all 4 by breaking down existing ammunition you don't need, and you also collect casings automatically as you fire your weapon. The tricky part is that there are many types of primer and a couple of powders:

Primer
Small Pistol
Large Pistol
Small Rifle
Large Rifle
Shotshell

Powder
Pistol Powder
Rifle Powder

So you need the right casing, the right type of primer, the right powder and some lead then you can salvage ammunition. The Wiki has a good page on it which includes the recipe requirements for each ammo type:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_crafting
Nice. Gonna look into this a bit more.

Slightly ashamed to say that despite having put in 35 hours, I haven't even touched any of the crafting stuff.

zkylon

zkylewd
one85x said:
Where is the Khan Armorer? I haven't found her in my two playthroughs.

For weapon dealers, i usually cycle between the Gun Runners in their HQ and the 188, Contreras in McCarran, the Crimson Caravan (they sell you real weapons after you hand them the Gun Runners' blueprints) and the BoS. I wouldn't say you can count on them to restock often, but i try not to stop by the same guy two times in a row and that seems to work.

Tom Penny said:
I despise how slow you run in this game. It takes forever to get to travel and decent distances.
For PC, there are mods that add sprinting and changes running speed (i think you could even do this with a few console commands), like Project Nevada.

jim-jam bongs said:
crafting explanation
I'll add that you can buy primers, casings (you can buy them for 0 money, for some reason) and powders at a lot of shops, like the ones i mentioned above. You can get lead easily by breaking down scrap metal, and you find that everywhere. Problem with it is that it's not as easily recycleable as with EWs, but i find that most my ammo is crafted.

Man reason i don't use EW, is that they don't have iron sights. I think there's a mod that adds them, but it doesn't work well with another animation mod i'm using.

XeroSauce

Wallach said:
It's only Survival 45. I take it on a lot of my characters.

That's like 30 points not going into Lockpick or Speech. I never saw the usefulness of Survival other then the perks, and even then I can make up for it.

zkylon said:
Man reason i don't use EW, is that they don't have iron sights. I think there's a mod that adds them, but it doesn't work well with another animation mod i'm using.

Some of them do, the standard Plasma Rifle and its insanely destructive bigger brother the Q38 Matter Modulator both have a sight. That's why the Plasma Rifle model was updated from FO3, they took the vacuum tubes off the left side of the barrel so that it's better for sighting.

Wallach said:
It's only Survival 45. I take it on a lot of my characters.

Huh, I thought it was 70. That's not so bad, but I usually only put points into survival for my unarmed Bear Grylls builds anyway.

Fjordson

zkylon said:
Where is the Khan Armorer? I haven't found her in my two playthroughs.

For weapon dealers, i usually cycle between the Gun Runners in their HQ and the 188, Contreras in McCarran, the Crimson Caravan (they sell you real weapons after you hand them the Gun Runners' blueprints) and the BoS. I wouldn't say you can count on them to restock often, but i try not to stop by the same guy two times in a row and that seems to work.
Oh shit, I totally forgot about the Gun Runners guy at 188. Thanks.

And about Contreras, I unfortunately had him imprisoned so I could get This Machine. In hindsight, that was probably a bit shortsighted of me to resolve the quest that way since he doesn't sell much of anything now, but oh well.

Wallach

XeroSauce said:
That's like 30 points not going into Lockpick or Speech. I never saw the usefulness of Survival other then the perks, and even then I can make up for it.

Sure, but those are points not hard to make up down the line. Survival has some great perks, and it also lets you craft a bunch of powerful custom chems like Hydra (besides just making all your food/water significantly more effective).

Top Bottom