• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Shinjitsu

Banned
TheVampire said:
Technical problems...... typical Obsidian.

They get given a game engine already made ffs and yet they still can't produce a game without heaps of bugs.

Yeah, all the other Gamebryo engine games have been flawless bug free masterpieces.

Lard

Banned
Reviews are confirming that it is exactly like FO3, including the bugs, just what I didn't want. Skipping this for sure now.

Macstorm

I'm 13 hours into the 360 version and it has crashed 0 times so far. I really doubt this is much worse than Fallout 3. Don't be stupid, save often, and you'll be fine if it does crash. It's no "embarrassment," it's just the same engine we've been playing with for years now.

Sotha Sil

TheVampire said:

They get given a game engine already made ffs and yet they still can't produce a game without heaps of bugs.

Let's resist the urge to avatar quote... Let's. ;)

(._.)

Banned
Macstorm said:
I'm 13 hours into the 360 version and it has crashed 0 times so far. I really doubt this is much worse than Fallout 3. Don't be stupid, save often, and you'll be fine if it does crash. It's no "embarrassment," it's just the same engine we've been playing with for years now.
Like three reviews have been released and some people are making their minds up on it, lmao. I have a feeling the game will run fine for most people.

Pooya

TheVampire said:

That is true for all of their games (UE3, Bioware engines, now gamebyro), DSIII is their first game with a new engine, their own Onyx engine.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
TheVampire said:

Heh. Original engine still had problems

Is Steam cockteasing me? REALLY 3 HOURS?

Lard

Banned
"How could I tell you whether or not it's an insult that you're being asked to pay $60 for a game that's so technically deficient that it scarcely feels past the beta stage?" - Joystiq

That is not an encouraging endorsement.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Snapshot King said:
Comparing those sets is kind of unfair. Anecdotal as it is, I've played all of those games and have yet to ever run into the kind of fucked up game destroying bugs as I have in almost every Obsidian game I have ever played.
Well honestly i havent run into a game breaking bug on any of these games (that i can remember at least) but there are tons of forum posts of all of them (including Obsidians) and its easy to see that they do exist.

And as for reviewers downplaying bugs in other games thats not really anecdotal. Just reading through FO3 reviews its hard to find any acknowledgment of glitches. When bugs are discussed they are glossed over as "visual bugs."

Shinjitsu

Banned
Lard said:
"How could I tell you whether or not it's an insult that you're being asked to pay $60 for a game that's so technically deficient that it scarcely feels past the beta stage?" - Joystiq

We get it, you aren't getting the game.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Wallach said:
That doesn't surprise me. When I originally bought FO2 the guy gave me a free copy of the strategy guide and that thing was pretty massive. Unfortunately it was also filled with dumb.
The best thing about the strategy guide and FO2 is that is just barely fits in the huge box :lol

neoism

Gravijah said:
10 save slots per char for me. Not even kidding.
1355 saves 1 character on xbox......
I'm making a specific folder just for saves, on PC. I hope the issues aren't really that bad on PC, if so I'll just wait a month or two.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Characters clipping really didn't seem to bother me all that much. Hovering above ground a bit isn't too weird either.

Load times REALLY piss me off though. All the other glitches and shit, were entertaining in a way :D

I will say that the original FO3 for me had maybe 2 unexplainable crashes. The rest were cause I enabled bloom or HDR or whatever the heck it was. Once I turned it off, it was generally smooth sailing.

Wallach

water_wendi said:
The best thing about the strategy guide and FO2 is that is just barely fits in the huge box :lol

:lol

That is exactly where it went in the end. Unfortunately I lost the original manual noooooo

ckohler

FinKL said:
In a Justin.tv stream for FONV, supposedly they are banning people streaming it as orders from the publisher wtf? Don't want to show everyone how buggy the game is :lol

Also, I had FO3 on PC release day and couldn't get it to work for like a month :'(
Are you serious?! Maybe I won't stream it after all. Rather not get banned. :(

sdornan

water_wendi said:
Well honestly i havent run into a game breaking bug on any of these games (that i can remember at least) but there are tons of forum posts of all of them (including Obsidians) and its easy to see that they do exist.

And as for reviewers downplaying bugs in other games thats not really anecdotal. Just reading through FO3 reviews its hard to find any acknowledgment of glitches. When bugs are discussed they are glossed over as "visual bugs."
Do you work for Obsidian or something? Perhaps bugs weren't discussed as much in Fallout 3 reviews because they either a) weren't as frequent b) weren't as game-breaking.

DancingJesus said:
Yikes...

"If I were looking at Fallout: New Vegas as a product, I'd say it's shocking that it's being released to the public in this state."

C'mon. It's Obsidian. What would be truly shocking would be for them to release a polished game.

Knuckleruckamus

Neo Member
Lard said:

Buddy, maybe it's your horrific avatar but your posts have jumped out at me as someone who simply does not want to buy this game around release time. So why don't you just move on without torturing yourself and wait for greener pastures?

iammeiam

Did anybody in the eastern timezone go to a Best Buy midnight launch? Did they have a decent stock of Collector's Editions? A series of comical errors led to me inadvertently canceling my CE order at Amazon; since the only Best Buy in the state doing a midnight opening happens to be the one ten whole minutes from me, I'm going to try and pick one up tonight. Just want to know if I need to be prepared for epic disappointment.

Wallach

MrBelmontvedere said:
I view bugs as part of the game play. it's like an additional element of challenge to overcome.

Seriously, if I can pull into Redding only to discover half of my car is gone in a Shyamalan-esque twist, I can handle pretty much whatever.

DaBuddaDa

MrBelmontvedere said:
I view bugs as part of the game play. it's like an additional element of challenge to overcome.
I love the weird quirks and bugs and jank in open world RPGs, but flat-out crashes are unacceptable!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
sdornan said:
Do you work for Obsidian or something?
No. i just see a double-standard when it comes to how bugs are discussed in reviews.

Perhaps bugs weren't discussed as much in Fallout 3 reviews because they either a) weren't as frequent b) weren't as game-breaking.
Well for me personally i didnt run into any bugs but that goddamn stuttering audio bug. i havent seen mention of it in any review but i (along with many, many others) ran into it an hour into the game. i finally fixed it later but it wasnt with something Bethesda provided. Even though that was my experience people were flooding the forums about all sorts of bugs and wackiness. Most of it got documented on Youtube. So although i did not experience them i understand that some people did.

edit: and that Rivet City bug where i couldnt leave.. that was gamebreaking but i just loaded up a previous save and was fine.

With NV so far ive watch almost 40 hours of streams and i still havent seen anything game breaking. i saw one guy with his head in the ceiling, some characters/enemies that popped in (but i think thats just the limitation of the console), and a couple of Caesars Legion npcs outside that had stopped walking (there could have been a reason but i think it was a bug).

charsace

How the fuck can this game be more buggy than FO3? This is the same engine even uses some of the art assets from FO3. Come on now.

AkuMifune

Banned
My favorite bug in FO3 was the one people got when they downloaded The Pitt too early. Yellow exclamation marks everywhere, shit was weird. But yeah, this game would have to be flat out unplayable for me to avoid it. I couldn't care less.

Zeliard

aemt21.png

MrBelmontvedere said:
Even when it takes the fun away?

A little technical hiccups I can handle, but NOT frequent crashes or lock-ups forcing me to restart my console.

That's not a challenge. Going to the dentist or the DMV is more fun.

AkuMifune said:
My favorite bug in FO3 was the one people got when they downloaded The Pitt too early. Yellow exclamation marks everywhere, shit was weird. But yeah, this game would have to be flat out unplayable for me to avoid it. I couldn't care less.

Absolutely.

paparazzo

4.5/5 from GamePro
GamePro said:
PROS: The sheer amount of things to see and experience is overwhelming. It closely matches Fallout 3 in terms of depth and content; if you loved the original, you’ll probably love this one as well.
CONS: Small issues abound, and things that could have been addressed weren’t; quests aren’t as inventive or as complex as they could be; game can be a bit easy on the Casual setting.
http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/216971/fallout-new-vegas/

Oh no no noooo!!! I want to play this game ASAP, but these reviews are scaring me :(

I can't wait any more for patchs to be released, I'm planning to play the game trough all these problems because I really need a new Fallout game... I'm so bored waiting for it to be released... But the reviews are scary :_:

Gravijah

The Praiseworthy said:
Oh no no noooo!!! I want to play this game ASAP, but these reviews are scaring me :(

I can't wait any more for patchs to be released, I'm planning to play the game trough all these problems because I really need a new Fallout game... I'm so bored waiting for it to be released... But the reviews are scary :_:

reviewers are paid to make you hate games don't listen to them

Sotha Sil

Reviewers don't seem that impressed by the quests so far; to be honest, I think that's much more worrying than the technical issues... Can't wait to read more in-depth impressions (moral choices, replayability...).

stupei

(._.) said:
Reviews are confirming that it is exactly like FO3, just what I wanted. Getting it tomorrow for sure now.

See, but... so far I disagree.

So far, I think it's so much better.

I played for about five hours tonight and only encountered one "bug" so far. Explosion went off under a guy, his rag doll flew into the air, legs kicking, and then he just sort of dangled there for a few seconds before drifting back down to earth, where he resumed running and attacking.

Only bug so far.

Not to say there won't be more. I'm sure there will be, they were all over FO3 and with this many hours of game, you're going to see a lot of them. But speaking entirely anecdotally (which is all anyone has to go on with this stuff): one bug in five hours.

On 360, before anyone asks.

Top Bottom