• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Jubbly

water_wendi said:
Even if you have the PC game you cant do shit with it until it unlocks on Steam. Like 1up posted.

Depends on the publisher and how willing they are to assist coverage - the good ones hand out download codes for TestApps, unlocked preview/review versions that you can play until the official release.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Bethesda ninjas have shut down the 1080p stream of the adventures of Silky Gritz Fitzgerald III before it even started D:

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Snapshot King said:
No, I mean, that there aren't any videos that exist of any promotional anything, demos, what have you, whatsoever of the PC version. Makes me worry that they left the VATS bug in and don't want to show it.
Par for the course for multiplatform releases. Usually one platform is show.. most of the time its the 360. i have a feeling they dont show the PC versions because demoing the game running it at super high resolution, AA+AF going, and 60+ fps would raise holy hell with the console customers.

ckohler

What sucks about this streaming ban is that there's no indication when it's "okay" to do so. Basically, we now have to play a waiting game. Oh well.

stupei

One random thing I absolutely loved: near the beginning, someone mentions a town cemetery, so of course I go check it out.
There are still a few graves that look really fresh, soil still a pale soft brown. I move closer and it says "Open Grave." Morbid curiosity overwhelms, so I click. "You need a shovel to open this grave," the game tells me. That makes sense, so I move on.

First trip to the general store, right there at the top of the list of items... a shovel. Now they're just doing that on purpose, they have to be. Had a moment of actually wondering if any of the town's people would notice me looting the graves of their dearly departed or if maybe I should wait until they have cause to like me better. :lol
Nothing big, but it made me chuckle.

i-Lo

MikeE21286 said:
PS3/360 Screenshot comparison for those who are on the fence with the PS3/360 (not sure why, but some people still may be)

Ah, same old, same old. No AA on PS3 and lighting looks better on 360. As much as I love to earn trophies, this time, I'll go with 360 version. Given that 360 version suffers from framerate issues atm, the PS3 will inevitably suffer as well.

New Vegas is looking more and more like an old dog with few new (and substantial tricks).

Looks like I'm going to wait till the game is patched.

stupei said:
One random thing I absolutely loved: near the beginning, someone mentions a town cemetery, so of course I go check it out.
There are still a few graves that look really fresh, soil still a pale soft brown. I move closer and it says "Open Grave." Morbid curiosity overwhelms, so I click. "You need a shovel to open this grave," the game tells me. That makes sense, so I move on.

First trip to the general store, right there at the top of the list of items... a shovel. Now they're just doing that on purpose, they have to be. Had a moment of actually wondering if any of the town's people would notice me looting the graves of their dearly departed or if maybe I should wait until they have cause to like me better. :lol
Nothing big, but it made me chuckle.

Now I'll have to make sure to go there, then read that spoiler text. :lol

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Jubbly said:
Depends on the publisher and how willing they are to assist coverage - the good ones hand out download codes for TestApps, unlocked preview/review versions that you can play until the official release.
Likely RPS will have the PC version videos and shots. Every other site is console first though so thats not really a surprise.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sebulon3k said:
Well this is dumb, got my copy from Gamestop but can't play it cause Steam hasn't unlocked.

Fuck you Valve.

This is the way it has always been with Steamworks titles. I'm not entirely sure it's Valve's call. When the publisher wants it unlocked, that is when you can play.

bunbun777

Less than an hour--the manager from the store I'm going to (not GS) says they are playing blackjack (?!) and listening to old vinyls. I am going to play the crap out of this tonight on ps3- I'll be sure to post how many (if any) bugs/glitches I come across.

So exciting.

Zeliard

water_wendi said:
Likely RPS will have the PC version videos and shots. Every other site is console first though so thats not really a surprise.

I don't think I'll ever forgive Dan Whitehead of Eurogamer for his Risen review. :p Guy spends most of it bitching about the 360's technical issues, completely ignoring the superior PC version that shares almost none of those problems, and yet the review counts for both.

This is the sort of shit you find when you venture outside of the comforting, knowing embrace of RPS. When it comes to PC gaming, all bets are off with most other websites.

Jubbly

i-Lo said:
Ah, same old, same old. No AA on PS3 and lighting looks better on 360. As much as I love to earn trophies, this time, I'll go with 360 version. Given that 360 version suffers from framerate issues atm, the PS3 will inevitably suffer as well.

New Vegas is looking more and more like an old dog with few new (and substantial tricks).

Looks like I'm going to wait till the game is patched.

Jukebox textures are a LOT better on the PS3 it appears. But as you say, lighting is better on the 360. PC it is then! :D

Random internet guy says: "the xbox handles HDR, anisotropic filtering and depth better than the PS3, but then the PS3 handles framerate, texture and particle quality better than the xbox."

FWIW

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
TheVampire said:
Technical problems...... typical Obsidian.

They get given a game engine already made ffs and yet they still can't produce a game without heaps of bugs.

Oh my the irony...

I do wonder about the story and quest comments though. I still think Obsdiain would be better off with smaller, more focused games with a few major characters. And getting some decent programmers.

All the bug stuff sounds like shit that been in every gamebryo game ever though. And Open World RPGs tends to be bugfests no matter who makes them. I wanna see their patch support (it was pretty good for NWN2, forget about AP and KotOR II was doomed by its unfinished nature and Lucasarts sweeping it under the rug. Probably why its not on Steam)

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Zeliard said:
I don't think I'll ever forgive Dan Whitehead of Eurogamer for his Risen review. :p Guy spends most of it bitching about the 360's technical issues, completely ignoring the superior PC version that shares almost none of those problems, and yet the review counts for both.

This is the sort of shit you find when you venture outside of the comforting, knowing embrace of RPS. When it comes to PC gaming, all bets are off with most other websites.
Well the problem i have with Eurogamer is that my genre of choice is rpgs and Eurogamer completely misses the mark when it comes to rpg mechanics. Its like a requirement for every writer there to not understand that rpg gameplay is different than action games. Reminds me of this kid i knew growing up that hated Faxanadu because he couldnt treat it like Rush'n Attack.

Rainier

NEOPARADIGM said:
Random internet guy says: "the xbox handles HDR, anisotropic filtering and depth better than the PS3, but then the PS3 handles framerate, texture and particle quality better than the xbox."

FWIW
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the same random guy suggests getting the superior PC version.

dwebo

disappeared said:
:lol

The visual there is striking.
acwmys.jpg
:lol

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Started the game with the stats

Code:
Stength: 4 (-1)
Endurance: 4 (-1)
Perception: 8 (+3)
Charisma: 5
Intelligence: 7 (+2)
Agility: 6 (+1)
Luck: 6 (+1)

Also, is Intense Training as broken as it is in Fallout 3? Seems kinda sucky to allow people to pump their SPECIAL every level. I'm gonna abstain from doing it.

Game is fun so far, love the intro. Pretty much more of the same (at the gameplay level) as those who have played it said but I absolutely love how every trinket seems to have some sort of function in a recipe. Obsidian obviously took a look at the awesomness of recipes and went all out.

Wallach

BlueTsunami said:
Started the game with the stats

Code:
Stength: 4 (-1)
Endurance: 4 (-1)
Perception: 8 (+3)
Charisma: 5
Intelligence: 7 (+2)
Agility: 6 (+1)
Luck: 6 (+1)

Also, is Intense Training as broken as it is in Fallout 3? Seems kinda sucky to allow people to pump their SPECIAL every level. I'm gonna abstain from doing it.

Intense Training sucks in FO3. Either way, perks are only once per 2 levels in NV.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Wallach said:
Intense Training sucks in FO3? Either way, perks are only once per 2 levels in NV.

Just that the preliminary SPECIAL traits can be manipulated so easily. I thought they had taken Intense Training out and made it so pumping any of those Stats would be more costly and can only be done a few times. Either way, its not like I have to use it so its all good.

Also chose Four Eyes so my Perception is sitting at 9 (Perception, at the preliminary SPECIAL selection seems to state that it does effect accuracy).

Kritz

Banned
I like that FO3:NV not only costs nintey fucking american dollars in Australia, but has been delayed until Friday just to make sure nobody gives a shit about it.

:\ sigh

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Wallach said:
I didn't mean to use a question mark there. Intense Training is fucking garbage.
Ah i see what you mean. In FO3 that perk isnt so hot since your stats can be boosted pretty easily either with Bobbleheads or taking some of the later perks.

Wallach

BlueTsunami said:
Just that the preliminary SPECIAL traits can be manipulated so easily. I thought they had taken Intense Training out and made it so pumping any of those Stats would be more costly and can only be done a few times.

I can't say for sure, but with only 15 available perks per character I don't think it would be that good even if it weren't capped.

Swag

Dresden said:
UPS guy probably won't get to my house till 5PM or so... oh, the long wait.

What anime do your avatars come from? I think I saw the girl from Eva 2.0 in there but not sure.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Wallach said:
I can't say for sure, but with only 15 available perks per character I don't think it would be that good even if it weren't capped.
i was looking into making a talking based character that is kind of power gaming and came up with this.

Strength - 2
Perception - 6
Endurance - 3
Charisma - 8
Intelligence - 9
Agility - 6
Luck - 6

Possible traits would be Good Natured to get social stats up quicker.. combat im not too worried about. Also Small Frame is a maybe but would require careful play with the weaker limbs.

Perks - 2/Black Widow, 4/Educated, 6/Comprehension, 8/unknown or Intense Training, 10/Nerd Rage (i tend to explore with a sliver of life anyways.. the boost to 10 Strength when i do this is just too good to pass up), 12/Silent Running (hate moving slow when stealthing), 14/Chemist, 16/Better Criticals, 18/?, 20/Grim Reapers Spirit (when i have to use VATS i really need to use it.. GRS isnt as overpowered as in FO3 though), 22 through 30 i have no idea.

Skills i have no idea until i get the game in my hands and can fool around. Same with skills to Tag. All the non-combat skills im going to try to get to 50 but not sure how the math works out.

Bluth54

Gravijah said:
If he were a pirate, he'd actually be playing the game. :lol
With Steamworks I'm pretty sure the game's executable isn't on the disk or in the preload, you can only download it once the game unlocks, which is a good way to kill pre-release piracy for PC games.

Edit: Yep I was correct, you can read more about it here. I'm guessing Steam being able to prevent Day 0 piracy is why more and more developers are going with Steamworks as their DRM.

Dresden

Sebulon3k said:
What anime do your avatars come from? I think I saw the girl from Eva 2.0 in there but not sure.
They're all from Persona 4.

And looking at the weapons chart on the wikia, I see that chainsaws and fireaxes are in. :D Melee gogogo.

Wallach

water_wendi said:
i was looking into making a talking based character that is kind of power gaming and came up with this.

Strength - 2
Perception - 6
Endurance - 3
Charisma - 8
Intelligence - 9
Agility - 6
Luck - 6

Possible traits would be Good Natured to get social stats up quicker.. combat im not too worried about. Also Small Frame is a maybe but would require careful play with the weaker limbs.

Not going to comment on your perks (I have no idea what perks got pulled, modified, new ones etc), but with the above you have two big problems. One, you almost cannot defend yourself because you don't have the STR to use like... any form of weapon. You couldn't pick up a lead pipe with 2 STR. You'll also need a companion to carry stuff.

Besides that, be very careful about low END or you're just going to fucking die a lot. You can definitely stealth/talk your way out of a lot of things, but some situations are straight up hostile from the get go, including just the wasteland itself around if you're playing on hardcore. Definitely pump your Survival skill if you're going to risk running such a low END.

Speaking of bugs:

Just for the hell of it at the very beginning (as a baby) I decided to open a few locked doors using the unlock command in console. Ended up falling off the map, and the game quickly reloaded to the final part of the Vault section (telling me to make sure not to forget to check my desk, yet still telling me to "follow Dad"). This image is a result of letting radroaches kill me. I was still walking like I was a baby.

fallout3_glitch.png

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Wallach said:
Not going to comment on your perks (I have no idea what perks got pulled, modified, new ones etc), but with the above you have two big problems. One, you almost cannot defend yourself because you don't have the STR to use like... any form of weapon. You couldn't pick up a lead pipe with 2 STR. You'll also need a companion to carry stuff.

Besides that, be very careful about low END or you're just going to fucking die a lot. You can definitely stealth/talk your way out of a lot of things, but some situations are straight up hostile from the get go, including just the wasteland itself around if you're playing on hardcore. Definitely pump your Survival skill if you're going to risk running such a low END.
Yea. The weapon ST requirement i still need to look into. i figure my weapon skill is going to be Energy since im shooting for a med-high Science. Right now i just dont have the data regarding skills to figure out an optimum build for my playstyle.

i have taken into consideration that i may have to drop Better Criticals and drop a point from PE and LK and put those 2 extra into ST.

Carrying capacity im not too worried about. For the first few levels i establish a home base and venture out repeatedly amassing items and wealth :lol

Top Bottom