• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

iammeiam

Just got back from Best Buy; they had a grand total of two non-preordered Collector's Editions, so I didn't get one. Regular 360 version installing now. They also had a raffle for some stuff; my brother managed to win this (broken) neon sign.

So not bad. Surprised by the number of people there picking up the standard PC version.

valeo

Apparently it's exactly the same as Fallout 3 but in a different setting. So if you liked Fallout 3, you'll like NV...

Zinga

Banned
Gotta love the publishers treatment of Australia and other countries outside of the USA, US$90 for a digital copy of the game and it's 3 days late too!

Would any American pay $90 for a digital version of the game? luckily you can get it from AUD$40 from Ozgameshop

Zeliard

valeo said:
Apparently it's exactly the same as Fallout 3 but in a different setting. So if you liked Fallout 3, you'll like NV...

How would it be exactly the same with a completely different, and superior, team of writers?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I got this on Steam, and just played the first 30 minutes. I really like the intro and the setting so far. I think I will enjoy this more than Fallout 3. It's nice to have the game set farther in the west of the US again.

I just got home with the PC CE

I'm really impressed with what come with the Collectors Edition.

The poker chips really feel like some nice quality stuff! the House chip is actually made of solid metal which I think is really cool

2pyonzb.jpg

There was a lot of people in line for the game. Nearly 3 times as many people for Final Fantasy 13 and at least 5 times more than the midnight release of Mass Effect 2.

Fallout is the new King of RPGs. I wonder if any old PC gamers would have ever thought Fallout would be the leading Mainstream RPG. Pretty weird.

Zzoram

So it's Fallout 3.5, which is what it's always seemed to be, and is fine. People who liked Fallout 3 will like this, and it's been long enough for them to want this.

Darklord

Banned
The game--a retail disc running on a new-model Xbox 360--crashed on me about a dozen times over the 33 hours I spent playing, often taking a significant amount of progress with it. The load times and frame rate seemed to get randomly worse as I continued to play the game, with some simple scene transitions taking 20 seconds or more. The technical hurdles you'll have to make to stay interested in New Vegas are meaner and more frustrating than any Deathclaw or Nightkin you'll face in the game. If you're the type of person who likes to watch for a patch or two before settling into a game, know this now: you probably don't want to play Fallout: New Vegas right away.

God, can't Obsidian just do a LITTLE polish for once? Won't bother picking this up now until later on when it's fully patched and cheaper.

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
So it's Fallout 3.5, which is what it's always seemed to be, and is fine. People who liked Fallout 3 will like this, and it's been long enough for them to want this.

These comments are a bit puzzling. What did people want when the engine is identical as well as the core gameplay? I'm going into this expecting much better writing and characterization, since Obsidian's writers are far more talented than Bethesda's, but I'm not expecting some completely different game (outside of stuff like Hardcore mode).

And Eurogamer just gave it a 9/10. Dan Whitehead, too, no less.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Zeliard said:
These comments are a bit puzzling. What did people want when the engine is identical as well as the core gameplay? I'm going into this expecting much better writing and characterization, since Obsidian's writers are far more talented than Bethesda's, but I'm not expecting some completely different game (outside of stuff like Hardcore mode).

And Eurogamer just gave it a 9/10. Dan Whitehead, too, no less.

Are any of the reviews even talking about Hardcore mode?

Zeliard

Papercuts said:
Are any of the reviews even talking about Hardcore mode?

Eurogamer does on the third page.

I liked this bit from the Eurogamer review:

Dan Whitehead said:
And you can put aside any concerns regarding the decision to hand over to Obsidian for development duties on this spin-off; while the studio stumbled with its fun-but-flawed espionage RPG, Alpha Protocol, there are enough former Black Isle people still roaming its halls to make New Vegas feel authentic, right down to the last detail. In fact, those who felt Fallout 3 deviated too far from the series' role-playing roots may even find they nod appreciatively at some of the deeper elements New Vegas reintroduces.

bunbun777

Just got this on ps3- extremely early impressions: looks good. Definite improvement graphically (only in the starting room. The chemistry tubes look great.) Music sounds wonderful. Time to go figure out my special.

I'm grabbing everything that isn't considered stealing, caps, ammo, and there's a shiton of pre war books- have no idea if they are as valuable-- didn't get nuked i know-- but lord help me i can't help but pick them up lol

Ferrio

Banned
Played past the tutorial now I'm thinking of redoing my character. Not sure... hrmmm. Last time I did a melee character, was doing unarmed this time... not sure if I really wanna do that again... kinda boring. Maybe a high intel char? hrmm

Salsa

Ferrio said:
Played past the tutorial now I'm thinking of redoing my character. Not sure... hrmmm. Last time I did a melee character, was doing unarmed this time... not sure if I really wanna do that again... kinda boring. Maybe a high intel char? hrmm

The Gentleman/Gunslinger is a must.

edit: awwhhh your talking SPECIAL :lol

since we are in the subject, are there any new additions on the gene projector ?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
nismogrendel said:
How good is your pc and how well did it run FO3 (if you played it)?

Computer is more than up to the task. GTX 480 OC'ed heavily, AMD 1090T hexcore at 4 ghz and 8 gigs of RAM. One of the settings is messing up the performance, and I'm going to find out which :mad:

Ferrio said:

I'm still in the tutorial and I want to re-roll already :lol

Sotha Sil

Ferrio said:

Playing an average-intel char, keeping the more complex dialogue choices for the second playthrough would be a good choice, but I know I won't be able to refrain for experiencing the good stuff right ahead :)

When I can replace my 360, that is... Gaaah. Have I mentioned I hate you all?

Smokey

Haven't been following this game much...but guess I'll get it from Best Buy later today. Fallout 3 was good fun. Never beat the game, but it was fun while it lasted.

Darklord said:
God, can't Obsidian just do a LITTLE polish for once? Won't bother picking this up now until later on when it's fully patched and cheaper.

Wow, that sounds really bad, shoutouts to 1st party certification and release date pressure!
The PS3 version of F3 only gave me real problems in the final section of the game (those were severe though).

Going to pick this up nonetheless, F3 is maybe my favourite game of this gen. Going with 360 this time.

PS1-era animations are also back I assume?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Zeliard said:
Based on the reviews this doesn't seem to be the case.:/ however the role-playing aspects sound improved over FO3.

Dennis

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
Runs much worse than I expected. I've got it maxed out at 1920x1200 and it hardly stays at 30fps =/
Does it seem justified? Have the graphics been improved over Fallout 3?

Do you have any AA on?

Zeliard

Lafiel said:
Based on the reviews this doesn't seem to be the case.:/ however the role-playing aspects sound improved over FO3.

Which ones? Haven't read any but Eurogamer and Giant Bomb's reviews. Gerstmann in the latter expressly stated that the writing is what kept him playing.

Either way, game's already on its way. :D I'll find out tomorrow what the Obsidian guys have cooked up.

_tetsuo_ said:
Computer is more than up to the task. GTX 480 OC'ed heavily, AMD 1090T hexcore at 4 ghz and 8 gigs of RAM. One of the settings is messing up the performance, and I'm going to find out which :mad:

Not looking good for me then, I have 8800gtx, 2g ram, e6600 cpu :(

I'm playing on the PC.

Totally unstable. Game already locked after i loaded from a save. BGM skips and stutters. framerate drops to below 10 constantly.

i'm not going to blame obsidian for the gamebryo though. Besthesda needs to retire that piece of crap. AND THEY NEED TO RETIRE IT NOW!!

I have a 2.2 quadcore, 6 gigs of ram and OC 460gtx.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Zombie, did any of 3's mods help improve companion AI or is Gamebryo just too decrepit?

Also the card performance problem definitely sounds like something Obsidian needs to patch asap.

Gravijah

HK-47 said:
Zombie, did any of 3's mods help improve companion AI?

Also the card performance problem definitely sounds like something Obsidian needs to patch asap.

Jesus Christ I thought you were Drkirby.

HK-47 said:
Zombie, did any of 3's mods help improve companion AI or is Gamebryo just to decrepit?

eh to my knowledge not really, marts mutant mod might have improved npc ai a bit?

and ugh at performance

ive got a e6850 3ghz, 4 gigs ram, and 280gtx

im fucked lol :lol

i run fallout 3 at 1920x1080 with maxed (no aa though) and a high res texture replacement package all over 30 fps... i dont get it...

Zeliard

gundamzeta209 said:
i'm not going to blame obsidian for the gamebryo though. Besthesda needs to retire that piece of crap. AND THEY NEED TO RETIRE IT NOW!!

Watch them bust that shit out for Elder Scrolls V. "Surprise, bitches!"

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ZombieSupaStar said:
eh to my knowledge not really, marts mutant mod might have improved npc ai a bit?

and ugh at performance

ive got a e6850 3ghz, 4 gigs ram, and 280gtx

im fucked lol :lol

i run fallout 3 at 1920x1080 with maxed (no aa though) and a high res texture replacement package all over 30 fps... i dont get it...

Has anyone tried to fix it? Maybe with the command wheel, people will be more likely to focus on it.

Old engine plus open world? TBH, I think they should have just foregone companions in both 3 and NV.

Zeliard

HK-47 said:
Has anyone tried to fix it? Maybe with the command wheel, people will be more likely to focus on it.

Old engine plus open world? TBH, I think they should have just foregone companions in both 3 and NV.

I dunno, I picked up Jericho early on in Fallout 3 and had him alongside me for pretty much the entire game, and he never died. If nothing else they're wonderful as human mules. :>

Their A.I. definitely needed a lot of work though and it doesn't look like they got much of it in NV, outside of possibly the command wheel.

ZombieSupaStar said:

I like to hope. :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Zinga said:
Gotta love the publishers treatment of Australia and other countries outside of the USA, US$90 for a digital copy of the game and it's 3 days late too!

Would any American pay $90 for a digital version of the game? luckily you can get it from AUD$40 from Ozgameshop

There's a USD$40 Aussie Tax on the game; the US price is USD$50. Fucking ridiculous. :lol Valve and those who self-publish on Steam are about the only ones who don't practice this bullshit.

Erudite

WEGGLES said:
Anyone on PC not having issues? :{

I'm hoping it's a vocal minority thing :{
Played it for the last hour and a half or so. Really the only problem I ran into was minor performance issues, bit of stuttering and framerate noticeably dipping when I looked out into distances. Granted my video card is getting a little old now, but with the same settings I ran FO3 fine. Indoors stayed fairly consistent.

Everything on Ultra, no AA, 4xAF, 8800GT, Phenom 9650 Quad-Core @ 2.3GHZ, 8GB Ram

Jubbly

Zeliard said:
Watch them bust that shit out for Elder Scrolls V. "Surprise, bitches!"

Do you remember the original engine they used for Oblivion? That had awesome lighting and far superior textures, but the consoles couldn't cope so they switched to the current POS :( Maybe when the next-gen occurs we can finally dump that crappy engine and get back to pushing the boundaries of technology.

Jubbly said:
Do you remember the original engine they used for Oblivion? That had awesome lighting and far superior textures, but the consoles couldn't cope so they switched to the current POS :( Maybe when the next-gen occurs we can finally dump that crappy engine and get back to pushing the boundaries of technology.

im still waiting on the radiant A.I. they had in the e3 demo

Right now they walk around, Eat, Sleep, and squawk about mudcrabs.

Jubbly

JaseC said:
There's a USD$40 Aussie Tax on the game; the US price is USD$50. Fucking ridiculous. :lol Valve and those who self-publish on Steam are about the only ones who don't practice this bullshit.

Valve didn't use to practice the 1 USD: 1 EUR BS either, but they changed their tune for the release of L4D2 - will only be a matter of time before they exploit you too.

Top Bottom