• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
DennisK4 said:
Does it seem justified? Have the graphics been improved over Fallout 3?

Do you have any AA on?

If there are graphical updates, I can't detect them. I haven't played Fallout 3 since early 2009 though. I had AA + SSAA on at first, and it was running in the high 20's. I turned all AA off and its getting in the 40's now but my computer should be eating this game alive.

A quick look at my gpu vitals tells me that this game nevers uses over 50% of my gpu. Hmmm.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Maybe the people with PC performance issues could you know, play with your settings a bit. Just jacking everything up to ultra and saying you are getting poor performance isn't a real good indicator of anything.=P

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Jubbly said:
Valve didn't use to practice the 1 USD: 1 EUR BS either, but they changed their tune for the release of L4D2 - will only be a matter of time before they exploit you too.

That's possible, sure, but I'm not expecting it to happen. Maybe they'll start with Episode Three? :lol

Zeliard

Jubbly said:
Do you remember the original engine they used for Oblivion? That had awesome lighting and far superior textures, but the consoles couldn't cope so they switched to the current POS :( Maybe when the next-gen occurs we can finally dump that crappy engine and get back to pushing the boundaries of technology.

One of the downsides of Move/Kinect is that they guarantee that this console generation will go on for a few more years, and that means more of developers having to make their games work and fit on hardware that is, at this point, ancient as fuck.

_tetsuo_ said:
If there are graphical updates, I can't detect them. I haven't played Fallout 3 since early 2009 though. I had AA + SSAA on at first, and it was running in the high 20's. I turned all AA off and its getting in the 40's now but my computer should be eating this game alive.

A quick look at my gpu vitals tells me that this game nevers uses over 50% of my gpu. Hmmm.

Yeah, there must be something strange up if Traced-Velocity can run it better than you maxed out with a far less powerful rig.

Ferrio

Banned
Game was runing fine for me 30-60 with everything maxxed high as it could go... until I got into a fire fight.. 9fps. Okay anti aliasing you're the first to go... let's see if that fixes it.

WEGGLES

Revolutionary said:
I haven't had any problems whatsoever. Ultra Settings @ 1680x1050 w/ 4xAA and Vsync and it's a steady 60 so far.
What kind of card?

I've noticed the complaints come from people with Nvidia cards.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Shinjitsu said:
Maybe the people with PC performance issues could you know, play with your settings a bit. Just jacking everything up to ultra and saying you are getting poor performance isn't a real good indicator of anything.=P

I was messing with them but now I can't stop playing D:

10 seconds out ofthe tutorial basically and I'm already choosing sides :lol

Shinjitsu

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
I was messing with them but now I can't stop playing D:

10 seconds out ofthe tutorial basically and I'm already choosing sides :lol

Hehe.

Reading your posts though, it sounds like something isn't playing right with the game on your system. You are right, you should be chewing it up performance wise.

Shinjitsu

Banned
subversus said:
it seems that my decision to go with PC GOTY version is extremely wise.

Why because a couple people are having performance issues in the thread when theres others running it rock solid at 60FPS?

Who are you trying to convince, us or yourself?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Iron sight aiming has a good feel to it. I am pleased. Another strange thing with framerate: it derops into the teens whenever I go to "conversation cam". Just flat out strange.

Zeliard said:
Do Super Mutants have their own faction?

Because, if so, easy choice.

Nah, but one of them is a bunch of convicts :lol

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
WEGGLES said:
Anyone on PC not having issues? :{

I'm hoping it's a vocal minority thing :{

Put in an hour and change, running 1920x1200, 4x AA, 16x AF, Ultra Quality and I had no issues at all.

I dropped down to medium settings No A-filtering, no AA, 1280 resolution.

Fraps gives me an average of 20FPS. I don't have a badass rig. but...

with 2.2 Ghz, 6 gigs of ram and an overclocked 460gtx, I dont understand why i'm having all these problems even at medium settings.

I'm just going to put it away for now and buy the 360 version tomorrow. I'll turn on the PC version again when the Mods and community knowledge has grown.

I'm pretty disapointed with the iron sight animation though. The Fallout 3 Iron sight mod was very smooth and natural looking. the Aiming animation in FNV looks very weird and robotic. There's no exuse for this. They could have just copypasta'd the FO3 mod script. Jesus wtf?

PC gamers are getting freaking shafted dude.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
gundamzeta209 said:
I dropped down to medium settings No A-filtering, no AA, 1280 resolution.

Fraps gives me an average of 20FPS. I don't have a badass rig. but...

with 2.2 Ghz, 6 gigs of ram and an overclocked 460gtx, I dont understand why i'm having all these problems even at medium settings.

I'm just going to put it away for now and buy the 360 version tomorrow. I'll turn on the PC version again when the Mods and community knowledge has grown.

I'm pretty disapointed with the iron sight animation though. The Fallout 3 Iron sight mod was very smooth and natural looking. the Aiming animation in FNV looks very weird and robotic. There's no exuse for this. They could have just copypasta'd the FO3 mod script. Jesus wtf?

PC gamers are getting freaking shafted dude.

Disappointing. Hopefully that mod will work in NV.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
so, we lived to this day - NVIDIA drivers SUCK!! :lol

Darklord said:
Yeah we have. The PC version looked that good at release. Mods make it look considerably better too.

No, dynamic soft shadows in PC version

subversus

Shinjitsu said:
Why because a couple people are having performance issues in the thread when theres others running it rock solid at 60FPS?

Who are you trying to convince, us or yourself?

I'm just stating the fact that decision was wise. Bugs will be patched, additional content will be added. I'll start my first Planescape Torment walkthrough instead of playing this.

Zeliard

subversus said:
I'm just stating the fact that decision was wise. Bugs will be patched, additional content will be added. I'll start my first Planescape Torment walkthrough instead of playing this.

An acceptable alternative.

Yoshi256

Banned
Zeliard said:
And Eurogamer just gave it a 9/10. Dan Whitehead, too, no less.

Indeed, Fallout remains a procrastinator's dream. My idealistic intention was to plough through the main quests and then explore the margins until my deadline loomed. 50 game-clock hours and 38 quests later, I'd barely scratched the surface of the story, having spent my time being wonderfully distracted by interesting structures and enjoyable side-quests and ooh, what's that over there, let's go and see. I'd visited just under half the locations on the map, was two-thirds of my way towards the Level 30 cap and, according to the Achievements list, there were still at least 16 major quests to be completed. So, yeah: big.

You'll be meeting lots of different factions as you traverse this world and the game's new focus on reputation makes them more than a pointless palette-swap. You'll be doing missions for most of these groups at some point, often bringing you into conflict with others, and juggling your allegiance is trickier than it seems, especially where the main quest line is concerned. There are multiple forces vying for control of New Vegas and sooner or later you need to pin your flag to somebody

Sounds good. :)

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Wow for the first time in a long while Ive heard of a game having video card issues and its with Nvidia and not ATI. Im guessing my 4890 will be up to the task to still run everything max.

Zeliard

Yoshi256 said:
Sounds good. :)

All of the Hardcore mode stuff sounds excellent as well. It's clearly necessary to play it that way.

Dan Whitehead said:
The Bear Grylls approach proves essential in Hardcore Mode, perhaps the most striking and beneficial addition to the game. Activated at the start, it plays up the survival aspect by introducing numerous realistic variables to your game. You need to eat, drink and sleep: hunger, thirst and sleep deprivation will hinder, disorient and eventually kill you if you don't keep on top of them. Ammo has weight in Hardcore Mode, so you can't merrily stuff your pockets with every shell and bullet you find. Efficient inventory planning soon becomes a pressing requirement.

Most importantly, healing items no longer instantly top up your health, but fix you over time, forcing you to be much more tactical in your confrontations. Crippled limbs must be fixed using the rare Doctor's Bag item or patched up by an actual doctor. You can't simply dash in and spam the hotkey for stimpacks during a fight, but have to really think about how you can take down, say, a cellar full of hulking Nightkin without being squished into a fine paste.

It's a brilliant decision, and one that fits perfectly with the aesthetic of the game, forcing you to fully engage with its radiation-scorched landscape. Before, food and water were simply optional health pick-me-ups. Now they form a balancing act, as you weigh up the benefits of curing dehydration sickness with the radiation poisoning you'll get from slurping out of a manky old sink. It's also great to see an extra layer of difficulty that doesn't rely on simply making your enemies bulletproof (yes, Mass Effect, that means you) but instead forces you to play smarter, rather than harder.

So good, particularly since I've always bitched about higher difficulties in games essentially being less health and/or firepower for you and more health and/or firepower for your enemies. This is how you ideally add difficulty (along with what games like Ninja Gaiden Black do).

_tetsuo_ said:
Fucking 480 nuking this room and can't run a 4 year old engine at more than 30fps. NVIDIAAAA!!!!!~~~

i'm getting 7-13 fps. with AA and A-filtering turned on and 1600 resolution.

i'm not a happy camper right now. my fps dropped from 7 when I did the bottle shooting tutorial. I think it's because behind the house where my gun was pointed, the game was drawing mountains far into the distance.

subversus

Dan Whitehead said:
It's also great to see an extra layer of difficulty that doesn't rely on simply making your enemies bulletproof (yes, Mass Effect, that means you) but instead forces you to play smarter, rather than harder.

That's why I don't take reviews seriously.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
subversus said:
That's why I don't take reviews seriously.

Huh? That's basically all increasing the difficulty in Mass Effect does, across both games. I'm a huge fan of the franchise and even I know there's hardly any balance behind the higher difficulties.

His point seems to be that Hardcore doesn't just crank up damage variables and resistences, but instead offers a more complex style of play.

subversus

EatChildren said:
Huh? That's basically all increasing the difficulty in Mass Effect does, across both games. I'm a huge fan of the franchise and even I know there's hardly any balance behind the higher difficulties.

His point seems to be that Hardcore doesn't just crank up damage variables and resistences, but instead offers a more complex style of play.

AI behaviour changes significantly in ME2 on higher difficulties. They use powers and outflank you aggressively.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
subversus said:
AI behaviour changes significantly in ME2 on higher difficulties. They use powers and outflank you aggressively.

Yes, but the higher difficulties also expose the imbalance in classes, powers, and weapons. Insanity is the biggest culprit. Depending on where you are in the game and your load-out, it can either be somewhat of a cake walk or nigh impossible. The enemy level and resistance scaling doesn't help matters.

His point is valid, especially relative to what Hardcore is supposedly offering.

Wallach

Played about two and a half hours, re-rolling already. I fucking hate small guns, can't do it. Sorry Bozar, I STILL LOVE YOU OMFG I CAN'T PLAY WITH SHITTY PISTOLS FOR YOU THOUGH. :lol

Going to re-roll to go energy weapons instead. This way I'll get to use a flamer at some point and whatever giant energy weaponry they've tossed in.

Game is amazing, graphics are a little weird somehow (maybe lacks as much shadowing or something, can't tell) but the textures own Fallout 3 hard right from the start. The fucking music is awesome thank god. Thank you for that. Game is running quite smooth on max settings with 4xMSAA, haven't seen much in the way of any frame drops except when I walk through a dust storm (still has shitty transparency AA).

No bugs so far except a HILARIOUS graphic bug with a dog running around with his eyes turned sideways and hanging far away from his fucking skull, it was mega creepy.

Playing Wild Wasteland trait w/ hardcore, very pleased with the H20/food/sleep system. Ran across like 3 random (mega random) things in the first hour of wandering. Warms my fucking heart, it really feels much more like Fallout 2 right out of the gate. I couldn't be happier right now (except for the re-rolling because I hate small guns thing).

EDIT - I SWEAR IF I FIND YOU BOZAR I WILL STILL USE YOU, I PROMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISE

Pooya

Reading comments about performance is really disappointing, I can run FO3 on my average laptop just fine at ultra setting, hope they support this game with some patches.

Jubbly

miladesn said:
Reading comments about performance is really disappointing, I can run FO3 on my average laptop just fine at ultra setting o, hope they support this game with some patches.

The only upside is that Vegas is free from GFWL and the super slow certification process, so fixes can be implemented very quickly indeed.

Swag

PC Impressions Inc

No WW / Hardcore

Rig

i5-750 @ 3.0ghz
Radeon 4890
8GB Ram

Playing on ultra high with everything at max, 8x AA 15x Sampling ( No 16 Anisotropic wtf )

Anyway I can understand what everyone else has been saying about the frame stuttering, not that big of a problem, but occasionally when the game has to render the things in the distance I'll have a minor stutter, but for the most part game runs between 40-60 FPS. Thinking of lowering some settings just a bit to get a locked FPS if possible. VATs take a second to load sometimes, but this just may be again because of the settings, it seems to be related to calculating % hit chance though.

Haven't experienced any bugs yet ( THANK GOD )

As for gameplay so far, spoilered for those wanting to be kept in the dark.

Goodsprings

Decided to help that Ringo Caravan dude out, was a cool fight when the entire town got involved, couldn't get Easy Peet to hand over his explosives and Chet didn't wanna help out either. Not enough Barter / Explosions, was thinking of killing them but didn't want negative Karma. They weren't even necessary wiped the floor with that gang, dudes trying to throw dynamite and Shit :lol

NCR
Prison

Was high on my previous success in Goodsprings, figured I'd try to clean this place up and get weapons / whatever other cool shit was around. Ended up getting WRECKED with quickness, dynamite being thrown left and right, I swear some dudes were Rifling me from the towers. Shit got hectic :lol, will return at a later point.

Random Stuff Around Goodsprings

Found a tower with a cross and got a new radio station added, can't tune into it just yet, guessing it'll unlock when I either get in range or some story element happens

Overall pretty good, finding random things around the wasteland, some of the people you run into are funny. Voice Acting is good, and Mr New Vegas is entertaining to listen to. Liking the radio music as well, kind of has a cowboy oldies feel to it, as far as New Vegas station is concerned.

Thinking of re rolling with WW on now that I've experienced some of the wackiness that's in the wasteland
My Wife is being attacked by Gekko's dude for example

Will pick up again tomorrow, have a test to take in an hour on no sleep :lol

Varth

Zeliard said:
All of the Hardcore mode stuff sounds excellent as well. It's clearly necessary to play it that way.

So good, particularly since I've always bitched about higher difficulties in games essentially being less health and/or firepower for you and more health and/or firepower for your enemies. This is how you ideally add difficulty (along with what games like Ninja Gaiden Black do).

Don't know, really. I'm playing it HC right now, and while it makes the experience certainly different, I don't know if I would go as far as calling it "better". Main gripe I have is that it almost cut out of the game everything that's not raw survival. No playing around with combining items, no "ohhh, me wants new shiny rifle". I guess when you get a house this gets easier to some point, but the first hours are pretty harsh.

Truant

Any way to force shadows in this game?

Like actual shadows cast from the environment and buildings? F3 looks so shallow without them.

Top Bottom