• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Wallach

I'm probably going to stop for tonight. Really fucking annoyed with the big guns removal right now, I seriously cannot decide how to build my character at the moment. My only complaint so far, everything else has been awesome.

I definitely don't think the HC modifications are overbearing at all. The rate at which your overall well-being degrades seems really on point to me.

SmokyDave

subversus said:
I don't get this bit...

I played Fallout 3 on my console toy so I’m not sure how bad Fallout 3′s controls were on PC, but I can tell you that New Vegas definitely does have the controls of a lazy port. It’s impossible to assign hotkeys for anything in the Pip Boy menu, so if you want to check your map, quests, inventory or even turn off the radio, you bring up the Pip Boy with tab and navigate to that specific submenu with a series of clicks. Clicking your way through multiple choice conversations is almost as bad- it’s just that so few buttons do what you’d expect them to, and masses of obvious shortcuts are ignored. Oh, and there’s no button to put your weapon away. If you want to be anything more than an accidental left click away from shooting someone, you need to go into the menu and unequip it.
Did he play on console or PC?

Zeliard

SmokyDave said:
I don't get this bit...

He played Fallout 3 on console and New Vegas on PC.

Those issues were also remedied relatively quickly with a user interface mod in F3.

Dresden

SmokyDave said:
I don't get this bit...

Pretty sure he means that he played F3 on the console, and New Vegas on the PC. He can't tell if the controls got worse because of that.

SmokyDave

Zeliard said:

Those issues were also remedied relatively quickly with a user interface mod in F3.
Total reading comprehension fail on my part.

I'm a little embarrassed now.

Dresden said:
Pretty sure he means that he played F3 on the console, and New Vegas on the PC. He can't tell if the controls got worse because of that.
Yeah, you'll have to speak slowly and wave your arms around, I'm a little bit dim :(

Wallach

Zeliard said:

He's also wrong anyway, even in the un-modded game you hold R with the default controls (which is reload) to put away your weapon.

zlatko

Banned
zlatko said:
Question about the PC version for you all. I tried to google this up and I'm a bit confused.

Fallout 3 had PC achievements you could link to your 360 gamertag. Does New Vegas support this as well? The only reason I ask is because I plan to beat the game on the hardest difficulty and wanted to proudly display that achievement. :D I don't really trophy/achievement hunt UNLESS it's something that took skill on the players part.

Just wanted to bump my question as it might effect my purchase. ^^

avcables

Banned
FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2008-31-25-67.jpg

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2008-31-59-25.jpg

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2008-32-11-55.jpg

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2008-34-51-10.jpg

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2008-36-25-86.jpg

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2008-38-20-16.jpg

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2008-38-28-14.jpg

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2008-40-02-60.jpg

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2008-42-39-20.jpg

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2008-44-00-51.jpg

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2008-44-25-67.jpg

Regardless if you plan to go out on Hardcore mode or not, don't forget to raid the shit out of the Doc's house. You'll find a weapon/multiple ammo, items invaluable for the wasteland, and some petty items to bolster your cap count. Don't forget to take the Pre-War Books, either. Those could come in handy.

valeo

It' s too bad they didn't bother to upgrade the engine for this - could've been great instead of just another buggy mess that's pretty fun but ultimately soulless because it's been hamstrung by crap tech.

Ricker

Zeliard said:
I have a feeling my hoarding tendencies in RPGs won't jibe too well with Hardcore mode. :p

Same here,I`m tempted to try Hardcore but if I see something in the distance,I`ll go to it,even if it probably turns out to be nothing of interest and I get attacked or sniped to death heading there,far off my original targeted quest/sidequest hehe...

Ricker said:
Same here,I`m tempted to try Hardcore but if I see something in the distance,I`ll go to it,even if it probably turns out to be nothing of interest and I get attacked or sniped to death heading there,far off my original targeted quest/sidequest hehe...

Well, half the fun of this game is getting side tracked.

Jex

valeo said:
It' s too bad they didn't bother to upgrade the engine for this - could've been great instead of just another buggy mess that's pretty fun but ultimately soulless because it's been hamstrung by crap tech.
Yeah because recent Obsidian games have all been bug free.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just to confirm, the PC version DOES support the 360 pad like the previous game, correct? I can't imagine them removing 360 pad support, but you never know.

Marvie_3

Banned
Picking up the game in about 3 hours. :D

This thread is making the wait much more difficult but I can't stop browsing it. Please remember to use spoiler tags if you're posting plot details, etc. :D

Zeliard

Ricker said:

Same. I'm definitely playing on Hardcore, that's for certain. And hey, it isn't quite Las Vegas if someone isn't dying in the desert.

Marvie_3 said:
Picking up the game in about 3 hours. :D

This thread is making the wait much more difficult but I can't stop browsing it. Please remember to use spoiler tags if you're posting plot details, etc. :D

I'll be browsing all day while I wait to get home and play my copy.

This is the type of game you can play for a year.

Dyno

valeo said:

Who else does truly open world in HD on console these days?

kai3345

Banned
avcables said:

Regardless if you plan to go out on Hardcore mode or not, don't forget to raid the shit out of the Doc's house. You'll find a weapon/multiple ammo, items invaluable for the wasteland, and some petty items to bolster your cap count. Don't forget to take the Pre-War Books, either. Those could come in handy.
fuuuuuuccckkk only 8 more hours

avcables

Banned
FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2008-59-00-74.jpg

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2009-00-19-94.jpg

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2009-03-04-44.jpg

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2009-04-24-87.jpg

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2009-09-05-59.jpg

And my personal favorite, 34 minutes into the game:

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2009-13-17-07.jpg

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2009-13-22-51.jpg

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2009-13-45-68.jpg

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2009-13-59-52.jpg

Yes, those are eyeballs. Detached and hanging sideways on the side of the head.

Marvie_3

Banned
DoctorWho said:
I'll be browsing all day while I wait to get home and play my copy.

This is the type of game you can play for a year.
You should hop on and play some more NHL 11 with us if you ever put down Fallout in the next year. ;)

Ledsen

dark10x said:
Just to confirm, the PC version DOES support the 360 pad like the previous game, correct? I can't imagine them removing 360 pad support, but you never know.

Someone said yes earlier in the thread.

avcables

Banned
kai3345 said:
are those its eyes?

Yes.

Also, I found something I believe to be my first identified reference to culture elsewhere:

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2009-24-28-60.jpg

At least they agree that Indiana Jones would've never made it.

Some additional screenshots:

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2009-23-38-61.jpg

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2009-23-40-26.jpg

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2009-23-41-92.jpg

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2009-21-34-38.jpg

avcables

Banned
Wiggum2007 said:
How's the ambient area music? FO3 was such a downgrade from 2 in that regard.

So far, it's been excellent. I'll record a quick clip when I can.

neoism said:
please tell me if it supports 360 pad..

Yes, it does. You can enabled/disable it in the options. It's enabled by default if the controller is plugged in.

Dyno

valeo said:
Whats that got to do with anything? And why would you play a PC game on console? (yes, i'm delusional.) :)

What I'm saying is that this generation we were promised many things and for some their expectations are still inflated with the hype. Reality has set in years ago however and this gen (on consoles at least) games like Fable II, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect 2 are the norm: node worlds and very simplistic NPC interactions. Even former open world masters like Square had to turn FFXIII into a tunnel in order to give us those graphics.

Bethesda (and now Obsidian) games using the Gamebryo engine are at least truly open world, huge, and full of variety and options. They are not the norm but an exception, the best we can expect thus far. The drawback is that they're buggy as hell.

stupei

Really confused by the RPS comment about playing 48 hours in game and need for H20 only going up 50. Maybe a bug somehow exclusive to PC or ... something? I check it every few in game hours and that's usually enough to put it up to close to 200 out of 1000. I went for something like 15 or so hours without drinking because I was occupied with a quest that involved a lot of travel (lost track of time) and the game warned me I was getting dehydrated and it started to impact my stats.

Again, 360 here, but my experience with hardcore mode so far is nothing like what I keep reading at other places. I mean, it's still a scale and it's still maybe not as hardcore as people were expecting, but it's also done in just about the only way that can keep you from probably going nuts considering how scarce water can be at some points early game. They don't want to make the game impossible in the early going for people who aren't going all brute strength and will have to earn their caps smartly.

avcables

Banned
Lakitu said:
:lol Brilliant.

I assume you're playing with Wild Wasteland?

Absolutely! Who could resist that option?

Although something like this makes me wonder if it would've been there regardless.

Amory

God getting through this workday is going to be impossible knowing I'll have the CE sitting on my doorstep when I get home.

Think I'm going to play an evil bastard on my first playthrough. I always play the good guy even though the asshole responses are often tempting.

Top Bottom