• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Dyno

I almost regret bringing it up but I still would appreciate console comparisons or at least people telling me what they're playing it on and how it feels.

In Fallout 3 the 360 version was apparently better out the gate. Part of me assumes that since it's the same engine and as buggy as last time the same thing applies, thought the other part of me thinks the game might have been optimized better this time.

Thanks for any response.

Eric WK

avcables said:
Absolutely! Who could resist that option?

Although something like this makes me wonder if it would've been there regardless.

No, that's only with WW. There's an audio cue and a Pip-Boy display in the upper left hand corner when you come to something that's in the game due to WW, by the way.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Dyno said:
In Fallout 3 the 360 version was apparently better out the gate. Part of me assumes that since it's the same engine and as buggy as last time the same thing applies, thought the other part of me thinks the game might have been optimized better this time.

Thanks for any response.

How could I hope to evaluate the worth of Fallout: New Vegas, a full-price game that's practically identical, both graphically and mechanically, to another game that was released two years ago? How could I tell you whether or not it's an insult that you're being asked to pay $60 for a game that's so technically deficient that it scarcely feels past the beta stage?

so probably the same

Dyno said:
I almost regret bringing it up but I still would appreciate console comparisons or at least people telling me what they're playing it on and how it feels.

Thanks for any response.

I posted a link last night...lemme see...

here

avcables

Banned
Spookie said:
Walked past that before it's just clicked. Indy 4 reference?

Presumably. Also, should I spoiler links to images instead of putting them up directly? I don't want to ruin surprises for anyone...

Eric WK said:
No, that's only with WW. There's an audio cue and a Pip-Boy display in the upper left hand corner when you come to something that's in the game due to WW, by the way.

Ah. Didn't pop up for me. Maybe I didn't get close enough.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
avcables said:
Yes.

Also, I found something I believe to be my first identified reference to culture elsewhere:

FalloutNV%202010-10-19%2009-24-28-60.jpg

At least they agree that Indiana Jones would've never made it.

so good

Wallach

The dog eyes thing is totally 100% repro, it will happen every time you are along the tutorial quest. :lol

Anyhow, I'm done for the night (for real this time). Didn't wind up restarting, just going to play it with Guns and hope for the best.

Only run into one other bug besides the dog thing, which was a weird quest bug that I managed to find a workaround for.

avcables

Banned
Wallach said:
The dog eyes thing is totally 100% repro, it will happen every time you are along the tutorial quest. :lol

Anyhow, I'm done for the night (for real this time). Didn't wind up restarting, just going to play it with Guns and hope for the best.

Only run into one other bug besides the dog thing, which was a weird quest bug that I managed to find a workaround for.

You should post the issue and the said workaround just in case anyone else runs into that problem.

Still didn't get a Pip-Boy notification or audio cue with the Indiana Jones reference. I know I didn't get it the first time, either. Oh well.

Sanic

I was going to wait until I built a new PC later in the month and buy this then, but... 360 version, here I come! :lol.

Lard said:
"How could I tell you whether or not it's an insult that you're being asked to pay $60 for a game that's so technically deficient that it scarcely feels past the beta stage?" - Joystiq

That is not an encouraging endorsement.

Godbless six dollar rentals!

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
water_wendi said:
Did people say this kind of stuff about Vice City or San Andreas?

they tried to, but both were significant upgrades from III, I don't know anything about Vegas' upgrades or lack of...

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
levious said:
they tried to, but both were significant upgrades from III, I don't know anything about Vegas' upgrades or lack of...
i dont know. If you have multiple games coming out within the same generation they tend to use the same engine and go for slight upgrades. Its never really been an issue for me, i guess, which i why i find the complaints about it funny.

Wallach

avcables said:
You should post the issue and the said workaround just in case anyone else runs into that problem.

Still didn't get a Pip-Boy notification or audio cue with the Indiana Jones reference. I know I didn't get it the first time, either. Oh well.

Very early game spoilers:

When you finish the tutorial part, right after making the healing powder, there's a guy near the Goodsprings Source that tells you his girl is trapped on the ridge by some geckos. When you get to the top and clear them out, you just find some corpses and a stash along with some other stuffs (WW).

After that, if you head back down the path the guy will run up to you and reveal it was basically a scam to get you to kill everything so he could take the stash for himself. At this point, if I triggered that conversation it would auto-fail the quest follow up for the tutorial mission (where it tells you to talk to Trudy). I played through this part twice so I know this isn't supposed to happen (besides it being pretty obvious).

Luckily I had a quick save up near the stash, so as a work around I fast traveled from there back to Goodsprings, finished the quest follow up by talking to Trudy, then went back to trigger his script where he tries to kill you.

I seriously have no idea if I want this game or not.

I loved Fallout 3 even though I played it on a shitty computer at 20 frames per second back in 2008. If I get New Vegas it I will get it on my new PC which will be able to run it at full settings.

I have until Friday to decide because that is when it is released in the UK.

HELP ME MAKE MY DECISION! (If you say "buy it", please tell me why.)

Marvie_3

Banned
ashbash159 said:
I seriously have no idea if I want this game or not.

I loved Fallout 3 even though I played it on a shitty computer at 20 frames per second back in 2008. If I get New Vegas it I will get it on my new PC which will be able to run it at full settings.

I have until Friday to decide because that is when it is released in the UK.

HELP ME MAKE MY DECISION!
Buy it.

nofi

Our review: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/10/19/review-fallout-new-vegas/

Fallout: New Vegas is a peculiar beast. It is so similar to its predecessor that it can be difficult to see where the development time was spent. While that is certainly not going to be seen as a problem for the millions of fans who spent hours with Fallout 3, it would be disingenuous to pretend that this is much more than a tweaked and relocated return to the Fallout universe.

The fact that the many issues with glitches and bugs weren’t ironed out of this release would be unforgivable if the core game wasn’t so tirelessly compulsive and complex. As it is, we have to warn our readers that there are some serious problems here. Your enjoyment of the game will largely depend on how much you’re willing to forgive the issues. If you don’t mind working around them then this could be a game of the year contender, otherwise, you might just think it’s broken.

7/10.

Well I guess the only issues that people are having is that it is almost the same as Fallout 3 (which is a good thing for me) and has horrible bugs (which I think I can handle).

I've decided to buy it... unless someone else says why it is a bad game apart from what I wrote above.

avcables

Banned
ashbash159 said:
Well I guess the only issues that people are having is that it is almost the same as Fallout 3 (which is a good thing for me) and has horrible bugs (which I think I can handle).

I've decided to buy it... unless someone else says why it is a bad game apart from what I wrote above.

New Vegas is a prime example of a formula that wasn't broke and didn't need to be altered.

There was no reason to change the core of the series. I'm disappointed that there wasn't a graphical upgrade, though. This engine needs to be replaced or revamped, no question. But it still looks gorgeous because the art direction has always been top notch. Being able to create a weathered futuristic past is always difficult but it's been pulled off quite nicely again.

And the bugs will get fixed. And we'll get mods of our own on PC, so that alone is a huge plus.

No regrets. Loving the shit out of this game thus far.

Dennis

Banned
So the game is buggy as hell? Just like Fallout 3!

That engine is so shit :lol

Though Fallout 3 could be modded to look very nice and atmospheric.

avcables

Banned
DennisK4 said:

Yes, yes, and yes. In the end, there is nothing negative that will come of the end result for New Vegas. Through patches and modding, of course.

Also, vid. coming in a second with some atmospheric music. I'll be recording more and just cutting the audio because some of it is SO good.

DennisK4 said:

I pray that this game marks the end of gamebryo for Bethesda. Come come ID Tech 5. :D

UPS just delivered my copy and it's sitting on the corner of my desk. This is going to be a long day at work. I'll have to skim through this thread for some PC impressions.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
TouchMyBox said:
I pray that this game marks the end of gamebryo for Bethesda. Come come ID Tech 5. :D
There was a link earlier to a Todd Howard interview i cant find right now from August 2010 talking about "squeezing every last drop" from Gamebryo. From that id expect the next Beth game to use Gamebryo again.

Lothars

water_wendi said:
There was a link earlier to a Todd Howard interview i cant find right now from August 2010 talking about "squeezing every last drop" from Gamebryo. From that id expect the next Beth game to use Gamebryo again.

I doubt that, I think New Vegas will be the last game to use Gamebryo, I really don't think the next Bethesda game will be using it because it probably will be an elder scrolls game.

water_wendi said:

But there are no drops left to be squeezed! :'(

Among my friends, the word "Gamebryo" is used to describe a game with shitty animation.

Wallach

Is anyone playing a melee or unarmed build so far? I'm tempted to start one tomorrow to explore the changes to those. I am quickly losing interest in looking for a Bozar at this point.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Obsidian working on an already horribly shitty and buggy engine sounded like a recipe for success from the very beginning.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Fallout-NL said:
Both of those looked better than GTAIII, moreover they looked sufficiently different. And they weren't buggy messes.
They looked very similar to GTA3 to me. If you took screenshots from between the three games and someone who did not know of the three games being different saw them i would say there is a good chance they would be tagged as being from the same game. Most games that come out within a single generation tend to use the same engine. Not every game, but a good portion of them.

Okay BOUGHT!

Can't wait until Friday now.
Didn't know it could be pre-installed. That's nice.
Also what happens with the pre-purchase extras? Is it automatically in the game?

Steam said:
Pre-Purchase Fallout: New Vegas and receive the Caravan Pack. Click here for details.
Is this the same bonus as the Americans get? That link doesn't work so I don't know what I get.

water_wendi said:
Did people say this kind of stuff about Vice City or San Andreas?
i don't think you needed to spend much time with either vice city or san andreas to judge them if you had played GTA3, which I think is the point that he's trying to make there.

sflufan

Banned
Lyphen said:
Obsidian working on an already horribly shitty and buggy engine sounded like a recipe for success from the very beginning.

Hell, I'm pleasantly surprised that the .exe file even works!

avcables

Banned
ashbash159 said:
Okay BOUGHT!

Can't wait until Friday now.
Didn't know it could be pre-installed. That's nice.
Also what happens with the pre-purchase extras? Is it automatically in the game?

Is this the same bonus as the Americans get? That link doesn't work so I don't know what I get.

Not sure, but I'm pissed either way. I forgot to pre-order it on Steam. I ended up buying it five hours after it released when Steam loaded up and had Fallout: New Vegas in a huge display on the front page.

I don't care it if was 2 bottle caps for pre-ordering. EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS.

avcables

Banned
sflufan said:
Hell, I'm pleasantly surprised the .exe file even works!

It's so bad, Steam crashed twice while it was trying to install it.

And then my computer caught fire.

Vik Vaughn said:
So no CEs anywhere. The one time I don't preorder a limited edition it turns out to be actually limited.

Steam should get in the business of selling special CEs with just the extra's and no game, free shipping. I'm sure that would be hugely popular.

i-Lo

Help me understand this: How does weapon systems evolve in 3 years (after Fallout 3) to acquire guns from future (such as variants of 9mm Colt SSP, M16 carbine etc) in an America has is almost frozen in time?

Well it still feature the same refrigerators, aid boxes, safes and foot lockers

:lol

Hixx

Hmm.. expected the game to be somewhat buggy but some of the reviews make it sound worse than I imagined. Might go with the PC version for user-made fixes etc then...

Time to see how much this is on Steam I guess.

edit: £30 fuck that. Physical media for me, £8 cheaper.

i-Lo said:
Help me understand this: How does weapon systems evolve in 3 years (after Fallout 3) to acquire guns from future (such as variants of 9mm Beretta, M16 carbine etc) in an America has is almost frozen in time?

Well it still feature the same refrigerators, aid boxes, safes and foot lockers

:lol
Because all those weapons were present in the real Fallout games. :eek:

*Or rather the tech was there, weapons had funky names but their real world counterparts were implied (the assault rifle for example is an AK developed in ~2000 sometime). Fallout Tactics on the other hand used a lot more real-world weapons, names and design.

Top Bottom