• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

charsace

kamspy said:
The disc check is patched out of Fallout 3 if you have any DLC. I just launch it through Steam. No biggie.
I don't have any of the dlc. :(

Never finished fallout3, but would love to finish it now before even buying this. Would be much easier for me if I could just enter the key into steam and dl it and play without the disc.

Part of me wants to wait until this save issue is definitely resolved.

What would be more painful: not playing this yet or playing it and losing hours of progress? Hmmm!

kamspy

charsace said:

Never finished fallout3, but would love to finish it now before even buying this. Would be much easier for me if I could just enter the key into steam and dl it and play without the disc.

Buy Broken Steel from GFWL.

graywolf323

The_Reckoning said:
So, after the DLC exclusive to 360 debacle, in a fit of passion I emailed Steam to cancel my pre-order. They did nothing, so I begrudgingly
Happily!!
played at midnight release day. Got hooked, forgot all about my tissy fit. Go to play today, that shit was refunded and no longer in my library! The nerve... needless to say I'm buying it again... haha
game is so good.

same thing happened to me, I ended up getting a copy from GameStop using a bunch of store credit instead :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Foliorum Viridum said:
Part of me wants to wait until this save issue is definitely resolved.

What would be more painful: not playing this yet or playing it and losing hours of progress? Hmmm!

What is the save issue? Is it a PC thing?

I always keep multiple saves, I kind of rotate between at least 2 just in case anything irreversible happens.

iammeiam

I have to say, traveling around the Mojave wasteland with
Boone and Rex
is fucking awesome; I usually only find out there are bugs/hostile animals in the area when the screen jumps to the final-blow animation as a companion takes them out, and
Rex
is a
CYBER-DOG
which is unbelievably awesome in and of itself.

Snuggler said:
What is the save issue? Is it a PC thing?

I always keep multiple saves, I kind of rotate between at least 2 just in case anything irreversible happens.
The issue, as best as I understand it, involves faulty implementation of Steam Cloud save support regardless of whether or not Steam Cloud is enabled. The only way to get around it 100% (at least I think it's fool-proof) is to launch the game in offline mode.

Anyway, the issue as I understand it is that when synching with Steam Cloud (or attempting to at least as part of the startup of the game), it creates a backup save. Unfortunately for many people, it appears to be swapping old backups with current saves. So, it backs up your current, good save, and then reverts to an older file. I'm probably getting some of the specifics wrong here, but that's the gist of it. It seems to be more of an issue with auto/quick saves, but manual saves aren't exempt either.

I hated companions in Fallout 3. They made sneaking around too hard. Do you have to bring them around or can you just leave them in a house or something.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Jamesfrom818 said:
I hated companions in Fallout 3. They made sneaking around too hard. Do you have to bring them around or can you just leave them in a house or something.

You can tell them to stay where ever you want, to keep them safe or out of the way.

I'm traveling with Veronica right now. She seems nice but I can't get too attached since she's likely to die next time shit gets crazy.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Oh and this experience from last night:

I'm on the tutorial quest where you gather stuff for sunny to show you the crafting system, and I'm coming down the hill from the graveyard when suddenly some intense music starts playing and A GIANT SCORPION comes out of nowhere. Not those little orange ones you see early on, but a big fucking grey one the size of a lion.

It comes at me but I make it to town and people start shooting so I'm like "phew, I guess the town guards will take care of it" and stop and watch, but the two guys - some random villager and Easy Pete take pot shots at it, but my comfort turns to horror as they are promptly overrun and fucking murdered by a giant mutant scorpion.

So I open fire and my bullets apparently do nothing. Its on me in seconds.

It hits me once for half my health but I manage to run inside the Bar to gather myself together and equip my 9mm, run outside and the most epic 10 minute struggle with this giant scorpion commences.

Once its over I have 1 HP left and have completely run out of all my various ammo types, but the damn beast is dead. I managed to finish the job with a baseball bat at the last moment.

I walk over to the corpse of easy pete, I actually really liked this guy and am kinda bummed I'll never get to hear more about his storied career as a prospector. I promptly loot him and his buddy villager for their goods, (YAY dynamite!) and drop a bottle of whiskey on the ground to signify pouring one out for my fallen comrades.

I love this game.

kai3345

Banned
Kodiak said:

I'm on the tutorial quest where you gather stuff for sunny to show you the crafting system, and I'm coming down the hill from the graveyard when suddenly some intense music starts playing and A GIANT SCORPION comes out of nowhere. Not those little orange ones you see early on, but a big fucking grey one the size of a lion.

It comes at me but I make it to town and people start shooting so I'm like "phew, I guess the town guards will take care of it" and stop and watch, but the two guys - some random villager and easy pete take pot shots at it and promptly get fucking murdered. So I open fire and my bullets do apparently no damage.

It hits me once for half my health so I run inside the Bar to gather myself together and equip my 9mm, run outside and the most epic 10 minute struggle with this giant scorpion commences.

Once its over I have 1 HP left and 0 bullets across all three of my guns, but the damn beast is dead.

I walk over to the corpse of easy pete, I actually really liked this guy and am kinda bummed I'll never get to hear more about his storied career as a prospector. I promptly loot him and his buddy villager for their goods, (YAY dynamite!) and drop a bottle of whiskey on the ground to signify pouring one out for my fallen comrades.

I love this game.

Lol that's awesome

zlatko

Banned
On PC I had a HUGE frame rate issue when you take on all the gang members at the beginning area. I was going to chuck dynamite at them, but the game slowed down to like 12 frames if not crappier for a good while, then went back to normal.

I rarely notice frame rate issues unless it's really bad. It's also a shame that I've had two instances where I had to revert to last save due to getting stuck in rocks, yet on Fallout 3 I never had to once. :(

Animator

zlatko said:
On PC I had a HUGE frame rate issue when you take on all the gang members at the beginning area. I was going to chuck dynamite at them, but the game slowed down to like 12 frames if not crappier for a good while, then went back to normal.

I rarely notice frame rate issues unless it's really bad. It's also a shame that I've had two instances where I had to revert to last save due to getting stuck in rocks, yet on Fallout 3 I never had to once. :(

dl the dll fix. It works and makes the game not stutter when there are more than 2 people on the screen during battles.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Kodiak said:
I love this game.

Heh, that's what I love about these games, the crazy little stories that play out.

I lost Pete as well. : ( There was a shootout and he was our only man who didn't make it. I cut off his body's head with a machete, it made sense in a weird way.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Snuggler said:
Heh, that's what I love about these games, the crazy little stories that play out.

I lost Pete as well. : ( There was a shootout and he was our only man who didn't make it. I cut off his body's head with a machete, it made sense in a weird way.

mmhm, I feel for you

yep, sad : (

WAIT WHA- WHAT WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dresden said:
gotta keep the memory of your bros alive

by lugging around their severed heads

I just wish you could keep their heads and display them in a gallery at your house like trophies. It would be a great way to remember all your fallen friends.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Snuggler said:
I just wish you could keep their heads and display them in a gallery at your house like trophies. It would be a great way to remember all your fallen friends.

Damn, scary dude!!

better to get on steam or PC-DVD?:D

Stallion Free said:
Just disable Steam Cloud for the game.

Ok, I'll do that.

Question, though. Am I too assume that those saves are forever gone? Thank god I didn't play much more than an hour since that last save. This is incredibly discouraging.

NoRéN

Kodiak said:

It comes at me but I make it to town and people start shooting so I'm like "phew, I guess the town guards will take care of it" and stop and watch, but the two guys - some random villager and Easy Pete take pot shots at it, but my comfort turns to horror as they are promptly overrun and fucking murdered by a giant mutant scorpion.

It hits me once for half my health but I manage to run inside the Bar to gather myself together and equip my 9mm, run outside and the most epic 10 minute struggle with this giant scorpion commences.

Once its over I have 1 HP left and have completely run out of all my various ammo types, but the damn beast is dead. I managed to finish the job with a baseball bat at the last moment.

I love this game.
:lol
I like your style.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Quick tip. Don't give your companions any faction-specific armor, or you won't get it back.

My first glitch! It took 16 hours.

Crazetex

Kodiak said:

I love this game.

It's stories like this that make me buy these crazy wRPGs.

Stallion Free said:
Just disable Steam Cloud for the game.
That's not guaranteed either. Offline mode should work, though. Also, if you restart Steam, there's supposedly been an official fix for this. I can't confirm that, though.

WanderingWind said:
Quick tip. Don't give your companions any faction-specific armor, or you won't get it back.

My first glitch! It took 16 hours.
Actually they drop it on the ground if they can't equip it.

Fitz

charsace said:

Not sure if this'll be useful to you now but I'll put it out there anyway. It's not specifically the DLC that removes the DRM from FO3, it's the patch/es, which happen to be included/required by some of the DLC. So you can remove the disk check by installing the latest patch (1.7) which is on the official Fallout site.

WanderingWind

SalsaShark said:
Still installing this bitch.

So, its wild wasteland too wacky or just the occasional funny reference ?

It's actually only popped up once for me. I'm expecting more in the future, but the one instance thus far was fairly muted.

I bought this game yesterday. Got home, showered, rolled a fat one while it was installing, and proceeded to get lost in the Fallout world again....for all of about 15 mins before I had my first freeze! (I never even got through the training) :lol

Soo pissed, I turned it off in disgust. :( (PS3 Ver) Hopefully I'll have better luck tonight. :D

Wiggum2007

I like everything about Hardcore mode except for companion perma-death, doesn't really seem fair given the shitty companion AI in Fallout.

There should be a compromise system where after they're knocked unconscious you have a limited time to go up to them and revive them for the cost of a few stimpacks or something, otherwise they die.

White Man

Don't be so shocked by the bugs. I'm sure Obsidian was just doing their best to match the insane buginess of pre-patch Fallout 2 in relation to the first game.

Or maybe, since this is the second FO on a Bethesda engine they threw in some of the ludicrous buginess of Daggerfall.

I went back a week or so back to try to go through FO3, and the scripting was a lot shoddier than I remembered it being. I inadvertently broke 2 (side, non-story) missions on my first night, and you can do it by simply standing in the wrong place at the wrong time. I think it's kinda cute.

I tossed this in last night for a bit, and although I can't say why, I like the atmosphere and vibe a bit more.

Snuggler said:
You can tell them to stay where ever you want, to keep them safe or out of the way.

I'm traveling with Veronica right now. She seems nice but I can't get too attached since she's likely to die next time shit gets crazy.
That reminds me, is there a command to call a companion to follow you after telling them to stay put? It works in resident evil 4/5.

WanderingWind

Wiggum2007 said:
I like everything about Hardcore mode except for companion perma-death, doesn't really seem fair given the shitty companion AI in Fallout.

There should be a compromise system where after they're knocked unconscious you have a limited time to go up to them and revive them for the cost of a few stimpacks or something, otherwise they die.

Ah. So that's a Hardcore Mode thing. I was wondering. There are some definite frustrations with HM, but the big one for me is the constant limb crippling. Every battle it seems I end up with something crippled. The stuff to make Doctor's Bag is super rare and I don't know how often doctors restock them, but it's not very often.

Overall, though, HM makes the game into something that even NMA freaks would be happy with if they were honest with themselves.

I'm only about an hour into the game and I think I just stumbled into a strange wasteland occurrence.
It was a fridge with a skeleton inside. There was an item in the fridge as well, a suave gambler hat.

Am I crazy or is this an Indiana Jones 4 reference?

kai3345

Banned
"Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter"

Wiggum2007

WanderingWind said:
Ah. So that's a Hardcore Mode thing. I was wondering. There are some definite frustrations with HM, but the big one for me is the constant limb crippling. Every battle it seems I end up with something crippled. The stuff to make Doctor's Bag is super rare and I don't know how often doctors restock them, but it's not very often.

Note to self: Don't pick "Small Frame" trait for Hardcore playthrough.

The lack of different voice actors is just as bad as ever. There's this one voice actor that I hear everywhere, it feels like he's the voice of 1/3 of non-special male NPCs.

Laekon

Are energy weapons as rare as in the early game of FO3? I played FO3 as a sneaking good guy using guns and the game was a little to easy/boring. I'm looking at being more evil and using energy weapons for this game but don't want to be dragged down by lack of weapons and ammo.

Also is there any long range energy weapons that compare to a sniper rifle?

kai3345

Banned
So is that "Speech 18/25" thing saying I have an 18 out of 25 chance to pass the Speech check? Or that I have 18 points and need 25 to pass it.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Wiggum2007 said:
Note to self: Don't pick "Small Frame" trait for Hardcore playthrough.

Woops. I definitely did that.

I must rely on my stealth and lockpick and speech skill- OH SHIT HE SAW ME FROM ACROSS THE DARK HALLWAY AND HE HAS A FLAMING GRENADE LAUNCHER

Top Bottom