• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

ramyeon

Yeah I think probably somewhere between the tutorial for your job and after completing it, should also let you activate streetpass/multiplayer/link mode, if not continue the story a bit more then go back to her.
Cheers! Finally got it, it was after doing the first Flutter's Request.

Decided to start off as a Miner since I feel like these gathering classes will be more useful starting off than a combat class. Had to unequip the Novice Miner gear right away though, it looks terrible haha.

zlCfzSe5XageeaodZe

Alastor3

I just saw the trailers, seems like the game try to do too much and don't focus on one thing in particular, is it like animal crossing chores like ?

I just saw the trailers, seems like the game try to do too much and don't focus on one thing in particular, is it like animal crossing chores like ?
It's nothing like Animal Crossing beyond some very light decorating elements. This is a very common misconception.

It's much closer to Rune Factory. It's an RPG through and through.

It's 4am. Somehow it's 4am!
I love this game so far, it's everything I was hoping for after loving DQIX so much.
Didn't get to start until tonight, seems I've got some catching up to do already :)
Here's my guy:

zlCfzSe6nE0NPXdYp6_zpsd1beedda.jpeg

Velcro Fly

So AC-GAF that is getting this game

DLC day 1 or not? Since you all are on my friends list and I'd probably play online with you guys the most, what say you? I'm ok either way. Personally leaning towards getting it early.

I'm tempted to drive down and pick this up now...but one big question first.

Are the jobs / lives / classes really in-depth? Can I focus on one thing solely, or is the point of the game to eventually do everything?

daydream

Banned

Are the jobs / lives / classes really in-depth? Can I focus on one thing solely, or is the point of the game to eventually do everything?

The latter. You can spend a lot of time with one class but you absolutely should switch at some point. You'll get the most out of it if you eventually switch between all classes, you're a one man economy, basically. That's how I like to look at it.

Really excited to play this when I get home tonight, been waiting a very long time to play so I hope it lives up to expectations!

Any other Australians getting the game today?

Linius

DLC day 1 or not? Since you all are on my friends list and I'd probably play online with you guys the most, what say you? I'm ok either way. Personally leaning towards getting it early.

I bought some shop credit already. So I can get the DLC anytime. It seems quite a few buy it right away because of the extra customisation options.

Fun to seeyou guys Ramyeon and Conrad in here too now. New Leaf Gaf can migrate into this new community completely once NA gets the game too :p

ramyeon

And a few hours later...

zlCfzSe7okYRigH_Im

Became an Apprentice Miner, got a crazy good set of armour for this point in the game, got a pet dog named Blitz, upgraded my bag and also got the ability to hire horses too :D
The latter. You can spend a lot of time with one class but you absolutely should switch at some point. You'll get the most out of it if you eventually switch between all classes, you're a one man economy, basically. That's how I like to look at it.
Speaking of which, when's a good time to switch? I'm really quite enjoying Miner at the moment but some of these requests I'm getting are tempting me to switch to Angler/Cook to complete them!
I bought some shop credit already. So I can get the DLC anytime. It seems quite a few buy it right away because of the extra customisation options.

Fun to seeyou guys Ramyeon and Conrad in here too now. New Leaf Gaf can migrate into this new community completely once NA gets the game too :p
Definitely good to see familiar faces in here! I miss the AC-GAF community but after my SD card failed and I lost my village I was too crushed to start over :( Look forward to doing a bit of multiplayer in this once more people get their hands on it!

Also yeah, I got the DLC right away because of the extra customisation. Kind of a pain that the multiplayer isn't cross compatible.

daydream

Banned
Speaking of which, when's a good time to switch? I'm really quite enjoying Miner at the moment but some of these requests I'm getting are tempting me to switch to Angler/Cook to complete them!

Whenever you feel like it. Sounds like you're good to switch and try something else. I love how it's non-committal like that.

Are you getting the DLC btw? If so, feel free to add me! FC is in my profile. :)

ramyeon

Whenever you feel like it. Sounds like you're good to switch and try something else. I love how it's non-committal like that.

Are you getting the DLC btw? If so, feel free to add me! FC is in my profile. :)
Yeah I love that you can just switch back and forth with relative ease, I think I'll take on this Wingstone in the Waterfall Cave and then switch over, once I do that I should have levelled up to the next Miner level anyway :D

Yep I got the DLC, will add you! My FC is in my profile too :)

Linius

Completing some of the fishing stuff requires me to go to the west grassy plains. So far I've only seen the east side and Castele. And the Haniwa Cave of course. After 6,5 hours I'm far from bored having stayed only in the beginning area. This was a good impulse buy.

Cerity

^ yep, certaintly going to be interesting. Started out as a miner, hit apprentice, went to blacksmithing, found some of the mats required wood, so went to woodcutter. Just hit apprentice in woodcutter and it's time to go to carpenter to make beams so I can get back to blacksmithing.

Have made it to the west grasslands but getting the other lives up until I'm satisfied, which just might be all of them lol.

Velcro Fly

This is going to be the kind of game I play and play and the next thing I know the red light is on and I need to charge my 3DS. Everything I've read from people already playing the game excites me.

Need to crush this backlog the next month so that I can enjoy this game with no regrets!

Also the intend to buy is up for us in North America that don't have the game yet!

Chaos17

You can focus mainly on one job.
You can skip the other jobs if you don't wanna craft.
Change job when you want, the game is not forcing you to play everything.
It's your life, you choose what you want to do with it.

ramyeon

Man, Life changing is addictive. I've gone through Blacksmith, Tailor and now Angler in the last couple of hours. Levelling each one up to at least Apprentice along the way. Great way to earn Bliss, too.

MLH

I was wondering how to distribute stat points on my character. At first I chose Str and Vit since the in game description said they boost attack and defense respectively, but the paladin friend (I forget her name) said to focus on Str, Focus and Dex.

Since the in-game descriptions are pretty poor, I found the Wiki page which offers a better breakdown of what stats do:
http://fantasy-life.wikia.com/wiki/Stats

Robin64

I've been pumping everything in Dex for my Hunter.

I hope we can respec somewhere, the stat allocation is making me feel wary about trying Magician, Paladin or Mercenary with what I've already done.

Edit: Japan got an item via purchase as DLC called the "Demon Mirror", which went in your room and could reset stat points.

Other items they got via DLC included:

- A ring that regenerated HP
- Shoes that give 50% more exp from monsters you get the killing blow on
- A ring that removes the CP cost of dashing

Linius

Added you! My FC: 5043-1159-2527

Pretty sure I have a lot of FL-GAF already (I know I have Robin, Kourio, Samurai and Mich) but if somebody wants to add me, please feel free! Just let me know here or via PM.

Man, (real) life really got in the way today, I'll start digging into it come tomorrow.

Added you back!

On Wii U I think, not on 3DS though. Registered you and it's still awaiting your end apparently.

4897-5919-3656

Edit : dang, I might reroll my character. Something feel off.

(Re)added you two as well.

My FC: 2878 - 9809 - 6283

From the top of my mind I still have Samurai-Heart, Ramyeon and Mich. And when our NA friends join I know Niraj, Silkysmooth and Eudaemonic are still on my list. I managed to trim it down to 52 now btw, so I have space enough for the time being. Looking forward to test some co-op play later today.

By the way, does anyone know what the maximum level for your character is?

Kouriozan

It's really slow and painful to type something with that virtual keyboard, that would be my only complain about this game.
Anyway, I'm going to play a bit more as a magician until I get more spell then I'll switch to carpenter to make a good staff.

Linius

For some reason I just can't find Plains Eels. And I'm in the west side of the grassy plains. Apple Fishes have gone extinct too sadly :(

Too bad btw that I have been beating snakes and beetle ballers left and right but only get xp for them. They're also part of the paladin challenges but I'm playing as Angler currently.

Damn, that kinda kills it for me. I was really hoping it'd be a game where you could get lost in a role, rather than be forced to constantly switch around.

I'm gonna stick to being a wood cutter for as long as possible!
Tried online a little.
It's cool how the person you play with gets some loot too whenever you fish/kill/etc.
I only know how to chop and they only knew how to fish so relying on each other at certain spots was cool. If I knew how to do everything myself it seems like it would take away some of the 'need' to play with others a bit.

The not being able to save is a bit dodgy though. After getting a few bounties I was just constantly paranoid the game was gonna disconnect and I could lose everything.
Seeing that damn Resetti error icon so much has scarred me haha

Robin64

Damn, that kinda kills it for me. I was really hoping it'd be a game where you could get lost in a role, rather than be forced to constantly switch around.

You can if that's what you want to do, too. Particularly if you plan to dive in to multiplayer, but even solo it's a fine way to play.

Edit: See Jo above!

What's your FC, Jo?

ramyeon

Damn, that white Taurus on the west plains is a tough fella.
I think I'm over levelled since I took him out pretty easy, but then those damn monsters on the balls south of him destroyed the bounty box :/ first time that ever happened to me.

Only really hard enemies I've found were some kind of Wraith in Everwood and that giant green bird in the West Plains. Couldn't even make a dent in them.

Linius

I think I'm over levelled since I took him out pretty easy, but then those damn monsters on the balls south of him destroyed the bounty box :/ first time that ever happened to me.

Only really hard enemies I've found were some kind of Wraith in Everwood and that giant green bird in the West Plains. Couldn't even make a dent in them.

Those beetle ballers smashed my bounty box too. I was walking past them and wanted to read the sign there when they came up to me. Tryed to pick up the crate but missed and drew my sword instead and by the time I tryed again the box was gone. Then I killed those beetle ballers. I was level 10 there btw.

ramyeon

Those beetle ballers smashed my bounty box too. I was walking past them and wanted to read the sign there when they came up to me. Tryed to pick up the crate but missed and drew my sword instead and by the time I tryed again the box was gone. Then I killed those beetle ballers. I was level 10 there btw.
Oh yeah I'm pretty OP then, I was level 15 haha. Those Beetle Ballers are super annoying, they made almost a roadblock between me and the Bounty Collector haha, then they just circled around the bounty and smashed it to pieces right in front of me :(

Swift revenge was dealt.

Btw will taking on a Paladin or Mercenary Life allow me to wield swords even with other Lives? Been making do with Daggers up until now but I figure a Sword will give me better hitting power.

Robin64

I wonder if getting a lot of applause does anything :D

Btw will taking on a Paladin or Mercenary Life allow me to wield swords even with other Lives? Been making do with Daggers up until now but I figure a Sword will give me better hitting power.

Yep! My Angler has a nice Oak Bow that I made as a Carpenter for my Hunter. (Love the synergy)

ramyeon

I wonder if getting a lot of applause does anything :D

Yep! My Angler has a nice Oak Bow that I made as a Carpenter for my Hunter. (Love the synergy)
Great! How are bows like to use? Kind of tempted to go that route since for whatever reason Paladin doesn't really interest me.

moozoom

I am 20+ hours already in game, and I just got the DLC last night... mainly because I heard of the new haircuts and customization content, and also because I knew the 2 people I'm playing with would buy it anyway.

The new (many) haircuts are nice, also there are lots of new face parts available to create your character, but I don't see myself starting a new game to use them (most of them are quite silly looking).

I tried to connect to my DLC-less friend just to see... and It gave me the message about version 1.00 not compatible blabla - a.k.a : "tell your friend to buy it or you will play ALONE"

Not cool. I love this game, but I don't see how the 2K download changed my game content so much that we can't play together anymore. They should just have added the haircuts and faceparts to the game, and kept the DLC for the high level endgame.

moozoom

Great! How are bows like to use? Kind of tempted to go that route since for whatever reason Paladin doesn't really interest me.

I LOVE bows. I'm a level 20 Hunter and I destroy most monsters, when my bf has some problems with his lvl 20 Paladin. I love the different attacks, and you can kill most foes at a distance without ever getting wounded.

!! Sorry double post !!

ramyeon

I LOVE bows. I'm a level 20 Hunter and I destroy most monsters, when my bf has some problems with his lvl 20 Paladin. I love the different attacks, and you can kill most foes at a distance without ever getting wounded.
Well I'm convinced, looks like Hunter will be my next Life :D

Gone from Miner > Blacksmith > Tailor > Angler and now Hunter! Got Miner and Angler to Adept and the others to Apprentice. I love how flexible this system is.

Added. I'll be sure to turn you on in Link too. Weird system, but there it is!

4897-5919-3656

I'll add you too :)

Added you both back :)
Good reminder about the Link stuff, I'll have to keep track of whoevers online and remember to Link them. Applause sounds fun!

Oh I read the manual, it seems you CAN Streetpass with non-DLC owners, they just won't receive any DLC-exclusive items you may be offering as a gift, that's all.

Lucifon

Can you switch to any life or is there a cap on the amount? E.g is there any point in rerolling if you can just switch to whatever life you want whenever you want?

Cerity

iMCmtPz.jpg

Done for today, my 3ds is blinking red at me :(. Went between Miner, blacksmith, carpenter, tailor and merc. Will try out fishing/cooking tomorrow.

Linius

Added you both back :)
Good reminder about the Link stuff, I'll have to keep track of whoevers online and remember to Link them. Applause sounds fun!

Oh I read the manual, it seems you CAN Streetpass with non-DLC owners, they just won't receive any DLC-exclusive items you may be offering as a gift, that's all.

Very important indeed, because if you don't link people manually you won't see them. I'm linking everyone who's playing Fantasy Life that I know of. So far only Mich showed up for me :p

Can you switch to any life or is there a cap on the amount? E.g is there any point in rerolling if you can just switch to whatever life you want whenever you want?

You can switch as much as you want and whenever you wabt.

iMCmtPz.jpg

Done for today, my 3ds is blinking red at me :(. Went between Miner, blacksmith, carpenter, tailor and merc. Will try out fishing/cooking tomorrow.

Damn, I'm a level 12 and I played 2,5 hours more than you. How do you guys level so fast :lol

Where I hand in bounty?

t0eb.jpg

Right there!

Also, there's another bounty office in the west grassy plains. And probably more if you keep exploring.

!! Sorry double post !!

Well the paladin is supposed to be a tank so that's normal

Top Bottom