• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

This might end being a useless post for now considering I think everyone here has picked up the DLC and I won't be getting it for a couple of days but just in case here's my friend code: 3969 - 6246 - 0339

Linius

iV8IUnbWZCPIg.JPG
ibpuqjPbtdTaIq.JPG

That feeling coming out of the Waterfall Cave with two of these golems as a bounty and a big ass ore :D

ibmqjrMvQP7Jy2.JPG
ibiG5pjjbSXRYf.JPG

Found these two amongst the stuff in the Waterfall Cave. These will probably come of use soon enough.

Think I'm gonna call it quits for today. This morning the clock was still on maybe 3 or 4 hours. By now I've got an adept angler, paladin and miner. Tomorrow I'm gonna continue with the woodcutter and smith. And do one or two more story quests probably. I've unlocked the road to the next big city now at least. And I'll have to explore the lava cave at some point to rank up with my lifes.

It's safe to say that I'm pretty hooked.

Grizzo

This might end being a useless post for now considering I think everyone here has picked up the DLC and I won't be getting it for a couple of days but just in case here's my friend code: 3969 - 6246 - 0339

you're not the only one, I haven't bought the DLC yet

I have to decide if I really want to get it or not by playing for a few days first. So far so good... though the game tends to be a little too much on the easy side

I've added you, my FC is on my profile!

daydream

Banned
Preparing to move for the first time (probably into the Log Cabin), got my pet bird. Everything's great, I'm hooked big time. This is exactly the game I was imagining in my head and I loooove it. <3

Linius

Preparing to move for the first time (probably into the Log Cabin), got my pet bird. Everything's great, I'm hooked big time. This is exactly the game I was imagining in my head and I loooove it. <3

I should look into moving once I get to the next city I think. How much does it cost to move typically?

Kouriozan

I also bought that 12k house.
Mining silver is faster than bronze because you just have to teleport to the second town, go down and tada! Same for gold with the 3rd town.
Blacksmith is great to make some dosh once you hit silver stuff. Having a bit of woodcutter skill help since the trees you need is very close to silver ores too.

I should look into moving once I get to the next city I think. How much does it cost to move typically?

Ugly house was 6k and nice house was 12k in the first town.

daydream

Banned

Yeah 6k and 12k respectively for the first two choices, like Kourio said.

Honestly, the 6k house is probably better located (Artisan's District) but eh, the other one looks way nicer. :p Also, it's a bit roomier, I think..

ramyeon

I also bought that 12k house.
Mining silver is faster than bronze because you just have to teleport to the second town, go down and tada! Same for gold with the 3rd town.
Blacksmith is great to make some dosh once you hit silver stuff. Having a bit of woodcutter skill help since the trees you need is very close to silver ores too.

Ugly house was 6k and nice house was 12k in the first town.
Sounds like I need to move on to the next town soon haha. Lots of stuff I can't craft in Blacksmith and Carpenter since I don't have the mats yet.

Linius

Ah, mining silver is in that porto something town right? How do you teleport there then? Does that paladin bring you there once you've been there for the story?

Grizzo

I just wish maybe that the game would refrain from holding our hand so much and stop telling us where to go and who to talk at every single moment.

you're not the only one, I haven't bought the DLC yet

I have to decide if I really want to get it or not by playing for a few days first. So far so good... though the game tends to be a little too much on the easy side

I've added you, my FC is on my profile!

My 3DS won't connect to the internet for some reason so I'll fix it and add you tommorow :)

Kouriozan

Ah, mining silver is in that porto something town right? How do you teleport there then? Does that paladin bring you there once you've been there for the story?
Buy an house there or flying from west Castel once you unlock it after lunares part 3 quest.

Linius

I just wish maybe that the game would refrain from holding our hand so much and stop telling us where to go and who to talk at every single moment.

Yeah, thanks to that build in system of completing Flutters requests you can never get 'lost'. Just do the list and the next story quest will present it self. And during the quest you'll have an arrow on your map the whole time to tell you where to go.

On the other hand I did expect something like this from the impressions I've read and the gameplay I've seen. This is mostly a game to just relax with like Animal Crossing. But with way more depth and RPG stuff. But you don't really have to overthink things or solve hard puzzles. I can see how this game might be appealing to kids as well given it's easy nature. It's easier than Pokémon even.

Buy an house there or flying from west Castel once you unlock it after lunares part 3 quest.

Oh you can buy multiple houses at the same time? And from where do you teleport when you want to go to that house?

Grizzo

Yeah, thanks to that build in system of completing Flutters requests you can never get 'lost'. Just do the list and the next story quest will present it self. And during the quest you'll have an arrow on your map the whole time to tell you where to go.

On the other hand I did expect something like this from the impressions I've read and the gameplay I've seen. This is mostly a game to just relax with like Animal Crossing. But with way more depth and RPG stuff. But you don't really have to overthink things or solve hard puzzles. I can see how this game might be appealing to kids as well given it's easy nature. It's easier than Pokémon even.

Exactly, I think you nailed it. It's a relaxing game that you can enjoy at a leisurely pace (or just dash through it if you feel like it). It's full of content but nothing ever too deep. Plus it's charming and full of life.

I plan on giving this game to one of my best friend as a gift (I got an extra copy of the game through my work), but she never played any RPG in her life. She loves the Professor Layton series, some Kirby games and Animal Crossing, so I thought this would be the perfect game to maybe introduce her to RPG. Hope she's gonna like it!

Kouriozan

Oh you can buy multiple houses at the same time? And from where do you teleport when you want to go to that house?
Open the map, go to your home, there you can see 6 locations = you can have 6 houses at once.
By the way, Puerto Port house cost 50k, wow.

MicH

I kinda figured you would be able to have multiple houses as the teleport menu for "Your house" multiple options :p

Linius

Open the map, go to your home, there you can see 6 locations = you can have 6 houses at once.
By the way, Puerto Port house cost 50k, wow.

Thanks, that explains. Probably haven't even entered that menu yet. So many sub tabs everywhere.

I kinda figured you would be able to have multiple houses as the teleport menu for "Your house" multiple options :p

Hush you, don't make me feel stupid :p

Exactly, I think you nailed it. It's a relaxing game that you can enjoy at a leisurely pace (or just dash through it if you feel like it). It's full of content but nothing ever too deep. Plus it's charming and full of life.

I plan on giving this game to one of my best friend as a gift (I got an extra copy of the game through my work), but she never played any RPG in her life. She loves the Professor Layton series, some Kirby games and Animal Crossing, so I thought this would be the perfect game to maybe introduce her to RPG. Hope she's gonna like it!

That could be a perfect gift. I'm trying to get a friend of mine to play this game and maybe his gf too. She's into Animal Crossing and Tomodachi Life but also Zelda. So this should be right up her alley. Too bad LEVEL-5/Nintendo are doing a poor job at marketing this game over here. Even though they're quite informed they never heard of this game before I mentioned it last week.

ramyeon

How does Mercenary play compared to Paladin? I don't mind Paladin but I miss being able to do an attack that dodges backwards like you can with the Dagger since I usually prefer to dodge attacks than block them.

Grizzo

That could be a perfect gift. I'm trying to get a friend of mine to play this game and maybe his gf too. She's into Animal Crossing and Tomodachi Life but also Zelda. So this should be right up her alley. Too bad LEVEL-5/Nintendo are doing a poor job at marketing this game over here. Even though they're quite informed they never heard of this game before I mentioned it last week.

I've seen some commercials for it on french television, but nothing else (though that's already a lot coming from Nintendo!). I feel like they don't really care about how well the game does, seeing as Smash is coming out in a few days. Maybe it'll be a "grower" and sell steadily throughout the next few months, but I'm not holding my breath.

(by the way I've enabled you on my link mode if you wish to do the same!)

daydream

Banned
Yeah, everyone can enable me in Link mode. I'll certainly have it on all the time. I like following the progress you guys make. :)

Linius

I enable everyone who plays Fantasy Life. I enjoy the achievement spam :p

I think I don't have you on my friendslist btw Grizzo. I'll check in the morning, gonna go to bed now.

Cerity

I wish time moved just a little bit slower in game, at least there doesn't seem to be any penalty for staying out days on end.

How does Mercenary play compared to Paladin? I don't mind Paladin but I miss being able to do an attack that dodges backwards like you can with the Dagger since I usually prefer to dodge attacks than block them.

yeah, no dodging with the merc. Main weapon is a greatsword, big slow attacks that you're locked into.

Grizzo

Yeah, everyone can enable me in Link mode. I'll certainly have it on all the time. I like following the progress you guys make. :)

I think I'll do the same! Though it's too bad the game doesn't make a difference between people who own the game and everybody else on our friend list

I enable everyone who plays Fantasy Life. I enjoy the achievement spam :p

I think I don't have you on my friendslist btw Grizzo. I'll check in the morning, gonna go to bed now.

I have somebody named Linius, and I can see your mii so that means that person added me at some point. Does your friend code start with 2878? Maybe you erased me from your Friend List :p
it happens, don't worry

ramyeon

I wish time moved just a little bit slower in game, at least there doesn't seem to be any penalty for staying out days on end.

yeah, no dodging with the merc. Main weapon is a greatsword, big slow attacks that you're locked into.
Damn, yeah expected as much from the Claymore... I do wish there was a more speed oriented combat class. May have to just stick with Daggers but the damage output is pretty pathetic.

daydream

Banned
Playing as a Magician actually reminded me of a DS game I never got to try out myself but always was kinda interested in, Enchanted Folk and the School of Wizardry. Any of guys play that?

ramyeon

Okay, got Paladin up to Adept so now it's probably time to just move on with the story lol. Looking forward to getting to the second town, I've saved up a lot of Dosh so I can buy a House there too.

Playing as a Magician actually reminded me of a DS game I never got to try out myself but always was kinda interested in, Enchanted Folk and the School of Wizardry. Any of guys play that?

I remember reading about it, IIRC it was by Konami and they tried to copy Animal Crossing partially but didn't promote it well enough so kind of faded into obscurity, never played it as well.

Velcro Fly

That EU people for keeping me so hyped about this game! I've been reading this thread all weekend and everyone seems to be enjoying themselves already quite a bit! =)

daydream

Banned
So, what kind of (early) characters can I recruit as party members? Haven't encountered any NPC, yet, that I could hit up for that. It's just me and Tweety out there.

So, what kind of (early) characters can I recruit as party members? Haven't encountered any NPC, yet, that I could hit up for that. It's just me and Tweety out there.

Get to apprentice level for a life and the student that acts as your "rival" can follow you around if you press X on them then Y, make sure you talk to them first and they say that they'll follow you.

daydream

Banned
Get to apprentice level for a life and the student that acts as your "rival" can follow you around if you press X on them then Y, make sure you talk to them first and they say that they'll follow you.

Ah, thanks! I should really focus on some of these licence requirements, I get sidetracked very easily. :p

ramyeon

Yeah I've got a bunch of characters I can take out with me now but I generally prefer just going with my pet dog haha.

Finally started the Tale of Lunares Part 2! Feels like it's been such a long time since I progressed anywhere with the story.

Edit: Does anyone know what's required to cut down the White Fir trees on the Snowpeak Summit? Can't do any damage to them at the moment.

Edit 2: I'm running into progressively more stuff that I can't mine/cut down/fish. The fish regenerate health too quickly and the mining and tree spots I can't damage at all. For example in the Lava Cave on Snowpeak I can't mine the Dragon's Scab, or cash a lot of the fish there. Can't cut the weird fire tree thing in there either. Also can't collect anything off the Snowpeak Summit. Is this because I need to level up to Expert? Or do I just need better tools? It's strange because I need to get some of that stuff for Adept Level Challenges.

daydream

Banned
The second tier of spells is so much fun. I should probably switch classes soon but I'm just having a blast with Magician, haha.

Chaos17

There is a reptation system and it seems it only actived if you've the DLC. The reputation system allow npc to perform some skills and buffs. I tried : doggy, magician, merceray companion.

The woodcutter daughter seems to not do anything special :(

Edit 2: I'm running into progressively more stuff that I can't mine/cut down/fish. The fish regenerate health too quickly and the mining and tree spots I can't damage at all. For example in the Lava Cave on Snowpeak I can't mine the Dragon's Scab, or cash a lot of the fish there. Can't cut the weird fire tree thing in there either. Also can't collect anything off the Snowpeak Summit. Is this because I need to level up to Expert? Or do I just need better tools? It's strange because I need to get some of that stuff for Adept Level Challenges.
Strange.
I sugest you to put stat for your jobs
For example, I've 20 in strength and 14 in Focus.
I was able to gather materials in the fire cave and I'm at the adept level too.

But the snow mountain is tree and mineral are alse too hight for me.
Thoough, I was able to fish.
Also don't forget to upgrade your tool, at least till iron.

After Nature

Neo Member
I've been focusing on leveling up my current life and creating a good set of base skills, but I'm thinking that I should maybe progress the main story to open up more locations now. I have only opened up west grassy plains or whatever it's called. The one with the road leading up to Mt Snowpeak.

Chaos17

I've been focusing on leveling up my current life and creating a good set of base skills, but I'm thinking that I should maybe progress the main story to open up more locations now. I have only opened up west grassy plains or whatever it's called. The one with the road leading up to Mt Snowpeak.

The story do not really represent the progression of the game, I think it's more the classes'challenge that represent it because they kinda make "use/farm" each specif aera.

I'm level 26 and I did not yet go to second town because I wanted to clean all the challenges of my classes before moving on next town.

ramyeon

There is a reptation system and it seems it only actived if you've the DLC. The reputation system allow npc to perform some skills and buffs. I tried : doggy, magician, merceray companion.

The woodcutter daughter seems to not do anything special :(

Strange.
I sugest you to put stat for your jobs
For example, I've 20 in strength and 14 in Focus.
I was able to gather materials in the fire cave and I'm at the adept level too.

But the snow mountain is tree and mineral are alse too hight for me.
Thoough, I was able to fish.
Also don't forget to upgrade your tool, at least till iron.
Yeah I'm upgrading all my stuff. I can gather from Ores in the Lava Cave, but just not the Dragon Scab and the Tree in there. Also couldn't do anything to the floating tree in the Elderwood.

Chaos17

Yeah I'm upgrading all my stuff. I can gather from Ores in the Lava Cave, but just not the Dragon Scab and the Tree in there. Also couldn't do anything to the floating tree in the Elderwood.

Yeah, w ewill need probably to comeback later to do them.

Cerity

Miner, woodcutter, Mercenary and smith at Adept... going to move to the port once I clear the lava area. Can't seem to find palm trees in the plains, so I'm guessing they're at the port.

Apparently, it's a resounding "yes".

I guess there aren't any "big" reviews out since it's not out in the US yet. I'm just worried because the European reviews seem kinda mixed. It looks like my kind of game, though, and I always like supporting Level-5 since they're one of my favorite developers of all time.

weekev

Banned
I guess there aren't any "big" reviews out since it's not out in the US yet. I'm just worried because the European reviews seem kinda mixed. It looks like my kind of game, though, and I always like supporting Level-5 since they're one of my favorite developers of all time.
Honestly the game is great. Its animal crossing rpg basically. Charming, loads to do. As you can see most folks are totally ignoring the story to do side quests and level up. Dont be put off by the odd mediocre review.

ramyeon

Honestly the game is great. Its animal crossing rpg basically. Charming, loads to do. As you can see most folks are totally ignoring the story to do side quests and level up. Dont be put off by the odd mediocre review.
I don't feel like this shares much with AC. Definitely akin to games like Rune Factory though.

I'm supposed to be doing the Lunares quest part 3 but I got sidetracked by Nautilus Cave... so many ores to mine! Going through the cave twice got a bunch of my Challenges for Miner completed that I need to rank up to Expert :D

Went to buy this today.

Only copy I could find was at overpriced EB Games so I bought it online.

I hate how some game get such limited prints in Australia :\

weekev

Banned
I don't feel like this shares much with AC. Definitely akin to games like Rune Factory though.

I'm supposed to be doing the Lunares quest part 3 but I got sidetracked by Nautilus Cave... so many ores to mine! Going through the cave twice got a bunch of my Challenges for Miner completed that I need to rank up to Expert :D
You dont think being sent on little quests by villagers who then give you items that you can make your house look nicer before upgrading to a bigger house and looking for places to mine/fish/chop trees is like Animal Crossing?

Edit never played rune factory, is it good?

Top Bottom