• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

No love for Harvest Moon, Story of Seasons, Tomodachi Life and Disney Magical World?T_T
A New Beginning is great, but RF4 crushes it with ruthless abandon. In fact, RF4 is by far the greatest Harvest Moon game I've ever played.

Store of Seasons looks ace, Tomadachi Life looks really neat from what I've seen of it (though it doesn't quite overlap with everything I look for in a life sim... but I know I'd still enjoy the game for other reasons), and I'm not a huge fan of Disney properties so Disney Magical World doesn't appeal to me much, despite me really liking the concept.
#NeverForget

:'(
I'm so, so freaking sorry ;_; EU is my favorite continent with some of my favorite people - you all deserved so much better :/

quabba

A New Beginning is great, but RF4 crushes it with ruthless abandon. In fact, RF4 is by far the greatest Harvest Moon game I've ever played.
Err looks like I need to fire up my US XL and try this out. I remember seeing it on the eshop but it came out when I was busy with other stuff. Don't think I've ever got into a Rune Factory title before.

Hah, I did wonder about that. I figured we cooked a really nice meal for the final boss and he gave up or something.
ComposedGroundedHawaiianmonkseal.gif

Kouriozan

Wait, Amazon dispatched the game from Pas-De-Calais and I live in Champagne Ardenne (= it's very close) and just checked where it is and I might get it this morning.

*cross fingers*

EDIT : Hmm, I don't think I'll get it today anyway.

Well that was a weird review... I'm not sure that it actually said anything about the game or otherwise.

I'm not taking reviews for this game too seriously anyway. Most reviewers will play it for a few days or blast through the story quests (which people have said can take 20 hours) and then give their verdict, whereas it seems much like Animal Crossing to be a game that reveals its strengths after a considerable amount of time.

TWO DAYS!

Robin64

Yeah, it seemed like a really quick review that just glossed over everything so he could get on with reviewing more important games.

daxy

Managed to pick my copy up early! Does anyone know if it's possible to change your hairstyle later on? Not sure about the one I picked but I don't want to start over either.

Chaos17

Those reviews... they look like so copy pasted : "the game is cool but lack of challenge so it's for kids!" and yeah what with those old screenshots ? >_>'

Managed to pick my copy up early! Does anyone know if it's possible to change your hairstyle later on? Not sure about the one I picked but I don't want to start over either.

Yes, you will be able to change it.

TheMoon

Those reviews... they look like so copy pasted : "the game is cool but lack of challenge so it's for kids!" and yeah what with those old screenshots ? >_>'

And then they wonder why we give them shit for shit reviews. This is why.

hitgirl

I sort of want to try this since I've stopped played New Leaf (amazing game). But I dunno, it looks mediocre and I have a habbit of buying 3DS games and never playing them.

edit; This sounds like an offline Final Fantasy XI

Got email back:
Dear __________,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Fantasy Life DLC Multiplayer features.

We can confirm that you will only be able use multiplayer for the additional content with users who have also purchased the additional content.

We do hope that this information is of benefit to you, we thank you for your kind attention and continued support.
So guess peeps should try to buy DLC after finishing the game if they wanna play with those that don't have it(?) =/ Think they may have read my message wrong.

Robin64

Review scores seem pretty middling for the game so far. I'm counting on y'all to confirm/deny, PALs. Hope everyone enjoys it.

I get the feeling from reading them that most just didn't "get" it and aren't the type of player the game is aimed at. It feels like they never really sank their teeth into it, which is I expect what you need to do with this title.

Mekere

Keep us updated with how that goes! Most impressions I've seen have people diving right in as a combat class.

Nonsense! No life should begin without grasping the fundamentals that is being able to cook what you kill! No wasting food!

daydream

Banned
lol, they totally called me and I missed it because my cellphone turned itself off at some point?

WTF, lol. My friggin' luck.. :(

Mekere

Ok, I'm 2 hours in with my life as a cook.

Can't say I've seen much yet. The tutorial was quite long and a bit too verbose to my taste. It included a lot of running around gathering ingredients to cook my first 2 dishes. Still, my master was satisfied with my job and made me his pupil.

I spent a lot of time wandering around in the town and speaking with everyone. I was asked for some services, usually some ingredient gathering or bug catching. I was also asked to slay some monsters but that's not what my knives are used for! Being a cook involves a lot of running, to gather ingredients all around the place and also avoid the monsters. Until now I could cook with items I could find freely, but I'm starting to be a bit concerned about my ingredient supplies. Maybe I should pick up some fishing skills or something...

TheMoon

I get the feeling from reading them that most just didn't "get" it and aren't the type of player the game is aimed at. It feels like they never really sank their teeth into it, which is I expect what you need to do with this title.

Yea this doesn't seem like a "review-friendly" game at all. Many reviewers probably not caring much from the get-go, distracted by the "big" games, the "kiddie" look and lack of "yarr, epic tale!" seem to work against it. Like if Animal Crossing was a new game today and people wouldn't already "know" where the fun/charm lies. For some games, reviews really are completely useless.

Remember that nobody forces you to buy a game day-1 and you can always wait to read more actual player impressions.

daxy

Dunno about those reviews. I've never heard anyone complain about the difficulty in Animal Crossing or games of that kin. From what I've played so far this game is lighthearted, relaxing and a fun time sink. I honestly hope it won't get significantly more challenging later on, because I'm personally not at all in the mindset for something too complex. Reminds me a bit of Contact on DS with the way leveling skills works (or TES, e.g shooting your bow levels archery) and the way you level classes/professions. The art style is great too.

You can, yeah

Yes, you will be able to change it.

Thanks guys!

Linius

I love Eurogamer.

Eurogamer.net: 6/10
Eurogamer.nl: 7/10
Eurogamer.it: 8/10

How many more Eurogamers do we have? :p

Ok, I'm 2 hours in with my life as a cook.

Can't say I've seen much yet. The tutorial was quite long and a bit too verbose to my taste. It included a lot of running around gathering ingredients to cook my first 2 dishes. Still, my master was satisfied with my job and made me his pupil.

I spent a lot of time wandering around in the town and speaking with everyone. I was asked for some services, usually some ingredient gathering or bug catching. I was also asked to slay some monsters but that's not what my knives are used for! Being a cook involves a lot of running, to gather ingredients all around the place and also avoid the monsters. Until now I could cook with items I could find freely, but I'm starting to be a bit concerned about my ingredient supplies. Maybe I should pick up some fishing skills or something...
God, I need this game.

Xhorder

I love Eurogamer.

Eurogamer.net: 6/10
Eurogamer.nl: 7/10
Eurogamer.it: 8/10

How many more Eurogamers do we have? :p

There is actually another one: USgamer.net, the American Eurogamer (it's the same company). No review yet as far as I can see...

I've preordered my copy at WowHD.nl for a little over 30 euros (it still is this price). It's cheap, but I'll probably get it a week or two after launch. It sucks, but I guess I can wait.

darkziosj

When you first start a job you get a tutorial.
It might be boring to start all the 12 job at the beginning, it mean you'll get like 1 hours of tutorial if you rush through dialogues.

You can skip the tutorial mission for any job after your main one.

Dunno about those reviews. I've never heard anyone complain about the difficulty in Animal Crossing or games of that kin. From what I've played so far this game is lighthearted, relaxing and a fun time sink. I honestly hope it won't get significantly more challenging later on, because I'm personally not at all in the mindset for something too complex. Reminds me a bit of Contact on DS with the way leveling skills works (or TES, e.g shooting your bow levels archery) and the way you level classes/professions. The art style is great too.

Thanks guys!

Like you said this game is very lighthearted and relaxing that's the main focus of the game, but there are some monsters that will wreck you if you atack them without proper equiment lawl, im enjoying it quite a lot.

Chaos17

I know the feeling.
Imo, a reviewer saying that Fantasy life couldn't decide to be an animal corssing or a Rune Factory like game is silly. Because for me it an offline mmorpg (from the description and videos I saw), the gameplay is similar and you can also customize your room in an mmorpg. So it's just an action rpg like game with mmorpg features.

So no, Fantasy life didn't fail for me to choose its path like those reviewers said.

Top Bottom