• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

-NeoTB1-

The adventure begins!

zlCfzSlEFHUy1hZP8L

Chaos17

Overall how's the plot in the game? I kinda prefer some level of plot in my JRPG's.

Mmmh, totally depend of taste.
Some hate it, some like it.
But it's not the focus of that game (since it's just like 15 or 30hours of story), it's the gameplay which take 100 hours+ (only if you like this type of game) of our life.
That's probably why we're all together here~

So I don't advice you to buy this game if you want a good-deep story like Last of us.
It's just a lighthearted story with some stupid-cute moments like the cheesy Nintendo amiibo trailer hahaha.
Ok, maybe not that cheesy.

zlCfzSkkdcg0U2abOw

Grizzo

Overall how's the plot in the game? I kinda prefer some level of plot in my JRPG's.

Laughingly bad, with some corny storylines and tedious parts. But it'll only take you 6 hours top (and 5 of them is gonna be dialogs). This can't be said enough: I think the game shines everywhere except when it comes to the main quest. Sidequests, exploring and mastering lives is the true core of the game.

Kater

Banned
This is my character (Nima) in the outfit mercenaries get at
Hero
rank.

PkZppTq.jpg

And this is me and Grizzo carrying a bounty (Lightning Wraith) to the Bounty Clerk. 😊
gz9FH7k.jpg

Grizzo

This is my character (Nima) in the outfit mercenaries get at
Hero
rank.

PkZppTq.jpg

And this is me and Grizzo carrying a bounty (Lightning Wraith) to the Bounty Clerk. 😊
gz9FH7k.jpg

I had a great time! I finally reached level 50 thanks to you ;)

And oh man that DLC island was something else. Can't wait to go there by myself!

Kater

Banned
I had a great time! I finally reached level 50 thanks to you ;)

And oh man that DLC island was something else. Can't wait to go there by myself!
The DLC Island creatures mostly have new movesets too which makes the fights a little more engaging. When you and daydreaming are ready we could probably take on the dragon at the top of the stairs, if you want to. Though I might just switch to Paladin next time, makes fights against those a little bit easier.

Oh, and no problem.

And get a better bow for tomorrow! 😉

Kater

Banned
Anyone started as a crafting class instead of Paladin/Mercenary?

I was thinking of starting as a miner.
I started as Tailor, it's doable. You get a dagger and with that you can defend yourself good enough. Bounties don't get you as much Dash as your own crafted items anyway. And as for the mainquest, you don't actually fight that much.

Impotaku

It's advisable to start mining and lumberjack lives as soon as possible as each has a quest for mining/chopping 500 nodes/trees and if you start at the beginning by the time you are quite a few hours in you'll be well on your way. To do it from scratch a lot later on would be tedious indeed as there are not many places you can grind quickly especially for trees.

Impotaku

Everything can be changed later if you like, there is someone who will let you change your appearance in the game later on & there is the angel mirror that will let you do it whenever once you have obtained it.

RaidenZR

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before in the thread, I skimmed around but couldn't tell. Can anyone let me know what the significance is of the wish you make at the fountain? There's so many options and I have no idea how it impacts my game.

Thanks!

stupei

I kept telling myself I was going to hold off until a Buy 2 Get 1 sale, but... it's downloading now.

And I guess I'm buying the DLC.

JaCy

Just got back with the game and bought the DLC already. Its funny, I didn't get hyped for it until a month or so ago.

Anyway looking for people to add for multi(once I'm able to use it). FC: 2750-2438-9293

Meffer

I'm not sure if this was mentioned in the thread yet but here's something I discovered. While fighting, depending which direction your moving the circlepad to effects what attack you'll do. For example, when you move the circlepad in the same direction where you facing (in case towards an enemy) you'll do a jump attack.
Another one is when you move the circlepad in the direction opposite where your character is facing, they'll do a backstep slash which is pretty helpful to avoid getting hit. I only did this with a dagger though so I'm not if you can do it with a sword or a greatsword. Feel free to test this.

Zing

Banned
I started as a Miner and reached fledgling rank. So far, the dialog isn't overwhelming. It hasn't reached Golden Sun level of inanity, but I could do without the false dialog choices ("But thou must!"). I had fun talking with everyone in town and doing the newbie quests.

This game made me reach my streetpass limit. I didn't even know there was a limit. Apparently, you can only have 12 games registered for streetpass. I deleted Super Mario 3D Land to make room.

Talking to the guild office, I switched to Blacksmith to see what would happen. I didn't realize it would lock me into the job until I complete the fledgling quests. No big deal. I wanted something to do with my ore anyway. I haven't decided if I will immediately switch to Paladin after that.

I didn't buy the DLC. There are too many customization options as it is, and the new pets don't mean much to me. Most importantly, buying the DLC would mean everyone I know would have to buy it. I'll see how it goes. If I am still interested when I hit level 50 and find that I want to play multiplayer frequently, I'll buy it then.

I can already see a use for the multiple save slots. I will choose stats for the lives I primarily use. I know you can "respec" later, but I always disliked that in games. I like feeling my choices matter along the way, and I don't find being able to min/max at will very interesting. Again, I'll see how it goes once I reach high level, but I envision myself playing this as a melee character who mines, chops wood, and blacksmiths. I could make another character later who uses other skills.

Started as a wizard and enjoying it so far. Cooking and alchemy are the alternate lives so far, and they seem to level up quicker. Played until the battery died so something is happening right.

Velcro Fly

Is it wise for me to swap jobs around a ton at the start. Do I get basic skills for each job that way? Like if I switch to miner can I mine the noob ores if I switch back?

Also this might be the best written (translated?) game I've played in a long time. The dialogue just makes me crack up big time.

An hour in and I already feel like I'm going to be playing this all day tomorrow.

cackhyena

Wow, just started the game as a woodcutter. About an hour into it and holy shit at how much there is to take in with just one job. This is gonna consume me.

Meffer

Is it wise for me to swap jobs around a ton at the start. Do I get basic skills for each job that way? Like if I switch to miner can I mine the noob ores if I switch back?

Also this might be the best written (translated?) game I've played in a long time. The dialogue just makes me crack up big time.

An hour in and I already feel like I'm going to be playing this all day tomorrow.

You can do what you want.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I started as a wizard.

Then Miner.
Then Alchemist.
Then Blacksmith.
Then Wood Cutter.
Then Carpenter.
Then Hunter.
Then Tailor.
Then Fisher.
Then Cook.
Now Mercenary
Paladin Tomorrow.

Now I'm nearly up to apprentice with ALL CLASSES. Finally able to move on to the next area. Luckily you can level up most of the gathering and crafting classes as one of the fighting classes. Some of the tutorials are better than others. Having a blast though.

I can finally start playing!!! The last case of Prof. Layton vs. PW was a lot longer than I expected, so I just finished it a short while ago. After giving my 3DS a break, it's time to DIG IN. :D

Chaos17

Finally downloading this game. Anyone have any tips for starters?
I don't have the link anymore but the OP as usefull tips for beginner.

I started as a wizard.

Then Miner.
Then Alchemist.
Then Blacksmith.
Then Wood Cutter.
Then Carpenter.
Then Hunter.
Then Tailor.
Then Fisher.
Then Cook.
Now Mercenary
Paladin Tomorrow.

Now I'm nearly up to apprentice with ALL CLASSES. Finally able to move on to the next area. Luckily you can level up most of the gathering and crafting classes as one of the fighting classes. Some of the tutorials are better than others. Having a blast though.
Welcome to the infernal cycle of "one more thing to do and I will... wait I need to that one more thing" XD

Yes, when you unlock a class you get its basic skills.
So you can continue your adventure as mage for example and continue to mine or vice versa.
Just don't forget to equip the tool.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned in the thread yet but here's something I discovered. While fighting, depending which direction your moving the circlepad to effects what attack you'll do. For example, when you move the circlepad in the same direction where you facing (in case towards an enemy) you'll do a jump attack.
Another one is when you move the circlepad in the direction opposite where your character is facing, they'll do a backstep slash which is pretty helpful to avoid getting hit. I only did this with a dagger though so I'm not if you can do it with a sword or a greatsword. Feel free to test this.
You may want to check your skills list because they're some variations for some of them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Taking the time to get all the gathering classes then all the crafting classes plus one good offensive class is the way to go.

I suggest Mage to start because they can heal and none of those classes have weapon requirements. Mining and Woodcutting are great for gathering (fishing is so so early on) and feed into Blacksmithing/Alchemy and Carpentry. Cooking is also quite nice and tailoring easily offers better early armor than Blacksmithing, though that advantage seems to end quickly in the next area.

Chaos17

I chose a carpenter. Am I in trouble?
Don't forget to pick up woodcutter :)

Edit : enemies in the base game are weak, you should've no problem to kill them with your dagger also you've companions so don't worry about not being to access your some items for your life as a non combat class. You should be fine till DLC at least. I saying this because I saw on other forums being worried of having a non combat class because... they don't want to fight at all any mobs >.>'

pariah164

I just now realized that the Club Nintendo code for this game is printed on the inside of the cover art... Is this how Nintendo will be doing this from now on?

Gigante finally fell after reforming the party with Luna and
Odin
and creating a Demonic Void sword and some Dragon armor. Still took like 25 potions though!

Top Bottom