• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Chopper

Taking the time to get all the gathering classes then all the crafting classes plus one good offensive class is the way to go.

I suggest Mage to start because they can heal and none of those classes have weapon requirements. Mining and Woodcutting are great for gathering (fishing is so so early on) and feed into Blacksmithing/Alchemy and Carpentry. Cooking is also quite nice and tailoring easily offers better early armor than Blacksmithing, though that advantage seems to end quickly in the next area.

That's exactly what I've done. The Animal Crosser in me made me start out as an Angler, And I stayed that way for a good 20 hours. 50 hours in, and I've mastered that, mining, woodcutting, carpenting and blacksmithing. Now I feel as though I have all the resources available to start as an offensive class as I approach the last areas of the game (just opened up
Levitania
).

People will be inclined to get their offensive on early, but don't underestimate the power of a dagger and a party if you need to kill some stuff.

Oh, and if we sharing avatars, check out my bad self in my Hero Chopping outfit. So awesome.

zlCfzSlLKBwLAHAn7r

I've just realized that it's reeally easy to cheese some bosses with some bow skill, a party and situational awareness. I've just downed the Chimera in Levitania with no deaths and only using a single potion. Don't know how to feel about this.

How do you take screenshots/share them btw?

Linius

I've just realized that it's reeally easy to cheese some bosses with some bow skill, a party and situational awareness. I've just downed the Chimera in Levitania with no deaths and only using a single potion. Don't know how to feel about this.

Press start/select to take a screenshot.

And to be fair, the big bosses are usually long fights but not very hard. I just circle around them and time my attacks so I don't get hit much. If I use one or two high-hp potions during a boss fight that's a lot. I'm mainly using the high-sp potions during fights so I can keep on going. My fight with the golden dragon took about seven minutes with two npc's by my side.

Grizzo

What's frustrating is that they just stop chasing you after a few steps.

That's funny pretty because once they reach that sort of invisible wall that prevent them from going further, they look like they're just tired of it and mindlessly go back to what they were doing.

Kater

Banned
Gigante finally fell after reforming the party with Luna and
Odin
and creating a Demonic Void sword and some Dragon armor. Still took like 25 potions though!
Gigante is really annoying to beat for a Mercenary with low Magic Defense. His Electric attacks knocked me out a lot. Thankfully I could rely on Grizzo to help me up. 😄

Chaos17

What's frustrating is that they just stop chasing you after a few steps.

That's funny pretty because once they reach that sort of invisible wall that prevent them from going further, they look like they're just tired of it and mindlessly go back to what they were doing.

If dev keep that for they next game. They should reset monsters HP too so people won't abuse the system and kill monsters with hit and run.

Grizzo

Gigante is really annoying to beat for a Mercenary with low Magic Defense. His Electric attacks knocked me out a lot. Thankfully I could rely on Grizzo to help me up. 😄

Ugh those attacks! "You can't use items while paralyzed!" :(((

But we did it! :D

If dev keep that for they next game. They should reset monsters HP too so people won't abuse the system and kill monsters with hit and run.

Yeah they should have already done that in this one. I found myself abusing that "cheat" in the beginning of the game. But I quickly stopped because that was boring.

Chaos17

Though you sort of can play it like an AC if you mainly fish, lumber and create cute furniture for your houses :D

I have, and it reminded me of AC

Nyaaa, I shoud've written not a 100% AC >.>'
It's just it's annoying how the reviewers downgraded it and compared it only to AC while it's just not 100% like it.
It's more an offline mmorpg or monster hunter like game.
You can't go fishing for example, without killing the monsters on your way while in AC there is 0 monsters.
Fghting is part of the game and there is no social interection with npc.

Zing

Banned
Hjalp! I keep learning new jobs as soon as I become fledgling in my current job. I started as a Miner. Of course, I have to learn Blacksmith to use the ore I mined. Wait, I need lumber to make weapons and armour? Time to switch to Woodcutter.

The ultimate goal is Paladin. I always enjoy using shields in RPGs. Unless I somehow get tempted to try Carpenter, I'll finally switch to paladin after I am fledgling Woodcutter and make myself some armor and weapons.

Maybe answered already, but is there any particular need to be the relevant class for some actions? Do I contribute toward my "life" challenges if I am not that life? For example, mining when I am not the Miner. I know I have to switch to claim the challenge reward (or do I?)

Am I doing too many lives at once? :D

I just now realized that the Club Nintendo code for this game is printed on the inside of the cover art... Is this how Nintendo will be doing this from now on?
On the one hand, it's a good way to reduce paper. On the other, would prefer reversible covers. If they aren't doing reversible covers, there's really no reason for CN codes not to be there.

Chaos17

Hjalp! I keep learning new jobs as soon as I become fledgling in my current job. I started as a Miner. Of course, I have to learn Blacksmith to use the ore I mined. Wait, I need lumber to make weapons and armour? Time to switch to Woodcutter.

The ultimate goal is Paladin. I always enjoy using shields in RPGs. Unless I somehow get tempted to try Carpenter, I'll finally switch to paladin after I am fledgling Woodcutter and make myself some armor and weapons.

Maybe answered already, but is there any particular need to be the relevant class for some actions? Do I contribute toward my "life" challenges if I am not that life? For example, mining when I am not the Miner. I know I have to switch to claim the challenge reward (or do I?)

Depend of your taste, if you enjoy it that's good.
Also the good thing aout this game is to be able to wear shield when your not paladin for example hehe.

My limited experience suggests that you don't need to be the relevant class. I mined and cooked as a wizard last night. You won't have the stat boost from job specific items, but as long as you can still manage to execute the harvest, no need to be the specific class.

You do contribute toward challenges, but notice some challenges do call for specific classes. "As an X, do Y."

Impotaku

The life quests that require you to turn in a bounty to a guild have to be done with that specific life (eg giant fish for the angler, wood for the lumberjack ect), you can still turn in the bounty with another life but it wont count as completed on that lifes quest list unless you change.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Nyaaa, I shoud've written not a 100% AC >.>'
It's just it's annoying how the reviewers downgraded it and compared it only to AC while it's just not 100% like it.
It's more an offline mmorpg or monster hunter like game.
You can't go fishing for example, without killing the monsters on your way while in AC there is 0 monsters.
Fghting is part of the game and there is no social interection with npc.

Sounds great tbh

anyone know any deals on atm for UK/Europe buyers?

Really enjoying it! I can see why you all were saying it is not like Animal Crossing. I almost was getting vibes of a Elder Scrolls game, just joining different guilds and leveling them up. I grabbed all the gather lifes and did the intro to them. Now to do my favorite part and just gather gather gather!

I played for like 3 hours straight last night....didn't even touch Bayo yet lol. This game is gonna take me over isn't it?

Linius

Sounds great tbh

It's a Nintendo published title. Doubt we'll ever see a major discount on this game. If lucky maybe five euros. And remember, if you want physical this is the kind of game that will vanish at some point. No doubt it's print is limited.

Really enjoying it! I can see why you all were saying it is not like Animal Crossing. I almost was getting vibes of a Elder Scrolls game, just joining different guilds and leveling them up. I grabbed all the gather lifes and did the intro to them. Now to do my favorite part and just gather gather gather!

I played for like 3 hours straight last night....didn't even touch Bayo yet lol. This game is gonna take me over isn't it?

Welcome to the cycle ;D
It's a Nintendo published title. Doubt we'll ever see a major discount on this game. If lucky maybe five euros. And remember, if you want physical this is the kind of game that will vanish at some point. No doubt it's print is limited.
Would expect them to reprint if it's selling well, but other than the launch debut being okay for a new title and on 3DS, wonder if there are any more news if it sold well.
Sounds great tbh

thegamecollection has it for on sale for £24.95 currently.

Zing

Banned
I was actually a little bummed that my university classes are on break next week. I wanted to try for some streetpass hits. I max out Smash Bros streetpass with a bit of walking, and get plenty of Animal Crossing and other hits.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I was actually a little bummed that my university classes are on break next week. I wanted to try for some streetpass hits. I max out Smash Bros streetpass with a bit of walking, and get plenty of Animal Crossing and other hits.

I get nothing for streetpass where I live in the UK :(

Not having marriage seems like such a missed opportunity. Fantasy Life 2, hopefully. Seems that farmer and archeologist may be among the cut jobs.

Anyway, really loving the game. On my fifth novice quest now. Have accomplished next to nothing.

Grizzo

Don't you mean the Golden Dragon?

And yeah, that was an exciting fight. 😊

I got mixed up with the bosses, you're right!

Not having marriage seems like such a missed opportunity. Fantasy Life 2, hopefully. Seems that farmer and archeologist may be among the cut jobs.

Anyway, really loving the game. On my fifth novice quest now. Have accomplished next to nothing.

I don't really see what marriage would bring to the table. It might seem a little too "Harvest Moon-esque"? If anything I want even more of everything there is in this game. I feel like if they expanded on what's already there, then the game would be pretty much perfect.

Oh, and a better story too.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Wait for the Fantasy Wife DLC.
Not a thing

As for cut jobs, they originally intended for there to be 20. You can see them here. Granted, this was back when this was being made for the DS, so hard to say exactly when they decided against all of these. But yeah, you can kind of tell from the opening cinematic and certain dialogues what was originally intended I think.

It looks like I'm being given the option of skipping introductory quests--should I?

And is there an ideal gathering class to start with?
I just did the Miner tutorial and I thought it was quite fun. Gives you a lil bit of background info.

zlCfzSlA0bcfiNMqjP

:p

It looks like I'm being given the option of skipping introductory quests--should I?

As far as I've seen there's no penalty for doing so, you still get the Stars that you would have for completing the Introductory Quest. I've done it every time since the first Life. As to your second question it ultimately depends, though personally I've been doing most of the "gathering" classes; like Woodcutter and Miner first.

Ultrabum

I am thinking about buying this game. When people compare this to a cute monster hunter, I get excited and want to buy it. However, when I look at gameplay videos the combat looks like you just circle strafe and push A.

Is the combat too easy? Is it engaging? Can someone give me an example of a time when circle staging and hitting A was not not best way to fight something? Bonus points if it is a youtube video.

Thank you.

I never skip them - they're useless, but cute, and they're not really that tiresome.

I would go for Mining, gems sell pretty good (though you shouldn't sell them) and you'll be glad for the extra mining XP when you plan to go for it "seriously"

I am thinking about buying this game. When people compare this to a cute monster hunter, I get excited and want to buy it. However, when I look at gameplay videos the combat looks like you just circle strafe and push A.

Is the combat too easy? Is it engaging? Can someone give me an example of a time when circle staging and hitting A was not not best way to fight something? Bonus points if it is a youtube video.

Thank you.

I find the combat quite fun, but it can be easy for the most part.

For most non-DLC bosses you can get away with strafing. There are some hard bosses, but they're easy by Monster Hunter standards.

When you reach the DLC, a lot of bosses can't be strafed safely and you need to time your attacks properly. Some bosses can't even be combo'd if you're melee.

Here are a few examples:

Hell Gigante can be strafed kind of, but a lot of attacks with interrupt you. (Note that I'm overpowered for the fight.)

Demon Master has wide area moves that punish you for sticking close to its front and its big so you can't go around it easily.

Mythical beast trio is a rare time when you fight three bosses at once. You will be running around like a madman a lot.

Besides those, the God special request bosses (for the four combat classes) can't be strafed either, I don't think. The Lord of the Cursed (Mercenary boss) will just wipe you out if you stick close to it for long. These guys are so hard, I haven't uploaded a video because I keep dying every 10 seconds.

I am a level 19 Cook who is in the Prologue and already has the achievement for getting 1,000,000 Dosh.

For someone who loves Grinding, this game will be the death of me.

Grizzo

I am a level 19 Cook who is in the Prologue and already has the achievement for getting 1,000,000 Dosh.

For someone who loves Grinding, this game will be the death of me.

Oh god how did you manage to rake in such a huge amount of money in so little time?

I feel like everything is really expensive in this game, but then again I'm always stacking up on Mega Aid and Life Cures, so that might be why, haha

That's also why I still haven't bought a new house despite having finished the game. I'm still living as a leech in Pam's good old attic.

Oh god how did you manage to rake in such a huge amount of money in so little time?

I feel like everything is really expensive in this game, but then again I'm always stacking up on Mega Aid and Life Cures, so that might be why, haha

That's also why I still haven't bought a new house despite having finished the game. I'm still living as a leech in Pam's good old attic.

I am not sure how the other classes work, but finding one dish that sells for a lot using items that you can buy at the store down the street, buying hundreds of materials, and then Auto Moding it = shit tons of money and experience really fast.

I also have almost all of the Bliss Bonuses too.

Top Bottom