• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

TheMoon

I love my FL bros but GAF tends to overstate the "horribleness" of tutorials. :p

Takes like 15 minutes to get up to Fledgling for a new job.

It takes zero minutes since you can skip every tutorial and get the license immediately after the very first one.

You have no soul and why would you but you can.

I never skip them - they're useless, but cute, and they're not really that tiresome.

I would go for Mining, gems sell pretty good (though you shouldn't sell them) and you'll be glad for the extra mining XP when you plan to go for it "seriously"

As far as I've seen there's no penalty for doing so, you still get the Stars that you would have for completing the Introductory Quest. I've done it every time since the first Life. As to your second question it ultimately depends, though
personally I've been doing most of the "gathering" classes; like Woodcutter and Miner first.

Much obliged! I guess I just need to play a little more to understand the gameplay flow, but for now I'm starting as a miner.

Any tips for stat allocation?

Haha, I've been playing the tutorial for every job just 'cause I enjoy meeting the masters and their helpers.
There's also often people that come and go in the tutorial quests from other towns that I don't have access to yet so I'm wondering if they'll reappear down the line.

Haha, I've been playing the tutorial for every job just 'cause I enjoy meeting the masters and their helpers.
There's also often people that come and go in the tutorial quests from other towns that I don't have access to yet so I'm wondering if they'll reappear down the line.

Of course you'll meet them lol, would be a waste of a character design whose named and "unique" XD

Chaos17

Awesome! I can't wait to see how Rocque is doing after his move. :p
If you skipped the tutorial would you even be introduced to him in Castele?

Not having marriage seems like such a missed opportunity. Fantasy Life 2, hopefully. Seems that farmer and archeologist may be among the cut jobs.

Anyway, really loving the game. On my fifth novice quest now. Have accomplished next to nothing.

Or social links like in Persona 4!
There're so much NPC that' such a shame we can't know more about them.

What's the maximum friendship for NPCs?

It looks like I'm being given the option of skipping introductory quests--should I?

And is there an ideal gathering class to start with?
A lot of people recommand to get all the gathering at the begining because they will easely level with you dyring your exploration.
But your choice.

zlCfzSlA0bcfiNMqjP

Such a troll, lol

I am thinking about buying this game. When people compare this to a cute monster hunter, I get excited and want to buy it. However, when I look at gameplay videos the combat looks like you just circle strafe and push A.

Is the combat too easy? Is it engaging? Can someone give me an example of a time when circle staging and hitting A was not not best way to fight something? Bonus points if it is a youtube video.

Thank you.
1. Each weapon has kinda between 2 or 3 combos and 2 big finish moves. You can see some newbies cry about them on Miiverse because they've hard time to do them.
2. The difficulty is not like a monster hunter game but that game does offer some challenges that are worthy or time.

When I say it's a cute Monster hunter game I was talking about the general concept/type/genre of the game that both game share.
Fantasy Life probably won't have the complexity and difficulty you seek from a monster hunter game.

Enjoy them while you can because there won't be anymore cut-scene with them beside tutorials :(

Awesome! I can't wait to see how Rocque is doing after his move. :p
If you skipped the tutorial would you even be introduced to him in Castele?
No, the game consider that you've done the tutorial so npc will talk to you without aniy introduction. So people from different forums who skipped the tutorials tend to ask after who is X from my profession again ? Yup, a little bit tricky hehe.

Took me like 40 golds Lunares coins to get that set.
That game sure loves to make you farm >.>
zlCfzSlOoqgjaFtXjC

So I'm not entirely understanding the Life stuff. I started as a mercenary but I've seen ore around that I'd really like to mine. So I can change my Life to a miner and do that, but will I still be able to do mercenary stuff too? I kind of just want to do everything lol will I be changing my Life often if that is the case?

Velcro Fly

So I'm not entirely understanding the Life stuff. I started as a mercenary but I've seen ore around that I'd really like to mine. So I can change my Life to a miner and do that, but will I still be able to do mercenary stuff too? I kind of just want to do everything lol will I be changing my Life often if that is the case?

Yeah if you learn the job and get the license you can mine the ore and even have it count for challenges. You have to complete the first tutorial for your first job and then you can skip and just get the license.

Chaos17

You can unlock all the classes, go back to mercenay and you will be able to mine for example. You're not forced to be a miner to mine BUT! There're some bonus if you do the tasks with the right jobs. Also some challenges are class specific don't forget to keep an on eye on them so I suggest to bring back the bounties (ex:eek:re) in the right class.

Like for example :
- You will loot more (instead of 1 or 2 bags you will get 3)
But with good points in luck this limitation kinda disappear.

- The skill and you will get more exp for the right task and job.

- it will be easier to do the task in the right job
specially when you craft or fish, you really feel how much you suck if your skill in the job is low level or you doesn't have a high level tool.

Sorry if my explanation suck, I'm not really good in english.

vids

Unconfirmed Member
About 2 hrs in and find it endearing. I agree with some reviewers who had issue that it starts off linear, tutorial and text heavy. Regardless I'm sticking to it for the long haul and don't mind it that much.

I do have 3 questions for more seasoned players:

1) Is there a way to take a screenshot to share (via image share)?

2) Where do I enter passwords for furniture and such?

3) When / How do I start multiplayer? ie Do I have to hit a certain level first or just go to X?

Yeah if you learn the job and get the license you can mine the ore and even have it count for challenges. You have to complete the first tutorial for your first job and then you can skip and just get the license.

You can unlock all the classes, go back to mercenay and you will be able to mine for example. You're not forced to be a miner to mine BUT! There're some bonus if you do the tasks with the right jobs. Also some challenges are class specific don't forget to keep an on eye on them so I suggest to bring back the bounties (ex:eek:re) in the right class.

Like for example :
- You will loot more (instead of 1 or 2 bags you will get 3)
But with good points in luck this limitation kinda disappear.

- The skill and you will get more exp for the right task and job.

- it will be easier to do the task in the right job
specially when you craft or fish, you really feel how much you suck if your skill in the job is low level or you doesn't have a high level tool.

Sorry if my explanation suck, I'm not really good in english.

That makes way more sense than what I was thinking. So I can get all of the licenses but actually using that Life will give me bonuses and some other benefits. Got it. Thank you very much.

Chaos17

About 2 hrs in and find it endearing. I agree with some reviewers who had issue that it starts off linear, tutorial and text heavy. Regardless I'm sticking to it for the long haul and don't mind it that much.

I do have 3 questions for more seasoned players:

1) Is there a way to take a screenshot to share (via image share)?

2) Where do I enter passwords for furniture and such?

3) When / How do I start multiplayer? ie Do I have to hit a certain level first or just go to X?
These features are unlocked and explained through the tutorials/butterfly quests.
When Butterfly quest will ask to visit the guild office, talk to every clerk even if the quest don't ask you to.
They will unlock you these options.

Only the passwords aren't explained I think. So to unlock them, just visit the post Office.

That makes way more sense than what I was thinking. So I can get all of the licenses but actually using that Life will give me bonuses and some other benefits. Got it. Thank you very much.

You can be at peace with collecting jobs and not be worried on not changing into them often. But yeah, for the crafting jobs I suggest you to change into the right life.

Velcro Fly

I keep farming the noob materials and stuff while I'm running around doing job tutorials. It's pretty fun to grab stuff and hopefully have a use for it later. I'm a hoarder on video games like this so it's going to get hectic quickly I feel.

Chaos17

I keep farming the noob materials and stuff while I'm running around doing job tutorials. It's pretty fun to grab stuff and hopefully have a use for it later. I'm a hoarder on video games like this so it's going to get hectic quickly I feel.

That's good because some villagers sub quests will ask you a lot of things and Pam too ^__^
Curse them!!

I'm at level 15 and just now entering the west grassy plains. I know for a fact I'm underleveled for the volcano cave because I went in and everything took ages to do lol

Gurrry

I want this game but i am too lazy to go buy it...

My SD card is full though.. can I delete a game and re-download it if I want to play it again?

Thinking about deleteing animal crossing, would that effect my save/world in anyway?

I want this game but i am too lazy to go buy it...

My SD card is full though.. can I delete a game and re-download it if I want to play it again?

Thinking about deleteing animal crossing, would that effect my save/world in anyway?

You can't back up an AC save so I'm pretty sure all your data would be deleted.

Any game that you can back up would be fine, though.

Cheska

Would you guys say this game is pretty easy to pick and play? I've read through the meaty OP, and admittedly everything comes off as really intimidating. However, Best Buy is having a promotion tomorrow, and this is the game I'm interested in checking out. I've had little experience with Animal Crossing and Rune Factory, but I love RPG's, and this game does look charming as hell.

Gurrry

You can't back up an AC save so I'm pretty sure all your data would be deleted.

Any game that you can back up would be fine, though.

Is there a better way to go about this other than just deleting it off the card? Can I store it on the PC for easier upload later? And jeeze, so I have to keep AC on my SD forever? Shit... thats rough..

What if I deleted a game like.. Mario Golf?

cackhyena

Would you guys say this game is pretty easy to pick and play? I've read through the meaty OP, and admittedly everything comes off as really intimidating. However, Best Buy is having a promotion tomorrow, and this is the game I'm interested in checking out. I've had little experience with Animal Crossing and Rune Factory, but I love RPG's, and this game does look charming as hell.
It's extremely easy to pick up and play. There is loads to do and loads to learn how to do, but none of it feels overwhelming. Kudos to the team, because it certainly could have felt that way. A lot to take in.

What if I deleted a game like.. Mario Golf?

3dsdatabackup.png

Any game that let's you do this you're 100% safe to delete.
Redownloading the game will let you restore your save just as it was previously.
Keep a copy of your SD card on your computer for double security though.

Maybe there's a way to backup AC to a computer but with its weird save files and lockouts of past saves I personally wouldn't risk it if you have an attachment to the town on the file.

The cooking mini-game is a fun break from going out and killing stuff all the time. Already at apprentice there. Thinking about doing some fishing next since it goes well it.

Also... left a bounty crate too close to some of those wooly sheep out in the fields. Didn't realize they'd attack it since they really didn't bother me. They killed my Carroty bounty guy. Lesson learned. Drag and leave that shit where nothing can spawn.

Velcro Fly

Safe to say this game has me. Going to craft something for a quest and I realize I needed to craft something as a carpenter first. It's like my dream come true to be a one man economy in a game like this. I did it leveling alts in WoW. I'm in love and I'm still doing tutorials.

Think I'm going to start my crafting career out by making some new tools.

watershed

Banned
This game is really engrossing. I started out as a tailor and am now an apprentice! It seems like just about every Life will be fun to play.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Safe to say this game has me. Going to craft something for a quest and I realize I needed to craft something as a carpenter first. It's like my dream come true to be a one man economy in a game like this. I did it leveling alts in WoW. I'm in love and I'm still doing tutorials.

This is me as well. Especially the feeling when you get a new tool upgrade to make crafting go buy and the urge you get when you see you're only 3 bamfmodads away from getting that upgrade.

Kater

Banned
Nope, still gotcha. I only delete people that haven't turned on their 3DS in forever. :)
Good to know. :)

When are you planning to go on some multiplayer fun? I am just wondering if I should head to bed earlier, just in case you and/or Grizzo have nothing planned.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
More like Cocaine Life...

Holy fuck...

Played as chef then Angler then Hunter then lumberjack and I still feel I'm missing out on a lot of this game.

GG Level 5. That experience you got from making grindy games paid off. Thank god this isn't on PC or Wii U or I'd never leave my house.

Chaos17

Just did some sub quests too and to my suprise I recived a furniture that I can't craft (I think?) : pile of books.
It gave me a good reason to continue in hoping to get items that I can't get through crafting.
Though, I don't know if it will be available through passwords.

More like Cocaine Life...
I personally call it : world of craft, lol.

Kater

Banned
I really need to do the Hurricane Hero! and the Bladestorm challenges, aren't I? 230 stars left to fulfill to Legend and no other quest left but those two. :/

Hm, how does tomorrow evening sound? I'll be available starting.. let's say 7pm my time (GMT+2). Potentially a bit later but not by much.
Fine with me. :)

Velcro Fly

Just ranked up as a blacksmith by making some ingots and making some tools and quest stuff. Feel like gathering/crafting and having them all open to me will help things along.

So I think I'm probably going to end up only using the gathering lifes until my tools are so horrible that I need new ones. Is the blacksmith the life for making axes/picks? what about fishing rods?

**Also, does luck increase the chance for the "critical hits" in non-combat as well?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Okay.

Sucks farming was cut off. Maybe dlc?

If not, maybe they wanted to avoid the Rune Factory bandwagon.

I bought the game but I have it sealed. Wondering if I should keep it or not.

I'm leaning toward keeping.

Rune Factory is the best comparison to this game.

Take out the farming and the relationships, make the combat better, simplify the calender to basic day/night cycle, add more crafting and make the crafting a minigame and you basically have Fantasy Life.

So I think I'm probably going to end up only using the gathering lifes until my tools are so horrible that I need new ones. Is the blacksmith the life for making axes/picks? what about fishing rods?

**Also, does luck increase the chance for the "critical hits" in non-combat as well?

Yup and Carpenter for fishing rods.

Luck boosts your chance of getting rare fish as well, but dunno about any other effects.

Top Bottom