• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Well, I've got my PC hooked up to the 40" Bravia, and sometimes it's easier to just sit back with the pad.

I'd use the kb/m option for kicking your butts in MP, of course.

whitehawk

Banned
So I just won this game at an event for the PS3, but I don't have a PS3 :(

I wish they gave me a 360 version :( I guess I'll wait until tuesday and exchange it.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
irfan said:
Its the same sob story used by ATI fanboys when two G71s (7900s) were finding it difficult to beat a single X1950XTX in some games .. now the tables are flipped .. just wont work. :p
God, the 1950XTX... good times.

Nizz

AgentOtaku said:
Hadn't seen this posted anywhere else but IGN has some PC Direct Feed footage up

Looks fucking brillaint! ...especially love when the weapons jam
Oh yeah, those were posted by Sho_Nuff82 (post #294) but yeah, the game is looking sharp and it looks like a lot of fun to play! Anxious to see how the weapon jamming mechanic will fit into the gameplay...

fps fanatic said:
Oh yeah, those were posted by Sho_Nuff82 (post #294) but yeah, the game is looking sharp and it looks like a lot of fun to play! Anxious to see how the weapon jamming mechanic will fit into the gameplay...

whoops, apologies

chubigans said:
The lack of a save-anywhere feature.

Ah.

I'm not mad about it. Creates more tension and makes you think things out a lot more. Its only a problem if we're dealing with CoD4 Veteran bullshit scenarios.

Nizz

AgentOtaku said:
whoops, apologies
Hey, you're getting this on PC, right? I want to hear impressions! Personally, I'm going PS3 with this (no other choice really...). Can't wait to get my hands on this. Especially after reading on Gamersyde that they saw no differences in the 360/PS3 versions. Nice!

fps fanatic said:
Hey, you're getting this on PC, right? I want to hear impressions! Personally, I'm going PS3 with this (no other choice really...). Can't wait to get my hands on this. Especially after reading on Gamersyde that they saw no differences in the 360/PS3 versions. Nice!

PC Yeah...my Steam version unlocks in 3 days

Decado

No character model damage is a deal breaker for me. Too many shooters out this fall for me to put up with a FPS without such an obvious feature.

Decado said:
No character model damage is a deal breaker for me. Too many shooters out this fall for me to put up with a FPS without such an obvious feature.
By 'character model damage' do you mean the ability to blow limbs off enemies (non-playable characters)? Because from what I've seen in videos, the actual playable character model does indeed deform under damage (broken or dislocated limbs, shrapnel, etc.). In fact, Far Cry 2 is nearly unique in this aspect - at least I can't think of any other FPS that models player damage so graphically.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Any word on 360 controller support with FC2?

No offense but why play with a pad on PC?
For the reasons noted above. I only use my 50" Pioneer plasma for PC gaming and, while I do have a lapdesk for nostromo + mouse, I still find a pad more comfortable in a living room environment. With games released on consoles, 360 pad supports tend to perfectly duplicate that experience with enhanced visuals.

Wollan

Is the console versions the same game?
I mean, it's the same map?

I originally (couple of months back) got the impression that it was a totally different game (just linear levels) but that's not the case?

Lebron

Wollan said:
Is the console versions the same game?
I mean, it's the same map?

I originally (couple of months back) got the impression that it was a totally different game (just linear levels) but that's not the case?
same game as far as content go

Decado

endlessflood said:
By 'character model damage' do you mean the ability to blow limbs off enemies (non-playable characters)? Because from what I've seen in videos, the actual playable character model does indeed deform under damage (broken or dislocated limbs, shrapnel, etc.). In fact, Far Cry 2 is nearly unique in this aspect - at least I can't think of any other FPS that models player damage so graphically.
To an extent. Even blood stains where you shoot someone is something. I'd prefer full out model damage like Soldier of Fortune 2, but for whatever reason no developer has come even close to that bar, despite how old the game is now.

As for the character model...that *is* neat, though from what I've seen it is hardly graphic. There is no evidence of a cut when shrapnel is sticking out of your arm (looks like a clipping bug) and so on and so forth. I was expecting them to take it a LOT further and extend it to enemy models. What a waste.

Decado

Shake Appeal said:
This is a pretty minor thing to be upset about.
Minor? It is the *only* feature that is a must-have, AFAIC. I couldn't care less about burning grass or uber bloom when shooting your enemies is so incredibly dull and unbelievable. These are supposed to be interactive games. When I shoot someone I expect them to look like they've been shot. Not have some red mist appear half a foot in front of them to put them to sleep.

KrawlMan

Extra Missions for HMV Preorders of Far Cry 2

The Georgian
The Georgian informant has gone into hiding at the Fuel Depot in UFLL territory, find him and discover what your predecessor learned from him about the Jackal’s location.

• The Bolivian
The Bolivian informant is on the run, trying to escape the country by stealing a plane from a small airfield in APR territory. Try to get to him before your predecessor does.

• Special Delivery
Your employers have more information for you about your predecessor – learn the location of his new dead drop and raid it to find information about his secret meetings.

• Le Francais
A French smuggler and arms dealer who may have been providing arms to the Jackal has been tipped off, and your predecessor is trying to stop him from crossing the border. Find out what Frenchman’s price is.

Also,

ButtonMaser.co.nz Far Cry 2 Hands-On

Treo360

You know what's awesome?

Shooting at some checkpoint guards only to see two of them limp away. I start firing some more at a distance and thought that I saw two drop. I proceed to enter the checkpoint as I'm in need of some serious First aid. I enter a shanty and immediately come under fire; The fucker! There he is lying up against the wall bleeding to death on last stand firing away at me!:lol

Munin

Decado said:
Minor? It is the *only* feature that is a must-have, AFAIC. I couldn't care less about burning grass or uber bloom when shooting your enemies is so incredibly dull and unbelievable. These are supposed to be interactive games. When I shoot someone I expect them to look like they've been shot. Not have some red mist appear half a foot in front of them to put them to sleep.

Shooting enemies is dull and unbelievable because they don't have decals on their models? Can you please explain me how you'd normally see those decals in the first place when shooting at enemies 50m away? Or do you walk up to them afterwards and jack off to their bullet hole-ridden dead bodies?

:lol You have some issues.

Decado said:
Sorry, but it's very minor.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Leave that Soldier of Fortune gratuitous gore bullshit out of my games. Thanks.

Decado said:

oh please.. your definitely the minority here that feels this way and if your trying to say Far Cry 2 is not a good game for what it is...your definitely hating for no reason for what ever reason.

MercuryLS

Banned
chespace said:

I love this stuff in Gears though, but that is all about intimate, close-up battles. In games like Far Cry 2 it's unnecessary.

Decado

Munin said:
Shooting enemies is dull and unbelievable because they don't have decals on their models? Can you please explain me how you'd normally see those decals in the first place when shooting at enemies 50m away? Or do you walk up to them afterwards and jack off to their bullet hole-ridden dead bodies?

:lol You have some issues.
Yeah, 'cause you're *never* close to someone when you shoot them
...or when you go to collect their weapon
...or their ammo
:roll

Nizz

Treo360 said:
You know what's awesome?

Shooting at some checkpoint guards only to see two of them limp away. I start firing some more at a distance and thought that I saw two drop. I proceed to enter the checkpoint as I'm in need of some serious First aid. I enter a shanty and immediately come under fire; The fucker! There he is lying up against the wall bleeding to death on last stand firing away at me!:lol
I can't wait!...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
chespace said:
Indeed. Seeing limbs torn off is a bit unsettling for me, even though I love me a heapful of violence in movies. It just feels different dishing out the damage myself than watching passively, I guess.

JBuccCP

chespace said:
I agree for the most part. It would be kind of cool though if you could chop stuff off with a machete.

dark10x said:
For the reasons noted above. I only use my 50" Pioneer plasma for PC gaming and, while I do have a lapdesk for nostromo + mouse, I still find a pad more comfortable in a living room environment. With games released on consoles, 360 pad supports tend to perfectly duplicate that experience with enhanced visuals.
I can understand that. I should have put it together that people are hooking up their PCs to their HDTVs. In that situation, I think I would prefer a pad as well. I've never been too good at console shooters though, so I tend to focus on the kb+mouse setup.

Also: 3 days and 5 hours until I'm burning down the Savanna says steam, woooo! I wish there was preload since the game is 12 gigs but I think I'll have to go in to work anyway so I can just come home to a freshly downloaded game. Can't wait.

Tr4nce

I keep wanting to tune in on that JustinTv live stream, but I don't want to spoil the game too much for myself. This game looks so great, so much fun. Can't wait until I shove this sucker into my PS3. I'm gonna do alot of exploring first I think :)

Edit: check out this cool physics movie on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBi_Yd-KENQ

I can understand that realistic gore and weapon damage is, well, more realistic, but to boycott a game or refuse to buy it simply because it doesn't feature the above is more than a little creepy to me.

Shake Appeal said:
I can understand that realistic gore and weapon damage is, well, more realistic, but to boycott a game or refuse to buy it simply because it doesn't feature the above is more than a little creepy to me.

Agreed. COD:waw has people being ripped in half and such and while it's a more realistic and visceral addition from COD 4 it's not like it effects gameplay.

Top Bottom